Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: New group instance live: The Shard of Fear 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New group instance live: The Shard of Fear  (Read 6422 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: October 18, 2007, 07:54:29 AM

This is an outdoor, single group instance (yay, horses!) similar in concept to Unrest. The mobs hit hard and are all 73+. We found 3 scripts, that last of which popped an X2 epic on us. You better have at least some raid gear and all your spells Ad3 or Master to try this zone. There are throwbacks to the Plane of Fear in EQ1 which us vets will appreciate. All in all, another incredibly professional and interesting zone from the EQ2 team. We died a lot exploring. My gear went from 90% to zero!

The loot is also a bit different. First, most mobs have pretty brutal AE stuns. Some have nasty fears. A lot of the gear that drops in the zone has effects to mitigate that. I saw a bunch of +spell damage items linked, from +18 to +100. There is lots of +crit and +dps gear, some of it with negative modifiers to variables like mitigation. There is also two weapons named Shock and Awe. I lol'ed. I grabbed a nice blood red Treasured BP for my appearance slot that was only about 10% worse than my legendary class BP from Unrest. I also won a Treasured belt item with +5 defense (equivalent to a full experience level of improvement) and +38 mit on it that I am now wearing instead of the legendary Thick Leather Apron (+163 mit) drop from the Bartender in Unrest since avoidance > mit and the new belt has better stats.

This is a persistant instance, a new technology that hasn't received a lot of attention here. Most worthwhile EQ2 instances have a lockout timer (18 hours for most group zones and up to 7 days for some raid zones.) A persistant instance allows you to go back in before the lockout if you didn't "finish" the zone. So far, Unrest and this one are the only persistant instances. Unrest was converted one patch ago. The persistant variable has its own timer, separate from the lockout timer. Right now it is 1 1/2 days for both. Persistance is good and bad. I don't know how it works if all 6 people in the group have a different version of the zone saved. Does it use the first or last?

I have never played WoW.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:47:19 AM

GU39 is live? and where is the shard of fear located?  I might have to resub EQ2 and get my characters ready for Kunark.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:28:13 AM

Went in yesterday. Broke my graphics settings (can't get my 16:9 resolution any more), so I'm done playing until I figure that out.

The Fear portal should be in Feerrott, in the cave with the giant Fear portal, no?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:29:41 AM

It is in the cave behind the CT temple in Feerott. You zone in by proximity, not clicking. You also zone out by proximity but the lockout isn't triggered immediately.

I have never played WoW.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:48:51 AM

Pickup group was looking for tank to take down the last named in the zone. I had to cancel my own version of the zone first but that is easy to do. The last named, Terror, is a 76x2 epic with two friends. The friends don't have a lot of hps so they are easy to burn down, but Terror stuns and fears so it was incredibly hard for me to hold aggro, especially in defensive stance. His stun/fear is short range AE so I would pull him away from the group. Seven attempts, seven failures. It was fun trying but we just couldn't get it nailed down.

I have never played WoW.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31:02 AM

Cazic Thule shouts, "SHIZNITZ!"

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:40:00 AM

Cazic Thule shouts, "SHIZNITZ!"

Shiz Nitz was my EQ1 main. EQ2 wouldn't accept Shiz so I went with Nitz, Nitz Hairspritz (Half-elf mohawk model).

I have never played WoW.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:04:21 AM

Heh, name filters =P

A guildie of mine in EQ was originally named Kronick. Then the GMs made him change it to Ronick.

On a completely unrelated note...  Two pedobear smileys? Be afraid...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:56:50 AM

I was kinda bummed in EQ when I couldn't get my UO name (Sky) because it's three letters. Dammit.

You have to wonder how much worse it would be without filters, because at least (!!) once a session I see a name in EQ2 that makes me stabby. At least on LDL it wasn't too bad because rp nazis would crack down on dumb names for the most part...but Oasis is open season on dumb. Reminds me of going back to Atlantic (Oasis) after playing on Siege Perilous (LDL) for a while. Smaller community, better self-regulation.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:34 PM

I'm with you on the names. I'm on Antonia Bayle partially because I thought the names would be better monitored. (Mostly it was for the population, but still...) Boy was I wrong. Muffmuncher was the first name I saw on the first night that I played. It would be funny if I were 15. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Best place for names that I found along the way was the Guinnevere server in DAoC. You'd get /report'ed 15 times the second you popped into the world with a less than appropriate name. Those people were vicious.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:32 PM

I was kinda bummed in EQ when I couldn't get my UO name (Sky) because it's three letters. Dammit.

You have to wonder how much worse it would be without filters, because at least (!!) once a session I see a name in EQ2 that makes me stabby. At least on LDL it wasn't too bad because rp nazis would crack down on dumb names for the most part...but Oasis is open season on dumb. Reminds me of going back to Atlantic (Oasis) after playing on Siege Perilous (LDL) for a while. Smaller community, better self-regulation.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 01:52:28 PM

Actually, I think Staberella is a great name.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 02:36:41 PM

Sorry.  I seem to be stuck in smiley mode again.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 08:09:54 AM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: New group instance live: The Shard of Fear  
Jump to: