Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: SVN Host 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SVN Host  (Read 13977 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: October 18, 2007, 12:30:57 PM

Any one know of a relatively cheap, easy to use (as in, just buy the Service, i don't want to install and crap) for SVN? Its time my project started using it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:16:54 PM

I run SVN on my local machine off my external HD. The server is free and I use Eclipse to integrate with it. (There are plenty of free clients also)

It takes 10 minutes to install and set up and a 1-line batch file to run. Both sourceforge and google offer project hosting with SVN as well.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:25:00 PM

I run SVN on my local machine off my external HD. The server is free and I use Eclipse to integrate with it. (There are plenty of free clients also)

It takes 10 minutes to install and set up and a 1-line batch file to run. Both sourceforge and google offer project hosting with SVN as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, cant do source forge due the the licenses they imposes, this isn't open source or the like. As far as on my machine, i need it to be web accessible.

What i am really looking for is SVN, Wiki, Task management, e-mail, and my personal site hosting. But i do not have the brain, or want to "Set up" any of this (i can do my site, but i would rather work on my project, than the tools i need to use, if you get what i mean), i'm just an end user for the most part.

After posting this, i talked with a friend at work and i may go with his hosting, but it could also turn into a small business (The package listed above).

But i am still looking for suggestions as i want to keep my options open.

Thanks again.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:41:55 PM

Hmm I see...complete project hosting is kind of a pain, I don't have any good ideas about that if you can't use an open source license.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 02:46:54 PM

code.google.com

Does subversion, offers a Wiki and simple HTML pages…

An example of what can be done (simple CSS framework)
http://code.google.com/p/blueprintcss/

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:13:57 PM

Looks like google code is also restricted to open source licenses though.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 03:25:32 PM

Yeah I don't think you're going to get any love from the FOSS community if your code is restricted, suck it up and install everything yourself over the weekend, I swear it only takes like an hour.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 03:59:15 PM

Looks like google code is also restricted to open source licenses though.

Guess I shouldn't have assumed F/OSS… …if commercial, then roll it up yourself, Subversion (or commercial equivalent)  isn't difficult at all to setup… …and a simple wiki can be had with a few simple Perl|Ruby|Python|PHP scripts…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:27:28 PM

Find some hosting place that has Trac installed and you are good to go.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 08:12:54 AM

Yeah I don't think you're going to get any love from the FOSS community if your code is restricted, suck it up and install everything yourself over the weekend, I swear it only takes like an hour.

The problem is, i want to work on my project, and not "work" on maintaining the tools should something go wrong ETC.. I have been down that road, and have done the "DIY" route...Its not worth it, and counter productive. I would rather work on my Project, and not my dev-tools (As in the IT stuff). I have enough hats to worry about already, i don't need more =) I also do not want all the parts in 4 different places.

Thanks every one for your reply. I'm still looking, and still open to suggestions.

EDIT: I have looked and worked with TRAC before, it dosn't suit my needs, and some members of my team would not find it easy to work with. I will be using Overlord.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:20:29 AM by Mrbloodworth »

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:28:17 AM

How's Overlord working for you?

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:35:20 AM

Good, very slick, a few bugs and or wants, but over all, less complicated than other bloated apps, good when you want to make the project and not waste time with an overly complicated tracker..

Never did find an SVN host.

DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 06:54:58 PM

I take it you mean phpOverlord? Great program that.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 11:59:05 PM

Jack9
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 10:53:00 AM

I use TortoiseSVN on my windows machine, Versions for OSX, and svn client package on CentOS. I use Unfuddle.com for my free SVN webhost along with a Trac-like project management tool that I'm comfortable with. It also allows for 3rd party logins and permissions for both SVN and the Project Management. Unfuddle also does Git, if you're into that. I would assume someone using Git would use GitHub.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 04:36:00 PM

DUnno how much you want to spend, but I got web hosting with dreamhost specifically because they have easy SVN setup through the backend, and I store my stuff on there.  It's only $10 a month so not too bad, and very very lax space restrictions.

Installed trac and another retrospectiva easily, with a customer wiki with tons of tutorials and information.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 05:09:17 PM

PHP Overlord is fairly excellent, just started tinkering with it myself.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 07:40:02 PM

Good, very slick, a few bugs and or wants, but over all, less complicated than other bloated apps, good when you want to make the project and not waste time with an overly complicated tracker..

The dude(s) behind PHPOverlord need to get their messaging shit working correctly. Can't edit categories and such.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 05:02:27 PM

The dude(s) behind PHPOverlord need to get their messaging shit working correctly. Can't edit categories and such.

Email me specifics--the author is the Guitar player in my weekly RockBand sessions  Rimshot

Rumors of War
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 08:09:29 PM

Edit: who necro'ed this anyways!?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:11:15 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 09:51:38 PM

Edit: who necro'ed this anyways!?

You can't be that dumb.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 10:33:32 PM

Email me specifics--the author is the Guitar player in my weekly RockBand sessions  Rimshot
I'll do some testing this week then, thanks :)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 07:02:45 AM

This is of course an old posting, but i thought he had stopped supporting this (also says this on his website), because as i used this, i began to see that it was an incomplete product. Its a shame, because i really liked the app, just not the huge bugs, and incomplete nature of it.

Perhaps he updated it for GG to use, but forgot to push those fixes out to the paying customers?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:04:21 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, cant do source forge due the the licenses they imposes, this isn't open source or the like. As far as on my machine, i need it to be web accessible.

What i am really looking for is SVN, Wiki, Task management, e-mail, and my personal site hosting. But i do not have the brain, or want to "Set up" any of this (i can do my site, but i would rather work on my project, than the tools i need to use, if you get what i mean), i'm just an end user for the most part.

After posting this, i talked with a friend at work and i may go with his hosting, but it could also turn into a small business (The package listed above).

But i am still looking for suggestions as i want to keep my options open.

Thanks again.

sounds like subversion+retrospectiva fits the bill as far as apps go, heven't ever looked into hosts for that though.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 03:30:12 PM

retrospectiva

Hay, where you you in 07?! Does it have a WYSIWYG wiki editor?

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:53 PM

retrospectiva

You can check it out at http://projects.mshapiro.net (A project I started and quickly abandoned due to job issues.  I really should start it up again since it would be an easy as hell project).
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 08:21:50 PM

retrospectiva

yes
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 11:55:34 PM

retrospectiva

You can check it out at http://projects.mshapiro.net (A project I started and quickly abandoned due to job issues.  I really should start it up again since it would be an easy as hell project).

What? You made retrospectiva? Reading is hard.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:34:05 AM by schild »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 04:02:31 AM

hrm, yeah I kinda worded that oddly.  No I didn't create retrospectiva :P
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 08:21:43 AM

This is of course an old posting, but i thought he had stopped supporting this (also says this on his website), because as i used this, i began to see that it was an incomplete product. Its a shame, because i really liked the app, just not the huge bugs, and incomplete nature of it.

Perhaps he updated it for GG to use, but forgot to push those fixes out to the paying customers?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Actually no, we don't use it internally (custom solution since IA is a much more release cycle focused product). The history of Overlord briefly is that Jacob wrote it prior to becoming a GG employee, when he was hired by us we went ahead and had it in our store for convenience (plus we needed at least a decent solution for our user base), but it is not an official GG product--updates and enhancements are totally up to him, and we keep him really, -really- busy.

Rumors of War
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:54 PM

Replaced phpOverlord with ggOverlord, did you?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:45 AM

I personally love subversion, glad you're looking for a solution in that department. I typically host my own subversion repos (being a fancy shmancy web developer n' all), but a good solution for you might be this:

http://beanstalkapp.com

It does have a free plan for a single project which might do fine for you, otherwise it's all of $15 a month for a bit of a larger plan, and of course it scales upwards. It does apparently also integrate with things like Basecamp (of which I use and recommend as well for project management) if you're interested.

Beyond that, I'm going to assume you are on Windows. I would recommend integrating with TortiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org) . It will allow for excellent, explorer level integration and probably the simplest form of using a SVN as possible. If you're on a mac there's a similar program here: http://scplugin.tigris.org.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or requirements. Cheers!

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: SVN Host  
Jump to: