Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:46:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Tabula Rasa - Beta Tutorial Walkthrough 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa - Beta Tutorial Walkthrough  (Read 34642 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: September 07, 2007, 09:11:53 AM

Tabula Rasa - Beta Tutorial Walkthrough

Here is a 20 minute video of the Tabula Rasa Beta Tutorial with commentary by yours truly, updated with multiple formats and sizes:

Flash VP6, 92.7 MB, 512x384 (much better quality than Spark version below)

Flash Spark, 93.4 MB,  512x384 (only get this one if you have an ancient version of Flash)

Windows Media Video 9, 252 MB,  1024x768

H.264 MPEG-4, 240 MB, 1024x768 (comparable in quality to the WMV9 one above, just pick whichever format you prefer)

If you need a standalone program on Windows to view Flash (FLV) files you can try FLV Player or Riva FLV Player.

To view the H.264 MP4 file you'll need something like VLC media player, QuickTime, or Nero ShowTime which comes with Nero.

If you wish to discuss the video you can use the link at the bottom or if you want to join our Tabula Rasa discussion already in progress visit our forum topic here.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 01:45:04 PM

Thanks for doing that. Definitely helps one decide to give the game a try or not.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:56:36 PM

Someone should post a video of the later areas with the huge battles and scripted parts.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:35:00 PM

You win an award for most wird use of containers. Wtf is flash spark and what ol good xvid/h264 has done to you?
EDit: Yup, that's most epic fail msince something really failing.
Anyway - grab Megui from http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96032, its really hard to fail with that tool. It should download everything it needs except for Avisynth. Also, you will want to encode in xvid or h264 (if you fell your readers are pros)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 03:11:53 PM by JoeTF »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:25:46 PM

You win an award for most wird use of containers. Wtf is flash spark and what ol good xvid/h264 has done to you?
Yeah like nobody uses Flash Spark, except for YouTube, Google Video, and a bazillion other online video sites. Sorry if your system can't handle the format. As my message said, other formats are coming.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:29:12 PM

Someone should post a video of the later areas with the huge battles and scripted parts.
Character wipe makes that hard at the moment.
Grublet
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:37:11 PM

Character wipe makes that hard at the moment.
Use claymation. Or draw lots of stick figures and have people print them out and make their own flip book.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 02:48:39 AM

Updated to include other formats/sizes. I even made an H.264 MP4 version just for JoeTF since apparently making a version in the most ubiquitous online video format in the world was too obscure for his l33t video playback skills (despite the links to two stand alone Flash players).

Enjoy!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 11:36:12 AM

Simmer down now Trippy.  Great video though that is what we call useful fucking reviewing, great to just watch some playthrough with some commentary.  Did you post this on youtube?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 11:38:37 AM

I'm trying to get PCSX2 working right to FRAPS Soul Nomad. It's confusing as hell.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 04:20:49 PM

Great video though that is what we call useful fucking reviewing, great to just watch some playthrough with some commentary.  Did you post this on youtube?
YouTube videos are encoded at 320 x 240 at about the same quality as my first version (same ffmpeg Spark codec). You wouldn't be able to see much at that resolution. It'd also have to split it up cause YouTube has a limit of 10 minutes on videos. So, no I haven't posted it on YouTube.
Hokers
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 08:52:55 PM

Enjoyable watch, liked the insert before your first fight.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 09:07:24 PM

I just watched the whole thing...

First thought was: Great Job, Trippy.

And then, throughout the entire video, I just kept thinking: What a Shame.

At least from the tutorial, this game looks Mediocre, at best.

At a glance, the biggest thing this game needs is proper Hit and Collision Detection.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 09:31:46 PM

Watch the videos from here if you want to see the better parts:

http://www.playtr.com/media_downloads/video/video.html

Unfortunately there's nothing as interesting as that instance or Areiki in the first parts of the game (I got up to level 18 before the wipe and saw none of that).
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 03:51:39 AM

Yeah like nobody uses Flash Spark, except for YouTube, Google Video, and a bazillion other online video sites. Sorry if your system can't handle the format. As my message said, other formats are coming.
Yes, spark is good for online distributions systems like YouYube's 320x240 flicks, it fails as a codec for standalone video files with large resolution.
It's not really the only option - newest flash do support h264 and HDTV resolutions, you could even try embedded divx files.
For even easier h264 encoding, befriend this tool:
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=590233
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 08:53:30 AM

I haven't watched it yet, but i am worried by the fact that there is more talk of the video format here than of the game itself.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 07:20:22 PM

This has got to become F13's new thing.  This sparsely commented few minutes has told me more about the game than most reviews.  Ramp up the sarcastic commentaries to leave less dead air and this rocks as a review format.

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 07:21:31 PM

I'm wondering if FRAPS doesn't like dual cores. I'm trying to do the same thing with Soul Cradle (PCSX2 rocks), but it's sort of a mess. It comes out... garbled. And then converting, oooooooooooooooh converting.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 07:33:24 PM

Fraps loves dual cores. It can capture up to 2560x1600 if you have dual CPUs.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 10:54:35 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but i am worried by the fact that there is more talk of the video format here than of the game itself.

It's fitting.  I keep wanting to post something about the game, but there's nothing to say.  It looks utterly unremarkable.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 09:15:26 AM

You should have just thrown in random emoticons like so:   -_-;; 

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 09:18:05 AM

Quake Wars look more like what I was expecting TR to be.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 09:20:21 AM

Quake Wars look more like what I was expecting TR to be.

This is an interesting comment.

I agree.

I preferred the TR with harps and shit.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 09:31:48 AM

It's fitting.  I keep wanting to post something about the game, but there's nothing to say.  It looks utterly unremarkable.

It all looks a lot like Auto Assault.  That video really reminds me of the first few hours of playing AA.  Not a good thing.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 04:26:10 PM

It all looks a lot like Auto Assault.  That video really reminds me of the first few hours of playing AA.  Not a good thing.

You played AA for HOURS? I think I gave it about 45 minutes before I wandered off to find something sharp to jab into my eye.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 04:38:38 PM

I reviewed it.  Jerk.  :-D

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:45 AM

You know, this video was a good illustration and all, but really WAY WAY more work to make than the game deserved.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Tabula Rasa - Beta Tutorial Walkthrough  
Jump to: