Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:43:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: New logitech wireless gamepad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New logitech wireless gamepad  (Read 7053 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: September 07, 2004, 09:49:02 AM

It's not out yet, but I'm excited. I sit about 10' from my pc&monitor, using a logitech wireless mx duo (which I'll be upgrading with that hot new laser mouse, also from logitech), so this will finally allow me to play my full library of games without dragging the pc across the room so my usb gamepad will reach (racing, flying, vice city, etc).

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=11,CONTENTID=9069

This has been your cordless gaming public service announcement.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 11:24:57 AM

This looks like it uses the exact same technology as the Logitech Ps2 wireless controller (the very expensive like $70 one). Word of warning, I've used a handful of Logitech wireless stuff, it's all sucked. Though, your mileage may vary.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 11:32:29 AM

Actually, after trying a couple other (gyration, MS) cordless keyboard/mouse solutions, the logitech works the best for me. Great distance and responsiveness for RF technology.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 01:16:49 PM

How the hell do you sit 10' away from your monitor and still game competitively.

I have a problem where I sit up in my chair about 10" from my monitor to game.  Fucking same thing happens w/ my xbox, can't sit back and game...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 01:56:54 PM

He has a ginormous TV monitor type thingie.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 01:58:52 PM

C'mon now, I don't want to be bragging and whatnot (though as broke as I am I should get some bragging out of it)

61" monitor. Took some getting used to, and I'm not 100% as good as I was with the 21" monitor a couple inches from my nose at 1600x1200 in bf1942.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 04:03:12 PM

Quote from: Sky
C'mon now, I don't want to be bragging and whatnot (though as broke as I am I should get some bragging out of it)

61" monitor. Took some getting used to, and I'm not 100% as good as I was with the 21" monitor a couple inches from my nose at 1600x1200 in bf1942.

Up until a month ago (moved, smaller apt) I had an 84' monitor, sucker. Front projectors are a beautiful thing. </tooting my own horn>
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 04:04:43 PM

Quote from: schild

Up until a month ago (moved, smaller apt) I had an 84' monitor, sucker. Front projectors are a beautiful thing. </tooting my own horn>

!!!!

-Rasix
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 04:09:57 PM

How did it play? 800x600?  As far as I know that's what most business projectors went too.

Sky, is that a 61" TV that you use your computer on or an actual dirty fucking computer monitor.  You dirty whore.  Slut.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:49:41 AM

It's a 61" tv. Schild, I can also play Thief:DS in full daylight! :P Actually, I looked long and hard at FPs before I got the RPTV, but in the end I went with the RPTV because the guy at Circuit City screwed up and knocked $1350 off the price instead of $350 on the register :)

The only real "downside" is the native 1280x720 resolution, I had been used to more vertical resolution than that. It does 1024x768 (for the three games that won't do widescreen), and I can kludge higher resolutions with powerstrip (shareware app), but 1280x720 looks fine with aa/af for most games. Also, a lot of games need to be tweaked to run in widescreen properly.

Gaming is going to get real incredible in the next few years, as this stuff trickles down. Hell, every gamer that's been to my apartment has either bought a front projector or rptv for gaming. Even one on welfare with several kids. I didn't say they had their priorities straight...

I do feel like a dirty whore sometimes, though. But hey, I gave up drinking beer for 6 months so I could afford it. That's one mighty sacrifice imo.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 06:52:16 AM

I have gone through 3 Logitech MX-700 cradles.  Logitech is beginning to piss me off.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 06:57:13 AM

I don't use the cradle. Having 4 rechargables and a recharging station that can fully top off two batteries in 15 minutes or less has served me fine. Batteries in the mouse last around two weeks before needing recharging.

For the keyboard, I'm using 'regular' batteries, only changed them once in 7 months.

I honestly expected a lot more problems with batteries, but it's been a non-issue. $30 for the 4 rechargables + recharging station.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 09:31:23 AM

It's a 61" tv. Schild, I can also play Thief:DS in full daylight! :P Actually, I looked long and hard at FPs before I got the RPTV, but in the end I went with the RPTV because the guy at Circuit City screwed up and knocked $1350 off the price instead of $350 on the register :)

The only real "downside" is the native 1280x720 resolution, I had been used to more vertical resolution than that. It does 1024x768 (for the three games that won't do widescreen), and I can kludge higher resolutions with powerstrip (shareware app), but 1280x720 looks fine with aa/af for most games. Also, a lot of games need to be tweaked to run in widescreen properly.

Gaming is going to get real incredible in the next few years, as this stuff trickles down. Hell, every gamer that's been to my apartment has either bought a front projector or rptv for gaming. Even one on welfare with several kids. I didn't say they had their priorities straight...

I do feel like a dirty whore sometimes, though. But hey, I gave up drinking beer for 6 months so I could afford it. That's one mighty sacrifice imo.

God Damn that's sexy.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 03:21:37 AM

Just for the record, my Logitech MX-700 works flawless since I bought it, so do the Logitech mice of 4 friends who prefer them over other mice now. Even thinking about buying a MX-1000.

My Ipod on the other hand, hate Apple with a vengeance for that akku shit they pulled...
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 09:33:30 AM

I lived in the batcave. Well, sometimes we would pretend it was the batcave since we had all the windows covered up with a non-translucent grey covering. Native resolutions do suck though. I usually ran my computer at 1024x768, tv at 800x600 and dvds at 480p - because that's the best DVDs offer at the moment. If you really want to get the most out of your money, you should take a look at getting an outboard scaler - or at least see if your tv will even accept one. Getting a DVDO iScan made all the difference in the world in terms of console gaming.

Here's the model I got. Your mileage may vary and it may be best to shell out for the HD edition given your tv.

On the flipside, I didn't give up beer - it was just made sence with the little amount of space in college apartments to get a projector with a short throw range.

Oh and to stay on track and not turn this thread into a "Sky and Schild have bigass tvs thread" - I use a Logitech Mx510. I don't like wireless stuff and I don't like gamepads.

I use one of these:

and one of these:

After thinking about it - I don't like wireless stuff anymore because of the Nintendo Wavebirds. Is it just me or does NO OTHER CONTROLLER ON EARTH respond like a wavebird? I mean did Nintendo really hit the ball that far over the fence?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 11:30:14 AM

One reason I bought the Samsung was the faroudja scaler, it gets pretty high marks. My DVDs are scaled with my 9800pro, and look great, so no big deal there. Getting DD5.1 from my nforce2 mobo to my receiver is a sweet bonus, too. Makes for a very nice home theater pc. One downside is the single DVI port, DVI looks so superior to VGA (which the tv also has an input for), that I'm using component for cable, though my stb has an active dvi connection that looks damned sweet, especially the 720p Monday Night Foo....drool....

Err..yeah, back on topic...That IBM looks exactly like my 1993 Tandy keyboard, that was built like a goddamned bomb shelter. I had used it from 1993 until getting the logitech mx duo this year. Nothing has that great mechanical action like those old warhorses, I really miss it.

I've been lax with my 'cube. I really need to get the wavebird and a component cable for progressive scan, I just don't use it all that much since I played Zelda, though I do have Resident Evil 0 on the deck for when I finish Gothic2/Fable.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 12:15:07 PM

I have the 56" Samsung Tantus RPTV and it was my best purchase evah! Gaming, DVD's and Hi-Def sports - had to buy a new couch to go with it ;)

I use the way overpriced but useful Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse - the little media pad thing is actually pretty useful.

<3 my sammy...

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 12:22:37 PM

One reason I bought the Samsung was the faroudja scaler, it gets pretty high marks.

Yea, the faroudja standalone scalers are the best on the market. Unfortunately they cost about $10,000 (for a decent one). The built in ones are quite nice, unfortunately the ability to tweak them is near nil. The project we used had a scaler built in and I used Dscaler on my htpc, but nothing beat the iScan at the end of the day.

As for the keyboard, yea, it's a tank. IBM Model M's rock. The tactile feedback changes the way I type, once I get into a rhythm there's no stopping my fingers of typing chaos.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 12:53:14 PM

I have to second Schild's experiences that Logitech's wireless PS2 controller is crap.   I've gone through two of them, and they've all had glitches of some kind.   A vital button wouldn't engage right, or the stick signal was screwed up so moving the stick left would cause sharp signals to to the right.   The power system was particularly crappy - apparently rechargable batteries caused it to glitch out and eventually not re-light.

I picked up an alternative brand, a wireless controller made by a company called Hip Gear, and it has worked mostly flawlessly.  Unfortunately, it appears in the design phase they failed to recognize that a PS2 controller needs to differentiate between a button being partly down and all the way down.   The buttons don't even trigger unless I push them all the way down, which is naturally just a tad hard on the reaction time on the controller.

Bah, my kingdom for a PS2 Wireless controller that's any bit as good as the Wavebird is for the Gamecube.

schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 02:06:29 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Bah, my kingdom for a PS2 Wireless controller that's any bit as good as the Wavebird is for the Gamecube.

My kingdom for Nintendo to get off of their motherfucking high horse and make wavebirds for other systems. I hate Nintendo and it's ego. It killed Sega and now it'll kill them.

Hands up for who's buying a DS ($180) over a PSP (~$200). Thought so.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 01:42:00 AM

Nintendo didn't kill Sega.  Sega put themselves in a coma, then Sony and its fanboys came in with the eyepatch and the nurse outfit and the creepy ass whistle song and put a pillow over their head...
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 01:45:48 AM

Quote from: Jain Zar
Nintendo didn't kill Sega.  Sega put themselves in a coma, then Sony and its fanboys came in with the eyepatch and the nurse outfit and the creepy ass whistle song and put a pillow over their head...

I meant Sega killed Sega with it's overinflated ego. Unfortunately my rudimentary grasp on the English language didn't convey that. I still like the Dreamcast more than my Gamecube and PS2 combined.

Oh and before I go; Kill Bill sucked. Balls.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 02:50:37 AM

Hands up for who's buying a DS ($180) over a PSP (~$200). Thought so.

I am, I'm a sucker for Nintendos games. Unless the PSP brings me metroid, zelda and mario it can fuck itself.

Wiiiiii!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 07:11:17 AM

I'm all over that PSP. Sony finally made a playstation that I want to buy. I've already become accustomed to the 16:9 screen ratio, and frankly, the dual screens just looks kinda fruity and wasteful.

Just thinking about GTA running on a handheld that's about on par with the PS2 gets me feeling all tingly. All the 'shortcomings' of the PS2 on a big screen go away on a small screen.

Schild, I know there are better scalers out there, but I have a lot better places to put $1k :) Daddy needs a Les Paul.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 11, 2004, 05:36:14 PM

I just went to the Logitech release PM over here thursday.
Got me a MX1000 and I'd say that so far it's the best mouse I've ever used.

At work I use the Logitech MX Bluetooth desktop with a MX900 and at home I have the DiNovo also with a MX900.
I've never had to replace anything and apart from the Bluetooth communication with my mobile phone being somewhat wonky (and I blame Sony ericsson not Logitech) I have had no problems (and I've been using them for 9 and 6 months respectively)

I also took home the Rumblepad 2, and allthough no expert on gamepads, I'd say that it's a very solid product. I didn't bother with the wireless one, but as you can see, I've been happy with Logitechs wireless stuff before. So go for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 08:17:39 PM

The tactile feedback changes the way I type, once I get into a rhythm there's no stopping my fingers of typing chaos.

So, that's why you spam me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: September 11, 2004, 08:46:13 PM

Quote from: NiX
The tactile feedback changes the way I type, once I get into a rhythm there's no stopping my fingers of typing chaos.

So, that's why you spam me.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #27 on: September 11, 2004, 10:04:24 PM

I'm torn between the PSP and the DS myself.  The PSP is a more feature complete package with a great deal of third party support, but the DS is being developed by a company which has managed to monopolize the hand held gaming field for years.  

The right thing to do is perhaps wait until they're both released for a few months and see which one seems to be faltering.  If they're both going strong, the PSP is likely the better choice.   If the PSP goes the way of the N-Gage, then the DS is where it's at.  

All I need is the willpower not to splurge, something which I have a natural advantage at, considering I'm unemployed and unable to afford either.

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: September 11, 2004, 10:06:22 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
I'm torn between the PSP and the DS myself.  The PSP is a more feature complete package with a great deal of third party support, but the DS is being developed by a company which has managed to monopolize the hand held gaming field for years.

The DS is a gimmick. Much like the Virtual Boy. Remember, Nintendo owned the gaming market completely until the Playstation came along. Then poof, pwned by Sony. Then SUPER pwned by Sony with the PS2. Sony knows what their doing and Nintendo is trying to be forward thinking. Whenever they do that they end up eating every dollar they put into the concept.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: October 05, 2004, 10:25:41 AM

This is the best ps2 controller. Though the analog sticks may rape your thumbs in katamari damacy.

It's the Madcatz retrocon. You can pick it up on sale for $9.99 at Circuit City right now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004, 11:11:56 AM

Eww you put that in my thread. I must now find a mop or rag imo.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 09:35:29 AM

Just to update, the new gamepad is available for purchase now. Woot, something good came out of today, anyway ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: New logitech wireless gamepad  
Jump to: