Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:02:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Let's Talk Spicy 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk Spicy  (Read 16196 times)
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

on: August 02, 2007, 09:11:50 AM

The world has a new hottest chili peppe (the 'Ghost Chili')r, it's about twice as hot as a habanero:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058096/

If you think you’ve had a hotter chili pepper, you’re wrong.

The smallest morsels can flavor a sauce so intensely it’s barely edible. Eating a raw sliver causes watering eyes and a runny nose. An entire chili is an all-out assault on the senses, akin to swigging a cocktail of battery acid and glass shards.

But I'm sure you've had hotter.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:21:06 AM

Dear god, why?

Just put a taser in your mouth.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:23:05 AM

My band used to play that 'I can eat a hotter pepper' game. Fuck that shit. I built up a great tolerance for heat, but really, I prefer flavor. Franks Red Hot > Tabasco's almost flavorless heat.

I think the people who bred this pepper are terrorists!
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:18:30 AM

it has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units

Holy shit. I want to try a tiny bite.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:32:35 AM

Me want.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:35:00 AM

This needs to go in some meaty chili, stat.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:39:16 AM

Of course, I guess I could just use twice the habaneros.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 11:01:22 AM

it has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units

Holy shit. I want to try a tiny bite.

Same.

I got to try some habanero hot sauce.  And by try, I mean I dipped about 1/8" of a toothpick into the stuff and it about lit my mouth on literal fire.  It felt like melting flesh.  Quick chili high.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 12:04:08 PM

I think I know what's going in next years chili for the work cookoff...

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:35:04 PM

I've never understood the fascination with hot food. To me it's some kind of chest beating bullshit to prove manliness or some shit. With this new one, you might as well just literally light your mouth on fire. It'll "taste" just as good.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 01:54:39 PM

The interesting thing is that when you eat something so hot that you cannot see straight, it's like looking into the eyesockets of God as your head floats free of your shoulders.  Even better, half an hour later and you're unharmed.  For me it's not at all about proving anything, since I am already totally awesome, but about the simple experience of the pain.  It also makes your mouth totally sensitive and everything has a stronger taste.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:55:26 PM

I've never understood the fascination with hot food. To me it's some kind of chest beating bullshit to prove manliness or some shit. With this new one, you might as well just literally light your mouth on fire. It'll "taste" just as good.

Sort of, but it's more curiosity for me than anything. I mean, anyone could tell you the stove was hot when you were a kid, but some of us just had to touch it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:29:00 PM

For anyone who didn't read the article:

The farmer, a quiet man with an easy smile, has spent a lifetime eating a chili pepper with a strange name and a vicious bite. His mother stirred them into sauces. His wife puts them out for dinner raw, blood-red morsels of pain to be nibbled — carefully, very carefully — with whatever she’s serving.

And even better:

“It is so hot you can’t even imagine,” said the farmer, Digonta Saikia, working in his fields in the midday sun, his face nearly invisible behind an enormous straw hat. “When you eat it, it’s like dying.”

Outsiders, he insisted, shouldn’t even try it. “If you eat one,” he told a visitor, “you will not be able to leave this place.”

And this is coming from the guy who's been eating them his whole life.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 02:31:33 PM

Do want.

I've never considered spicy food something bragable. It's just something I like. Too much is pointless, though - I ate a fresh, raw habenero once. I thought it tasted like a bar of soap. Since then I've only bothered with nose-running-but-flavorful West Indian sauces. And Chipotle. I've always loved smoked food.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:57:38 PM

“If you eat one,” he told a visitor, “you will not be able to leave this place.”

Totally awesome.

I don't like chipotle.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 03:19:30 PM

It causes an endorphin release because your brain interprets the sensation as pain. I get a bit buzzed from spicy food. Yucateca Habanero Sauce is napalm hot but also has amazing flavor that burns its way down your esophagus.  In love Since peppers are fruits, they do have unique flavor all their own, you just have to smell them before you pop them in your mouth.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:25:42 PM

I've had hot enough. My mom grows Thai chili peppers.. Everything except the hottest of the hottest peppers beats them. I can eat just about anything most people whine about.

I even used to get tortured with that stuff. My mom used to dry them out, and sometimes.... When I'd be chilling, watching TV, or even sleeping, my brother would just break and rub one of those dried peppers all over my face. I've pretty much disowned that guy for that kind of shit.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 03:26:24 PM

Why can't you leave? Because you don't want to because the peppers are so awesome? Because you die? Does some evil force prevent you from leaving?

Is this in any way related to Persephone eating the half pomegranite and having to live in Hades half the year?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 03:48:00 PM

Who are you even talking to, MArgalis.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 04:19:47 PM

The interesting thing is that when you eat something so hot that you cannot see straight, it's like looking into the eyesockets of God as your head floats free of your shoulders.  Even better, half an hour later and you're unharmed.  For me it's not at all about proving anything, since I am already totally awesome, but about the simple experience of the pain.  It also makes your mouth totally sensitive and everything has a stronger taste.

Yes.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 04:30:40 PM

I find that it can burn out my palate and mask the flavors of foods, unlike MSG which scrapes the taste buds nicely, opening them up for taste sensations!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 04:39:43 PM

Spicy foods tend to clear my nose and cleanse my palate and invite the awesome. I fucking love spicy foods. I need to find a Burmese joint in Phoenix.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 04:53:57 PM

This needs to go in some meaty chili, stat.
You mean curry, right? A nice plate of mutton phal or something.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 04:57:42 PM

Even better, half an hour later and you're unharmed.

And then a few hours later, the pain begins anew, yet on the opposite side of the body.

That said, spicy food is teh roxxor.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 05:00:49 PM

Spicy foods tend to clear my nose and cleanse my palate and invite the awesome. I fucking love spicy foods. I need to find a Burmese joint in Phoenix.

Burmese? Good luck!

As far as Mexican food goes though, a lot of Arizona stuff is great methinks.

That's probably blasphemy coming from a Texan, but what the hell. I'd rank it NM/AZ >Tex-Mex > Cali. Recipe and spiciness wise.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 05:29:46 PM

Did you get tired of the cutting scars? :(
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 05:30:54 PM

I work with a Burmese couple. They make sushi where I work and when they feed me, I fix their computers for free. I'd be happy to get some recipes for you, if you like.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 05:33:54 PM

Burmese? Good luck!

As far as Mexican food goes though, a lot of Arizona stuff is great methinks.

That's probably blasphemy coming from a Texan, but what the hell. I'd rank it NM/AZ >Tex-Mex > Cali. Recipe and spiciness wise.

Oh, AZ is amazing for mexican. AMAZING.

Yea, finding burmese shit will be hard.

I'd be happy to get some recipes for you, if you like.

Yes, awesome, spicy stuff plz.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 05:41:56 PM

I'll ask them tomorrow. I know they have a really good recipe for fish head soup using snapper. It's amazing.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:15 PM

It's not the hottest, but so good.

/not my hand
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 06:57:41 PM

Yup, it's the preferred hot sauce for making spicy tuna rolls, at least around here.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 07:15:44 PM

Picture

Same. They also have a sweet chili sauce too which is excellent on salads. It retails for about $4.50 USD at my local Asian market. I also think they have one with garlic in it too.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 07:15:58 PM

That stuff is teh awesome.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 07:26:02 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 07:40:22 PM

Bring on the insanity pepper!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Let's Talk Spicy  
Jump to: