Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Lorwyn Spoiler Completed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lorwyn Spoiler Completed  (Read 6152 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:40 PM

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=85382

Some observations:

Both Tribal and Planeswalkers are ungainly pieces of kludge. I dislike them both.

The changeling mechanic is neat (a whole slate of mistform ultimus creatures).

The clash mechanic.... meh... I think magic has enough luck in deck shuffling. It doesn't need glorified coin flipping.

The tribalduals irritate me. I don't really know why - they just do.

The art style is growing on me.

The TSP theme of cards with costs like 2GGGG has stayed with us. And it's going to be as annoying as ever in draft. 61/265 non-lands have 2 or more coloured mana in their costs. In particular, it seems that green has a subtheme of 'cards you can't cast because of stupid costs' going on.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:19:02 PM

Link is broken.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:20:41 AM

'tisn't.

Unless salvation requires registration now or something?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 11:32:59 AM

I like the planeswalkers, and I think that in six months they'll be like the new borders: most everyone will either think they were a good idea or not really give a damn.

The tribal theme is alright - if they hadn't at least tried for new takes on the familiar tribes (imagine another red goblin block  tongue )

Clash is stupid but will probably be ignorable outside of limited.  Same with evoke, sorcery speed is WAY too slow.

I also think the changeling mechanic is cool, as well as the art.

And I think the tribal duals irrate you because you sense that they're going to be complete jank when the set rotates, much like all the Mirrodin cards that depended on artifacts.

Commenting as I read through the set...

Crib swap is useful, flavorful (if creepy) white removal.  Not sure how I feel about oblivion ring.

Knight of Meadowgrain is going to see play for a while.

Fuck, I'm not even through white yet.  I'll read it another time.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:14:08 PM

Overall,  I like what I'm seeing.

I like the Planeswalkers.  The rules that deal with burn are awful and unintuitive,  but....  The idea is pretty good.

The Tribes seem solid.  Will provide some decent tier 2/3 decks for the casuals.  Avoided overpowering tribes in other formats by a couple color shifts.  (I'm looking at you goblins!) 

I like the obvious focus on getting Standard back to creature battles,  and making creatures matter.  I'm a little tired of the present "almost creatureless control" vs. "fast fast aggro".

The changeling mechanic is pretty good,  and expands the Tribe theme by letting tribes dip into the changelings to make better decks without going outside the tribe.

Clash is a non-factor.  May be pain for cardboard play,  but should be alright for Online.

A nice suite of anti-control and anti-combo cards.  We might actually see effective beats/mid-range creature decks.

Some real decent tuning of the color pie. 

-Black is getting good discard that isn't overpowering in Thoughtseize (the new duress).  As much as I love Persecute, it was ridiculous how often it swung a game for you.  Instant speed reanimation.  A couple of decent card drawing/hand craziness cards that have potential.

-White is getting some goodies in flavour.  Some good remove from game effects (Oblivion Ring),  and decent kill creature cards (Crib Swap).  Geddock Teeg expands Whites "law setting" mechanic in a good way.  Decent token makers (Cloudgoat Ranger for instance).  Small, efficient creatures with good abilities (the tapping kithkin).  Some decent pump.

-Blue is continuing to move away from draw-go.  Flashing critters, with abilities.  Tricksie stuff.

-Green:  Big guys, at a good cost,  with relevant abilities.  Lots of synnergy with creature abilities.  Combine with a splash of white to lock out global removal,  could be very interesting.

-Red:  Some good sneak attack type spells.  Lots of pumpable creatures.  Reasonably costed critters with big front ends.  Goatnapper could be interesting (he steals changelings).  Red looks like it has a better mid-game and end-game.  Could see a decent Monored Control out of this.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:50:20 PM

'tisn't.

Unless salvation requires registration now or something?

Oh sure, now it works. The site must have been down briefly when I clicked it before or soemthing.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:28:47 AM

Avoided overpowering tribes in other formats by a couple color shifts.  (I'm looking at you goblins!) 

I disagree re: Goblins in extended (I presume that is what you mean).

The tribal type + tribalduals + Blood crypt + extended goblins have often been black-red = the mana symbols on goblins might as well be rakdos hybrid..

Tribal instants and sorceries mean ringleader now says 'When this comes into play draw 4 cards, discard lands drawn in this way'.

Matron : When this comes into play, Demonic Tutor.

Plus the goblins in tribal formats have not been an aggro deck for some time, it's slower than many tribes and uses control elements to keep the board clear for a combo out around turn 6-7. The Goblins in Lorwyn seem well pitched to support that strategy.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:26:50 PM

Avoided overpowering tribes in other formats by a couple color shifts.  (I'm looking at you goblins!) 

I disagree re: Goblins in extended (I presume that is what you mean).

The tribal type + tribalduals + Blood crypt + extended goblins have often been black-red = the mana symbols on goblins might as well be rakdos hybrid..

Tribal instants and sorceries mean ringleader now says 'When this comes into play draw 4 cards, discard lands drawn in this way'.

Matron : When this comes into play, Demonic Tutor.

Plus the goblins in tribal formats have not been an aggro deck for some time, it's slower than many tribes and uses control elements to keep the board clear for a combo out around turn 6-7. The Goblins in Lorwyn seem well pitched to support that strategy.

Let me start with a disclosure:  I haven't played competitive Extended in a while,  and haven't played against a competitive Goblin Extended deck since.....   maybe since Lackey was banned. 

I just don't see what you would cut in B/R goblin decks now to run the black gobs....  or what Lorwyn gobs are that powerful to fit in. 

Skirk Prospector, Warchief, Piledriver, and Sharpshooter are 4 of musts.  Sparksmith already provides reusuable critter removal,  and Gempalm incinerator is removal that cycles.  Ringleader is obvious.  Bidding is a 3 of if you are looking for the combo out using Sharpshooter.  Matron just squeaks in as tutoring (and can already fetch Sparksmith or Incinerator).  Siege-gang is a good 3 of.

That's not too mention guys like the Sledder, Mog Fanatic, Goblin Goon, and Mogg Warmarshal.

Boggart Mob is a possibility (the big champion a goblin guy,  with the goblin token creating power),  but the low cc gobs are meh (all graveyard triggers).  Even the Boggart Mob only creates tokens for combat damage,  so you can't just combo out with a Sharpshooter on the table.

Extended rotates very soon, anyway.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Lorwyn Spoiler Completed  
Jump to: