Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Next Star Trek Movie: Nimoy, Sylar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next Star Trek Movie: Nimoy, Sylar  (Read 19304 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: July 27, 2007, 03:29:54 PM

The last Star Trek thread was over 120 days old and I got barked at for considering a necro :) But ya'all may have seen this already:

Slashdot article about this.

Nimoy is in the next Trek movie as Spock and Sylvar plays his younger self. Sylar as Spock is just awesome.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:44:17 PM

He can turn water into snow.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:33:24 PM

Sylar as Spock is great casting. A young Shat though? That's going to be a tough one.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 01:08:59 AM

Sylar as Spock is great casting. A young Shat though? That's going to be a tough one.

Actually, I know who it is, and it's going to surprise you a bit.  He's known, but not a household name.  Can't say who it is though, as he's a friend of mine.  He didn't mean to tell me, in fact, it was by complete and total accident (overheard through VOIP whilst playing with him on xBox Live). 

But you may or may be pleasantly surprised when it pops. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:14:40 AM

It's ok, my cousin Natalie already told me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Amp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:10:20 PM

It's ok, my cousin Natalie already told me.

bhaha..

This space for rent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:15:21 PM

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 04:39:37 PM

I had my money on the guy that just got offed from Stargate Atlantis -- the doctor guy.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:51:36 PM

Snakecharmer, tell your friend to fund f13. We need rich people with more money than sense.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 12:07:31 AM

I like Star Trek as much as the next nerd, but Jesus.  They just need to fucking stop with the Trek for a year or ten.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 01:00:49 AM

I had my money on the guy that just got offed from Stargate Atlantis -- the doctor guy.

For me, Pegg is a really silly choice.  I'd be prepared to accept SA Doc, though, since he's probably the most authentic Scot I've ever seen in a Sci-Fi show.  The episode where they send Videos home before Impending Death actually managed to capture an aspect of Gentle Highlands.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:06 AM

At one time I heard Gary Sinise was going to be the new McCoy.

I thought that was perfect, but it's gotta be bullshit, right? Seems like everyone being cast is half as old as he is.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:07:12 AM by Stray »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 01:08:57 AM

Bear in mind that McCoy was actually older than most of the others serving on the starship.  There was a book that explained how he and Kirk became friends, despite the age difference...

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:12:55 AM

I was just reading up... Now the rumor is that Karl Urban is McCoy.

Umm what? If you don't know him, he's the musclehead who played the main guy in Doom, Eomer is LotR, the Russian dude that killed Damon's girlfriend in the 2nd Bourne flick, and the guy in that ridiculous viking movie.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 01:57:38 AM

And now John Cho (Harold from Harold and Kumar) has been cast as Sulu.  This cast would almost be better suited for a sequel to Galaxy Quest.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 10:40:49 AM

I can't get past any attempt at a young Shatner coming off to a trek person as blasphemous, or at best to a regular person, mildly campy.  Not to get hung up on the Captain Kirk character, which I admit thinking was awesome when I was younger, but Shatner himself is just kind of a unique guy.  I don't think acting skills like that exist.

AKA Gyoza
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 10:48:04 AM

I bet Ryan Reynolds (the Van Wilder guy) could pull it off.  It's all about the aura of supreme confidence.

John Cho was great (and not at all funny) in Better Luck Tomorrow.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 05:42:08 PM

Does anyone know if this is going to be a "faithful" Star Trek movie, or are they going for a reboot or re-imagining a la Battlestar Galactica?  As much as I've enjoyed Star Trek over the years, it really is a burned out franchise at this point and would be better served by leaving it alone for a little while longer.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 06:04:09 AM

I don't think Star Trek 'do' alternate canons.

Thousands of trekkie brains would short out attempting to reconcile the two.

It would be too messy to contemplate.

The stardate thing gives them a hard enough time already.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 07:51:05 AM

I don't think the franchise need to sit idle for a few years as much as it needs to be freed from Berman and Braga who have been running it since Roddenberry died. They're the ones who ran out of ideas.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 08:10:03 AM

For me, Pegg is a really silly choice.  I'd be prepared to accept SA Doc, though, since he's probably the most authentic Scot I've ever seen in a Sci-Fi show.  The episode where they send Videos home before Impending Death actually managed to capture an aspect of Gentle Highlands.

Paul McGillion tried to, but I'm guessing Abrams wanted to work with Pegg again after having a taste of him with Mission Impossible 3.  As far as actors go, I think Pegg has a better chance of pulling it off, to be honest.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 09:31:28 AM

Paul McGillion tried to, but I'm guessing Abrams wanted to work with Pegg again after having a taste of him with Mission Impossible 3.  As far as actors go, I think Pegg has a better chance of pulling it off, to be honest.
Sadly, I'm thinking Abram's conception of Scotty is "fat Scottish comic relief".
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 02:19:27 PM

Thousands of trekkie brains would short out attempting to reconcile the two.

It would be too messy to contemplate.

The stardate thing gives them a hard enough time already.

Are you fucking kidding me ??

You do know what the other movies did to the continuity, right ?

They Shatnered on it.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 03:29:47 PM

Every movie's reinvented something and the series with the most runs even reinvented their own pasts. And that's not even including the alternate-timeline/multiverse stuff.

And this doesn't even touch on the books :)
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 01:49:08 PM

http://www.trektoday.com/news/151007_01.shtml

Quote from: TrekToday
Director Joe Carnahan announced today that Chris Pine has given up a lead role in his upcoming film White Jazz to take on the role of Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek film.

Never heard of him before.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 02:21:15 PM

I saw him once in some Lindsay Lohan movie.

Why I'm even admitting to that, i don't know.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 03:24:28 PM

He was in Smokin' Aces. The last crazy nazi brother that got shot in the end.
Yoshimaru
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 01:43:18 AM

I was just reading up... Now the rumor is that Karl Urban is McCoy.

Umm what? If you don't know him, he's the musclehead who played the main guy in Doom, Eomer is LotR, the Russian dude that killed Damon's girlfriend in the 2nd Bourne flick, and the guy in that ridiculous viking movie.

Confirmed

Quote from: Yahoo
"Lord of the Rings" veteran Karl Urban is strapping on a stethoscope to play Leonard "Bones" McCoy, the Starship's Enterprise's medical officer, in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" feature.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 03:42:02 AM

Seriously, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 06:36:13 AM

He does have some slightly similar mannerisms.

And I thought the prior guy who was going to play Kirk was a near-perfect fit. Chris Pine is even more so in my opinion.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 08:43:26 AM

http://www.trektoday.com/news/151007_01.shtml

Quote from: TrekToday
Director Joe Carnahan announced today that Chris Pine has given up a lead role in his upcoming film White Jazz to take on the role of Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek film.

Never heard of him before.

That's pretty huge.  Hopefully it's an indicator that the Star Trek script is good, because a role in White Jazz is nothing to pass on.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:21 AM

There is no perfect fit for Kirk Shatner.

Not saying Pine will be bad though... But he won't really be Kirk.

But wtf to that other guy. There's nothing about Karl Urban that convinces me that he can say "I'm just a country doctor".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 09:19:10 AM

The only one I can't understand is Urban. I just don't get it.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 01:14:58 PM

But wtf to that other guy. There's nothing about Karl Urban that convinces me that he can say "I'm just a country doctor".
For me it's something of the resemblance to the doctor from Firefly. I sort of consider him the "country doctor" type even in a futuristic setting. It's the mannerisms. I think this guy can pull that off. He also kinda looks like one of the doctors from Grey's Anatomy. Can't remember his name.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:16:33 PM by Darniaq »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 06:49:54 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Next Star Trek Movie: Nimoy, Sylar  
Jump to: