Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Obscure Synthpop 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obscure Synthpop  (Read 3869 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 09, 2004, 05:59:06 PM

I have a feeling maybe 2 people on this board may know about the following 3 albums (well 1 album and 2 EPs):

Celebrate the Nun, "Continuous" - 1991
"              "        ", "She's a Secretary EP"
"              "        ", "Will you be there EP" - Promo

If you can't tell, I'm jonesing some bubblegummy synthpop. Continuous is running about $100-$150 on GEMM otherwise I'd just order myself a copy. It's been out of print for about a decade now. Can someone help a brother out?
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 11:05:53 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 11:32:24 AM

I saw that. The problem is, the CD should cost about $100 or $150. Anyone who owns it knows that. I'm kinda worried about ordering from Mr. 10 Feedback on what is easily one of the rarest synthpop cds available.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 11:41:28 AM

If you don't mind vinyl this place is listing a few.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 12:58:48 PM

$100........

I suppose if you are in a tax bracket that can toss that money around for a cd then ignore me.. but a hundred bucks for a CD?  Why not contact the ebayer and offer him $20 to burn it for you.  He still sells it and you still get it. win win

-fraeg

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:32:50 PM

I'll pay $100+ for rare vinyl but not for a CD.

Actually, I did pay $100 for a CD once, but it was for a limited collector's edition of Sugar's "Copper Blue" in the copper case along with the polaroid photo inside. But that was more for a collection thing than just for listening to.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 01:53:43 PM

Quote from: Fraeg
Why not contact the ebayer and offer him $20 to burn it for you.  He still sells it and you still get it. win win -fraeg

The issue is that he likely already did burn it which is why it's so affordable.

Also, it sort of a win(seller)/win(buyer)/lose(artist) thing.   However, the conversation is drifting perhaps a little too close to the ol' copyright issue to get Schild his CDs.

I'm not much help in this conversation, really.   Personally, when I'm in the mood for music, I surf over to www.digitallyimported.com

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 07:25:09 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Also, it sort of a win(seller)/win(buyer)/lose(artist) thing.   However, the conversation is drifting perhaps a little too close to the ol' copyright issue to get Schild his CDs.

I'm willing to bet that the artist doesn't get any cut from an ebay sale.
Dropping $100 on an item that could easily be counterfeit doesn't strike me as a great idea, especially when the seller is at 10 on the feedback-ometer.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 10:44:38 PM

Quote from: DaveNYC
I'm willing to bet that the artist doesn't get any cut from an ebay sale.

True, an artist wouldn't get a cut out of an eBay sale.  However, they would if the item was legitimately bought before it was put on eBay.

I think.  I don't know how these bloodsucking record companies are doing it these days.   Maybe if somebody buys the CD the artist gets a punch in the arm instead.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 05:08:32 PM

Heh. I only have a http://feedback.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=wire2k">5 feedback and I've been using eBay since '99. (The negative feedback from 2000 was a scammer.)

The linked CD looks legit. If it isn't, you can report him for fraud and get him thrown off eBay. I suspect the seller doesn't know the value of what he's selling. I wouldn't (never heard of them and I actually like obscure 80's synthpop)
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 08:07:55 PM

I'll probably snipe it come tuesday night if it's still around. I may email him and ask if I can just 'buy it now' before the auction closes. Unfortunately I'm broke for a few days. My job is such shit.

I'm really only buying the album for 1 song: "Will You be There"

I have a mess of their other stuff on mp3 somewhere. That's the only fantastic thing they've recorded. One hit wonder, suprise!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 10:21:31 PM

Quote from: schild
I'll probably snipe it come tuesday night if it's still around. I may email him and ask if I can just 'buy it now' before the auction closes. Unfortunately I'm broke for a few days. My job is such shit.

I'm really only buying the album for 1 song: "Will You be There"

I have a mess of their other stuff on mp3 somewhere. That's the only fantastic thing they've recorded. One hit wonder, suprise!

Oh Napster... where for art thou Napster.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 10:44:32 PM

Napster's still around, albeit heavily bound under unfun trade restrictions that are engineered to prevent you from downloading other people's intellectual property without paying for it.

There's many, many, many, clones out there, however.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 12:03:02 PM

Soulseek is the answer you're looking for
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 12:35:10 AM

Post deleted, sorry about that.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 12:39:52 AM

Sigh, didn't mean to incite a conversation about piracy. Not locking the thread, but hmmmm, don't crack the already thin ice.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Obscure Synthpop  
Jump to: