Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  (Read 135630 times)
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

on: October 30, 2007, 04:55:59 AM

Since I know many of you are on the fence about Hellgate, I figured I'd post some things I've found here and there so you can make an informed decision.

The following review is a 12 page monster. Chock full of videos, screens, details etc. IMO it hits the bulk of the major points of the game and then some. (It's also riddled with spelling errors etc. so be warned)

http://www.gamersglobal.com/special/hands-on/hellgate-london

I'll keep adding to this OP as the day rolls out. With the launch tonight I'd wager we're gonna see a media landslide.

Here is the world map,  all of it. Definitely spoilers here if you want to keep yourself in the dark.

http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hglmapcleanjy1.jpg

As you can see acts 4 and 5 are roughly the same size as 1-3 put together.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 06:28:50 AM by Falwell »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:31:38 AM

Gamersglobal.com is primarily a news website where every gamer can publish news just as we editors can. Still, we all have an extensive print and online magazine background, so a review without a rating at the end just doesn't feel right.

awesome, for real

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:42:54 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:45:15 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:50:19 AM

There isn't one, not really.

But i am of the opinion that Dungeon runners is a better diablo type game. But the two games are completely different tones... I think DR is more fun and funny.

Anyway, that map just reminded me of the DR map. *shrug*

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:42:07 AM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 09:44:21 AM

I still can't get over the fact that there were no pictures in the news release or the thread on f13 about the chunk w/ more cleavage in DR...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:01 AM

So how exactly does the mmo part of this work?  Is it like BattleNet?  GuildWars?  DungeonRunners?

Why does it have an M rating?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:50:55 AM

So how exactly does the mmo part of this work?  Is it like BattleNet?  GuildWars?  DungeonRunners?

Why does it have an M rating?

Its like GuildWars, but with much less interaction and grouping. Also it has a lot of cussing from some of the NPCs.

I like the game, and plan on getting it, but it has been so over hyped, I am expecting a clusterfuck launch of epic proportions.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:52:46 AM

If anything, this game has been COMPLETELY underhyped. Due to the length of the NDA and crap PR they have, it has been ANYTHING but overhyped.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 10:01:47 AM

If anything, this game has been COMPLETELY underhyped. Due to the length of the NDA and crap PR they have, it has been ANYTHING but overhyped.

Correct. I've told over a dozen people about this game, people that I know would be interested in it, and none of them ever heard about it before.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 10:21:10 AM

I still can't get over the fact that there were no pictures in the news release or the thread on f13 about the chunk w/ more cleavage in DR...

lol, yeah. I relay enjoy the news letters.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:54:29 AM

Did you miss the fact that they had 4+ page ads in PC Gamer, and Intel is using the game for their latest ad?
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 12:00:51 PM

Did you miss the fact that they had 4+ page ads in PC Gamer, and Intel is using the game for their latest ad?

Once again, I don't even notice ads.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 12:06:19 PM

Once again, I don't even notice ads.

Neither do we.   awesome, for real
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 12:11:52 PM

It hasn't been underhyped. It's on the cover of next month's PC Gamer too, with the first magazine review. In classic PCG fashion, the review must have been written during beta. PCG gave it an 89%, which I strongly suspect will be the highest score HGL gets. It's a solid 8 on the 7-9 scale.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 12:16:00 PM

Sam, an eggplant, newsflash.

People don't read fucking magazines. Especially not PC game ones.

They have not been hardcore with ads. Their community outreach is dick. And they JUST started tv ads in a tiny dosage.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 12:21:40 PM

They have not been hardcore with ads. Their community outreach is dick. And they JUST started tv ads in a tiny dosage.

I read magazines.  At the book shop.  I like the HGL ads.

But ya, it's not so much the advertising as they (marketing) didn't really define what the game is to the user at all.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 12:25:45 PM

You have 3,380 posts on f13.net.

You are not the public. You hunt down information and devour it like a wolverine.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 12:27:39 PM

Wrong.

The public devours information.  The information being projected is inaccurate.

Edit: I'd like to add that 70% of those posts are made while procrastinating.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:29:40 PM by MrHat »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 12:34:09 PM

Err...you are incorrect. Before you tout my post count and information devouring trait, remember where I work.

I'd also like to point out that a 70% procrastination posting rate is amazingly low imo.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 12:37:34 PM

Its gotten a good amount of "talk" over at MMORPG.com, mostly about what to classify it as.. But as far as news articles about it there, its been fairly slim.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 12:39:25 PM

ONCE AGAIN, PEOPLE READING A FORUM ON THE INTERNET.

Please stop pointing at hardcore motherfuckers who browse specialty types as evidence of anything.

It's not even anecdotal, it's just silly.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 12:40:39 PM

Of course people read magazines. They just aren't terribly relevant when the only way to get the review out before the game releases is to unethically evaluate an early beta.

MMORPG.com probably didn't cover it because HG:L isn't a MMORPG, just like GW or diablo2. It's not massively multiplayer, it's just multiplayer.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 12:41:51 PM

Why is schild shouting at us?   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 12:42:36 PM

Please stop pointing at hardcore motherfuckers who browse specialty types as evidence of anything.

I think it might be time to shift your perception on this.  We're not that special if we show up in google when you search for information about a game.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 12:43:44 PM

People who don't know about Hellgate are not going to be able to google it.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 12:43:53 PM

It is valid, because in contrast LOTRO and many other AAA games get Lots of news articles there... That why i brought it up, even on the "hardcore motherfuckers who browse specialty types" sites, there is, and was next to nothing as far as hype/advertising.

I was agreeing with you...

Tell me then, what are valid advertisement then? Who should they have targeted if not gamers and gamers outlets?

Sometimes you don't make sense.

MMORPG.com probably didn't cover it because HG:L isn't a MMORPG, just like GW or diablo2. It's not massively multiplayer, it's just multiplayer.

They did cover it, and it is listed there as it does quallify for thier rules as a MMO, they also have Guildwars ETC...

Point being, there was no news to be posted, from the HG:L people, or otherwise. They definitely didn't take out many ads in comparison to other games that ARE listed there. They do have a few.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:50:12 PM by Mrbloodworth »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 12:44:03 PM

Here is the world map,  all of it. Definitely spoilers here if you want to keep yourself in the dark.

http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hglmapcleanjy1.jpg

I notice that even after our inevitable slide into hell, there *still* won't be any decent transport links south of the river.

Ho hum.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 12:46:14 PM

Why is schild shouting at us?   undecided

I read all schild's posts in his shouting voice.

I suspect I have the tone right more often than wrong.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 12:47:59 PM

Are there any PC gamers in HG:L's target market left who don't browse forums on the Internet?
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 12:50:57 PM

Are there any PC gamers in HG:L's target market left who don't browse forums on the Internet?
I bet most Diablo players don't. It sold what, 6M worldwide?

That would be part of their target audience, no question.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 12:54:22 PM

What outlet do you recommended then?

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 12:59:30 PM

f13. We catch nearly everything.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 01:01:53 PM

f13. We catch nearly everything.
I thought we were talking about where we should look to decide if HGL is hyped?

Here it has a whole subforum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: First Hellgate Reviews Start to Roll In (and for those of you on the fence)  
Jump to: