Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:29:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Poll: What should clicking on a YouTube link do? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: What should clicking on a YouTube text link do?
Bring up popup with embedded video (current behavior) - 17 (48.6%)
Go straight to YouTube (the way it used to be) - 18 (51.4%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: What should clicking on a YouTube link do?  (Read 6665 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: September 01, 2007, 12:31:35 AM

I had only heard one complaint about the YouTube popup code until a couple of days ago when Righ said he hated it and now the complaints are seemingly coming out of the woodwork so I'd figured I'd better take a poll to see how people feel about things.

I just installed an updated version of the code that fixes an issue with Adblock Plus on Firefox but I've also added little YouTube icon links that you can click on to go straight to YouTube instead of having to bring up the popup and then clicking the LINK link or doing it from the player controls.

I plan on keeping that icon link around however I can swap the behavior around (though I would need to change the icon image) so the question is:

Should the text link bring up the popup and the icon go to YouTube?

or

Should the text link go to YouTube and the icon bring up the popup?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 07:11:47 AM

Convenient test link as demo.

I use a flashblock program so I assume that's why it has never worked very well for me, I always just click on "link" once the pop up comes.  The play button in the middle of the video rarely works and the bottom controls don't allow me to change volume or move to a different part of the video.  But obviously it is completely unreasonable to program around all of the thousands of plug-ins out there so I've never mentioned it and don't think it's an issue at all.

I also don't see the youtube icon in firefox but that might just be me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 07:25:23 AM by Miasma »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 08:31:19 AM

You disappoint. I was expecting to be rickrolled.

The close is now usable, thanks.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 02:48:18 PM

You disappoint. I was expecting to be rickrolled.
I took every ounce of willpower I had not to.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 02:58:22 PM

Huh. It works pretty much perfectly now (before I couldn't fast forward).
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:42:13 PM

The current setup is sexy, works and is better then similar setups I've seen.  It did take me like 10 times to adjust to it though.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:41:01 PM

I don't have strong feelings, but I do dislike the fact that the popup takes over the current window by default.  I like having video links open in another window so I can pause them and let them finish loading while I read the rest of the thread.

In the popup's favor, though, it does save me from the risk of reading any of the comments on Youtube itself.  Youtube comments are like brain poison.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 08:54:48 PM

My biggest problem with it, is that I can't break the habit of opening links in new tabs.  If you can make the popup not work on alt or cmd click, that would be spiffy.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 09:14:45 PM

I don't have strong feelings, but I do dislike the fact that the popup takes over the current window by default.  I like having video links open in another window so I can pause them and let them finish loading while I read the rest of the thread.

In the popup's favor, though, it does save me from the risk of reading any of the comments on Youtube itself.  Youtube comments are like brain poison.
True popup windows (i.e. creating new browser windows) have issues because of all the popup blockers out there even when you are creating a new window from the same domain. The "letting it load while I read other stuff" is an interesting suggestion. Those of you using Firefox on the Mac can already do that because the "fade out" causes FF to crash so I disabled that on there.

I turned that off for all browsers for now. I'm too lazy right now to make another poll right now so just post in here for now if you prefer it without the "fadeout" effect.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 09:16:09 PM

My biggest problem with it, is that I can't break the habit of opening links in new tabs.  If you can make the popup not work on alt or cmd click, that would be spiffy.
Trapping key codes in JavaScript is a bit hairy. Plus there will be people who don't want it to override their modifier keys.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:25:29 AM

I just open youtube links in a new tab.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 08:54:04 AM

Oo, I like it more better without the fadeout.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:01:22 AM

I'll tell you what it shouldn't do: get blocked by Corporate (yes, they don't let us open wmv files anymore). Bitter.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 05:15:21 AM

I click and I just get the You Tube site in a new window.

Is this expected behaviour?

I'm not running any fancy blockers that I'm aware of.

But I am in firefox and the white/blue theme.

Anyway, just appearing in a new window is fine.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 05:33:00 AM

I click and I just get the You Tube site in a new window.

Is this expected behaviour?
Nope.

I'm not running any fancy blockers that I'm aware of.
You probably are.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 07:47:26 AM

Justy fyi, I tried the site on a 5th machine with the usual standard builds for Windows XP, and I still can't get it to work. I'm starting to think this is a conspiracy to drive me insane.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 10:39:37 AM

Damn, no popups are winning. I suppose you could let the hyperlink launch youtube normally, but then add code that makes the little youtube icon launch the popup window. That way, everyone is happy.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 06:57:07 AM

It was a close vote (it was actually 16 to 18 since one of the votes was mine cause I needed to see the results) but I'll be switching things, when I have the time, so that the link goes straight to YouTube and there will be a little icon that'll bring up the popup.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Poll: What should clicking on a YouTube link do?  
Jump to: