Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Re-Subbed Recently, The Game has Changed, I Like It 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re-Subbed Recently, The Game has Changed, I Like It  (Read 95811 times)
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 01:17:22 PM

Playing again also (hi SoE and thanks for the free month) and noticed a lot of nice little changes that make the world better (stopped playing at LU31). After leveling alts over and over again in WoW, and finally getting back in the game way behind(levels etc) I really want to thank the people responsible for mentoring  awesome, for real
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 07:35:07 AM

I tried this for the first time during the Sep Winback thingy.  I guess I must have created a trial account years ago but I have no recollection of that.  So far I'm mostly having fun... mostly.

There are a couple key things that are really bothering me though.  There are no fucking runners and everything is on a tether?!  What the fucking shit?!  The moment it hit me I almost quit out and canceled.  Grrrrr.

Please tell me crowd control comes into play some time later in the game?

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 10:24:33 AM

Not so much. CC can save your bacon if you pull multiple encounters but for the most part, single group encounters are balanced for zero CC. That said, CC can make boss mobs that have help MUCH easier. So, in EQ2 CC is "nice to have" and not "must have".

I have never played WoW.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

I tried to play yesterday but just couldn't get motivated even by extra xp.  I think maybe I need more gore and exploding mob bits right now.  I have the new expansion and maybe that'll help although I didn't like the new race one bit.  Not just because it's ugly and the female has nearly no customisation but it's racial abilities are stupid looking and useless.  Still, I think I'll be okay after my need for blood and guts is sated.  Unless I get addicted like I did that time to girly games about weddings and baking cake.  That took months and months to get over.   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 06:28:20 AM

Ahh, racial abilities.

I logged in to show my fiancee the halloween masks ("they're goofy looking") and the first thing she commented on was how Neriak was filled with faeries. Evil faeries, whatever. I explained how they were 'new' and had a nice racial ability, so everyone wanted to play them. She found it funny that people would run around as a little faerie just to get safe fall.

I have about zero motivation to play EQ2 right now. The service interruption killed all the plans I was in the middle of and a raft of good games came out at the same time. Also, $40 for an expansion isn't something I do any more. I know I've already  Beating a Dead Horse but if there were a kunark-only download, it'd be a no-brainer. As it is, I'm not sure if I'll be shelling out full price for something that's geared to 1-20 56-80 when I'm 22-42.

After reading my Old Content thread, it just drives home how much these games are not made for casual folks like me.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 11:08:54 AM

Like I said in the Kunark thread. They've streamlined the 20-70 progression too. So, while I know you don't want to outlevel the content you've got too quickly, maybe now's the time to progress to the 50s-60s or so and hit some new stuff?

Then again, I've been playing TR (yeah, yeah, laugh it up) to death lately, so I can't honestly say I've had a lot of motivation to play EQ2 lately either.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 12:04:06 PM

Eh, it's not too bad. I don't really lack for stuff to do and still level a bit too fast. I will keep playing my SK for a while, mostly because the level cap went up and a lot of people will be moving into new areas. I really don't want to get above -20 or so of the level cap, because I don't care for a lot of the people I've met at the level cap. Don't really want to group with many, and I want to contest areas even less. At least in the lower level game some twinked-to-hell alt will burn through some stuff and be gone in a day or two.

The entire concept of gear progressions and raid-readiness and DKP or whatever the hell else goes on in teh endgame is totally dick-wilting to me.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 08:43:40 AM

Don't know where exactly to put this so I chose here!

My casual guild tried Tomb of Thuuga this weekend, our first RoK raid attempt.

The Tomb is entered above one of the waterfalls below Sathir's Span in Fens. Every raid member has to enter on their own. I don't know if this is a new RoK feature. Thuuga is a 5 day persistant zone.

There is one named, Tairiza the Widow Mistress, a large drachnid/drider. All trash must be cleared first. The trash are single mob encounters, skeletons or drachnids. The skeletons fear and the drachnids AE stun. They take some getting used to, but after a few of each, they weren't a problem.

Tairiza is a fun encounter (even though we failed 6 times and called it a night.) Every 30 seconds or so, 1-3 people in the raid will be coccooned. Literaly. Looks cool. While coccooned, a player loses ~800hp every 2-3 seconds. Maybe its per tick but it seemed faster than the normal 6 seconds. The coccoons are attackable and can be broken open. The player inside can be healed. I am guessing they have about 30k hps so it takes no more that a few seconds to open them.

So the drill is that everyone but the MT and ST switch to the coccoons when they appear. The closer everyone is to each other, the less time it takes to get to the coccoon. The wrinkle is the AE stun. This lengthens the time people stay in the coccoon. If the coccoon kills a player, Tairiza gets healed about 2%. At 40% health, Tairiza spawns 6(?) level 83 heroic spiderlings.

It took us several tries to get communication about the coccoons right. Too many people talking at once early on. We endd up dedicating one player to calling the coccoons with a shorthand description for location: caster corner, dps corner, front of the mob (tanks), back of the mob. Our formation was like a Y with the MT/ST at the bottom of the Y, mob turned. Caster corner was left branch, dps corner right branch.

We needed 3 healers on the MT/ST to keep him/me (80 zerk) up reliably and yet we both died a few times each attempt. She hits hard (5-8k) but not fast. I only had 11,500 hps so you can see how important healing was. Our guardian MT has closer to 15k and better mit.

All in all a creatively designed encounter. Coordinating this without voice would be nigh impossible given the importance of getting to the coccoons fast.

I have never played WoW.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 09:35:58 AM

Nice write-up shiz, I love to hear what I am most likely not going to see.  I don't think I am going to go down the raid-path again, maybe in a casual guild.  Finally just got my troub up to 79, and weaponsmithing at 75 on the weekend. Obviously taking it pretty chill. Please continue these write-ups, any loot info?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 01:17:48 PM

You can spy all the l33t loot you want at www.lootdb.com.

If you want a casual guild and you are on Perma, The League of the Ignoble Liver is very welcoming. And we would love to have a 80 troub.

I have never played WoW.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 06:32:02 AM

Thanks for the offer, but currently hacking away on Crushbone. 

How casual is you casual raiding?  Might have an interest at some point, but for the time I get on right now, there is plenty of solo/group stuff for me to do.  Kunark has a fuck-tonne of solo content.  I am still trying to finish everything in Kunzar's Jungle.  Then start with the group content.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 11:11:44 AM

That's the reason the raid stuff doesn't get me too down in EQ2, there are a lot of quests for solo/group, even if the rewards are usually pretty lame. I just remembered last night to hit up the Island of Mara to get my crafting charm and 36-slot harvest bag. Got a decent +25int wrist slot upgrade before the (short) questline jumped into the dark orange levels. Still, a nice evening of new content.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:20 AM

There now even seems to be a lot of crafting content - home city faction rewards/writ grinding, grandmaster quests (which also give faction), straight up crafting quests - new lands, new profit series, Kunark faction quests and rewards (some real nice shit), and epic tradeskill quests. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 01:15:37 PM

Thanks for the offer, but currently hacking away on Crushbone. 

How casual is you casual raiding?  Might have an interest at some point, but for the time I get on right now, there is plenty of solo/group stuff for me to do.  Kunark has a fuck-tonne of solo content.  I am still trying to finish everything in Kunzar's Jungle.  Then start with the group content.

We do short raids on Wednesdays and longer stuff on Saturdays, but it is nowhere close to every week. We are still working on the RoK instances and quests. At our peak raiding, we did two days a week 3 weeks a month, usually starting at 8:30pm eastern. Attendance is voluntary. As far as loot, anyone who needs an item rolls d1000. Highest roll wins. One Fabled piece per person per raid unless everyone that wants the item has already won something. It is very civilized.

If you are 79, leave Kunzar. Quest rewards and exp better in Jarsath Wastes. You can always come back to KJ. Hell, I never finished all the ones in Fens.

I have never played WoW.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 24, 2008, 02:13:02 PM

You might have someone accidentally walk into the widowmistress, and die to her. Usually she stops casting at that point and won't do the caccooning bit. The fight is a lot easier at that point.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #50 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:11 AM

Do you mean to start the encounter? I haven't read anywhere that she is bugged in any way.

I have never played WoW.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 25, 2008, 07:35:40 AM

No - before the encounter. If she puts up her swords and stops the casting animation you have won.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 26, 2008, 09:18:32 PM

No - before the encounter. If she puts up her swords and stops the casting animation you have won.

So, wait. There's this giant frantic arguably encounter-defining debuff effect which can be negated by... body-checking?

I can't think that's intended.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #53 on: March 30, 2008, 03:01:32 PM

So we popped our Protector's Realm cherry on Saturday although we did not clear it.

Upon entering the zone, nothing is aggro. The map is identical to the second half of Crypt of Agony, with a named in each of the four rooms.You have to go find a group if adventurer NPCs who ask for help and give you four shards needed to activate the first four named.  There is no trash at all. 

The first named has a harm touch every 30 seconds or so. Took us two tries to get that down. Just had to make sure one of the OTs had intervene/intercede up on the MT to absorb the HT.  The next three named are basically the same. They have a large radius AE of differing damage types. They also knockback a lot. The last one we did fears as well. These are your basic jousting fights where someone uses a parser/timer to call "OUT!" before the AE and then everyone charges in after until the next call. The key is to make sure that the MT keeps the mob locked down because the AE does more damage the closer one is. Clearly if a caster/dps pulls aggro into the body of the raid and the AE goes off then, it is corpse city. Our MT had 16k HPs buffed. The other guardian had 13k and I had 11k (zerk with limited hp buffs).  After these four I hade died enough to go from 100% equipment  to zero and then burned a 50% repair kit. Non-tanks were mostly at 50%.

When each of these four named dies (and by the way they drop anywhere from 17-24p each so that helps cover costs and is a welcome change) someone in the raid gets a shard in their inventory. These four shards are used to trigger the next mob.

After killing the four named you go back to the adventurer NPC group. They now double cross you and lock you in a room with Doomcoil, a stone cobra with two AEs, one of which includes a memwipe. Since the room is locked, the raid only gets one chance to get it right since reviving puts you outside the locked door. Every time someone dies, Doomcoil heals for 40k. You can be rezzed. We did this by having the three tanks stand together and everyone else at max range to joust the AEs. The three tanks fought for aggro and if any non-tank got aggro, he/she had to run to the tanks to keep the AEs from hammering the softies. We were far from flawless, but we beat him.

Next, you fight the NPC adventurers who betrayed you. They kicked our ass badly about 10 times. They have a tank, scout, caster, healer and two mercenaries. The tank will taunt you on to him and the scout will wander through the raid attacking people. Mezz didn't work against them. Our MT dropped quickly every time. We just don't have the gear for this fight yet, I don't think.

All in all we had a good night with 5 good items and 2 masters.  Doomcoil dropped a spinning serrated sword that is arguably a few percent better than my fabled epic (DR of 100 vs 95 although my epic has better stats and a +12% crit proc.)  We now have an assassin dual wielding that and his epic.

We will be "farming" the first 5 nameds in PR for the next few weekends, I imagine.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:03:15 PM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 31, 2008, 06:18:50 AM

I don't mean to knock the raid gameplay (this time), but I really wish they'd put the amount of effort into the rest of the game that seems to go into setting up raid encounters.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 31, 2008, 08:08:21 AM

I don't know, it seems like there's a lot of work that's been put into single group dungeons and lots of solo quest lines from Kelethin to Kunark. Is it just that the single group dungeons aren't as intricate?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 08:19:09 AM

PR is actually a very un-raid raid. Yes, you need 24 people to win, but each fight is a straight up named fight.  The fact that there is no trash to mash through is a nice change too. The other one I wrote about, Thuuga, is more traditional in that you have to clear trash for an hour before you fight the named.

As far as group content, RoK offers options and that is good. CoA can basically be completed in an hour or so by 6 levels 80s as long as you have a tank and one healer. I did it with half guildies, half PUG in 43 minutes last night. For that small time investment you can potentially get 6 metal chests.

Vaults and Maidens are harder and I would be less sanguine about PUGing them but for 90 minutes, you have a shot at items that can rival tier 1 T8 raids.

Chelsith takes the longest and the metal chests are the most unreliable.

Then, in your early 70s you can run Unrest. This takes 2 hours but someone in the group is guaranteed to get the class set helm and BP. The more people in the group that already have them, the better the odds for those that don't.

Lastly, the solo content in Fens, Kunzar and Jarsath includes quests that give very nice legendary and even fabled quality rewards.

The balance has definitely gotten better in RoK.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:53 AM

It's cool to know there is a chance of Legendary or Fabled for solo players at some point. My main-on-hold SK got one metal chest from a lvl 27 named in Nektulos that dropped a master he couldn't use. My current main Wiz has gotten one from the named ghost wolf in Everfrost, which dropped garbage.

My monk got maybe a hundred or more in the time I was logging him in for a few minutes to farm the nameds in Wailing Caves, though it was all way too low or shitty to use (mid-teens), sold it all on the broker or transmuted when I was grinding that up. Used to be my main money-maker, now I mostly make money from Sinking Sands shinies.

Since BC is mainly Surly and me and we usually don't play at the same times, PUGs are really my only outlet. And I fucking hate PUGs. The couple of pickup raids I've done didn't go to badly, but they were boring and unrewarding.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #58 on: March 31, 2008, 11:06:08 AM

We started running through Prismatic just for fun this weekend.  Considering I never thought I'd experience "story mode" it's been a blast.

Sitting at 77 with only the Skyfire solo content left, I've been going through the 60+ heroic content, getting little 1% xp updates and cruising through the old group play.  Will finally hit some RoK instances this week, now that I knocked my grouping rust off.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #59 on: March 31, 2008, 11:52:44 AM

The couple of pickup raids I've done didn't go to badly, but they were boring and unrewarding.

Sing it, sister. Half the fun I get from raiding is having 23 other pleasant people in Ventrilo to kill the dead time with.  If it was all business, then the loot ain't enough to do it. We spent 2 hours in PR and got 7 items. Those are not good odds to get an upgrade but it becomes acceptable when your friend gets the upgrade.

I have never played WoW.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 04, 2008, 03:44:34 PM

Next, you fight the NPC adventurers who betrayed you. They kicked our ass badly about 10 times. They have a tank, scout, caster, healer and two mercenaries. The tank will taunt you on to him and the scout will wander through the raid attacking people. Mezz didn't work against them. Our MT dropped quickly every time. We just don't have the gear for this fight yet, I don't think.

All in all we had a good night with 5 good items and 2 masters.  Doomcoil dropped a spinning serrated sword that is arguably a few percent better than my fabled epic (DR of 100 vs 95 although my epic has better stats and a +12% crit proc.)  We now have an assassin dual wielding that and his epic.

We will be "farming" the first 5 nameds in PR for the next few weekends, I imagine.

Grats on downing Doomcoil on your first try, with divine and poison gear it helps a lot, most raid members forgot on our 2nd try and it was a slaughter. Our first try was flawless, then again, we had 3 monks with 1 minute peels at that point so bouncing agro really wasn't an issue.

We're struggling with the overking in Chardok right now. Have been for like 2 weeks now.

COA = loot runs. (We're going for speed records now, pulling all 4 guardians at each named location for added fun. 28 minutes is our record)
VOES = not as good of a loot run. Plus the pits are just stupid.
Maidens = Challenge. This is in my mind the best single group dungeon I have been in. Most of the named have a...trick.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #61 on: April 07, 2008, 08:47:58 AM

We beat these mofo's this weekend. The trick for us was locking down Meldrath. The trick with him is that every time Meldrath is hit with a melee attack, he has a 10% chance to change target (to #2 on his hate list). So I pulled him out of the mob where AEs wouldn't hit him and off-tanked him using nothing but taunts. I had a healer dedicated to keeping me up. The rest of the raid focused on the 5 left. Once 4 were down, the raid switched to Meldrath who dropped fast. The scout was last. Took us over a minute to kill her. I basically spent 3/4ths of the fight doing nothing but hitting my taunts as they refreshed!

The final mob we couldn't finish. At 38% health or so, he reflects all damage back on the raid until someone disables the two pillars in his room. We had one person in there clicking on the pillars with the wand thing but they never de-activated. Frustrating.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 11, 2008, 05:54:04 AM

We did the new zone, shard of hate, last night. If you're guild is looking for something casual friendly like PR, it would be well worth a trip. I only did hate a few times in EQ, including my one and only hideous corpse retrieval until the 2 AM dealie that turned me off of raiding. Still, the zone was recognizeable even to me. The atmosphere and graphics are nice. I didn't see any of the lag that people on the forums are whining about. I felt like it got the same feeling as the old plane.

It has a couple of fairly easy tier one bosses and the little chests that run around (remember those from eq1?) drop some pretty amazing stuff. The encounters escalate really quickly though. We were doing great then got to one that one shotted almost the entire raid. We just laughed and moved on.

It was really nice going through a zone that nobody had read up on or done before. Some of the tricks are really obvious, but a much bigger sense of accomplishment than reading up stuff.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #63 on: April 11, 2008, 07:00:31 AM

I am looking forward to a Hate run. In other news, Chelsith was changed so that all named are up every time. This makes it a better loot:time ratio than it used to be. Still one of the longer instances in RoK. Took us 1hr 45min vs 30-40min for Crypt of Agony and the loot tables overlap quite a bit.

I have never played WoW.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 11, 2008, 08:23:38 AM

Just finally hit 80 Troub, 80 Master Weaponsmith, and 400/400 Tinkering! Castassing :P

I am really looking forward to going through all the group content now.  Last night I went to Crypt of Agony which seems to be instance most advertised (quickest?).  CoA was very ho-hum, not impressed.  Hopefully get to go through a few more zones this weekend.  Any recommendations? Not worried about loot so much, but rather interesting zones and encounters.

Hopefully head up some casual raiding in the near future.  I am starting to see a lot more pick-up raids advertised for Protector's and new the Shard.  The expansion is maturing a bit.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:27:47 AM by Bandit »
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 11, 2008, 08:55:52 AM

Went through CoA and VoES last week.  VoES is really fast with a good PUG (haha).  The people I was playing with were only looking for some uber-rare dagger drop, and left me to clean up *everything else*.  Four hours of PUG and I am moderately geared, with new jewelry, 77 set piece chest and boots, Nathsar shortsword, and 2 chromatic essences with which to bribe a crafter for some nice 77 mastercrafted loots.

Finally got my teleport Hammer yesterday, man that thing is awesome.  Smack a Qeynos guard, instant port to JW.  Screw you, boat ride!

Next week should bring the ding (80!), and I'm hoping to run Maiden's and Chelsith.  Chelsith is supposedly the new model for single group instanced content, and with the new "all bosses all the time" implementation, I'm really looking forward to that one.

Supposedly the new Armored Warg Mounts drop in Karnors.  I guess that's one way to get people to play in there!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:58 AM

CoA was very ho-hum, not impressed.

That's the reason everyone wants to go there. There's some very good loot for a zone that isn't too dangerous and can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 11, 2008, 09:48:34 AM

Just picked up the JW Mallet as well, what a time-saver! except a few times I used it, zoned to JW, then took the sokokars to my destination....started to battle, then boom back to the docks! I have forgot to unequip it numerous times.

If you haven't already, make sure you do the "For a few Coins More" timeline starting in KP and ending with "An Ugly Bounty".  Great story, quests, and rewards.  The end reward is a nice fabled xxxx of Thugga jewelery item.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 11, 2008, 11:26:18 AM

If you haven't already, make sure you do the "For a few Coins More" timeline starting in KP and ending with "An Ugly Bounty".  Great story, quests, and rewards.  The end reward is a nice fabled xxxx of Thugga jewelery item.

Still on the Fistful of Metal starter for that line.  Was too young to go waltzing into Varis when I started it.  Thanks for the reminder!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #69 on: April 11, 2008, 12:01:10 PM

I you are a melee, don't select the neck item. I went with the Band of Thuuga. Much better neck item drops in Vaults (Ganak's Torque) and there is an easy quest for a neck item with a clickie 3k self-heal on a 3 minute timer that only requires on Vaults run.  Even the Sebilisian Choker in CoA is competitive with the Thuuga item.  Good rings are harder to come by until you raid a lot and even then the best melee rings tend to be scout only.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Re-Subbed Recently, The Game has Changed, I Like It  
Jump to: