Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:01:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Blade Runner 5 DVD set in the fall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade Runner 5 DVD set in the fall  (Read 7974 times)
jpark
Terracotta Army

on: July 29, 2007, 12:12:32 PM

Thought we used to have a DVD forum?  Not sure if this is the right forum.

Anyway, the greatest science fiction film of the 20th century is coming out in all versions apparently in the fall - Blade Runner.  Speaking for myself, it has been hard to get the original version on release that included the narrative by Ford - which I really enjoyed - will now be available in this set along with all the alternate endings, EU release, and a new director's cut of sorts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000K15VSA/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_top/103-6231099-7950219?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd#customerReviews

For myself, the defining moment in this film was the climactic dialogue between Rutger Haur and Ford - just before he died.  There are even CD sound tracks now that include some of the classic dialogue - in just before the instrumental pieces.

I hate sounding like a predictable geek - but I truely consider this to be one of the best films I have ever seen.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:25:24 PM

It is a great film, but I hate the endless double and triple dipping DVD repackaging that punishes fans by asking them to buy the same thing multiple times.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:47:25 PM

I too preferred it with the narration.  It's one of the few times I've preferred an original over a director's cut.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:52:28 AM

I too preferred it with the narration.  It's one of the few times I've preferred an original over a director's cut.

The narration never bothered me, only the "happy" ending.  It just seemed wrong.

That 5 disc set looks absolutely fantastic though.  5 versions of the movie?  Oh, go on then!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:13:23 AM

I'm totally getting the briefcase version.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:16:37 AM

Bluray or HD-DVD?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 10:54:56 AM

This is going on the list.  I do have the nine-disc Alien set, so this is small potatoes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:12:28 PM

Bluray or HD-DVD?

Neither. I haven't upgraded yet and refuse to until the format war is truly over and you literally cannot buy the other product.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 02:01:35 PM

I haven't upgraded yet and refuse to until the format war is truly over and you literally cannot buy the other product.

I'm going to guess dating was a nightmare.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 02:28:20 PM

I haven't upgraded yet and refuse to until the format war is truly over and you literally cannot buy the other product.

I'm going to guess dating was a nightmare.

*watches that one fly over his head* Huh?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 02:30:58 PM

It isn't funny if I explain that I was imagining you dating multiple women until one of them became the obvious winner.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 02:34:28 PM

It isn't funny if I explain that I was imagining you dating multiple women until one of them became the obvious winner.

Ahhh...it's more like second guessed whether or not I made the right choice most of my life with various women. Which does tie into the discussion actually since I refuse to do that with tech.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 03:48:35 PM

I'm skipping the format altogether. I can either get it digitally or it isn't worth owning.

Also, yes.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 03:52:51 PM

Put me in the "better with narration" camp.

I don't know what it is about me, but no matter whether it's the middle of the day or night, whether I'm sober or not, when movies are just quiet with almost no sound (save ambient) sounds for lengthy periods of time -- I run a serious risk of dozing off.

Editor's cut Blade Runner is one of those films, so are parts of Taxi Driver.

But I'll be all over this (in SD) when it comes out.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 04:25:31 PM

I still have my laser disc version.

Wake me when they finally port this over to HD.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 04:27:14 PM

I apologize for the total derail, but since we're talking about stuff that's finally out on DVD....

Monster Squad. My buddy got a copy early through this brother, though I was not around to watch it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 07:28:00 AM

The thing is, it's essentially a noir film, and while narration is usually a sign of scriptwriter/director laziness in a movie, for noir it works.  So yeah, I'm also in the "pro-narration" camp.  I do agree, though, that the happy ending sucked.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 07:59:03 AM

I apologize for the total derail, but since we're talking about stuff that's finally out on DVD....

Monster Squad. My buddy got a copy early through this brother, though I was not around to watch it.

I got it and watched it. It doesn't hold up as well as I hoped but is still fun to watch.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 09:08:33 AM

The thing is, it's essentially a noir film, and while narration is usually a sign of scriptwriter/director laziness in a movie, for noir it works.  So yeah, I'm also in the "pro-narration" camp.  I do agree, though, that the happy ending sucked.

The best would be narration + director's cut ending, for sure.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 01:04:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about the narration. I think my only issue with it is it explains to much in some ways and is kind of distracting. But I always enjoyed the narration at the very end "I don't know why he saved me..."

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 03:37:41 PM

Going to broaden this topic a bit - while a geek myself I am not that in tune with some developments in this area:

How influential was this film on subsequent Sci Fi depictions of the future in novels, computer games and film?

My impressions is outside the novel Neuromancer this film almost single handidly launched the cyber punk era with games like shadowrun epitomizing the influence.  Agree - disagree?

This film captures two other major elements for me:

1.  Philip Dick.  Minority Report, Running man, Total Recall - there are SO many films based on his work - and of course - Blade Runner.

2.  Ridley Scott.  Who also directed Aliens and Gladiator - this director is now etched in my mind as my favorite.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 04:09:51 PM

2.  Ridley Scott.  Who also directed Aliens and Gladiator - this director is now etched in my mind as my favorite.

I'm not so presumptuous as to say you're wrong for liking him best, but he is damned hit & miss.  Gladiator, for instance, is one of his movies I'd include on the "miss" list, right next to Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down.

I think he's an exceptional technical director, and the good movies he's made will stand the test of time; Alien and Blade Runner.  I just don't think he's consistent enough to be put in the pantheon of the truly greats.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 07:08:18 PM

I actually wrote a paper in college in my Detective Fiction as Social Criticism class about the narration/non-narration in Bladerunner arguing that the absence of the narration made it more "hand-boiled" and a better film.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 07:14:43 AM

I'm not so presumptuous as to say you're wrong for liking him best, but he is damned hit & miss.  Gladiator, for instance, is one of his movies I'd include on the "miss" list, right next to Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down.

I think he's an exceptional technical director, and the good movies he's made will stand the test of time; Alien and Blade Runner.  I just don't think he's consistent enough to be put in the pantheon of the truly greats.

He didn't say he was one of the greats. He said he was his favorite director, and he's also in my top 5, I'll take Ridley Scott over his brother or a hack like Paul "I ruined the Bourne movies with my 'artistic' shakycam" Greengrass any day. Like him I enjoyed the hell out of Gladiator. You obviously didn't but that's your opinion.

The only thing he is wrong about is that Ridley Scott directed Alien not Aliens.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 07:23:24 AM

Gladiator was the popcorn movie version of Braveheart. As such, it was aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome. But it's no SPARTA.
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 09:13:43 AM

Gladiator sucked all kinds of cock.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:59 AM

Gladiator's good, it just doesn't hold up for repeated viewings.   I find myself fast-forwarding through all the shlocky/ horrible plot and sexual-tension scenes.  I just want to watch Maximus kill shit. Those parts are awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 09:44:01 AM

Gladiator was decent, though it would have been better if they'd just made the entire movie more big ass battle scenes like the initial five minutes.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 09:52:50 AM

Gladiator has a fucking fantastic soundtrack.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 07:35:19 AM

Gladiator's good, it just doesn't hold up for repeated viewings.   I find myself fast-forwarding through all the shlocky/ horrible plot and sexual-tension scenes.  I just want to watch Maximus kill shit. Those parts are awesome.

I will admit, I pop it into my dvd player and only watch the opening battle, the "Battle of Carthage" and sometimes the fight scene with the retired gladiator and the lions. The battle of Carthage is to me, probably the best fight scene I've ever scene, all the way through his speech and his entry back into the pens with all the other gladiators chanting his name.

Gladiator has a fucking fantastic soundtrack.

It is probably one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I have a real weakness for that kind of bombastic semi-operatic music.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 08:08:27 PM

Update

IT'S ON.  It's out.  Tomorrow, 2-day shipping.  HD-DVD with maybe some Ridley love.  Briefcase here.

I need Sake, some Wasabi nuts, rain and the world is mine.
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 08:11:57 PM

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 08:19:55 PM

Hey thanks for posting this, I missed the first post and now this is #1 on my wish list! (Or #1 on my after-christmas-presents-for-myself list).

- Viin
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 12:42:23 AM

Going to broaden this topic a bit - while a geek myself I am not that in tune with some developments in this area:

How influential was this film on subsequent Sci Fi depictions of the future in novels, computer games and film?

My impressions is outside the novel Neuromancer this film almost single handidly launched the cyber punk era with games like shadowrun epitomizing the influence.  Agree - disagree?

This film captures two other major elements for me:

1.  Philip Dick.  Minority Report, Running man, Total Recall - there are SO many films based on his work - and of course - Blade Runner.

Wasn't Running Man based on a Stephen King novel? Or did you just mean that Running Man was influenced by it? Either way, awesome flick. Blade Runner is just one of those movies I can watch over and over again-any version. I think that's the only movie I ever saw where the hero shoots the bad guy in the back and later gets his ass saved by his girlfriend after getting the crap kicked out of him.

Ridley Scott also made Legend. My favorite favorite version of Satan.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 06:31:01 AM

I'm getting it on Standard Def despite having a PS3. I refuse to buy any next gen DVDs until this format war is over one way or the other.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Blade Runner 5 DVD set in the fall  
Jump to: