Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread  (Read 193673 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #770 on: January 02, 2008, 08:02:57 PM

WVU is running all over OU. Wild.

EDIT: And I am officially sick and tired of teams whose band plays their stupid little song AFTER EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PLAY. We don't need to hear the song just because you got a first down. Christ. I'm looking at you Oklahoma, Georgia, Michigan & USC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:06:49 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: January 02, 2008, 08:19:00 PM

79 yard TD pass. Jesus.

And the refs have been screwing West Va. on calls all night.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: January 02, 2008, 08:27:00 PM

Ya, OU apparently forgot how to block without holding.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: January 02, 2008, 08:36:07 PM

Good god. I wish I had taken the over in this game. 48-28 now.

-H.L. Mencken
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: January 02, 2008, 09:07:00 PM

I'm no West Virginia fan but can we stop calling them overrated now?

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #775 on: January 02, 2008, 09:12:07 PM

I think we can start calling Oklahoma a big bag of shit in bowl games. I'll hold off for one more season to annoit WVA as a great program given the stinker Boise put up this year.

EDIT: Yeah I just looked it up to make sure. OU has lost their last 4 straight BCS Bowl games. The only one they've won in the last 5 years was the Holiday Bowl, barely beating Oregon 17-14. They are just pitiful now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:22:52 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: January 03, 2008, 12:15:23 AM

I'd just like to point out that the "who is playing the best football RIGHT NOW!111!?" standard is incredibly dumb.

Agreed totally. 

The talking heads on ESPN radio where saying how USC and UGA are playing 'as good a football as anyone in the country!!', and while I would agree that USC and UGA looked solid against their opponents, it's not like either team (or anyone else for that matter) has been playing week in and week out the last 3-4 weeks, -or- will playing the next couple of weeks.  The season for USC and UGA is -over-.  They aren't playing any more football, and neither HAVE played any football since December 1, 2007 and November 24, 2007 respectively.

That catchphrase just needs to DIE.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: January 03, 2008, 06:05:05 AM

I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, that ESPN has given us a lame ass inaccurate catch phrase.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: January 03, 2008, 08:08:08 AM

I think we can start calling Oklahoma a big bag of shit in bowl games. I'll hold off for one more season to annoit WVA as a great program given the stinker Boise put up this year.

EDIT: Yeah I just looked it up to make sure. OU has lost their last 4 straight BCS Bowl games. The only one they've won in the last 5 years was the Holiday Bowl, barely beating Oregon 17-14. They are just pitiful now.

I dunno, even though OU sucks in bowl season that was a mighty impressive ass-whipping. It wasnt a weird scheme giving the Sooners fits either, several of their big plays came off good old-fashioned I-formation runs and play-action passes.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #779 on: January 03, 2008, 08:52:53 AM

West Virginia is great in bowl games currently. I think they feed off the negative press and let it push them to victory. I believe the moment they get positive momentum and can't play the role of underdog, they will fold like a camping chair. I also think that their opponents don't take them seriously yet, and this adds fuel to the fire.

Everybody remembers the victory they had over Georgia, and the one they had this year over OU. Nobody really remembers that last year they just went to the Gator bowl and barely edged out GA Tech, or that they got spanked by FSU in 2004, crushed by Maryland in 2003, and annihilated by Virginia in 2002.

So basically they are on a three game winning streak after a terrible three game asswhomping. If they win the conference next year and complete a full four year cycle of dominance in bowls, then I think they've earned the right to leave the Big East. When they join a real conference, they'll get some major respect.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: January 03, 2008, 06:48:32 PM

What crypt did they defile in order to dig up ZZ Top for the halftime show?

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: January 03, 2008, 07:00:49 PM

Speaking of musical acts...

Whoever sang the Star Spangled Banner tonight for the KU/VT game did a great job.  Along the same lines, Frankie Valli did a completely awesome splendid rendition last night for the WVU/OU game.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: January 03, 2008, 07:02:16 PM

I didn't catch all of it, but it looked like Tits McPhee from American Idol fame.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #783 on: January 03, 2008, 08:18:43 PM

Hi, I'm Virginia Tech. I'm running the ball with supreme efficiency and grinding my opponent down, but I think I'll just totally abandon what's working. Instead, I want to start heaving the ball down the field to the defenders and try to lose this game the best way I can. Because I'm retarded.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:23 PM

Alright, we have a couple of namby pamby bowls ahead of us but I'm going to officially give my "3 chances for me to look stupid" predictions for the title game.

1.   LSU comes out flat. Sure, it's the intarwebs and I'm not in Nawlins but every newsbite I can find on how these two teams are handling the game presents a mirror image from last year. Last year OSU came in to the bowl loose, confident and relaxed (except for some internal team strife), and Florida came with a chip on its shoulder. This year, it's LSU that's coming in confident and relaxed (Les Miles' curfew for the Tigers is 1 AM) and OSU has something to prove. Tressel sent every player a 10 minute DVD with all the talking heads on ESPN and elsewhere giving them no chance, talking down their schedule, etc etc. Look for West Virginia-esque intensity from OSU, if not as spectacular as results.

2.   The game will be higher scoring than most people think. Both teams were dinged up a bit offensively and are now at full strength. Tressel's offenses are usually much more varied for the bowls, though nothing worked last year. LSU is also aware of the Buckeyes' vulnerabilities up the middle and will exploit it.

3.   It's a close game and Les Miles blows it. I think LSU has a talent edge on Ohio State but the Buckeyes are hungrier and more motivated. The game is extremely close and between taking The Vest or The Hat for all the marbles late in the game I go with Tressel. Miles has had some whacked out plays work this year and I think he goes to the well once too often and Tressel's conservative approach works for once.

Prediction: Ohio State 33 LSU 28 

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: January 04, 2008, 12:44:38 PM

Alright, we have a couple of namby pamby bowls ahead of us but I'm going to officially give my "3 chances for me to look stupid" predictions for the title game.

1.   LSU comes out flat. Sure, it's the intarwebs and I'm not in Nawlins but every newsbite I can find on how these two teams are handling the game presents a mirror image from last year. Last year OSU came in to the bowl loose, confident and relaxed (except for some internal team strife), and Florida came with a chip on its shoulder. This year, it's LSU that's coming in confident and relaxed (Les Miles' curfew for the Tigers is 1 AM) and OSU has something to prove. Tressel sent every player a 10 minute DVD with all the talking heads on ESPN and elsewhere giving them no chance, talking down their schedule, etc etc. Look for West Virginia-esque intensity from OSU, if not as spectacular as results.

2.   The game will be higher scoring than most people think. Both teams were dinged up a bit offensively and are now at full strength. Tressel's offenses are usually much more varied for the bowls, though nothing worked last year. LSU is also aware of the Buckeyes' vulnerabilities up the middle and will exploit it.

3.   It's a close game and Les Miles blows it. I think LSU has a talent edge on Ohio State but the Buckeyes are hungrier and more motivated. The game is extremely close and between taking The Vest or The Hat for all the marbles late in the game I go with Tressel. Miles has had some whacked out plays work this year and I think he goes to the well once too often and Tressel's conservative approach works for once.

I pretty much agree with this but would put the score closer to 24-21 OSU.

-H.L. Mencken
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: January 04, 2008, 02:46:34 PM

going to one of those mamby pamby bowls. . .

but I got free tickets.

don't really want to though, as I will wind up missing my weekly game at the park yet again for this.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: January 04, 2008, 02:52:39 PM

I pretty much agree with this but would put the score closer to 24-21 OSU.

Who are you and what have you done with Abagadro?  Grin

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #788 on: January 04, 2008, 04:12:08 PM

I agree with 2 and 3 on your list. I think Miles is secretly retarded. He's done so many stupid things this year in games, and almost none of them have bit him in the ass like they should have. He's terrible with clock management as well. Also, I expect mucho scoring early in the game.

I disagree with 1. I don't think either team will come out flat. I think they will feel each other out for about 6 minutes, and then the fireworks will start. I think if the game is remotely close in the second half, or if LSU has to hold a tight lead, they are screwed. If they have to play comeback or have a huge lead, then the game is theirs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:13:41 PM by Paelos »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #789 on: January 04, 2008, 04:56:05 PM

Oh and btw, the ACC is now officially the worst conference in college football in my book. A 2-6 record including your champion getting beaten by Kansas? They officially deserve to be kicked straight in the nuts for that kind of thing. The Wake Forest win was the only convincing one in the bunch. Sad, just freaking sad.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: January 04, 2008, 05:00:10 PM

Wake, at times this year, looked pretty damn good. I think they should get more credit.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: January 04, 2008, 05:04:04 PM

Who are you and what have you done with Abagadro?

Unlike some people around here, I call em like I see em.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I think this game sets up perfectly as a "vindication" game for OSU and they will be highly motivated. Dorsey still isn't 100% and I suspect Flynn will be rusty.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #792 on: January 04, 2008, 05:19:57 PM

Who are you and what have you done with Abagadro?

Unlike some people around here, I call em like I see em.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I think this game sets up perfectly as a "vindication" game for OSU and they will be highly motivated. Dorsey still isn't 100% and I suspect Flynn will be rusty.

I think even SEC fans and LSU recognize that. I'm not considering this game to be a slaughter or runaway. I think people are assuming that LSU is underestimating the team.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:47 AM

Prediction:

A healthy LSU, which hasn't really been seen since that 48-7 annihilation of Virginia Tech, is finally back.  Glenn Dorsey annihilates Boeckman, who will look even worse than Troy Smith because Boeckman is your typical barely mobile pocket passer.

OSU defense holds up pretty well and Flynn throws one or two retarded picks, but it isn't enough as there is no OSU offense at all.  Final score: LSU 21, OSU 6 (maybe 13, with a garbage time touchdown in the final two minutes). 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: January 07, 2008, 12:23:42 PM

Prediction:

A healthy LSU, which hasn't really been seen since that 48-7 annihilation of Virginia Tech, is finally back.  Glenn Dorsey annihilates Boeckman, who will look even worse than Troy Smith because Boeckman is your typical barely mobile pocket passer.

OSU defense holds up pretty well and Flynn throws one or two retarded picks, but it isn't enough as there is no OSU offense at all.  Final score: LSU 21, OSU 6 (maybe 13, with a garbage time touchdown in the final two minutes). 

LSU has been susceptible to the run, I think Beanie gets some yards. When OSU gets close though they have to convert. TD's, not field goals.

On a personal note my boss who has been cool with giving me time off all last year denied my request to go home early. I miss probably the entire first quarter, yay me.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: January 07, 2008, 03:10:20 PM

I don't expect LSU to win tonight.  Not because OSU is better (they're not), but because of some of the turnover on Mile's staff, most notably the defensive coordinator getting the job at Nebraska or wherever he went.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: January 07, 2008, 03:21:42 PM

LSU: 44-20

this guy looks legit

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: January 07, 2008, 03:36:53 PM

I don't expect LSU to win tonight.  Not because OSU is better (they're not), but because of some of the turnover on Mile's staff, most notably the defensive coordinator getting the job at Nebraska or wherever he went.

You SEC fans amaze me.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: January 07, 2008, 03:53:37 PM

I expect LSU to win tonight.  Not because I think they are an amazing team wholly deserving of a National Championship but because OSU is one of the most perennially overrated teams there is and this year is no different.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: January 07, 2008, 04:18:22 PM

You SEC fans amaze me.

You really think OSU wouldn't be bothered by losing their DC?  Or OC?  Especially with the game coming up? 

And OSU is not a better team than LSU.  Pound for pound, LSU is heads and tails above them.  But losing their DC is going to hurt.

Other than the fact that LSU is an SEC team, I don't have a horse in this race.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:19:56 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: January 07, 2008, 04:38:38 PM

Pelini is still there tonight, he has both LSU and Nebraska's permission to be DC this game.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: January 07, 2008, 04:43:43 PM

You SEC fans amaze me.

You really think OSU wouldn't be bothered by losing their DC?  Or OC?  Especially with the game coming up? 

And OSU is not a better team than LSU.  Pound for pound, LSU is heads and tails above them.  But losing their DC is going to hurt.

Other than the fact that LSU is an SEC team, I don't have a horse in this race.

I'd agree with you but Pelini is coaching the game, he's not leaving till after. :P

Triforcer beat me to it. 

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: January 07, 2008, 04:54:53 PM

Well.  Fuck.

I looked but couldn't find anything that said one way or another.

OK.  That being said. 

OSU is going to get smoked.

45 - 20.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: January 07, 2008, 05:19:46 PM

BEANIE!!!!!!!!!!

And he wasn't injured celebrating, so we're already ahead of the game  awesome, for real

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: January 07, 2008, 05:20:57 PM

BEANIE!!!!!!!!!!

And he wasn't injured celebrating, so we're already ahead of the game  awesome, for real

This is the same exact thing that happened last year. I missed the first 20 minutes of the game and Ginn runs back a TD. I watch the game and OSU plays like shit. I think I'll stay at work  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread  
Jump to: