Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: They are the Phantasm and the Galaxy gunship. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: They are the Phantasm and the Galaxy gunship.  (Read 38047 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: July 30, 2007, 08:17:10 PM

The Terran Republic technical reports are stating that the Phantasm and Gunship certifications can be purchased at local certification terminals however both vehicles are currently being manufactured and there it’s been found that some of the supply has gone unaccounted for. As of this report the supply will not meet demands but we have word that the vehicles will available for acquisition within the next week.

From today's post in the Planetside update forum.  The green armor in the video was apparently someone being clever and trying to give the video a 'really in the regen tank' feel by color-shifting everything, it appears that they weren't foolish enough to try to stick a new faction into the game and instead are throwing in new toys.

I'm eager to see how they work, but still doubt that ninety-nine percent of the playerbase will ever effectively use transport vehicles, no matter how awesome they become.  In the right hands, a flock of invisible flying transports would be fucking sweet.  Instead, we'll see the pilots trying to use them to ram and kill infantry.  Mark my words.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:06:37 AM

we'll see the pilots trying to use them to ram and kill infantry.
Good times ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 08:45:47 AM

Seems you spoke to soon.

From the planetside forums, posted by "TheUnknownSoldier"

We let information out as we see fit, we have the control and we have the power. In a display of our power we showcased to everyone a neural uplink we recorded from one of our newer soldiers.

The question for you is what's next, where will we stop, or will we ever stop?

As well as many other postings insulting the TR, VS, and NC (Alot of roleplay has spawnd on the forms becouse of this).

Not sure of this is lagit or not..but this image poped up recently, and seems to coinside with the videos.

The phantasm and Galaxy gunship are indeed part of the update, but it seems there is an event happening also, As well as all the home planets being shifted Tuesday.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:47:50 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:47:28 AM

Whatever, they're trying to milk it for all they're worth. It'll probably be one additional unit, like a cloaker tank.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:43 AM

There's still TR insignia on their shoulders.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:39:10 AM

There's still TR insignia on their shoulders.

Reading the responses from "Theunknown" guy, they are the people from the tubes in biolabs. Like i said, no telling if this one is real.. but there are some new type of..well, faction coming, could be just an event, could be more.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:43:41 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:40:06 PM

I'm just hoping that more MCG users will stab each other in the balls.  That would really brighten my day.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:52:36 PM

I'm just hoping that more MCG users will stab each other in the balls.  That would really brighten my day.

A-fuckin-men

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 01:03:09 PM

I know you guys have a special Heartbreak love Heartbreak for the MCG.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:56:57 PM

My issue with the MCG isn't so much with the weapon as the fact that every last soldier in the TR carries at least one and often two, and it's a zerg-friendly enough weapon that they can actually be very effective spamming it everywhere.  Even the Jackhammer requires one to get up close with it, and the Lasher's damage hinges on actually hitting with the disco balls, so a moron firing down a hall at you with those weapons isn't likely to accomplish much.  A moron with a MCG, though, can hurt pretty bad at most any range.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:00:51 PM

My issue with the MCG isn't so much with the weapon as the fact that every last soldier in the TR carries at least one and often two, and it's a zerg-friendly enough weapon that they can actually be very effective spamming it everywhere.  Even the Jackhammer requires one to get up close with it, and the Lasher's damage hinges on actually hitting with the disco balls, so a moron firing down a hall at you with those weapons isn't likely to accomplish much.  A moron with a MCG, though, can hurt pretty bad at most any range.

Unlike the NC or VS right?

We have been over this in another thread however.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 03:26:33 PM

Play VS and look at the back of the other troops sometime, you won't see that many Lashers.  You're likely to see as many MCGs and Jackhammers on Vanu troops as Lashers.  The NC love the Jackhammer a fair bit, but they're not so bad if you don't let them get in your face with one.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 11:41:52 AM

No reason you cannot have an MCG. I pick up Jacks and Lashers all the time.

As someone who recently took up Gal piloting, I am excited about the new air boats.

I have never played WoW.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 11:45:25 AM

Still haven't seen one yet on a battlefield.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 12:09:20 PM

Still haven't seen one yet on a battlefield.

I think they will coincide with the fanfare event. ..so saturday.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 01:29:07 PM

Yeah I just got told that ingame when I certed for Phantasm.  That's a classic stupid shit maneuver.  "Oh hey I'm going to check this cert out ... oh, hey, the vehicle's not even in the god damn game yet."

Probably had to be done to let the 4th faction players, whoever they may be (Some fan Fanfare people will be 4th faction and will get to play with all the toys of NC, VS, and TR), use these vehicles.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 06:57:41 PM

The Phantasm and Galaxy Gunship are on the live servers now.

The skies are filled with Phantasms being used as Anti-Infantry vehicles, as their guns are super powerful and Anti-Aircraft Equipment can't lock on to them. Boo VS and NC, yay TR.  But they have way more armor than a Mosquito and it's absolutely ridiculous to see them dogfight, like two cows trying to lick each other's asshole.

I see a nerf to them very, very soon.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 10:47:11 PM

You mean the TR can lock on still, but not NC and VS?

Wow, way to break shit Even More. TR are so fucking broken.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 02:55:36 AM

TR Anti-Air MAXes don't lock, they just shoot flak all over the place, so no disadvantage against an unlockable aircraft.  NC and VS MAXes do have to lock, and are thus useless against Phantasms.
Strazos

Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 09:26:37 AM

How about the ubiquitous Striker?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 11:28:26 AM

Anything that locks won't work against a Phantasm.  So NC can still pound it with their Phoenix and the Lancer can mess them up, but they have so much armor that the Phantasm could get away before any real damage is done.  Afterburners and all.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 02:30:51 PM

I used to luv hunting with a TR anti-air max.  Heck before the change on the damage to air rounds on infantry, I could mess them up a bit (the sky raider was used alot for this, so they nerfed the damage to infantry from anti-air rounds).  Pretty much no warning then, bam! you could punch up a mossie that was strafing infantry.

TR maxes have no lock on and have to lock down to get a decent rate of fire...which means that VS and NC will smack them hard.  It is better to use them with a group of 3 plus a couple of healers/fixers.  But that is like anything, better in groups.

I think I know what used to frustrate me with Planetside was the lack of pick up groups.  BF2 and BF2142 would allways get people into squads quick, for some reason people are afraid of adding anyone who they haven't played with.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 06:24:01 PM

Something needs to be done on the Phantasm.  I'm hoping it's just that the gun will be removed, because cutting its armor or speed could really ruin its viability as a transport.  Cloaked transport that can't be hit by lock-on weapons is fine, cloaked anti-personnel fighter that can't be hit by lock-on weapons is problematic.  Unfortunately for the Phantasm, more than a few players are gamma cheaters; really ruins the benefit of a cloaked transport if some jackass with his gamma dialed up can see it clearly.

As for the gunships, I'm seeing them in heavy use right now on account of their newness, but I have never seen them actually contribute much to a fight.  They get swarmed and gunned down in short order, much like BFRs.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 12:36:13 AM

I've stopped playing for now.  Finding a better use for my time.  But any big, slow-moving target is going to get pounded by anything withing a square mile.  I actually had an extremely difficult time firing the Galaxy Gunship's guns.  It might have been lag but it could really screw up some tanks if AA and anyone with an AV weapon weren't such a concern.  Considering that you'll usually have less than a half dozen armor on the battlefield and two to three dozen infantry, the infantry will screw over the ground armor in most occasions.  Plus, the game isn't really suited for ground vehicular combat, what with the uneven terrain in 99% of the game.  That's why air combatants are so strong and plentiful away from towers and bases where AA tends not to be.  I mean if you want to screw over a base, you send in the air, because infantry tends not to have AA.

As much as I like how time spent = versatility, I'd rather have a game where one character = one class type at a time.  But any type of system I could come up with might actually be worse.  It would be nice if, at any given time, someone was specced only a certain way instead of every way they can fuck over another user.

Ah just bitching.  I'd still play but I've given up all MMOs to focus on my career for now.  Yes, even WoW.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 09:54:32 AM

The gunships are disappointing. Their firepower is insufficient when balanced against their large size and lack of speed. They are so big, reavers rockets own them. The gunships have probably less than half the armor of a straight galaxy.

Now, like any vehicle in PS, when used as part of a group the gunship can shine, but 5 reavers are better than a full gunship.

Consider a full squad, 10 guys. If they are part of a infantry/spec ops outfit then the galaxy is always the best way to get on target since it has the most armor and can carry 2 MAXes. With two gunships, you leave two guys behind if you want to preserve the aircraft for pickup and no MAXes on the ground. If the squad wants to be anti-air, 2 skyguards and 6 reavers are going to deliver a lot more tactical options and firepower to almost any situation.

Basically, the galaxy gunship sounds cool on paper but it isn't really applicable to the way Planetside is played.

I know little about the phantasm other than they aren't hard to see even if you aren't a gamma cheater and they have too much armor. I hit one with 5 fury missiles and it didn't die. Furies carry a big punch.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:22 PM

Raijinn wrote:
    Hey folks, let's not have this turn into a flame war, we've seen enough of those in the past. I think everyone has a good point of view on this situation and we're going to weigh some options.

I kind of get the feeling that the main frustration point with the Phantasm is the fact that it can somewhat farm while cloaked and it has a good amount of armor. We're looking into some options.

Something you need to understand, The test server for PS is a test server, but nothing will ever be able to be judged, or balanced until it hits live, and players use it for a period of time. Test server is really only for crashes , art issues ETC.. not balance. You cant judge balance in planetside until it has had time in the live game.

Same things always happen, new things get over used, and they are unadjusted from whats on paper, ones it gets used for a while on live servers, and people see creative, not necessarily intended, uses then changes come.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 01:15:45 PM

Nah I just think Planetside needs some better Game Balance designers. :)  I was able to figure out how awesome the Phantasm was after about 2 minutes of using the ship.  "Oh hey! I can farm infantry with this gun really quick! Lookit! I have lots of armor and afterburners! OMG! I can't lock on to that Phantasm? Nerf! NERF!"

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:46 PM

Nah I just think Planetside needs some better Game Balance designers. :)  I was able to figure out how awesome the Phantasm was after about 2 minutes of using the ship.  "Oh hey! I can farm infantry with this gun really quick! Lookit! I have lots of armor and afterburners! OMG! I can't lock on to that Phantasm? Nerf! NERF!"

Ok, but don't you find it weird that the plane designed to transport troops to a destination in a stealthy manner is used for infantry suppression, and a plane designed for infantry suppression is used for...umm, well I don't know to be honest (haven't played since they came in the game).

Why the hell does a stealthy transport even HAVE a gun, much less armor? Let's look at real world for a sec:

AC-130H/U models: real world gunship platform. Has many offensive weapons designed for their role: vehicle and infantry suppression/destruction. Has supplemental defensive measures to compete against primary threat: counter-air, but no offensive weaponry for that role.

MC-130/H/P/N, MV-18 (or whatever the Osprey designator turned out to be): stealth features (not like the high tech stuff in PS of course), defensive countermeasures, tactics/measures to avoid detection, transport capability--but no weaponry, and very little armor. WTF do you put a gun on this type of aircraft for?

Rumors of War
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 01:44:05 PM

The Galaxy Gunship could fuck up a tank something fierce in a short amount of time.  Their primary AV guns are like a chaingun mortar.  The problem is that they are such big targets and need so many people to man and aircraft + infantry are able to make short work of them.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 01:49:01 PM

The Galaxy Gunship could fuck up a tank something fierce in a short amount of time.  Their primary AV guns are like a chaingun mortar.  The problem is that they are such big targets and need so many people to man and aircraft + infantry are able to make short work of them.

The mortars are the same as the one on the back of the marauder, only with increased AV damage and lesioned AI.

As far as the Phantasm, not sure what they were thinking, again, we have had a considerable amount of AA added, maybe they thought it wouldn't last long if it fired (When it fires, it becomes partially visible).

Btw: "They" are not the airships.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 02:10:19 PM

I suspect that people will be flying the gunships with only the mortars manned before long; the 35mms can't protect the gunship for crap.  Too many blind spots for other aircraft to sit in and shoot the hell out of the gunship with impunity.  I fucked up a gunship with a Liberator nose gun by simply flying above it and firing down, nothing it had could return fire.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 02:17:13 PM

I suspect that people will be flying the gunships with only the mortars manned before long; the 35mms can't protect the gunship for crap.  Too many blind spots for other aircraft to sit in and shoot the hell out of the gunship with impunity.  I fucked up a gunship with a Liberator nose gun by simply flying above it and firing down, nothing it had could return fire.

Yeah, i noticed this issue also.

Galship on Galship action is hot however, lol.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 02:29:00 PM

I think getting into any vehicle only makes you a target.  There's too much AV weaponry on the ground.  It either does incredible damage from far away with no drop (VS), locks on to you from far away (TR), or can be guided to you from a hidden vantage point (NC), while you're left having to aim with your vehicle and hope to hit your target.  Armor's good against other armor but you add infantry to the mix and they will fuck up any armor column in short order.  You're really only at an advantage if there's just one guy you're trying to kill with a goddamn tank.  A sniper is more efficient and safe from infantry than a vehicle.

Stuff probably said already 3 years ago.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 03:54:42 PM

I've never felt very troubled by infantry AV weapons when in a vehicle; the damage they do is relatively insignificant to a tank or larger vehicle, and they aren't so great at hitting smaller vehicles.  I'm more concerned about other vehicles and bigger sources of damage like mines and wall turrets.
Strazos

Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 08:54:06 PM

A good driver and gunner an wreak havoc on a battlefield.

Also, a good driver and gunner know when the hell to run and hide, so they can repair and get back into the fray.

You would not believe how long Jimbo and I kept some of our Vanguards alive and going.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: They are the Phantasm and the Galaxy gunship.  
Jump to: