Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: 10th Edition - Release 6th Aug, Events 10th Aug 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10th Edition - Release 6th Aug, Events 10th Aug  (Read 11909 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: August 01, 2007, 11:44:59 AM

Quote from: The man on the moon
On Monday, August 6th at 9:00 am PST, Tenth Edition goes on sale in the Magic Online store.

NOTE: Tenth Edition becomes legal in ALL Constructed formats the day it goes on sale (August 6). All casual rooms and constructed queues will use Tenth Edition starting on August 6. Constructed Premier events will not run until as early as August 17 and will use Tenth Edition starting on that date.

Tenth Edition Release events begin Friday, August 10 and will have 4 components:

Release Leagues
Premier Event Flights (2x and 4x Prizes)
Draft Queues
Release Championships (2x and 4x)
Tenth Edition Release Leagues

SIGNUP: August 10, 9:00am – August 20, 9:00pm (the final 1 week, 2x league will start no later than 9:00pm on August 20). Release Leagues will have a maximum of 256 players each and will auto-spawn (as soon as a league reaches 256 players, another will begin registration).

LEAGUE DURATION: 1 week

PRODUCT: 5 Tenth Edition Booster Packs. (Note: Only Tenth Edition leagues will start for the duration of the Tenth Edition Release Events.)

ADMISSION: 2 Tix, Product

PRIZE SUPPORT: 2x prizes, Participation Avatar: Arcanis, the Omnipotent; Records of 5-0 get Prize Avatar: Squee, Goblin Nabob.

Avatars will be distributed Approx. 3 weeks after the last league concludes

NOTE: The regularly schedule downtime will still take place on Wednesday, August 15 at 8:00 am PST. Plan your league games accordingly as no compensation will be issued if you lose a game due to the servers going down for maintenance.
Tenth Edition Draft Queues

QUEUES BEGIN: Tuesday, August 14, 10:00 am.

FORMATS: Booster Draft

PRODUCT: 3 Tenth Edition Boosters(Note: Only Time Spiral Blockand Tenth Edition drafts will run for the duration of the Tenth Edition Release Events)

ADMISSION: 2 Tix, Product

PRIZE SUPPORT: 4-3-2-2 and 8-4

NOTE: The regularly schedule downtime will still take place on Wednesday, August 15 at 8:00 am PST. Queues will be down during the downtime.
Tenth Edition Premier Events (2x Flights)

DURATION: August 10, 2:00 pm – August 20 9:00 pm (last starts at 9:00 pm). 2x Flights will have 32 players per flight and will start every ½ hour. Each flight will have a minimum of 24 players, maximum of 32 players.

PRODUCT: 5 Tenth Edition Booster Packs, top 8 booster draft. The booster draft format will be 3 Tenth Edition Boosters.

ADMISSION: 2 Tix, Product (Events that start between the hours of 10 pm and 8 am will be "Nix Tix events and require 0 event tickets)

PRIZE SUPPORT: 2x Prizes, Top 8

Place    Boosters
1    24
2    18
3-4    12
5-8    4

All who participate in a 2x Prize Premier Event Flight will get the Arcanis, the Omnipotent avatar. Top 8 will get a Squee, Goblin Nabob avatar. In addition, the 1st place finisher will qualify for the Tenth Edition Release Event 2x Championship

NOTE: All 2x events held from August 10 through August 14 will qualify for the Tenth Edition Release Event 2x Championship on Saturday, August 25 @ 8:00 am PST.

All 2x events held from August 15 through August 20 will qualify for the Tenth Edition Release Event 2x Championship on Sunday, August 26 @ 8:00 am PST.

NOTE: The regularly schedule downtime will still take place on Wednesday, August 15 at 8:00 am PST. There will be no Premier Events starting from 10:00 pm on August 14 through 10:00 am on August 15.
Tenth Edition Premier Events (4x Flights)

DURATION: August 10, 3:00 pm – August 20, 9:00 pm (last starts at 9:00 pm). 4x Flights start every 3 hours. Each flight will have a minimum of 24 players, maximum of 128 players.

PRODUCT: 5 Tenth Edition Booster Packs, top 8 booster draft. The booster draft format will be 3 Tenth Edition Boosters.

ADMISSION: 4 Tix, Product (Events that start between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am will require 2 event tickets)

PRIZE SUPPORT: 4x Prizes, Manual Pay to Top 16 (Prizes for 9-16 place will be paid out within 72 hours of event completion)

Place    Boosters
1    48
2    36
3-4    24
5-8    12
9-16    6

All who participate in a 4x Prize Premier Event Flight will get the Arcanis, the Omnipotent avatar. Top 8 will get a Squee, Goblin Nabob avatar. In addition, the Top 8 finishers will qualify for the Tenth Release Event 4x Championship

NOTE: All 4x events held from August 10 through August 14 will qualify for the Tenth Edition Release Event 4x Championship on Saturday, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PST.

All 4x events held from August 15 through August 20 will qualify for the Tenth Edition Release Event 4x Championship on Sunday, August 26 @ 1:00 pm PST.

NOTE: The regularly schedule downtime will still take place on Wednesday, August 15 at 8:00 am PST. There will be no Premier Events starting from 10:00 pm on August 14 through 10:00 am on August 15.
Tenth Edition Release Event 2x Championship

START TIME: August 25, 8:00 am PST and August 26, 8:00 am PST

ADMISSION: FREE – (No Tix, No Product, Invitation only)

PRIZE SUPPORT: 6x, Manual pay to Top 64

Place    Boosters
1    72
2    54
3-4    36
5-8    18
9-16    12
17-32    6
33-64    3

The winner of the Championship will also receive a complete set of Magic Online Premium Tenth Edition cards.

Second place will receive a complete set of regular Magic Online Tenth Edition cards.

Although players may have multiple accounts qualified for the Championship event, players not permitted to have more than 1 of their accounts entered in the event. Players are not permitted to have secondary accounts played by another person. If a player is discovered to have more than 1 account playing in the Championship either before, during, or after the event, appropriate penalties will be applied (including disqualification from the event with no refund of product or event tickets).
Tenth Edition Release Event 4x Championship

START TIME: August 25, 1:00 pm PST and August 26, 1:00 pm PST

ADMISSION: FREE – (No Tix, No Product, Invitation only)

PRIZE SUPPORT: 6x, Manual pay to Top 64

Place    Boosters
1    72
2    54
3-4    36
5-8    18
9-16    12
17-32    6
33-64    3

The winner of the Championship will also receive a complete set of Magic Online Premium Tenth Edition cards.

Second place will receive a complete set of regular Magic Online Tenth Edition cards.

Although players may have multiple accounts qualified for the Championship event, players not permitted to have more than 1 of their accounts entered in the event. Players are not permitted to have secondary accounts played by another person. If a player is discovered to have more than 1 account playing in the Championship either before, during, or after the event, appropriate penalties will be applied (including disqualification from the event with no refund of product or event tickets).

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:07:22 PM

10th drafting is live now.

So far,  feels alright.  Lots of basic bread and butter mechanics,  with the color pie back to where it should be after TSP.  Been drafting U/W/B,  for some removal and stall effects (terror, pacifism, tap effects) and evasive small critters.  Lots of decent fliers in U and W.

Red and Green seem to be pretty heavily drafted.

You'll notice the distinct lack of truely shitty creatures.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:33:59 PM

Yup,  I'm definitely liking 10th draft.  Much, much better than 9th.

The mechanics feel much more like "classic" draft mechanics:  draft some critters along the mana curve (preferable with evasion), splash/go into the appropriate color for some removal, win.  Creature abilities supplement the strategy rather then invalidate it.

TSP draft was alright,  but the whole thing was a bit off because of the way they redefined the color pie for the set,  and the sheer number of potentially powerful cards running around.

My favorite draft deck so far has been a UWb deck.  Walls to block,  fliers and land walkers to sneak through damage, a little blue utility in card drawing and alternate removal (puppeteer and dehydration), Beacon of Immortality and Starlight Invoker to give me breathing room, and mill as an alternate win condition. 

Had both millstone and Loquatus to mill cards.  Literally milled through half a guys deck with Laquatus in 2 turns.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 12:45:26 PM

Also liking 10th, much more than TSP or 9th.

It feels as if you are much more able to do well by picking according to general Magic principles, rather than having to think about the specific set (which is a change from RAV, TSP or even 9th imo).

Much harder to draft crazy aggro, also removal is more spread around the colors than usual.

Green has done well, it's creatures just slightly better and more consistent than in 9th.

White has benefitted from a big step up in removal.

Red has lost some aggro, but the removal has got better.

Black doesn't seem to know what is for any more.

Blue feels about the same as it ever was.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:59:01 PM

Also liking 10th, much more than TSP or 9th.

It feels as if you are much more able to do well by picking according to general Magic principles, rather than having to think about the specific set (which is a change from RAV, TSP or even 9th imo).

Much harder to draft crazy aggro, also removal is more spread around the colors than usual.

Green has done well, it's creatures just slightly better and more consistent than in 9th.

White has benefitted from a big step up in removal.

Red has lost some aggro, but the removal has got better.

Black doesn't seem to know what is for any more.

Blue feels about the same as it ever was.

Black has quite a bit of good utility.  Some good creature kill spells (terror, assassinate, the "do 3 damage to player or critter, gain 3 life spell"), some good utility critters (phyrexian rager is a decent draft... blocker that cantrips), some good cantripers (recover is great,  even afflict isn't bad),  and some decent all around creatures.

Red isn't that deep,  and I find that it dries up pretty quickly.

Some great walls in this set that are decent late drafts.  Angelic Wall (0/4 flier), Wall of Air (1/5 flier) and Wall of Swords (3/5 flier), can all ruin an aggro players day.

Really miss master decoy.  I did have a deck with 3 x Heart of Light, 2 x pacify, 2 x dehydration the other day....  ahh sweet.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 04:59:54 AM

Is blue back to the, I have big creatures and I get to say what you can and can't play against me?

I miss blue control.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:09:33 PM

The only problem I find with Red is that every bugger is drafting it.

Rock badger or whatever it's called - the 3/3 with mountainwalk - has been an MVP for me countless times.

Grab a badger and a couple of burn spells for a splash in games 2/3 against anyone playing red (probably more than half the table)

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:00:18 PM

Is blue back to the, I have big creatures and I get to say what you can and can't play against me?

I miss blue control.

Blue permission (in Constructed) is much, much, much weaker.  Hard counters are at 3 CC (only 1 hard counter at that CC) and 4 CC,  some very conditional counters at 1 or 2 CC.

Wizards took the nerf bat to permission and land destruction strategies.

Though there is a U/B deck kicking around.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:02:31 PM

The only problem I find with Red is that every bugger is drafting it.

Rock badger or whatever it's called - the 3/3 with mountainwalk - has been an MVP for me countless times.

Grab a badger and a couple of burn spells for a splash in games 2/3 against anyone playing red (probably more than half the table)

I draft heavy U and W,  then splash either red or black.

Landwalkers, overall, aren't too bad.  One draft I had Bog Wraith (swampwalking), 2 x Merfolk Commando (island walking), and an unblockable blue guy.  Nothing like a guy blowing removal on chumps.

Recover is awesome.  Generally still kicking around late,  and it cantrips to return a critter to your hand. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 11:10:14 AM

Recover is awesome.  Generally still kicking around late,  and it cantrips to return a critter to your hand. 

Recover would be much more awesome if it wasn't black. Because recovering Mass of Ghouls never really feels like you're getting full value.

I realised one more reason I  Heart 10th last night; far fewer cards with stupid nCCCCC casting costs then we've been used to in TSP block. Judging from the number of stupid over-engineered fan-boy friendly shite cards with unplayable costs in Time Spiral, I can only assume the TSP block designers were picked on by draft players as kids.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 12:41:40 PM

You guys are really tempting me to get back into drafting  tongue I hated the feel of Time Spiral but you're making this sound more like the formats I liked/kicked ass at.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 01:34:16 PM

There is some hot art in tenth.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 10:05:24 AM

You guys are really tempting me to get back into drafting  tongue I hated the feel of Time Spiral but you're making this sound more like the formats I liked/kicked ass at.

Nix tix weekend right now - so there are worse times to start with a set.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:32:05 PM

Nix tix, you say?   smiley

First draft goes badly.  WU.dec dies when the blue gets cut entirely after the first pack, and becomes a W/G.dec, with two craw wurms (with treetop bracers and serra's embrace) being my planned finishers  Sad Panda 

My dignity is spared when I get a game-crashing bug that occurs when the actual games start and a few seconds after I try to log back in... and when I try to verify the game files on startup.  Bah.  I reinstall, everything *seems* to be working ok, will probably try to draft again later tonight.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 07:11:54 PM

Loquatous just turned a complete jank deck into a draft winner.  Hahaha.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 06:59:41 PM

Loquatos has bomb stamped all over him, especially since blue has a good number of stall cards.  Late game,  you can play Loq and pretty easily mill 6 cards even if your opponent has removal in hand.

Overall, 10th feels slower.  I've noticed most games pretty easily making it to the late teens round wise.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 03:08:25 AM

What the hell are you two talking about ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 03:13:09 AM

LAQUATUS

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 06:04:39 AM

Your mother.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 09:33:34 PM

LAQUATUS

"He smiles with poisoned lips."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 07:02:10 PM

Heh.

Interesting draft situation:

Start in blue/black,  maybe splash red:  Incinerate, Royal Assassin, Sift, Merfolk looter.  Picked up some random good green cards.

Pack 2 throws 3 x Loxodon Mystic (3/3 tapper guy) and Cho-Manno (protection from damage) at me.  Some more decent green, and Earth Elemental.

Pack 3 throws Shivan Hellkite, Ballistae Squad, some more decent white and green at me, touch more burn.

I think all my colors are playable.

Ran through my round 1 opponent, and now waiting on round 2.  It didn't matter how much removal he had, because I had a ton more good creatures.  Terror my Rootwalla? Big deal, throw down a Loxodon.  Nekrataal that?  Throw down Cho-Manno.  No answers?  Ballistae Squad,  now you can't block.

Edit:

Awesome.  Round 2 the shuffler sent me packing.  That's what I get for gloating.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:01:31 PM by Johny Cee »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 02:06:03 PM

Well,  drafted TSP for the first time in a while.  Utter disgrace.

MMM is awful.

10th is still fun,  and still treats me well.  Crawled out of the sub-1600 basement,  and with any luck should hit high 1600s before Lorwyn shows up to trash my rating again.  Sitting on a nice pile of painlands from draft,  and almost have 2 sets of WoG now.

Getting ramped up for Lorwyn!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: 10th Edition - Release 6th Aug, Events 10th Aug  
Jump to: