Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 5956 times)
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

on: October 04, 2007, 01:43:08 PM

Thought I would start a thread for this. It looks pretty good. I got it but haven't played it yet. I personally loved the Windwaker look, but that may just be me...

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:02:10 PM

Looks fine.
Feels like it was damned by Nintendo.
Smells like the bird flu.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:19:37 PM

It's in my DS for playing.

But my DS has no battery power!
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:32:15 PM

I think it's pretty fun, but the boss fights I've had so far have not been all that satisfying.  If you like Zelda it's pretty much a win.  It does have me hopeful for future dungeon hacks on the DS, should they pay attention to the control scheme here.  If it weren't such a small screen, Diablo would be pretty cool here.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:29:08 PM

The Sea Tramp Thingy Temple is hard. But other than that, it's pretty easy. I started playing the Japanese version a coupla weeks ago (which was way harder since I can't read), so the English version is fun - I can actually keep up with the story and such.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:06:57 PM

The demo just felt awkward.

Playable, but Awkward. I didn't get far enough to receive a sword and swing it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:02:18 PM

Incredibly easy if you have ever beaten a Zelda game before... yet still enjoyable.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 05:32:36 PM

They pulled a Lair on me with Phantom Hourglass.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 10:05:47 PM

I had no problems with the controls once I figured out exactly what they meant by certain moves.  I suppose it would have served better to have a system of showing stylus strokes like Okami had, but I think the controls as is work pretty well.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 10:13:40 PM

The controls are as good as stylus zelda gets. Unfortunately, that's not saying enough. Look, I'm not knocking it, the game ITSELF is fine. The controls however, suffer from Lairitis. Which should be defined as "Japanese pride in using shitty gimmicks and being so unable to admit mistake that you either suffer through it or not play the game."

This is coming from someone who beat Trauma Center into the ground.

Still, to this day, the only game that needed a stylus. Oh and Canvas Curse. But that's entirely overrated.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 09:21:18 AM

Well... drawing your map in Etrian Odyssey.  I haven't tried Drawn to Life yet.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 06:22:52 PM

I do admit that using the stylus for basic navigation is a bit of a pain at first, but at least the touch screen is getting some action.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 09:25:02 PM

Are you guys using the standard styluses? Styli?  Anyways, I used the Zelda pen Stylus I got from Circuit City and it helped loads.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 10:33:21 PM

I've been thinking of using a chopstick after the carpel tunnel hand cramps I've been getting.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 11:24:14 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 07:58:36 AM

I do admit that using the stylus for basic navigation is a bit of a pain at first, but at least the touch screen is getting some action.

Using the touchscreen simply because it is there is why DS games make me pull my hair out.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 07:59:06 AM

Using the touchscreen simply because it is there is why DS games make me pull my hair out.

Yegolev, I love you. Truly.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 08:08:36 AM

WEEABOO

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 10:37:12 AM

I think that having an option for either control style would have been nice. Although I would have still played with stylus control just to try something different.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 01:17:34 PM

Necro!

Got a DS in christmas present from work so I picked up the tops from gamerankings, and well, this was supposedly one of the best. Since I'm a big fan of link to the past this looked like a must have.

First of all I pretty much hate all the characters. I guess Zelda games never been much about the characters but this game actually have some dialogs, all of which I after a while just ended skimming through for clues of where to head next. The story is as always with Nintendo real crap.

Sailing the seas gets boring really fast, partly because it's all auto pilot after you've drawn a path with the stylus on the map, and partly because combat is super easy with the auto aim + attacking by poking enemies on screen with the stylus.

Fighting is very imprecise because of the stylus, fighting consists of going in range of enemies and weaving the stylus around and hoping that it picks up a whirlwind attack, sometimes Link just dicks around and walk right into the enemies since the stylus is also used for movement. There's some plus points to be picked up here for the ranged tools though, especially the boomerang which grants you a great deal of control.

Level design is pretty good at times but nowhere near as good as link to the past, which is a superior game in pretty much every way even if it was released more than a decade ago.

As of now I don't know if I will ever finish the game since there's nothing really motivating me to finish it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:23:12 PM by Sairon »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 01:25:08 PM

I really wish they used the D pad for attacking.  I like how moving link feels with the stylus, as I can precisely control what direction he moves and how fast.  What sucks is attacking, as it doesn't respond fast enough and usually does not do the action you want (attacks when I want to dash, dashes when I want to attack). 

The games decent, except for the boat crap and a lot of the tacked on DS functionality they put in to go "look what the DS can do tee hee."  It doesn't matter I guess though becuase i stopped playing as I absolutely refuse on principle to yell at my DS in order to get the damn merchant to sell me a salvage arm.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 02:00:20 PM

My biggest gripe with the stylus is that my hand often gets in the way of the screen forcing me to twist it into odd contortions just to play. As others have said the game story isn't really all that compelling, but I'd probably like it a lot more if they just let me use the buttons instead.
cosapi
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 03:24:21 PM

I absolutely refuse on principle to yell at my DS in order to get the damn merchant to sell me a salvage arm.

There's a way around this.

semi-spoiler I guess
You can blow air into the mic on the ds for the same result.
end spoiler

But the entire time I've spent playing this game, all that honestly comes to mind is "fucking gimmick" when I'm fighting against the control system.  angry
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:26:16 PM by cosapi »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 03:25:30 PM

My biggest gripe with the stylus is that my hand often gets in the way of the screen forcing me to twist it into odd contortions just to play. As others have said the game story isn't really all that compelling, but I'd probably like it a lot more if they just let me use the buttons instead.

This will probably eventually cause some sort of adverse physical problems later in your life.  I see a profitable lawsuit in your future!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 12:34:56 PM

Level design is pretty good at times but nowhere near as good as link to the past, which is a superior game in pretty much every way even if it was released more than a decade ago.

Besides the first, Link to the past is the best zelda game ever invented. None of them after have had anywhere near the quality of that game.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 07:09:36 AM

It's a bit old, but so is this thread...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  
Jump to: