Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Donation Button and Server Information, in the interest of full disclosure. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donation Button and Server Information, in the interest of full disclosure.  (Read 19472 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 27, 2007, 11:56:14 PM

Donation button in the News Box.

There are a couple reasons this thing exists:

1. Advertisers, or rather, companies who advertise dislike crude language.
2. Advertisers do not like forums.

So we might be ad-free soon, though I'm looking into other options.

3. People who have been playing Team Fortress have asked for a donations button.
4. The money gained from this will ONLY go towards server fees. Nothing else. Ever.
5. If we get enough to pay for the servers a year or two in advance, we'll take the button down.

If you want to donate for any other reason, contact us, though it will probably go to server fees and we just won't tell you.

To give you an idea of server costs:
Server 1 (f13.net) - $1389 a year.
Server 2 (f13.games) - $1290 a year.

It's not cheap. Advertising wasn't actually covering this, any time you see ad Council ads up top, they weren't paying dick. CPM-style advertisers are indeed having trouble filling ads where people get paid for just viewing rather than clicking.

We'd like to upgrade server 1 (f13.net) and by upgrade, I mean get a completely new rig. Sometimes at night, this server lags a little and drives me nuts. It's simply old hardware (p4, not dual core, slower ram, etc).

Anyway, that's that.

Edit: Forgot to add, if we get enough for a third server, it'll most likely be Non-Steam Games. UT3, etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:57:53 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 03:25:26 AM

38.39% of the way there!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:50:13 AM by schild »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:12:57 AM

I am teh poor college student. I gave you what I could.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 09:07:30 AM

I'll donate next month, security deposit + some dbl renting during the move = teh lose.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:33:11 AM

WTF is the News Box? I can't find this damned thing anywhere.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 09:34:22 AM

Top right of this page.  It used to say "news will appear here later" or something similar.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:37:59 AM

Hey, I never realized there was a dropdown part of the top of the page! No wonder I couldn't find the goddamned thing. Donation will be sent forthwith.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 09:41:44 AM

Hey, wtf- my donation didn't make the meter change. I DEMAND LIVE ACCOUNTING FOR MY $25, DAMMIT.

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:00 AM

Donated cash as well as shipped a portion of my finest quality Hanson high gloss nudes. Autographed of course.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 12:35:57 PM

Enjoy. (paypal has made this far too easy, didn't even need to pull out my wallet)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Grublet
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 02:13:09 PM

1. Advertisers, or rather, companies who advertise dislike crude language.

They're a bunch of fucking fuckbag fuckwankers.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 02:46:29 PM

Paid.  Now where's my muthafuggin appropriately meme'd grief title?

Seriously.  If you guys are hurting on hosting, you should just create a private members section and charge a token amount for people to subscribe.  You already have it via the Beta boards.  Use that for people to pay for access to more Beta's and more Red names.  Easy.  It start to cover your costs.

(from the guy who first suggested you create an f13-luv-in and sell warez/swag)
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 02:52:19 PM

Seriously.  If you guys are hurting on hosting, you should just create a private members section and charge a token amount for people to subscribe.  You already have it via the Beta boards.  Use that for people to pay for access to more Beta's and more Red names.  Easy.  It start to cover your costs.

Wow, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen!  rolleyes

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 02:54:18 PM

I imagine that it would be a little more complicated to have people paying for a service rather than just donating, especially if you're using beta access as one of the incentives.  It leaves a huge possibility for sandy vaginas when schild gets 20 passes to give out and 40 "subscribers" want in and feel entitled to a beta pass because they've paid money (even if they aren't given a guarantee that they'll get into every beta).
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 03:24:40 PM

Folks, this is a DONATION. You aren't entitled to anything other than a thank you, IMO. If you are planning to drop some money in the kitty in hopes of special treatment, you may want to reconsider.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 03:37:35 PM

Maybe you could send us some little ribbons to pin on our shirts.  That would be nice.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 03:39:44 PM

Maybe you could send us some little ribbons to pin on our shirts.  That would be nice.

What color should they be?

Grublet
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 03:40:46 PM

Plain ribbons are boring. Can these ribbons ooze? You know, in memory of schild.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 03:50:38 PM

No no no.  I don't expect anything.  Come on.

I was proposing you think about something a paid membership might help with that's all. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 04:50:42 PM

Numbers updated.

Paid membership requires paperwork that's not worth the time investing. If everyone gives on their own free will, everyone benefits.

Edit: I've gone through the list. I don't know who a handful of the people are, so I'm not going to make a list of people who donated. To say the least, we thank you. Muchly.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:04:10 PM by schild »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 05:19:26 PM

I don't know, but it should be fancy like Schild.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 05:47:21 PM

23.89% of the way there!

As in for the whole year?

Anyway, I'm a piss poor student and have to feed my alcoholism atm  tongue

As soon as I start to rake in some cash, which should be fairly soon hopefully, I'd be happy to donate.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 06:36:28 PM

For my part. This was a great opportunity to show support for what this site is about. A game came out that you liked. I like it to although it is a type of game that I mostly suck at. That does not mean I do not enjoy playing. You made a server and through skill or luck it rocks. Very nice pings smooth as butter. I would like to help that effort. I have some disposable income. I am not ready to sign over my paychecks to you but I am prepaired to help in projects of this type. I will probally buy t-shirts as well as you come up with them. I honestly think you are sitting on more support than you know. I like the focus of your site. I like the content. The fact that I often disagree with you really has no bearing. I like what you are doing here. I like and respect your moderators. I am willing to show my like of your content from time to time. On my terms at my discression of course.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:11:44 PM

Updated again, thanks goes to all!
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:35 PM

Updated yet again!  :-D

Did you know? 20 People have donated thus far.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:33:48 PM by schild »
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 11:33:38 PM

Hell, if I can piss away $100 on Hellgate:London and TF2, I can throw some money at a server. Someday, I may even get teamspeak to not crash me!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 07:59:16 AM

So the average donation size is about forty dollars? 

Man do I feel bad about chipping in ten less than everyone else.  I guess I can console myself with the fact that at least my posts are not as ... challenged as Hal's.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 10:08:05 AM

Man do I feel bad about chipping in ten less than everyone else.

I only gave $10. But, I also live off the Government for my education and living expenses. However you look at it... I want my damn F13 hoodie!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 10:09:58 AM

Yes, let us buy shirts please.  Long sleeve, for those of us that have to experience winter, or short sleeve for those of you in hell.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 06:10:17 PM

Updated, thanks!

As for the shirts and shit, yea, well, selling 1,000 shirts at $3 profit isn't exactly an efficient way to get this done. Hence the lack of a buy shit to fund this issue link.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 06:27:52 PM

Still more than 0$.

EDIT: Just chipped my lewts in.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:32:19 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:24 PM

I'll have to chip in, but I wonder about F13's stance on using donation money to take a gay junket to England. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 09:38:14 PM

That's not something we'd do, not that there's anything wrong with that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 30, 2007, 06:00:22 PM

Updated! Thanks to all!
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 03:37:18 AM

Update: We're only about $400 and change from having the main f13 server paid off.  Odds are, we will go with a new server when we hit that mark. I want to upgrade this terribly old clunker to something supah speedeh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Donation Button and Server Information, in the interest of full disclosure.  
Jump to: