Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Lack of tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lack of tanks  (Read 99116 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: January 10, 2008, 01:21:28 AM

My tanking gear IS my DPS gear.  I do more damage with a solid Shield Slam than with any two handing ability.  Also, it allows me to get my Shield bash in, which I far prefer to Pummel.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #316 on: January 10, 2008, 01:45:09 AM

My tanking gear IS my DPS gear.  I do more damage with a solid Shield Slam than with any two handing ability.  Also, it allows me to get my Shield bash in, which I far prefer to Pummel.

Originally, I was the same way. You'll find that over time though, once you get past Aran and killed Prince, you start collecting a lot of nice dps gear just as a side note to keep it from going to DE. Just running Kara for badges, I collected a full set of epic dps gear, not counting the engineering dps helm and the blacksmithing chest. The funny thing is you never really use it that much as a tank, but it makes you more versatile in fights where you don't need a bunch of tanks. And when I need to farm anything that has ridiculous mats, I can just pay the respec fee and get 20 primals in a day or something.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: January 10, 2008, 01:56:51 AM

Yeah, I don't disagree.

I suspect as soon as Kara is over and done with, I'll go Arms and do some PvP.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: January 10, 2008, 06:31:57 AM

Yeah timing jumps in and out. Honestly, I know it's a crass generalization, but the ones who have the most trouble with it are a few women in my raid. I have no idea why this is the case. Anyway, people in the raid don't get into the water in time and get blasted, or the don't get in far enough and get blasted, or they take too many whirls, etc etc. It's just gonna take practice.

Are you guys jumping in the water as the jet of water gets close?  The way I've seen it done is he takes a deep breath, which triggers a zillion alarms and sounds with all the boss mods out there, and everyone jumps in the water at that time and stays down until it's over.  It's not too hard to heal the water damage.  When we did it, we put those (healers) with great reflexes by the tank, and those with poor reflexes opposite of the tank, at Lurker's tail, so that there was plenty of time to yell at them on vent to jump in the water.

There's no rush to the fight, no enrage timer.  If all of you hide underwater for longer, it just means you'll have an extra couple submerges, no big deal.  The trick is in the pacing, especially for the healers' mana (they can regen while submerged, and can drink a mana potion every submerge, the cooldowns will refresh by the next submerge).  The other trick is with movement: your casters and healers must run the hell away from the naga spawn points (a few of which are by the main tank's normal position) as soon as Lurker goes underwater, so they don't get killed when the nagas spawn.  Only those responsible for tanking the elite Nagas should be close to them, everyone else should keep distance.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #319 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:30 AM

Yes, we're trying to stay ahead of it. I'm trying to make sure the two groups to either side of me are in the water automatically, and then the farther groups wait until it comes around since they have some time. The problem is some idiots in the first two groups who can't grasp the simple concept of when to jump out at all.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #320 on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:27 AM

My DPS set is slowly growing which may help on Aran. I picked up Honor's Call since I hit exhalted with HH, and between duel-wielding it with my KD and the Horseman's Helm/Vanquisher's Legplates/Crimsonforge Breastplate/some odds-n-ends DPS gear I can actually kill stuff pretty quick as a prot-warrior. It surprised me how effective spamming devastate and heroic strike worked.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #321 on: January 11, 2008, 03:59:19 PM

My DPS set is slowly growing which may help on Aran. I picked up Honor's Call since I hit exhalted with HH, and between duel-wielding it with my KD and the Horseman's Helm/Vanquisher's Legplates/Crimsonforge Breastplate/some odds-n-ends DPS gear I can actually kill stuff pretty quick as a prot-warrior. It surprised me how effective spamming devastate and heroic strike worked.

Exhalted, the state of being knackered after a long reputation grind.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #322 on: January 11, 2008, 06:26:58 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #323 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:53 PM

exalted

Exhalted, the state of being knackered after a long reputation grind.
I could've sworn I spell that right. Oh well.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #324 on: January 12, 2008, 07:38:14 AM

Not just you.  Loads of people spell it that way.  It's all over the WoW boards and just doing a search here pulled up a quite a few.  It's so commonly spelled that way on the WoW board that I think people's fingers type it before they engage the brain.  We need fingers with tiny little brains in them.  AND MOUTHS!  Can you imagine how cool it would be if your fingers had little tiny mouths?  With teeny weeny gnashy gnashy teeth?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: January 12, 2008, 10:21:19 AM

ACK!

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #326 on: January 13, 2008, 05:44:50 AM

Yeah, it's pretty strange to see people consistently misspell something by putting extra letters in.  Usually they're taking letters out.

I can only think it's because "exhausted" is a lot more common and sounds the same.  At least it means they know how to spell exhausted!

Witty banter not included.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #327 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:03 AM

You would have to provide examples and a chart to prove to me that people on the WoW boards know how to spell exhausted. 

Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: January 13, 2008, 01:20:28 PM

I could have sworn that a while ago I saw it verified somewhere that 'exhalted' is a valid, if deprecated, spelling of the word, but now I can't find it. The 'h' makes it look dumb though.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: January 13, 2008, 04:15:31 PM

I could have sworn that a while ago I saw it verified somewhere that 'exhalted' is a valid, if deprecated, spelling of the word, but now I can't find it. The 'h' makes it look dumb though.

Exhaulted is worse....and I know at least half a dozen people who spell it that way.

And they give me shit for how I pronounce revered (I tend to say rev-urd instead of rev-eerd).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #330 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:41 PM

Don't be silly.  Chimps can't talk. 

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: January 13, 2008, 09:57:08 PM

Don't be silly.  Chimps can't talk. 

I have one of those Stephen Hawking voice box things.

So it distorts the sound of some words.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Lack of tanks  
Jump to: