Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: f13.radio 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Poll
Question: Would you listen to f13.radio?  (Voting closed: September 11, 2004, 10:58:44 AM)
Yes - 13 (43.3%)
Maybe - 17 (56.7%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: f13.radio  (Read 4681 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 11, 2004, 10:33:52 AM

Ok, so, the piece of software I was waiting for was released. Basically I need a roll call on who would like an f13.net radio station. We'd probably be streaming at 128kbps. Here are the bands we discussed in the other thread:

Peter Murphy/Bauhaus
Apoptygma Berzerk
VNV Nation
Evil's Toy
Skinny Puppy
Frontline Assembly/Synesthasia/other Side Projects of Leeb and Co.
Iris
Bella Morte
Bigod 20
Blondie
Xymox
Cosmicity
Covenant
David Bowie
Echo Image
Hanzel und Gretyl
In the Nursery
Kraftwerk
Joy Division
Melotron
Mesh
NIN (early stuff)
Ravenous
Silke Bischoff
SPOCK
Statemachine
The Cure
And One
Aslan Faction
Assemblage 23
Beborn Betorn
Camoflage
Centhron
Colony 5
C-Tec
DAF
DeVision
Diary of Dreams
Diorama
Dulce Liquido
E-craft
Fairlight Children
Feindflug
Front 242
Funker Vogt
Hocico
Icon of Coil
In Strict Confidence
Informatik
Ionic Vision
Karl Bartos
Lame Immortele
Leatherstrip
Laibach
Miss Kitten & The Hacker
Neuropa
Neurotic Fish
Nitzer Ebb
Pouppée Fabbrikk
Project Pitchfork
Psyclon Nine
Punto Omega
Rational Youth
Run Level Zero
RX
Seabound
Solitary Experiments
Spetsnaz
Suicide Commando
T.O.Y
Tactical Sekt
Welle Erdball
Velvet Acid Christ
:Wumpscut:
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Delerium
Einsturzende Neubauten
Two (a side project of Rob Halford, pretty difficult to come by)
KMFDM / MDFMK

I have a whole lot of this shit. And it seems others have the few things I don't have. I have to know - would you rather me set up a playlist and each week I'll start a thread and you can vote stuff off? Sort of survival radio I guess. Also, this has to be private radio. Anyone who wants in has to give me a login and password. The first 5 people to respond to the thread (AND send me pms with a login/password) will get access when we set it up (which should be sometime this coming week). After that I will monitor bandwidth uses for 2-3 days, scale back on quality if necessary and make adjustments for  giving the rest of you all logins/passwords.

Btw, we'll be using this program:
http://streamline.sourceforge.net/

And it can't be public because of legal reasons. Yes, the RIAA can even get to Pirate radio. And very easily at that. Even though I'm sure every single one of those bands would love any exposure, except for maybe Peter Murphy, if he hadn't gotten exposure we may still have Bauhaus. Anyway, yea, respond respond respond.

Thanks.

btw, this is one of the reasons I was looking for Celebrate the Nun.

Edit: Added poll, realized that forcing response would be unfair to the shy bastards that don't post. Also, got rid of the 'no' option because I realized it was irrelevant. It's just a matter of getting enough Yes' to be worthwhile.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 10:54:29 AM

Radio? Who needs a radio? Ready Harry? Mock *YEAH* ing *YEAH* Bird *YEAH* Yeah *YEAH*

Anyway, I guess I'd check it out for the music. Are we talking any other content, or just a continuous playlist?

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 10:57:01 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
Anyway, I guess I'd check it out for the music. Are we talking any other content, or just a continuous playlist?

Hm, considering the versatility of streamline I guess there would be other uses if requested such as audio books, interviews (liberally taken from other sites), etc.. Either way, we'll start with radio and work from there.

edit: had to reset poll up top. Seems a couple people could only see the results.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 03:20:28 PM

Poll won't let me post.  Maybe you should delete this thread and start a new one?

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 07:35:24 PM

Poll fixed. Everyone take part now kthx.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 08:40:00 PM

I'd like a new radio station since radio netscape has now limited the number of tracks you can listen to daily.  Though looking over the list you have there, I'd be listening to every 5th song.

I still give it a yes vote.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 10:18:47 PM

If that program works on OSX I could listen at work.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 10:20:12 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
If that program works on OSX I could listen at work.

Just read the page. If there's a mac version of Winamp, it works. It just streams Ogg and MP3s and since I don't use Ogg. It should work.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 03:35:42 PM

Hrmm.. why not use a p2p radio app like PeerCast or p2p-radio. Saves you on the bandwidth. Pretty sure PeerCast gives you a password protect option as well.

I was thinking about doing something similar but instead of radio doing a video stream w/ game related vidoes/trailers/etc (like the SWG music videos and the beat Mario in 5 minutes). The problem with most fan made game videos though is that they use commercial music which is a copyright issue.
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 05:58:54 PM

The beat mario in 5 minutes is nowhere near as amazing as the guy that did all the levels in one hour.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 08:46:08 PM

So, the radio idea is shut down due to legal reasons...it would seem. I know we have a few lawyer types around here, do any of you know if a private server is legal? Private as in by invitation only and tied to IP addresses.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 09:23:31 PM

It is still not legal. Unless you are going to pony up the money to the label, publisher, artist, etc...

Of course, if it is private does it really matter how legal it is?
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 09:28:46 PM

Quote from: Shockeye
It is still not legal. Unless you are going to pony up the money to the label, publisher, artist, etc...

Yes, it does. I'm wondering why it's not legal. I mean I can play all the music I want to a house full of people. What's the difference between that and a private server?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 10:49:42 PM

Disclaimer: IANAL

Quote from: schild

Yes, it does. I'm wondering why it's not legal. I mean I can play all the music I want to a house full of people.

Actually it depends on who is in your house. Here's the definition from US copyright law:

To perform or display a work ''publicly'' means -

(1)

to perform or display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered; or

(2)

to transmit or otherwise communicate a performance or display of the work to a place specified by clause (1) or to the public, by means of any device or process, whether the members of the public capable of receiving the performance or display receive it in the same place or in separate places and at the same time or at different times.

The relevant part is the "substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered". If your house is full of randoms then technically you are playing music in a "public" place and are infringing on copyrights unless you made prior arrangements. So for example, the music blaring during a frat house party with random students wandering in would almost certainly be illegal.

What's the difference between that and a private server?

Good question. Looking at clause (2) above sort of implies that it is okay to setup a "radio station" as long as it isn't available publicly where publicly is defined in clause (1). But again IANAL so you might want to ask a copyright lawyer about this sort of stuff. It used to be easier to understand since there was a specific exemption for not for profit performances but that got removed, and of course we have all the new digital rights laws (DMCA), copyright extensions (as if 70 years wasn't long enough) and so on -- it's just a big big mess.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 04:45:14 AM

All MacArthur Park, All the time.

unbannable
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 09:42:51 AM

You can read what you have to do and what you have to pay to be legal here:
soundexchange.com/licensee_home.html

The way I read it you have to pay $2020 to be legal. Thats $20 filing fee and $2000 minimum fee for 2004 as you expenses and revenue would effectively be $0.

Or you could just have HRose run it since he is in Italy where they probably don't have bullshit webcasting fees.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 09:54:04 AM

Quote from: Krakrok
You can read what you have to do and what you have to pay to be legal here:
soundexchange.com/licensee_home.html

The way I read it you have to pay $2020 to be legal. Thats $20 filing fee and $2000 minimum fee for 2004 as you expenses and revenue would effectively be $0.

Or you could just have HRose run it since he is in Italy where they probably don't have bullshit webcasting fees.

It may be tough to have HRose run it as he probably can't read this.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 12:23:23 PM

So much for my asking for some Starlight Vocal Band then...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2004, 12:57:46 PM

Quote from: schild

Yes, it does. I'm wondering why it's not legal. I mean I can play all the music I want to a house full of people. What's the difference between that and a private server?

The RIAA can't track the people in your house by their IP Addresses. Also, the difference may only be visible to a lawyer who has some form of profit potential in settling the question.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2004, 01:48:06 PM

I think I know three artists on that list.

Would it kill you to play some Foghat?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 10:31:53 AM

Not a goddamned chance I would listen. I like ya'll, but our musical tastes could not be more different.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 11:40:50 AM

I listen to like 2 bands on that list and have never heard of the majority of them. On the note of an f13 radiostation though... have you people never heard of shoutcast?

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 11:45:42 AM

I'd listen if you threw in some AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Guns N' Roses, Chili Peppers, Metallica, Skynyrd, Sublime, NIN, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana.

You know, rock and junk.

And that list needs more cowbell.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 02:45:52 PM

hey, i was one of the dorks who was participating in that old thread when it was on the mass media forums. count me in.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: f13.radio  
Jump to: