Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 03:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gorgeous Korean MMORPG in development - Tales Weaver 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gorgeous Korean MMORPG in development - Tales Weaver  (Read 8420 times)
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

on: September 13, 2004, 11:46:59 AM

I don't think Tales Weaver (TalesWeaver?)  has been mentioned at f13.  It's a sprite-based Korean MMORPG similar to Ragnarok Online.

Homepage: http://www.talesweaver.co.kr
Pretty screenshots: http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/talesweaver/index.html

I don't know Korean so it's hard to determine what state the game is in currently.  It looks like open beta.

Of course, I'm sure it will have all the standard pitfalls of its predecessors: limited character variety, centuries-long treadmill, rampant kill stealing and camping, duping, hacks, unchecked griefing, not to mention a terrible English port (if any).

Anyway, the screenshots are pretty.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 11:51:05 AM

2D cell games can be a bit misleading.   Sure, they're of hand-drawn quality, but they often animate poorly against a static, nonchanging background.  

Looks like this particular one has a sort of Disgaea artistic style to it (when outside of the Item World backgrounds, which greatly emphesized function over form).

Asheron's Call 2, now there's a gorgeous game.   Unfortunately, the gameplay was dull enough to be genuinely depressing.   Here's hoping that this particular game is better, but I wager it's probably yet another Lineage clone.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 12:31:02 PM

Quote from: Aenovae

Anyway, the screenshots are pretty.

If there ever was a proof needed, that you can't judge other people's taste in anything, this would be it.

I, personaly could not stand playing this.

On the other hand, I have been playing  this

/shrugs

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:41:40 PM

You showed us pictures of this game? Why do you hate us so?

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 01:41:27 PM

R.O.S.E Online looks better. A LOT Better. Here's a screenshot archive: http://www.roseonline.co.kr/Community/UserSShot.asp

That said:

HOLY FUCKING KEKE ZERGRUSH++. ^_^
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 02:11:42 PM

Personally I think the first game posted by the OP looks better than R.O.S.E. at least going by the few screenshots.  How they animate will be the determining factor though.  Neither one looks very appealing to my eyes as a game I would be caught DEAD playing.  *shudder*
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 05:52:29 PM

I think it looks nice. It has a very clean look to it, that a lot of 3D games lack.

It's hard to do something like 2D MMORPG though, because 3D makes it a lot easier to swtich out helmets, armors, swords, etc.
--
About AC2, the animation was *atrocious.* Your walking speed and the movement of your feet were completely disjoint...I noticed that 5 seconds into the game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 07:21:01 PM

RO had a few things going for it.  For instance, the fact that apparently Koreans find sadism entertaining and the treadmill fresh.

As for this game....didn't Lineage 2 show us just how pretty Korean games can be?  (If the gameplay is genuinely entertaining I apoligize for comparing it to L2)

As for the one schild linked to :

I'm at a loss for words to describe that facial option.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 10:26:20 PM

I agree with the original poster -- those Talesweaver backgrounds are gorgeous with a detailed "painterly" look you just can't get with 3D graphics at the moment. The R.O.S.E. screenshots remind me of WoW except with super deformed characters. Having played enough Japanese (S)RPGs I don't have a problem with the "cutsey" look of the super deformed characters either.

Quote from: schild
HOLY FUCKING KEKE ZERGRUSH++. ^_^

That's not any different than UO, and in fact looks better since you don't have the bizarre capitalization and all-caps "yelling" in Japanese like you do with Roman alphabet languages.

Quote from: Margalis
It's hard to do something like 2D MMORPG though, because 3D makes it a lot easier to swtich out helmets, armors, swords, etc.

It can be more work to have to "render" objects at multiple viewing angles for 2D sprites (though there are tools to automate this sort of thing if you start with a 3D object) but as games like UO, Diablo and even The Sims have shown it's certainly possible.

Quote from: Shavnir
I'm at a loss for words to describe that facial option.

Yeah that guys looks like he's on some serious drugs. I love the sunglasses on the little one, though.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 12:41:23 AM

After those screenshots, I am going to cut my eyeballs out, with a rusty spoon.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Off to work

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 12:48:52 AM

Did someone say rusty spoon?

SALAD FINGERS!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 02:55:08 AM

Quote from: schild
Did someone say rusty spoon?

SALAD FINGERS!

Sweet merciful crap salad fingers is fucked up.

As for the kekemmogs. BAAAAAAH! After Fung Wan Online. NEVER AGAIN  I TOUCH A MMOG OUT OF THE EAST!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 11:32:42 AM

I played the Korean beta of Tales Weaver. It was a pretty blah Diablo clone with clumsy controls, boring combat, and good music. It certainly was pretty though.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 11:39:07 AM

All Asian art in these games makes me stabby. Any time someone says something looks beautiful and links to a pic of a nice background with a big-titted anime chick, I die a little inside.

I'd trade all the big-boobed avatars in the world for a game that doesn't make me wish we'd dropped more bombs over there.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gorgeous Korean MMORPG in development - Tales Weaver  
Jump to: