Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:20:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Mature Content? Who knew? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mature Content? Who knew?  (Read 17162 times)
Dren
Terracotta Army

on: November 09, 2007, 07:37:49 AM

Can a mod rename that thread please?  My work's filter picks up on profanity in the subject line and blocks stuff like that.

I think his body of work covers the profanity part nicely (read from home,) but I'd like to keep up on this game.

I'm on the edge for buying it....or not.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:03:33 AM by Dren »
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:40:51 AM

I'm on the edge of buying it too, but I want to know first what the M rating is for.  I don't want to buy it if I can't play it around my kids (9 and 11).  Diablo 2 has an M rating, and I have no idea why - demonic imagery is not a problem around this household, language isn't either, at least not the normal bad language stuff.  GTA is out of the question, however.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:44:50 AM

I think the M is for gore.  Zombie and demon bits fly everywhere.  You can turn off blood, though.  You don't have to worry much about weirdo strangers saying stuff to them either since barely anyone even turns on the chat box.  Including me.  It's too annoying to look at.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:12:04 AM

Can a mod rename that thread please?  My work's filter picks up on profanity in the subject line and blocks stuff like that.

Done.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:13:52 AM

There's not really any MAJOR reasons a kid can't play or watch Hellgate.

And as Signe said, you can turn off the ridiculous blood.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:18:09 AM

Even the few NPCs that curse aloud are censored. I keep hearing "What the *BEEP* is that?"

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:47:41 AM

Can this thread please have the invectives removed from angry.bob's thread added into its own title before it gets denned, as some sort of karmic balancing act?  swamp poop

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:52:46 AM

I'm on the edge of buying it too, but I want to know first what the M rating is for.  I don't want to buy it if I can't play it around my kids (9 and 11).  Diablo 2 has an M rating, and I have no idea why - demonic imagery is not a problem around this household, language isn't either, at least not the normal bad language stuff.  GTA is out of the question, however.

Why the hell you would want to scare the crap outta kids or have them experiencing nightmares because of demons means no below Teen ratings, then add blood and language is why it's M rated.

I wouldn't let a 9 year old watch this game though.

It's also missing an epilepsy warning, which I can say this game DESPERATELY NEEDS.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:19 AM

I'm in the same boat.  I have my computer in our living room so I can be accessible to my family at all times.  Anything I play gets watched... A LOT.  Sound isn't a problem as I typical go without or use headphones if necessary.

I figured this wouldn't be bad or any worse than Diablo...just 3D and maybe more in-your-face.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:12:49 AM

Diablo with 3d and more in your face is going to have to wait until the 9 year old grows up some then.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  This is exactly what I need to know.

Now, if they get the bugs worked out, maybe I can only play when the kids are at school....

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:05:37 PM

I think I'll go ahead and get it even with the risk.  If it doesn't feel right, I'll just play it later at night after they go to bed.  It isn't a showstopper, but it is a bit of a pain.

This is the one factor that prevents me from getting The Witcher.  Hell, I don't think I've seen a mature content movie for something like 5-6 years.  huh
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:11:30 PM

Even the few NPCs that curse aloud are censored. I keep hearing "What the *BEEP* is that?"

They arnt censored on mine. The most notable and awesome being Arlo in Oxford Station.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 12:45:33 PM

You have a euro version or something?  Mine are annoyingly censored.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 12:47:19 PM

undecided i want mine uncensored
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 12:58:12 PM

Good thing it's only blood and gore.  A boob would have scarred the kiddies for life.

Over and out.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 01:49:27 PM

On your birthday, I'll get on TS in the middle of the night when you play games and scream obscenities at you until you burst out in tears.  How's that?   awesome, for real

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 01:54:31 PM

On your birthday, I'll get on TS in the middle of the night when you play games and scream obscenities at you until you burst out in tears.  How's that?   awesome, for real

It'd be cheaper than that 900 number I use for the same thing.  I think he should go for it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:17 PM

You have a euro version or something?  Mine are annoyingly censored.

Nope, I have the Gogamer.com preorder, standard. I wonder if its just Arlo isnt censored or if it has some thing to do with having had the beta version installed. In beta there was no censor ether.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 04:13:08 PM

Bought and installing.  If I like it I am going to make my oldest sit down and finish the game in hardcore.  awesome, for real

We just watched Alien the other night, I think she will love this shit.   In love

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 06:06:13 PM

You are so cute when you pretend to be the boss.  They participate because you amuse them. 

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:29 PM

Now I need to find what file it is for Arlo's speaking and replace it.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 07:21:28 AM

I got the game and played it all day Saturday and Sunday.  The kids at random times sat down next to me to watch and didn't have any problems with it.  I didn't see anything on there that was that bad.  We've gone through two nights with nobody screaming in the middle of the night, so it is all good.

Good game.  Yeah, I'll be playing the snot out of it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Mature Content? Who knew?  
Jump to: