Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:26:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Next Star Trek Movie: Nimoy, Sylar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next Star Trek Movie: Nimoy, Sylar  (Read 19305 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 01:23:18 AM

Looks like my favorite self destructive babe is playing Spock's mom. Link

I guess this means that they won't quite be brushing over his side of the story then...? I mean, she's not exactly cameo material.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 01:27:00 AM

She's not?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 01:55:25 AM

I'd say she is.

That said, Spock and his backstory is really the most interesting thing about TOS Start.

Kirk and Bones being friends is probably the only close contender.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 04:41:18 AM

I'd say she's in... a "rebuilding" phase like Downey Jr and Woody Harrellson were (Woody's probably still there..).

Of course, she's not as talented as Downey, but her looks (which she still has) makes up for it.

So no, not cameo material. Fuck, I hope not. I like her.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 12:20:11 PM

I'd say she's in... a "rebuilding" phase like Downey Jr and Woody Harrellson were (Woody's probably still there..).

Of course, she's not as talented as Downey, but her looks (which she still has) makes up for it.

So no, not cameo material. Fuck, I hope not. I like her.

Guess makes sense since they were all in the same little trippy flick together.  http://imdb.com/title/tt0405296/

In finding that link I came across this tidbit.  They are remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Whoa Reeves as Klaatu.  Someone please bomb Hollywood now, too depressing to even link.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 12:35:47 PM

Lol. That's funny. In Woody's defence, he's playing in No Country For Old Men, which looks like an awesome flick.

Winona playing in Star Trek just seems odd to me. It's on par with her playing in Alien Resurrection, which was equally strange. I give her credit for taking on cool projects though.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:45 PM

I don't think it needs to be remade, but I'm not a Keanu hater really.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 12, 2007, 12:42:27 PM

Winona, eh?

She could really steal the show.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 12, 2007, 12:49:14 PM

I don't think it needs to be remade, but I'm not a Keanu hater really.

I constantly make fun of him but more often then not I enjoy the hell out of his movies.  Maybe in spite of him but he is good in certain roles even if I always think his next line is going to be him yelling Wild Stallions and doing some air guitar.  But this is just not a good fit and like you said its not a remake that needs to even be touched. 

To get back on topic I love Winona Ryder and more of her is always a good thing imo, even another Star Trek movie.
WayAbvPar

Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 02:29:48 PM

Winona, eh?

If she lets the girls out, definitely.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 12, 2007, 02:52:37 PM

Winona, eh?

If she lets the girls out, definitely.

Or if she shoves it in her purse while in the dressing room.

I need a tongue in cheek smiley.

My humor doesn't work here.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 20, 2008, 05:38:44 PM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #47 on: January 20, 2008, 06:44:41 PM

Yeah, I knew it was a Trek trailer immediately. Without knowing they had a movie coming out.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #48 on: January 20, 2008, 09:15:55 PM

I'm kind interested to see how well they pull off the designs without coming off as too retro. As good as the core characters were, just about everything from the original series has the 60's written all over it. The transporter and door swooshing sounds, the lack of detail in the ship model, the primitive "switch" controls of the bridge, the uniforms, the haircuts of both men and women.. It doesn't really have a timeless look, like say, Star Wars did.

On a sidenote: Did anyone ever see that DS9 tribble episode, where they merged old footage with new? That was brilliant... and really funny. But it was intended to be funny. It's going to be hard to escape that here. I mean hell... Just about every non-fan I know even laughs at the 80's films, like Wrath of Khan. That's retro to them too.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 21, 2008, 07:42:32 AM

Never saw the DS9 episode, but it sounds fun.

I think the JJ Abrams movie is going to reinvent a lot of things. It's an origin story that only seems to share character names with the other (and just as inconsistent) origin stories. But they probably figure ST needs this sort of kick-start, to make what was Star Trek relevant for the younger audiences today that probably largely don't care. Basically, queue that Penny Arcade strip about who this isn't for smiley Not that I agree that's the way it should go, but it seems to be what they're thinking.

So, whatever happened in TOS (sounds, ambience, models), probably doesn't matter. They'll likely throw some homages in there (maybe red doors and Majel Barrett voiceovers), but I personally don't expect a representation of the original at well.

Heck, they just showed Scotty (?) using a 20th century welder wink
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #50 on: January 21, 2008, 07:51:32 AM

I just assumed it'd look retro, because the ship in that trailer does. Maybe you're right though.

The DS9 episode is called Trials and Tribble-ations. I always tell people that ds9 is mostly a funny show (even when it's serious), and that one is a good example.

Worf on the strange appearance of the Klingons in the background:

"We do not talk about it with outsiders."

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 21, 2008, 08:16:35 AM

On a sidenote: Did anyone ever see that DS9 tribble episode, where they merged old footage with new? That was brilliant... and really funny. But it was intended to be funny. It's going to be hard to escape that here. I mean hell... Just about every non-fan I know even laughs at the 80's films, like Wrath of Khan. That's retro to them too.
It's the best hommage piece ever made.  The writers were in good form and the actors were having such a blast that the entire episode comes off perfectly.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: January 21, 2008, 08:43:39 AM

The DS9 Tribbles episode was a real classic, easily as good as the original Tribbles episode.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 09:11:02 AM

And it was the first time Star Trek ever actually acknowledged the difference between old time Klingons and the modern ones. The difference was actually explained in the last season of Enterprise once they'd purged the Vampire Space Nazis from their system.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:04 AM

And it was the first time Star Trek ever actually acknowledged the difference between old time Klingons and the modern ones. The difference was actually explained in the last season of Enterprise once they'd purged the Vampire Space Nazis from their system.

The last season of Enterprise was actually pretty good - particularly the brain-twisting Mirror Universe arc, which tied in to  at least three different original series eps.

A pity they'd already burned all their karma by then.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 21, 2008, 12:20:26 PM

It was explained in the books some 15 years ago.

Actually, probably more.  Fuck, I'm old.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 21, 2008, 01:09:26 PM

I never read any of the books. Was the explanation there the same as in Enterprise?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 21, 2008, 01:37:50 PM

I think I recall that the explanation was that old-style klingons were half-breeds and that the full blooded klingons didn't see fit to 'intermingle' with the inferior races.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 21, 2008, 02:06:55 PM

Ironwood is correct. However, I've avoided bringing up the books as a valid reference for lore because they, like the Star Wars stuff, always follow the whim of the mothership. Most lore is merely expanded upon in the books, not the other way around.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 22, 2008, 03:44:38 AM

FUCK THIS LAPTOP.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 22, 2008, 04:42:35 AM

Ahem.

Imperial Strain Klingons.

Apparently, the TOS Klingon Ships were staffed with Half-breeds and footsoldiers that were seen by the Klingon high command as entirely expendable.  The wrinkly forehead denotes the 'Imperial' chaps who either stayed home like pussies planning with BIG BRAINS or were on board the ships hiding when they blew up.

Of course, none of this explains why Kor, Koloth and, er, that other one then appeared on DS9 in full wrinkly headed glory.

That was, of course, another brilliant episode of DS9.  Which was good because most of DS9 was utter, utter shite.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 22, 2008, 04:59:29 AM

Finally something I can completely disagree with you about, yay!

DS9 was the best Star Trek after TOS (and TOS is only the best because childhood memories and whatnot). At least the later parts of the series.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 22, 2008, 05:36:26 AM

That's fine, but you're not going to get an argument.

As in 'It's not Worth My Time'.

DS9 started off as sorta promising, but wandered badly into the 'War Makes Everything Fun' style of dreadfulness.  Along the way it grabbed the 'Race Makes Everything Interesting', 'The Holodeck Makes Everything Interesting', 'Terry Farrel Makes Everything Interesting' and then, worse, 'Romantic Intrigue Makes Everything Interesting.  They only BARELY managed to pull off 'Time Travel Makes Everything Interesting'.

I simply will not speak about 'Religion Makes Everything Interesting'.   At all.  Fuck those episodes.  Fuck that Kai bitch.  Fuck all that shite.  She would have got shanked a long, long time ago.

In almost all of these it was wrong.  I'll let them away with Klingons and Ferengi making shit interesting, but that's about it.  Oh, and Garak.  Garak fucking rocked.

By the end of DS9 the writing was on the wall for the 'tone' that Voyager was going to have and, by God, did it take the suck stick and run with it.  By the End of Voyager we knew that Enterprise would have to be a total reboot or it would eat the sludgy shit off our shoes.  And, by God, Lizard Space Nazis.

The Next Generation was the only good modern Trek.  And, yes, I'm counting all the movies from Generations onwards as total and utter worthless garbage.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #63 on: January 22, 2008, 05:38:58 AM

It's my favorite. Every episode was bound to have some humor in it, it had the best Trek villain ever, and wasn't heavily serialized like the other series. The story in the first episode didn't really come to a conclusion until the very end, 7 seasons later.

[edit] Damn, I thought the TNG movies were great. That's really my first appreciation for all of it. The movies won me over -- especially First Contact.

Either way though, it's all pretty fun. I don't see how someone who could like one could have so much hate for everything else.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:42:10 AM by Stray »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 22, 2008, 05:42:19 AM

What ?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #65 on: January 22, 2008, 05:43:02 AM

I'm saying you're being a little dramatic.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 22, 2008, 05:55:58 AM

Its ok, we can't agree on everything. Thats one of the downsides of your gimmick accounts escaping!  smiley

Garak fucking rocked, we can agree on that.

I like long story arches. Maybe thats why I prefer DS9 over "everything is back to normal after this episode" TNG or "what do you mean the crew members of that other ship vanished into thin air" Voyager.

And, for some reason I never will be able to understand, I hate the character of Geordi La Forge. The only Star Fleet chief engineer I despise. I hope that isn't latent racism.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 22, 2008, 06:11:09 AM

I'm saying you're being a little dramatic.

Just because I honestly believe that people who liked First Contact should be deep fried in batter and then consumed by the inhabitants of Springburn at some monthly celebration ?

Surely not.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #68 on: January 22, 2008, 06:16:17 AM

It was funny. I keep on saying this, but that's pretty much my rule of thumb with sci-fi (either that, or lots of vehicular carnage).

Data was funny (as usual), and the Warp Drive dude was funny. And the Borg Queen was pretty hot. Winning combo right there, man.

Later on, after having my interest sparked in Trek, I found that there was a lot of humor in all of it. But DS9 was the best for it imo.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:18:25 AM by Stray »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 22, 2008, 06:18:31 AM

Alice Krige was hot ?

What ?

DEEP FRIED I TELL YOU.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Next Star Trek Movie: Nimoy, Sylar  
Jump to: