Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Achievements 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 12021 times)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

on: August 01, 2007, 09:03:24 AM

So, I come back to EQ2 after not having played since some time in 2005.

I'm on the Guk server, had 5 characters:
31 Ogre SK, Freeport
26 Rat Warlock, Qeynos (betrayed)
23 Gnome Illusionist, Qeynos
15 Dwarf Predator, Qeynos
10 Human Summoner, Qeynos.

I logged in and noticed a few things last night.
a) they changed the spells on my Warlock around quite a bit.  Took me awhile to find them all, recall/figure out what they all did.
b) Apparently tho they re-did the 1-20 thing, you can still be stuck in an intermediate class... does all that stuff still work right?  I haven't logged either one in yet, but should I just delete them and re-start?  Maybe save off 'good' stuff into saved bank slots?

and to get the the thread title,
c) Achievements.  I looked at the stuff available on the eqplayers website; looks pretty cool.  However, it looks like the 'exp' for earning AA points comes from only certain tasks... exploration, quests, killing named things, etc.  How gimped is a level 25-30 character with no AAs?  Does it make any sense to start over?  I'm not worried about max level or anything, like Sky I mostly solo, the guild of my only guilded character has been dead for 6+ months.  But exp seems to come in pretty fast, and the Achievements look cool.  Is it worth it to re-roll?  How many points would a soloer tend to get between 10 and 25ish?

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:57:25 AM

Hmmm good question.  Depends are your starting area etc., but I can remember having 18 AA's by level 20 when I started my troub in Keth.  Re-rolls probably not worth it, if your serious about catching up AA's you can turn your combat XP off and do everything at least green to you.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

1) Warlock - wizard with more group damage.  Super agro magnet.
2) When you log in the first time  it should change to your final class.
3) Not a big deal, I typical don't start assigning my aa points until my thirties when I have a better idea of where I am doing with it. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:45:03 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:34 AM

When the first introduced AAs, they reset all of the exploration triggers, so you can run around Antonica/Commonlands/TS/Nek/Stormhold, etc, and that will get you off to a good start.  If you have KoS, take the clouds to all of the islands in Tenebrous Tangle (the gate from Ant/CL) and Barren Sky (the gate from TS/Nek) will give a lot of AA at that level.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:05:42 AM

...and don't ignore completed collections for AAxp!
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:30:51 AM

Yup.  Mentor down to the appropriate level before handing any quests in for even more.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:45:33 AM

You will hear of people locking adventure experience and only getting AA's. That is really only for PvP servers though. AA's are really cool though as you can dial your character in to your playstyle very nicely. Just quest and don't worry. If you have a character slot though do make an alt and start in Neriak. It could well be the best newbie zone ever. You can get to 20 in a short time there. I hate Kelethin but dearly love Darklight woods.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 11:54:54 AM

Not if what you like doing is experiencing the game's content while it is still level appropriate.  Level locking is the only way to do that in the 20-45 range on a single character.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 12:04:55 PM

I routinely level-locked on PvE.  I am a quest junkie, so I would turn it off to maximize AA's as well as eating through content.  You will still level due to quest XP, exploration XP, and collection XP - which you can't turn off unfortunately.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 12:52:02 PM

Your Qeynos based Predator and Summoner will transform into a Ranger and Conjurer, respectively, when you log them in.  No worries there.

The AA and being in the 20's isn't an issue IMO.  This go around my Assassin was 22 with 0 AA and is now 54 with around 70 AA.  The AA comes along just fine by hitting up dungeons and doing quests and moving through new areas.

I'm not so worried about hitting ALL the level appropriate content on my way up, I figure that's what alts are for.  In fact, there is so much 20-60 content right now that trying to hit all of it will really slow your progression down to what, I would consider, frustration levels.  My Assassin did pretty much all the content in Nektulous and Zek and is now working on Lesser Faydark (and a few instance dungeons in Steamfont).  Another character can have a totally new experience for me by doing Thundering Steppes, Enchanted Lands, Feerot and then Sinking Sands while yet another could do BB, Steamfont and say Tenebrous Tangle.

I think my advancement path is more of a natural progression for a character, the zones really are set up so that you work your way through one and progress to one a step more difficult.  Turning of adventure exp and then hitting ALL the lvl 20 content with each character just seems like a sure fire way to artificially increase your frustration levels.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 01:22:00 PM

I've been playing for a week now, started about 30% into 31 and right now I'm about 70% into 33, with adventure experience turned off. Exploring Neriak/Darklight and moving over to Zek for adventuring bumped me up pretty good. I didn't care for EL much, luckily my city writ giver is sending me to Zek.

Actually, I think EQ2 is best experienced (heh) with combat experience turned off. What's up with that? :) Not a complaint by a long shot, I find it cool and refreshing. I actually cursed when I dinged 33, though I had cleaned up most of my lower end quests by that time, and decided I could skip a few in TS.
The AA comes along just fine by hitting up dungeons and doing quests and moving through new areas.
I've been meaning to look into which dungeons would be good to bottom feed (solo) in. They make them so damned tough for soloers (imo), because our gear is also pretty well beneath that of regular groupers. Most of the time I just ignore ^^^s even if I could take them (very green, I took out a griffon last night just to see), because it's just a hassle to fight them.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 01:26:41 PM

at 33 you might give fallen gate a try. Stormhold should be doable but I would think it would start out grey.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:49:59 PM

Starting out grey isn't a bad thing. I mean, most of the juicy mobs would still be out of my range, right? The SK is not too bad, but respawn can be a bitch, and when they start linking ^^ or even a few too many ^ it's a bit much for me. Hell, I'm just getting some of my lvl 20 AQ gear upgraded finally, and I couldn't finish that because they drop in grouped ^^/^^^ mobs at the end.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:34 PM

If you can move up to Mastercrafted gear (Black Iron, Steel, FeySteel, Ebon, Cobalt, etc...) then you will have better equipment than the vast majority of even the hardest to get rare drops for your level.   The AQ stuff is slightly better than Steel but you can't really be fully kitted out in AQ until your close to 30 while you can be fully kitted out in Steel at 22.  8 levels of better armor is a pretty big consideration, IMO.

Having a full suit (and weapons if you can swing it) of the rare harvest at 22, 32, 42, 52 and etc.. makes life pretty damn easy.

There is some rare crafted set stuff at 37 (Blood Ore stuff from Deathfist Citadel in Zek) which is better, in some ways, than Ebon at 42 but it would be almost impossible to get enough of the drops for it solo until you were in your mid 40's anyway.

The mastercrafted stuff really is only half a step below raid gear and is well worth the time and expense to get it as it is better than almost all Treasured drops and the vast majority of the quested stuff.  The stuff that drops off equivalently leveled Epic mobs is better, no doubt about it, but good luck getting any of that.

Also, weapon wise, the Heritage Quest stuff is better than the mastercrafted most of the time so if you can do those, go for it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 06:37:59 AM

Yeah, but that's a LOT of harvesting. The last couple nights have been beneficial with rare harvests, but still not enough to give me a suit of armor. And it kinda sucks that soloers have to get their good gear by harvesting, which is boring as hell, while groupers get to have fun in dungeons.

But enough of that gripe, it's old. My biggest problem with EQ2, though, which is otherwise an excellent game.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 07:54:25 AM

Yeah, but that's a LOT of harvesting. The last couple nights have been beneficial with rare harvests, but still not enough to give me a suit of armor. And it kinda sucks that soloers have to get their good gear by harvesting, which is boring as hell, while groupers get to have fun in dungeons.
You whine about this a lot but you don't even have a character into the mid-30's yet.  I don't get it.  Almost no one groups until the 30's, RoV is the first dungeon that is anywhere near worth grouping for and that isn't even really an option until your character is into it's late 20's early 30's.  Stormhold?  Not worth it until you can do the advanced stuff (BBC and etc..) and that isn't until 40sih.  The gnoll dungeon in Antoica?  Nothing worthwhile in there.  The city sewer areas?  I doubt if there is one worthwhile drop in either Qeynos or Freeport.  Most of the below 30 dungeons are initial release areas, not surprisingly the itemization in them is less than stellar.  Crushbone, released with the  latest expansion is probably good but I've never been there.

The only Master drop metal chests I'd seen until mid 40's were from killing random mobs while soloing.

That harvested carbonite and feyiron you have?  It's sells pretty well on the broker, 15-20 silver is about 7-10 gp a stack and rares at that level are only 15 gp or so if you catch a deal on the broker.  I didn't group my Assassin until the mid 30's when I finally bit the bullet and started (because I wanted to experience the content, not because I had too) but before that I had enough money by just sticking everything on the broker (except the 2c stuff) to buy all the rares I needed.

As far as grouping for success goes, I run the groups I'm in.  I figure out what I want to do and then advertise for players.  If someone's a dumbass I correct them in group chat and if that doesn't work I kick them.  I've kicked the tank out of my group in the middle of Deathfist because he was a tard.  We had a new tank in about 5 minutes and finished the instance with no problems.  You don't want to group?  Fine, don't.  It's plenty easy to advance in EQ2 and get top quality gear with out grouping but blaming the game for making grouping more fun than soloing?  Get a grip, using team work to tackle challenges too difficult to do alone IS fun and THAT's the reason the game is built around it.

But if you make the game so hard for yourself that it's no fun (turning of adv exp, refusing to group, not using the broker to your profit, etc...) then don't be surprised when it's no fun.

edit: Didn't intend that to be as harsh as it sounds, but seriously the mechanisms EQ2 has in place are pretty good.  Basic pristine crafted gear IS better than most looted gear.  Mastercrafted gear is better than everything but some legendary and most [very, very rare] fabled drops (and in specific cases can be better than either).  If you are just wearing pristine crafted and a few pieces of mastercrafted, well, you are pretty damn well equipped for tackling mobs at and slightly above your level.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 08:05:34 AM

Turning off combat exp makes the game more fun for me, I have more time to explore the zones I do have access to.

I don't 'refuse' to group. I don't generally group because I tend to go afk a lot, I may pick up the guitar and play for a half hour on a whim. That's unfair to any group I might join. I also don't want the overhead of coordinating with other people when I only have an hour to play. On weekends, sure, but it rarely works out. I'm not really interested in pickup groups, either, because I find most internet people annoying and I don't think leisure time should be spent with annoying people. I have to coordinate people all day, I certainly don't want to spend my evening coordinating random internet people. Maybe that's fun for you. Not for me.

I do use the broker a little. The only things I put on there are Adept books or leftover AppIV stuff, and I'd rather put that in the guild bank for people to use. I have six alts, so if I get a drop for their class, it generally goes to them. I probably have stuff that's valuable that I don't know about, because again, with limited playtime, I don't find sitting at the broker running searches to be fun gameplay.

I wear all quested gear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 08:07:05 AM by Sky »
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 09:07:08 AM

FYI, just drop whatever you have in there and click "Search Broker", set price accordingly.  No manual searching required.  And if you want to buy things, I've always found that the advanced search tool gets me what I want in seconds.

But yeah, if you are saving things for alts or guildmembers, and not selling them to gear yourself, I can't imagine you having much fun.  It's cool to be helpful to other people, but you have to take care of yourself as well.  The game is too item-and-spell-upgrade dependant not to.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 09:15:34 AM

I'm talking about things I wouldn't know were valuable. Like collection stuff you can easily get from newbie zones. I never thought to put them on there, and just before Darklight Woods flooded the market I made like 30gp in a day (because someone mentioned it here).

I've got fairly decent gear, and with teh new feysteels I got, I can upgrade my sword. My swords are pretty nice. My armor is not bad.

I just miss killing mobs in dungeons for cool gear like I used to in EQ, I guess. I was just making some off-handed comments, my opinions on the subject have been expressed ad nauseum before and it's not really worth getting into again, as I mentioned before.
It's cool to be helpful to other people, but you have to take care of yourself as well.  The game is too item-and-spell-upgrade dependant not to.
Which is why my adept I's have been going to the broker. Besides, half the guild are shadowknights now, so I'd be using that stuff myself anyway :)

I do have a lvl 24 weaponcrafter I'm about to try to bump up to mid-30s to make feysteel for my SK and my SK is a lvl 30 or 31 armorcrafter. If anyone needs some gear, let me know and drop the ingredients in the guild bank, I think I cleared most of the crap out of the 4th bank.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 09:34:16 AM

my opinions on the subject have been expressed ad nauseum before and it's not really worth getting into again

You need something like DATH'REMAR! to spam threads with, so we'll all know you're actually bitching about soloing again!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:41 AM

I'm talking about things I wouldn't know were valuable. Like collection stuff you can easily get from newbie zones. I never thought to put them on there, and just before Darklight Woods flooded the market I made like 30gp in a day (because someone mentioned it here).

The typical end to my play session is 5 minutes at the broker dropping stuff in, hitting search and checking the price.  If it's within about 10% of the vendor price I just sell it to the vendor to save time and space (most things) otherwise I cut the lowest bidder by a small margin and stick it up there (rapid turnover is better, IMO than max price).  Strange things go for surprising amounts.  There can be 8 items in a collection, 7 or which are 8 copper and 1 is 12 gp because it's rare and lvl 70's are trying to finish collections to max their AA so, on the vendor it goes.

Sure, those items could be useful to you at some point but a new piece of mastercrafted armor or an adept III makes my play sessions NOW much more enjoyable.  It's the difference between being able to kill a named heroic^^^ or having to pass it up.  Guess where good broker items come from?  Yep, killing green named heroics.

The assassin has about 4 pp with another 4 or so on the broker and has spent 15+ over the levels just doing what I've said above.  I'm sure that by the time I hit 62 i will be able to have a full set of that tiers mastercrafted made and probably some adept III's as well by having bought rares off the vendors when people put them up at low prices.

I do harvest nodes when I come across them if I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere but I've only once actually set out to harvest rares.  That was such an experience in tedium that it shall never happen again.  I'm pretty sure that if I'd spent that same amount of time killing mobs and doing quests I would have accumulated enough items and money to be about equivalent to the cost of buying the rares off the broker and asking someone to craft them for me.

For my time, I personally, would rather adventure.  There is a three way war going on in LFay between the Thexians, the Wu Monks and the Nybright family that is way more interesting to watch play out than standing and clicking rocks or watching the progress bar on the forge advance.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 11:20:18 AM

For my time, I personally, would rather adventure.  There is a three way war going on in LFay between the Thexians, the Wu Monks and the Nybright family that is way more interesting to watch play out than standing and clicking rocks or watching the progress bar on the forge advance.

Those quests will easily net you 10-15 plat easily.  Some of the quests lines are cock-blocked by group quests, but can be done solo (specifically the poisoning of barrels in the thex camp - just get some invis potions and be careful).  Along those lines, I enjoyed Steamfont quite a bit, if you haven't outlevelled it yet.  I know I got a cloak that has a nice ward proc that I wore till I was like level 60...but great quests overall in Steamfont.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 12:40:52 PM

Yeah, I made an easy plat last night in cash rewards and a couple of good quest/loot items that will make great broker items just running back and forth across the zone a few times and killing some solo mobs.

One of the lines is dead ended at having to kill some 55/56 heroic Thexians though so unless I can get a couple of peeps together it will have to wait until I'm 60ish, the reward is well below my current armor though so no biggie.  Broker fodder now or broker fodder later doesn't change much.  The barrel stuff I did no problem, though I did have to run off some see invis dragoon at one point.

Also, fae drake wings == 15 gp.  Yes.  I rip the wings off fairies.   evil

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 01:36:32 PM

I running the Tasty Basket quests in TT right now, pretty easy XP and money at 56.   Have about 8pp on me, a rare black poisonous mushroom from LFay on the broker for 2pp.  Should get my warg today and then it's saving time until 62 armor rolls around.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 03:48:01 PM

I running the Tasty Basket quests in TT right now, pretty easy XP and money at 56.   Have about 8pp on me, a rare black poisonous mushroom from LFay on the broker for 2pp.  Should get my warg today and then it's saving time until 62 armor rolls around.

Are those TT quests still giving AA experience?  I know it was screwed up before, I was getting mad AA xp from repeatable quests, which shouldn't happen.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 06:00:24 PM

I swear it was broken when I first started, seemed like I was getting AA each time, but it stopped.  I may have been imagining things.

Got the warg.  Broke again.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 12:10:42 PM

How did you do the warg quest at 56? Loping Plains is a deathtrap at that level.

I have never played WoW.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 12:13:54 PM

My warden did it at 57 with invis totems.  The last one took 2 tries.

"Me am play gods"
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 01:47:51 PM

I was actually 55 during the first two parts.

Zone to LP.  Evac to Somborn Manor.  Dire Wolves (60-62) and Ravagers (62-64) are right outside the village - the wolf didn't hurt me at all, and the ravager got me down to maybe 75%?

The only Dire Wargs I could find were the 69^^^ ones, so I asked a guildmate to distract one for me for a few seconds.  Said guildmate then showed me the non-heroic 68 ones.  Since she was there anyway I didn't bother seeing if I could grab it solo.  I bet any class with plate and/or reactive heals could have an easy time of it.  Stealth, back to town, easy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Achievements  
Jump to: