Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:24:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: I realize this is likely the LAST place to ask this, but 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I realize this is likely the LAST place to ask this, but  (Read 14582 times)
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

on: March 23, 2004, 11:43:02 AM

I've been invited to a release party (not gaming, something at work) at someone's house, and recognize that its considered well mannered to bring a gift - question is, what is appropriate?

Or is it no longer considered gallant to do this? I'm thinking a bottle of merlot or something.

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:45:31 AM

What kind of party, what kind of office do you work at?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:57:29 AM

IIRC, he works for the Pentagon in some way - or at least near it - from his 9/11 commentary.

The only time a bottle of wine is inappropriate is if the host is an alcoholic. If you are the only person that brings a present, then so what? If the party is celebratory, consider champagne but don't cheap out if you do.

I have never played WoW.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 11:59:56 AM

It can depend. If a dinner party a desert of some sort is the safest bet.

If not then a bottle of wine would be good. If you are not sure if they are wine drinkers or not then go with a white wine (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Riesling, or Gewurztraminer). White wines are more palatable to those not used to drinking reds. Something in the $15 - $30 range. Go to a decent wine store and ask for a sommelier to recommend something. If you want something a little cheaper ($10-$12) I can recommend the Che. St. Michelle Riesling and the B&G Vouvray. Those are our two every day wines and are agreeable to just about anyone who's tried them.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 12:03:45 PM

Quote from: UD_Delt
B&G Vouvray.

I also recommend the Petite Syrah, it's a little harder to come by, but quite good.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 12:26:07 PM

If you know they like red wine (or merlot in particular) there is a particularly good French wine called Delas. They make a Merlot that I can get for about $8 that tastes nothing like what you might think a wine that cheap would taste like.

But if you're a social misfit like me, you figure that bringing a gift to a party is a really strange silly old custom.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 12:54:28 PM

If wine scares you, bring something you can munch on, like tins of popcorn or bite-sized cookies. Those things are generally nice party gifts if they are wrapped or packaged appopriately. That means don't buy the bag of Famous Amos at Sam's and slap a bow on it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
cerberus

Email
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 12:57:42 PM

if its a release party bring a copy of daikatana wrapped up so he doesn't know what it is. You could even put tape over the Daikatans name and write in marker the name of the software being released.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 01:46:36 PM

Australian Shiraz or New Zealand Reisling.  That's all I know.  Just remember that white wine should be served cold, so if you want something that can be broken open right there, go red.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 02:24:08 PM

Wine is pretty much the standard gift to bring regardless of the occassion.  For a slight mixup bring cheese and crackers or some other "Or-Derve".  Brie, Camambert, Stilton etc. and some nice crackers, or sliced sourdough.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 03:07:03 PM

Chocolate Babka.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 04:12:27 PM

I have always been a fan of the 'Tube Sock'. Cant go wrong there. who would not be excited to receive a 10 pack of Tube Socks?

A good red wine we have found is Camelot Merlot. Its very smooth and soft, also, if its slightly game or dork releate, every one gets a kcik out of the name.

A bottle should run you $7 to $10.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 05:59:01 PM

Do not bring food to a dinner party unless you have arranged it in advance with the host.

Food that can be put away until later is good, though, such as nice chocolates/truffles/whatever.

But you knew that already, Arc. ;)
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 04:22:00 AM

Vineyard in the family, so I get reasonably good wine for free. neener neeners.

Its a software rollout party for the coders, testers, and IT support staff (me) that is taking the place of our usual Friday Happy Hour(s) and includes a meal provided by the host.

I actually have a book of etiquitte at home (yes, my wife bought it for me on a whim. Read all the funny into that you want), and it says that regardless of the reason or the function, having dinner at someone's house means you should bring them sometime, and wine is generally a good idea, but its sort of done with the expectation that they'll open and serve it during dinner.

I decided on Merlot because at this mini-vineyard in Maryland, thats pretty much the best of their work - its won medals and stuff while the rest of their bottles tend to go unrecognized.

BUT - there will be about 8 people there, so I wouldn't expect them to open it. Hence, that was the question: If I dont expect them to open it, but just offer it to add to their personal stock (they're drinkers), then I'd do it.

unbannable
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 05:18:59 AM

One of the things that I had seen done as a dinner party guest gift was a centerpiece type thing with candles, and it was quite awkward watching the host try and pry it onto the perfectly arranged table. On advice from a friend I always bring wine and some other thing (like chocolates or a dessert) because sometimes an abundance of one or the other happens.

I was more curious about the type of "release" the party was celebrating but I guess with all the wine discussion that was more of a tangent that's not public yet. I hope you tell us all about the software after the release.

edit to clarify and finish last thought

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 05:21:25 AM

just the newest version of some in-house automation software. Nothing monumental, and in fact, its a glorified SQL database with a VB created front end, because the DoD doesn't like looking at a giant database. They want to look at buttons and comment fields.

unbannable
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 05:24:32 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
because the DoD doesn't like looking at a giant database. They want to look at buttons and comment fields.

Thanks for that Arc... will be laughing for days thinking of that.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 06:47:30 AM

In that case you should show up with a bottle of Night Train, and a card that says "Good enough for government work."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 07:26:46 AM

Quote from: Morphiend
A good red wine we have found is Camelot Merlot. Its very smooth and soft, also, if its slightly game or dork releate, every one gets a kcik out of the name.

A bottle should run you $7 to $10.

They make a fucking beautiful Pinot Noir for about the same price as well.

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 07:48:59 AM

Well if you're looking for a decent but REALLY cheap wine and have access to a Trade Joe's near you try http://www.traderjoes.com/new/chuckshaw.asp">Two Buck Chuck. It's Charles Shaw wine and it sells for between $2-$4.

I've only tried the Merlot and I enjoyed it. Keep in mind this is coming from mainly a white wine drinker. I'm not a big fan of anything with high tanins or that is to oaky.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 08:11:55 AM

Two Buck Chuck is fucking horrible. If you like it, you should never ever ever give wine advice to anyone.

I have never played WoW.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 08:52:37 AM

Two Buck Chuck is fucking horrible. If you like it, you should never ever ever give wine advice to anyone.

For $2 I'll recommend it to anyone and let them make their own opinion. Sutter Home used to be the cheap, mass consumed, but drinkable wine of choice and I would say that Charles Shaw is about the same quality but half (or less) the price.

Taste of course being compared to other cheap wines like Boones, Maddog, Thunderbird etc...

Two Buck Chuck does make for a conversation point though seeing as it's an almost real bottle of wine for $2. I guess if you're high society like Shiznitz that conversation would be an embarassment but for us low-class folk we're not as edumucated and like to talk about the good deals we've found as we chug our thunderbird, maddog and two buck chuck out of paper bags.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 09:30:18 AM

Ok, I'll be serious.

I'd go with some Kosher Wine.

It fits the etiqutte bill,will be new and different to many and therefore a good topic of conversation and may even provide someone with an opportunity to drink some wine when they didn't think they would be able to but aren't bold or vocal enough to mention it.  This time of year many Jews get more observant about the whole Kosher thing with Passover coming up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 09:45:09 AM

If you give wine, make sure its no more than $25 and no less than $10. Anything over/under that price range is generally either too high society for a gift or too low brow as to be insulting. I recommend Mondovi Cabs preferably in 99 if you can get them at a good price, which is under $25.

The fact is if your party is not in the ghetto, don't go with wine sold in pints. If it is in the ghetto, go with Night Train, Beeeyotch!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 10:28:58 AM

Quote from: Paelos
If you give wine, make sure its no more than $25 and no less than $10. Anything over/under that price range is generally either too high society for a gift or too low brow as to be insulting. I recommend Mondovi Cabs preferably in 99 if you can get them at a good price, which is under $25.

The fact is if your party is not in the ghetto, don't go with wine sold in pints. If it is in the ghetto, go with Night Train, Beeeyotch!

Remember- if you go with the Train, proper etiquette demands that it be consumed from within a paper bag.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 11:35:42 AM

Quote from: UD_Delt

Two Buck Chuck does make for a conversation point though seeing as it's an almost real bottle of wine for $2. I guess if you're high society like Shiznitz that conversation would be an embarassment but for us low-class folk we're not as edumucated and like to talk about the good deals we've found as we chug our thunderbird, maddog and two buck chuck out of paper bags.

There is a lot of society between $2 wine and Dom '68. If you like wine, you can find tasty options in the $6-9 range that makes Chuck turpentine in comparison.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: March 24, 2004, 12:50:40 PM

Don't be dissing Boone's Farm, mofos. They make a tasty Sangria.

The Australians are making a decent selection of wines now, oddly enough. Yellow Tail is a good choice.

Faust
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 01:45:19 PM

I do a fair amount of entertaining at the house both for fun and for business entertaining.  I went to Culinary School, and ran a Brewery for 6 years, although I'm a Marketing Guy for Consumer Electronics now.  

If someone brings a bottle of wine I open it, serve it to the guest, and make sure my wife and I both have a glass whether we like it or not and then make yummy noises about it even if its bad.  Bringing your own bottle of wine occasionally means "this is what I want to drink"... As a host it's also quite rude to stuff the guests bottle in the rack and bring out your own prefered bottle.  People spend time thinking about what wine to bring... so your obligated to appreciate it through action.  Same for beer if it looks like they put any thought into it at all.

In fact, I prefer it if guests DON'T bring wine because, as chef, I usually have my own wine in mind while building dinner.  Someone shows up with the wrong stuff and I'm stuck serving things with wine I'm unfamiliar with.  Not to mention, from experience, by the time guests start arriving I'm going into stress mode making sure the last minute details are handled and the arriving guests are treated to a beverage (which you KNOW I've thought about in detail) and the obligatory small talk required.  

I don't have time to sit down and evaluate a wine so I decant, snort, compliment, and then move on without even really thinking about the stuff.  If Mr Guest is droning on about how great the stuff is it's going in one ear and out the other as I think about everyone else's well being.  Smile, Nod, Smile, Bail.

So... leave the wine at home (IMHO).

As an alternative, I would suggest 2 "never fails" items to concider:

1. some seasonal flowers if there's a lady of the house

2. call 20 minutes before your supposed to arrive and ask if they need anything from the store such as a bag of ice.  Tell them your actually IN the store and wondering if they are short on anything so that it isn't percieved as a pain in the ass to fetch them something.  Often you can arrive as Teh Hero if you show up with that forgotten bit of Ice Cream or French Bread or whatever just in the nick of time.  If they say they are fine, go to #1.

Kin Rha
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: I realize this is likely the LAST place to ask this, but  
Jump to: