Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  (Read 135627 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #140 on: November 16, 2007, 05:18:01 AM

That's the stretch I was talking about.

Back to Schild's quote:

Actually, Loot and Leveling are the essence of all current MMORPGs.

Not in SB.
There's a difference between "needing resources to build something in your game" and "the essence of your game". And loot is 50% of that quote anyway.
Shadowbane is all about the conflict. Leveling doesn't matter anymore as everyone gets to 75 (the cap) in 3 days and the best or close to best gear is pretty easy to obtain and it's basically "capped" too.

It's not like there's no loot, it just isn't the essence of SB. Not even a smaller bit of it.
Unless you call "loot" the cities you can "steal" to your enemies after wiping them off the map.

To answer your question, while in all the other MMORPGs the "loot" is needed by ANY character unless you want to go out naked, in SB once you are decently equipped there's a fair chance that someone else who cares more built the cities and gather the resources for you and you can just focus on fighting, warring and pillaging.

schild
Administrator

Reply #141 on: November 16, 2007, 06:33:17 AM

What are you babbling about? Just because Loot is easy to obtain doesn't mean it's not part of SB. And the fact that you even referenced SB has me on the lollercoaster. Also, the reason everyone gets to 75 in 3 days is because you have to to compete. And once again, just because it's easy to obtain level 75 doesn't mean it can be avoided.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: November 16, 2007, 06:44:04 AM

What are you babbling about? Just because Loot is easy to obtain doesn't mean it's not part of SB.

"part of" definitely different from "the essence of".

Anyway I don't care about nitpicking and this is (because of me) getting too long already.
I just wanted to point out that some MMORPGs definitely have something else as the "essence", and in the case of EVE, SB and Pre-Trammel Ultima Online, it isn't/wasn't leveling nor loot, but instead humans and the way they deal with each others.

schild
Administrator

Reply #143 on: November 16, 2007, 07:21:45 AM

Humans and the way they deal with eachother are metagame, always. Devs can't predict or program for that on a reasonable scale.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #144 on: November 16, 2007, 07:43:22 AM

What's a Q23?

I tried to  Google It but the top 3 responses to "Q23 tom chick" are f13 links and my brain has been trained never to look below the top three.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #145 on: November 16, 2007, 07:45:32 AM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #146 on: November 16, 2007, 07:51:57 AM

Here are two links to make Schild mad because I bet he will click them and read way too much...

Link#1
Link#2

What are these sites? Suddenly its like I almost know what the fuck Schild has been on about all those times.

fucking late for work now, thanks a lot tom chick...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: November 16, 2007, 07:53:38 AM

Humans and the way they deal with eachother are metagame, always. Devs can't predict or program for that on a reasonable scale.

Ok, so loot and levels are "the essence" of EVE and Shadowbane? You convinced me. Sheesh.  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #148 on: November 16, 2007, 08:20:53 AM

What are these sites? Suddenly its like I almost know what the fuck Schild has been on about all those times.

You should read other sites where the admins post a lot. I'll seem like the sanest of the entire bunch and it'll even make people like Geldon drive you less insane.
Ixxit
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 16, 2007, 08:38:36 AM

fucking late for work now, thanks a lot tom chick...

Quarter to Three has been around for years and the  community has members from the gaming industry, members of the gaming press, and a large number of everday gamers.  Both Lum and Raph post there and even Serek Dmart until he got banned  awesome, for real.   Been posting there for years; a lot of good and different perspectives there.

Oh, and  Tom Chick's Hellgate Review? I thought it summed up the strengths and weaknesses pretty well.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
lariac
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 16, 2007, 09:13:42 AM

Even though I had my suspicions about HGL due to the closed beta (and they were correct), and have swore not to give my gaming money to a half-baked product, I think Tom's review was pretty good; matching the general consensus to what I have read on here and Q3.

However, I do disagree with his review of Assassins Creed.

Good thing out of all this is that I went out and bought Titan's Quest and been enjoying the hell out that game. I probably will pick up HGL in a year or so, after the bugs are worked out, and hopefully after they change their pricing model.

and Schild,

You are passionate about games and that is a good thing, but sometimes that inner fanbois of yours comes out. Sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. Keep it up though cause it makes a decent discussion .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 09:15:50 AM by lariac »

`A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pāna`i
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: November 16, 2007, 04:10:05 PM

I like the shortness of 1up reviews. If you look at multi-page reviews most of them are just tedious recounting of backstory and move lists.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #152 on: November 16, 2007, 04:18:13 PM

Yeah but if I hadn't been playing HG:L for the last week or so I wouldn't have been able to figure out anything useful from that review.

Did he nail exactly how anyone sane should feel about HG:L?  Pretty much.  But he fucking only glossed over with the lightest of touches the reasons why they should feel that way.  I was giving him credit for not being a cockshill which I thought was considered a pretty novel thing among game journalists, I wouldn't know because I don't read fucking reviews unless one of you people links me to them.

I do agree though, long reviews suck balls too because eventually they are just spoilers and crap about the development cycle which means nothing to me in my role as Joe.Gamer

-William Gibson
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 22, 2007, 03:18:44 PM

hmm.. looks like I got this for Christmas.

However from looking at the threads and shit here.  I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Damn you Witcher, for being sold out!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 22, 2007, 03:47:58 PM

Eh, it's a fun little dungeon romp, as long as you don't scarf the game down in two days and then go ballistic over the plethora of bugs you'll get slammed with by gobbling up all the content in one go. Like Schild.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #155 on: December 22, 2007, 03:58:20 PM

I can be blamed for many, many things. But not bugs and developer incompetence.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 22, 2007, 04:48:59 PM

Eh, it's a fun little dungeon romp, as long as you don't scarf the game down in two days and then go ballistic over the plethora of bugs you'll get slammed with by gobbling up all the content in one go. Like Schild.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yeah I don't tend to burn through games that often.. it really has to grab my attention from the first hour of gameplay, or I'll play it an hour here or there. 

Question though, is it even worth it to sub?  I wasn't planning on it right off the bat.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 22, 2007, 06:57:17 PM

No real point in subbing before you finish your first run through unless you desperately need item storage.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 22, 2007, 09:31:27 PM

I didn't sub, and I have no reason to for now.

Hell, I mostly play offline.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 23, 2007, 06:53:55 PM

I can be blamed for many, many things. But not bugs and developer incompetence.

Syphilis?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  
Jump to: