Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: How do you Craft? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you Craft?  (Read 28720 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: November 07, 2007, 09:40:11 AM

So.  There's the Augmentor, which is nice -- pay for enhancements to your gear.  You can drop mods onto your gear, for bonuses -- nice again.  There's the de-Augmentor, which I assume strips stuff out.

But what do you do with all the recycled stuff -- wood, metals etc.  How does the Nano Forge work?  Do you need individual recipes for it?  And if so, are they only available via drops (since there's no trading in the game).

And what about the NPC's near the Merchant?  What are they selling and how does that work?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:44:57 AM

There is a npc in every station that rnadomly generates a set of items you can craft using the resouces gained from breaking things down.  She/he stands near the augmentor/deaugmentor machines and has the greek L thing over his/her head I think..

Basically..

-ID and break down EVERYTHING, identified items give you more crafting components
-always check the crafting npc & see if there is anything awesome to craft
-ignore the main vendor guy, he never sells anything worth shit
-use your money to add bonuses to items and buy consumables (teleporters & ID's)

I think that is the basic scheme.  Also learn to play the minigame, its pretty awesome for getting teh drops.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:54:29 AM

The nano-forge just upgrades the level of the item you put in there.  The only thing I've bothered putting in there is my rifle, and it just increased the damage on it.

As far as the recipe NPC is concerned, is there any rhyme or reason to what they offer?  It seems that about 90% of the items they offer is for Evoker/Summoner, and it's almost always green crap.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:09:35 AM

The crafting vendor seems random, though I wonder if luck affects the quality of items available... Careful using the nanoforge on weapons; raising an item's level could make some of the mods in it unusable. (It doesnt take them out for you, they just stay in the gun nonfunctioning). Hoax's post is spot-on (though I dont buy teleporters, just use the recall skill most of the time as I rarely want to go back).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 10:55:47 AM

Something I was testing in beta, and part of the weapons disappearing bug which does happen quite often.

Firstly, start with a weapon that has no color, but look for one that has the most mod slots. There is a chance that you'll find one with a lot of mod slots on a low level weapons dealer, which is totally worth it for 150-200 palladium. You could of course wait for a drop one, already with stats that has more mod slots, but that is a crap shoot and the crafting weapons with mods and increasing them is more of a guarantee.

Good example was the rifle I had offered in the Items thread which I gave away already.

This weapon is Level 9, so using the augmentrix you could add three powers to it, and each power level cost 1000 palladium to add for every weapon level. So, a common property adding a random power would be 9x1000, and then double for each power level up. You basically have to hope for the random properties to work out, but again more mod slots is what you're shooting for.

This rifle's random stat I added to it was a great MM rapid fire for a common add, and then using mods for damage, crit and effects, it would definitely compete with any legendary item edit to add: (or maybe this was a lucky drop I had). You can also add powers to green blue items, not sure if you can to legendary (I also assumed I could never afford the palladium for that).

Next is the De-Modifier, which of course removes mods. Mods have certain levels, and of course finding (creating) better ones you will want to replace them. The cost of this is according to mod and item levels (I think), but it's definitely reasonable for interchanging a mod that's better, changing effects for the mini-game etc..

The Nano Forge uses decompiled bits to increase a weapon item level, again using the rifle example above, that is a level 9 weapon, so adding levels with the "bits" would increase the item level so you should always augment an item, before you use the Nano-forge being the augmentrix is based on weapon level.

The decompiled bits are also for making things from the vendor who has random stuff on them. Going to them via using the travel terminals in different cities, you can quite effectively hunt down modifiers and even equipment to make for yourself instead of waiting for the luck for drops. I was able to make quite a few legendary items for myself, instead of waiting for them to drop, but now you can't craft legendary items anymore. Making mods for different uses is worth it too, as well as dmg stacking, whatever you actually want to select. I leaned mostly on crit chances, damage types and crit bonuses, but with this system you can modify weapons with many slots to make them infinitely better than legendary weapons.

I can post an example later of what I mean, I'll take a screenshot of the weapon I did this with versus the legendary one that dropped.. It was especially hilarious because the Covent Garden merchant who I bought the low level weapon on said to me "Your experiments are facisating".. I was almost tempted to buy this game, except some experiments disappear, or omg if you warp in town or get crashy something with items inside any of these machines. Had it happen to me twice, but that is the common factor I saw in 90% of postings.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:59:50 AM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 11:22:32 AM

Oooo... thanks for the info, Tao.  You are a doll face.   smiley

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 11:28:59 AM

Keep in mind a weapon can only be upgraded 5 times. So a level 9 rifle can be raised to a max of lvl 19 (iirc, 2 'item levels' per upgrade now)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:43:31 AM

Keep in mind a weapon can only be upgraded 5 times. So a level 9 rifle can be raised to a max of lvl 19 (iirc, 2 'item levels' per upgrade now)
Didnt know that, thanks. Is the number of upgrades you've done to a weapon saved anywhere visible, or do you just have to keep track yourself until you try and its "ZOMG FAIL"?

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:10:05 PM

No way to track it, but when you pur ir in the auguentrix or nano forge it won't let you even try to upgrade it.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 02:08:14 PM

There is a npc in every station that rnadomly generates a set of items ... and has the greek L thing over his/her head I think..

Ah, the Greek L one of the strongest currencies in the world - even after demons invade the Bank of England.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 02:09:45 PM

There is a npc in every station that rnadomly generates a set of items ... and has the greek L thing over his/her head I think..

Ah, the Greek L one of the strongest currencies in the world - even after demons invade the Bank of England.
That should not have been green. Too funny for green.
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 04:32:04 PM

You can place augments on legendary items as well but the cost of the augments scales with the quality of the item (putting a legendary augment on a legendary item is damned expensive).  My experience however is that you cannot place augments on unique items (tried to augment a unique sniper rifle and it wouldn't let me for any quality augment).  You can upgrade uniques however just like anything else.  The only limitation is that your character level has to match the level of the item to upgrade it (otherwise it tells you that you need more experience first and grays out the buttons)

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:44:57 PM

The best part is I've been to England, totally didn't think of pounds at all.  In fact never thought about it until I was trying to identify the guy for whoever posted asking about him...

But yes, as usual my post-from-the-hip style is great for the lulz, I'm here all fucking week.   swamp poop

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
EvilJohn
Developers

Realtime Worlds

Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 04:59:22 AM

You can still find legendary on the crafter NPCs, just more rarely. Uniques were removed from crafters afaik with the patch on Monday, not legendaries.

EJ Moreland 'UncleEej'
Director of Business Planning, All Points Bulletin
Realtime Worlds
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 04:26:48 PM

Did anyone else encounter a bug when you upgrade armor at the nanoforge? - when upgraded all the stats remain the same, but the armor and shields actually dropped by 1.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 03:36:19 AM

Yea Register, I've had that happen several times, usually when upgrading rare/legendary items.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 08:07:20 AM

The best part is I've been to England, totally didn't think of pounds at all.  In fact never thought about it until I was trying to identify the guy for whoever posted asking about him...

But yes, as usual my post-from-the-hip style is great for the lulz, I'm here all fucking week.   swamp poop
£££

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:11 AM

$$$$$$¢¢¢   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 10:52:58 AM

Yea Register, I've had that happen several times, usually when upgrading rare/legendary items.

This happened in Beta as well.  The method for fixing it was too... upgrade again.  I think it was that if you did two upgrades consecutively then even though the first one would drop you a point the second one would actually go up double the amount expected.  So, if you want to upgrade a high quality piece of armor you have to have enough components available to do a back to back upgrade.

I don't know if this is true between upgrade sessions, what I saw on the boards suggested that you had to do it all at once to see the proper effect.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 12:13:56 AM

I seem to be retarted. How do I disassemble stuff?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 01:19:44 AM

It's okay, I've done tech support.

Hold down Hold-Right Click on the item, highlight the bolt icon in the upper left of the pop-up wheel, release the mouse button.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:20:04 AM

It's okay, I've done tech support.

Hold down Hold-Right Click on the item, highlight the bolt icon in the upper left of the pop-up wheel, release the mouse button.

Ah. Perhaps I should have taken a moment to check out the item screen, instead of throwing mods on my stuff and running off to pew-pew!

Thanks.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 09:22:51 AM

I really do like this aspect of the game.  So many times in DS or TQ I've thought what a waste of items left behind.  There is so much potential so make everything count towards your progress in the game.  They've nailed it here.

However, I have to agree that you should be able to set a color level max to keep and just shred the rest auto.  Like somebody else said, an autosort would be lovely at least.  I'd like to see a system that at least lets you go through one instance without having to stop and manage inventory mid-fight.

If it is one thing I've learned, those monsters way way way down the hall there?  Yeah, they will come all the way down here and nail you while you have your nose stuck in your backpack.  And when you get done killing them?  Yeah, there are 15 more that just popped up behind you from that bend in the trail you were going to come back to next.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 09:47:21 AM

I used to be of the school of thought to break down everything.  Not anymore, I have crafted exactly one piece of equipment in 22 levels.  For the most part drops keep you ahead of the curve for equipment and weapons.  There has only been two times I have fallen behind in one piece of gear or another.  I couldn't find a decent pair of leggings forever so I crafted a pair and I needed another sword due to my damage falling off, that was solved by Mrhat passing a legendary sword.

I'm now cashing in just about everything in anticipation of them fixing the augmentransmorgifier thingy so I can bolster legendary weps/gear with cash.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 10:16:49 AM

While I do check the crafting vendor everytime I'm in a station, I use most of my materials to upgrade the base stats of my gear. This way, gear with good properties (+luck, for example) or a lot of mod slots isn't outleveled so quickly.

That said, I do sell some of my found lewt; anything in my inventory when I'm at a station gets vendored, but when I fill up in an instance, it all gets sharded. This seems to be a good balance, since I have a ton of materials and a modest sum of cash, should there ever be a use for it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 01:23:26 AM

Today I paid 7200 palladiums to augment my sword of choice with a rare augmentation, and I got some (skill 2) which apparently is not one of my class skill. Does it mean I am screwed/wasted money as my char won't use that skill anyway? I guess so, just want a confirmation. It sucks, anyway. You pay to augment your sword and it suddenly tranforms into a great item.. for a different class!

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 01:38:30 AM

Pretty much.  My latest snafu with that was burning 13600 Palladium to stick 3 rare properties on an item.  Not only did these properties not particularly impress, but I soon found a chest piece with better properties.  So, basically the augumatrix is just a colossal gamble.  Stick Legendary on something if you've got the cash to burn and you're feeling really, really confident you're not about to replace that item anyway.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 03:27:44 AM

Falconeer, thats a problem with the faction system, in that there is a ton of lewt that you can use but isnt useful. In D2 each class had its own weapons to an extent, so you wouldnt see "+1 Bone Spear" on a scepter, while in HG:L swords can have Blademaster or Guardian skills. Because of this, paying to add properties to an item is even more of a shot-in-the-dark.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 05:00:23 AM

I've been breaking everything down just to be able to raise the base level of my really good items.  That's about it.  I do Augmenting only when I feel like I have tons of money  to burn.  I don't go for much cash just because the only thing I'd spend it on is augmenting right now.  I get plenty of heal and energy boosts so I don't have to buy those.  I do buy those ID things, but they are very cheap.

Realistically though, you get soooo many drops, you don't go very long lacking in good gear if you fall behind.  I really do the crafting system as a little mini-game to pass the time, and sometimes I get lucky with a really nice level boost or augment.

I have had occasions to really want to hold onto a legendary item for a long time.  Those things really are da bomb.  I typically try to max out the 5 upgrades to those when I can.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 06:04:54 AM

Heh.

I had 870 of some of the crafting items.  I stopped, just selling everything now.

Reallly what I'd like to see is some sort of shift-click or ctrl-click to auto-break down items that aren't legendary without a prompt.  It's the prompt that bothers me.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:33 AM

Heh.

I had 870 of some of the crafting items.  I stopped, just selling everything now.

Reallly what I'd like to see is some sort of shift-click or ctrl-click to auto-break down items that aren't legendary without a prompt.  It's the prompt that bothers me.

So very much agree on a one click auto-break.

I sell the crafting items that don't make sense for my class.  The rest I collect and blow on upgrading legendary equipment.  I don't craft anything.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: How do you Craft?  
Jump to: