Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild Wars Pre-orders 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild Wars Pre-orders  (Read 11531 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: September 15, 2004, 05:36:03 PM

I see that NCsoft is doing their usual thing of handing out all kinds of benefits for pre-ordering.  

Apparently one of the bonuses is a free item which varies depending on what store you pre-order from (similarly to how they did the prestige powers in CoH),  EB appently has the Ithas bow, while GameStop has a War Pick.  Don't know what any of the other stores have yet since no one else has it on their website yet.

Also looks like you get access to Beta Weekends, which take place every weekend until release and you also get a pass to let a friend in as well.

All in all it seems like a pretty good pre-order package if anyone was planning on getting the game anyway.   Looks like you can also start downloading the GW client from the web site now too.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 06:53:41 PM

Ah good. I always preorder from EB and I'd want a bow since I'm playing the roguelike class. Win Win for schild. Too bad preorder weekends will always get slammed.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 06:42:43 AM

Since the client is readily available, have they said anything about buying a key online ala CoH?  I realize this is a touchy subject b/c distributors dont want people to ignore the shiny boxes sitting in best buy as being totally irrelevant, but was curious if anything official had been said.  In CoH's case they did it, but didn't annouce it ahead of time.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 07:51:30 AM

Quote from: schild
I always preorder from EB

*sob*
NewGuy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 12:50:23 PM

They'll be having another open beta weekend October 29-31 for those who want to try before they buy:

http://www.guildwars.com/preview/default.html
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 02:28:11 PM

Quote from: Sky
I always preorder from EB

*sob*

The store. Not the website, I hate waiting for shit. Brick and Mortar, k?

Anyway, why are you crying? Do you live in Bratislava or someshit?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 08:20:04 PM

The Website now offers in-store pickup for their popular pre-order items. Never tried it so I don't know how well it works.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 09:39:56 PM

Quote from: Trippy

The Website now offers in-store pickup for their popular pre-order items. Never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

Remarkably well the only time I tried it.

-Rasix
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 10:42:27 PM

So, any thoughts on if I should "chart" Guild Wars?  Do people who buy the game once and never buy an expansion pack still qualify as being called a "subscriber" alongside traditional monthly MMOG gamers?  I'm tempted to say yes, but I'm worried that they won't ever delete accounts; so if they sell, say, 200,000 boxes, they'll always claim to have at least that many players no matter how many of those continue to log in regularly.  Oh well, it's NCSoft, so chances are they'll give me a "monthly access" number to work with.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 08:59:49 AM

NCSoft will release actual figures that are relevant, which is why I like NCSoft.

I think GuildWars, unless it is a monumental failure, will redefine what it means to be an MMOG, and should be exactly the product that makes SOE and Blizzard shit their pants. The term subscribers will be meaningless for GW, and even concurrent users will be almost useless consider the ease of getting back into the game without having to resubscribe. I think expansion sales will be the big indicator; lots of folks will buy the original box, but only the ones really dedicated to playing it (whether casually or not) will buy the expansion.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 09:24:11 AM

Do you live in Bratislava or someshit?

Apparently. Because my free three day shipping turned into free one week shipping somehow. Closest EB is a half hour away and I don't like driving, but I'm warming to the idea quickly.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 10:38:26 AM

I think Haemish is right.

I suspect it will bring in the casual gamers as well. While MMP games are more frustrating than single player for casual gamers, adding on an ongoing fee is, I think, what kills the deal for a lot of people.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 02:13:11 PM

They just released a complete list of the bonus items:

Bone Idol
 Focus
 Use with Death Magic
 Available from: CompUSA

War Pick
 Hammer
 Use with Hammer Mastery
 Available from: GameStop

Kanthan Targe
 Shield
 Use with Tactics
 Available from: Best Buy

Ithas Bow
 Bow
 Use with Marksmanship
 Available from: Electronics Boutique (EB

Censor's Icon
 Focus
 Use with Smiting Prayers
 Available from: All other retailers
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 08:52:59 AM

I went to my EB and asked about this and the guy had no idea what I was talking about.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 10:32:14 AM

CompUSA doesn't seem to have any idea about it either. I was interested in throwing down some death magic.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 12:19:41 PM

Poor employees. "Hey do you know anything about the Bone Idol I can get for Guild Wars? It's for death magic!"

*employee hits the silent alarm and backs away from the counter*
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 12:52:07 PM

I look forward to meeting people like that.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 03:32:40 PM

I had the same problem at EB Games. After explaining to the manager what I was talking about, he checked their computer system. He said the game was due out in February, which he said means they'll be getting the preorders in around November. Which was all guessing on his part.

Of course, the Guild Wars site says that they're on their way to stores this week but were delayed by the Hurricanes. I'm planning on checking back this weekend.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 03:47:26 PM

delayed by the Hurricanes.

That whole team is full of thugs, but I never knew they would stoop this far.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004, 07:34:12 PM

Got my pre-order box at EB Games today. It's a pretty white box with a very long hair blond woman with very little covering her breasts. It comes with a pre-order CD, tournament survival guide, friend beta pass and your own beta pass, and a poster.
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 09:27:04 PM

so, this upcoming weekend (oct 1-3) will be the first Beta Weekend event? I have been entertaining the thought of picking this up, and if I can grab it during the week and then play on the weekends, that might be worth checking out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild Wars Pre-orders  
Jump to: