Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Endgame Quote 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Endgame Quote  (Read 40759 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #70 on: March 30, 2004, 12:33:11 PM

Quote from: HRose

Levelling is the *consequence* of your play session, not its cause. When you log off you aren't happy because you gained a bit of exp or RPs. You just had a lot of fun. It could be at level 1 or 40, it's still the same fun. You don't feel like doing this and this so you are able to reach a point where the fun is "supposed to be". Without never reaching it.

That sounds fan-fucking-tastic. It sounds like what I've been looking for since UO got boring.  I will however, remain skeptical until I can actually get my hands on it.  I mean afterall, you did like DAoC for an extended period of time.

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #71 on: March 30, 2004, 12:55:01 PM

Quote from: Rasix

Levelling is the *consequence* of your play session, not its cause. When you log off you aren't happy because you gained a bit of exp or RPs. You just had a lot of fun. It could be at level 1 or 40, it's still the same fun. You don't feel like doing this and this so you are able to reach a point where the fun is "supposed to be". Without never reaching it.

That sounds fan-fucking-tastic. It sounds like what I've been looking for since UO got boring.  I will however, remain skeptical until I can actually get my hands on it.  I mean afterall, you did like DAoC for an extended period of time.

Fuck yeah, thats what the devs have been saying for a while, and my friends and I have all agreed that if they can pull this of.. ie, leveling as a side effect of having fun, then we will love it.

Make games fun not work.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 30, 2004, 02:03:09 PM

Quote from: angry.bob
I’m praying that WoW will be at least as “crappy” and “unfun” as Diablo 2 and Warcraft X. If that’s the case, it’ll give me something to do for the next several years. Unfortunately, from the sounds of the raid crap they’re peen waving about, they’re going the route of catering to the self-styled elite to the detriment of making a “game”. Threads here and many other places indicate that hours of camping and mandatory grouping is not what most people are looking to get into now. Sure there are exceptions (Mesozoic, I’m looking at you), but people are starting to demand the ability to lead an actual real life without falling hopelessly behind their single friends and co-workers in what is ultimately supposed to be a relaxing pastime. Being able to order 50 different units to cast 50 different spells in 60 seconds doesn’t make you a better tactician, it makes you a better hotkey-pusher. Camping shit hours on end with “guildies” or whatever doesn’t make you skilled or equal an accomplishment, it makes you a f*cking loser at life. Welcome to the realization that most people here could have earned at least a Masters with the time they’ve pissed away on “virtual worlds”. That’s why those of us with actual lives want a game, not a virtual c*ck-stroking to make us feel like we’re doing something vaguely equal to making our lives not be a total waste.

What he said. Twice. In bold.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #73 on: March 30, 2004, 02:17:09 PM

Something I'm considering (but it's early to figure out since I passed only a few hours in the game) is the risk.

I actually love that the game is so playable. When peoples say that levelling is fast, isn't just about mobs giving out more experience. It's about fighting easily, you gain a good amount of exp by killing easily mobs a few levels higher than you, having fun with your style and buff (think about a mix of FFXI and DAoC, just a bit more fast paced and lively). You can chain kill various mobs in just a few seconds and it's rare that you have to sit and wait.

You also loot a lot of meat and stuff from corpses that allow you to heal during the downtime. You are also packed with equipment. It's great having to check constantly your equipment, choosing better looking parts.

There are tons and tons of different things to wear, and many slots. All these things have a personalized texture. You *cannot* see necklaces, rings or cloaks but you *can* see belts and bracers, for example. The equipment is also layered so you can wear bracers and over them the gauntles. Or a shirt and over it an armor and so on.

But even here, the game is terribly generous at giving you stuff to manage and it's all there available to you, as the quests. You don't need a zerg and a few hours to go questing or find a loot.

Lately I levelled a Paladin on DAoC from 20 to 36 and I have just 2-3 pieces of equipment, and playing for hours and hours on the same spot, killing the same monster. This simply doesn't happen in WoW. You walk around just to see what's behind an hill and you kill wandering mobs. The whole place feels very lively, packed everywhere with monsters and critters. There's not the concept of a "spot" where you have to go and stay. It feels more like a promenade (some on the forums are complaining about this too much walk).

The death penalty is so minimal that it doesn't exist, in particular when the exp isn't your focus. The main part is to respawn at the city when you are far away exploring.

Oh, and you can also go nekkid and punch at the monsters. I loved this, there are unarmed skills and the combat animations are definitely fun, you see even the blood spurting around. :)

P.S.
Related to what I wrote here, just read on the official forum from Katricia:
I want to take a moment and thank everyone for the thousands of /bug and /suggest reports that you’ve been sending in. I also want to let you all know that these reports do not go unheard. We’ve got a team of good folks that go through them every day. The reports are sorted and sent to the development team for fixes and their consideration.

As an example, a sampling of your /bug and /suggest reports that are planned for implementation in the next push are listed below:

Suggestions:
# Equipped cloaks will be visible.
# Darnassus, Stormwind, Orgrimmar and Undercity have all undergone layout changes to be easier to navigate (eventually all major cities will be overhauled)
# As a ghost, you can now reincorporate from a further distance from your corpse, and you will reincorporate with 50% health and mana
# More recipes are being added for many of the tradeskills.
# A new spawn system is being put in place to help prevent monsters from spawning on top of players

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=8756#post8756

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #74 on: March 30, 2004, 02:51:36 PM

HRose you gota fucking stop man.

Your turning jaded cynical assholes in to almost fanbois, and we haven't even played the game yet.

Bah, I hope I get in the third phase of beta, you're really making me want to try this.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 30, 2004, 03:52:59 PM

HRose you gota fucking stop man.

Your turning jaded cynical assholes in to almost fanbois, and we haven't even played the game yet.

Bah, I hope I get in the third phase of beta, you're really making me want to try this.

I can't believe people can still get excited reading others opinions of games after a few hours of play.  The raves here on SWG were deafening early on.  Joe had a fricking hardon for HORIZONS after seeing a shiney dragon.

The game might be real good, it might not.  But the staggering odds are that anyone here won't be playing until launchday (or a few days after as the servers die).  Open beta for a game like this will be utterly crushed unless they do open beta with 40 servers.  It is nothing against blizzard or their game at all, but just the logistics of 200-400,000 people trying to log on for some free gaming.  Heck, lineage2 has a tiny niche following and you can't log into that to save your life.

Just calm down and count the game as vapor until you can get your paws on it.  No reasons letting others work you into a froth on generalizations that could be said by any fanboi of any current game.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #76 on: March 30, 2004, 05:00:22 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Things and Stuff

But.... GIMME GIMME NOW NOW NOW NOW, MUST HAVE! SHINY NEW NEW NOW GIMME!!1!1@!2!11!

WOW WILL ROK. GIMME!!121!

err.. hurmph. Sorry. My inner fanboi is fighting like mad to come out.

I shall try my best to stay jaded. We all know what happens when you actually start to get excited, it bends you over, and each race gets a turn ass raping you, with no lube.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #77 on: March 30, 2004, 06:56:28 PM

http://www.nikinet.it/hrose/kadath.jpg">

I wanted to show my character, it's awesome.
When he fights with a 2H axe he seems Wolverine, he bends forward and crouches to the ground, holding the axe with both hands behind him.

But there are also bad things about the game. For example the chat is painful. There's no way to filter anything, nor modify the font size. You have loot, exp, chats, global trade, guild, server messages etc... all in the same window, and it shows just 8 lines. It's harder than in FFXI to follow a discussion and there's no way to extend it. You cannot even use the history, there's no way to resend something.

P.S. Just noticed that when you are idle for a bit the character sit down on its own after a yawn. :)

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 30, 2004, 09:20:19 PM

The biggest turn-off for me is the style of character graphics.  The catrooney/animae-ish avatars were and are a pretty big turn off to me.  I had written off the game for that reason until people started telling me about it.  The gnome avatars are particularly egregious, but at least I won't be playing with them as an Orc.  Of course, this is all extremely subjective.

I will take a game with distasteful shiney if the mechanics are good.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: March 30, 2004, 09:29:04 PM

Having seen 2 extremely fucked up high-res korean videos of WoW, I would also say the biggest turn off - besides the userbase - is the graphics. I mean they are REALLY fugly. It was ok in Warcraft III, but for an MMO - I think fucking not. I'll take the City of Heroes graphics over those any day. Nay, I'll take the goddamned SW:G graphics over those. Ick.

Oh, and HRose won't be turning me into a fanboi, I mean seriously, all the shaking fake boobies in south miami wouldn't get me excited over an MMORPG from Blizzard. It just won't happen. While everything in the game seems polished, happy, and smooth, it still doesn't account for the fact Blizzard sucks at balancing, sucks at stopping cheaters, sucks at crowd control, and now sucks at graphics.

It's too bad I'm an MMO Whore, or I'd write this one off forever.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #80 on: March 30, 2004, 09:39:01 PM

Quote from: El Gallo
The biggest turn-off for me is the style of character graphics.  The catrooney/animae-ish avatars were and are a pretty big turn off to me.  

First a precisation. The screenshots, even the best ones don't give even an idea about how the game "feels". It really makes an amazing effect when you notice the difference and I've seen many, many screenshots.

Then I would put the style between Joe Madrueira and Tim Burton's "Nightmare before Christmas". It's not a childish style, it's absolutely inspired and epical. Surely nothing, not even a pixel, feels generic.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: March 30, 2004, 09:41:47 PM

It's not a childish style, it's absolutely inspired and epical. Surely nothing, not even a pixel, feels generic.

It was inspired when Warcraft 3 came out. Now it's old and busted.
Censorship

Email
Reply #82 on: March 30, 2004, 10:33:47 PM

As much as I want to be exicited about WOW, I am sadly forced to remain skeptical.  You see, the majority of these favorable reviews neglect to mention the one fatal flaw of the MMOG in question - the players.

Quite a few people have already belabored that point within this and other threads so I won't retread familiar ground.  However, having played D2 a great deal and suffered under the tyranny of many an asshat in UO (IPY and pre-UO:R) and in SB (War server), I can safely say that players can make or break your game just as easily your mechanics.

I mean, imagine it, the very floodgates of the blizzard forums opened, wide and true to unleash a veritable deluge of idiocy upon server after server.  This is the kind of stuff Steven Hawkings has nightmares about.  Universal implosions of idiocy to the third degree.

Put that all in perspective and then try to salvage your optomism.

Trust me, it's rather difficult.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #83 on: March 30, 2004, 11:40:26 PM

Quote from: Censorship
As much as I want to be exicited about WOW, I am sadly forced to remain skeptical.  You see, the majority of these favorable reviews neglect to mention the one fatal flaw of the MMOG in question - the players.

Well, look on the bright side, once you get to the PVP, you will have the chance to kill at least 50% of them.

The players can have an adverse effect, but really, I doubt you will see many more idiots then any other mmog, I mean, what, maybe WOW will have 95% idiots instead of 92.5%?

Still, you find who you enjoy, and strive to kill every one else. Thats what I do.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #84 on: March 31, 2004, 02:57:42 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic

I'm the one whining for "30-minute content."  Perhaps you have your geologic eras confused.

I took your vehement opposition to any sort of player-driven conflict to mean you were in the leveltastic Raids-R-Us camp since the exclusion PvP or AvH would leave nothing else for the end/metagame except 1) Leveling until the soft cap meant you would never hit the next level and 2) Raids. As big a fan of 30-minute content as I am, there does need to be something more to do than an endless series of short quests - besides f*ggy raids. Because when you boil the fat from the meat there is no way even a “hardcore” casual player who’s normal gameplay session lasts a few hours every night is going to have the connections to participate in one.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 31, 2004, 06:36:28 AM

I wanted to show my character, it's awesome.

No, it is exactly the same as every other fucking dwarf in the game with a 'different' head.  I put different in quotes because others will have the same head as you as well.  It is like saying "my barbie doll looks awesome" when it is exactly the same as all the others.

The combat he already described as a mix of ffxi and daoc.  That hardly exites me.  DAOC combat SUCKED IMO.  I have talked to others who explained the combat.  It is standard autoattack with weapon speeds and hotkeys to press from time to tome.  Whoop.  (yeah there are stances and such that add SOMETHING at least)  I am just so f'ing tired of autoattack.  There has got to be something better damnit.  (this goes for eq2 as well which sounds like ffxi combat)

The game may be good, but not by anything you have said.  You can't describe indescribable things, so don't bother trying.  I am going to CoH next, should keep me busy till EQ2 or WoW come out.  I realize I am critisizing you for praising WoW while I am praising CoH, but CoH is a week away from their preorder beta where anyone can spend $5 to get a preorder box and try the game on the 7th.  It releases on the 25th of april (less than a month) for preorders.  WoW has no release date and a very limited beta at this point with no set plans for an open or preorder beta yet.  Or I should say limited in proportion to the amount trying to get in.

I would like to hear about the game, but please shut off the damn fanboi-ism.  It is fucking grating and annoying, and in the end makes me dislike the game more.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 31, 2004, 10:01:39 AM

Quote from: angry.bob
Quote from: Mesozoic

I'm the one whining for "30-minute content."  Perhaps you have your geologic eras confused.

I took your vehement opposition to any sort of player-driven conflict to mean you were in the leveltastic Raids-R-Us camp since the exclusion PvP or AvH would leave nothing else for the end/metagame except 1) Leveling until the soft cap meant you would never hit the next level and 2) Raids. As big a fan of 30-minute content as I am, there does need to be something more to do than an endless series of short quests - besides f*ggy raids. Because when you boil the fat from the meat there is no way even a “hardcore” casual player who’s normal gameplay session lasts a few hours every night is going to have the connections to participate in one.

See, this is more about your misconception of PvEers than it is about me.  ;)  As for my "vehement opposition to any sort of player-driven conflict," thats just not true.  I just don't want to get bravely ganked by a 55 Mage while my Druid gathers herbs.  Not wanting non-consensual PvP does not mean that I want "faggy raids," whatever that means.  

I want engaging quest content to experience with friends and new acquaintances.  A good proportion of those quests have to be able to be done quickly, because I'm an adult who rarely has 4-hour blocks of time to spend gaming.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Neph
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 31, 2004, 11:55:47 AM

Hrose, thank you for all this information. I was getting more and more excited about this game just reading about the customization. That is one of the main things I care about in a MMOG... looks. I want there to be some sort of difference between character looks.

The rest of the info.... man, so good.

The look of this game IS quite good, screenshots don't do it justice. When walking around the world, the combination of the ambience and overall look makes it is completly engrossing.

Love it!!

Your nightmares are real.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 31, 2004, 12:50:09 PM

A friend of mine who was also skeptical about the graphics style told me that they look much better when moving.  I can't imagine ever taking those gnomes seriously even if they moved like Baryshnikov, but hopefully he is right.  I need someone I know in D.C. to get in so I can go watch over their shoulder.  I can't believe I just wrote that.

I, too, am worried about the horde of assmonkey diablo types who may play.  Especially because this is a game that is easy to solo in, so there is not much in the way of community standards enforcement.  Mandatory grouping, enormously long treadmills and organized raiding may suck ass, but they have proven to be a better (if accidental) mechanism to enforce player justice than any other.  Anyway, hopefully the monthly fee will keep them out, and most of the rest will voluntarily segregate themselves in the PvP server ghettos.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #89 on: March 31, 2004, 02:42:32 PM

Quote from: Censorship

For now I don't know. They seem like in the usual mmorpg. The point is that I played these three days absolutely alone, like if it was WoW RPG. I explore the world and do things, go questing on my own. Sometimes I could go to a mine and meet other players there, cooperating to go inside (since these spots are defended). I've met friendly peoples offering equipment and so on.

The game doesn't ask you to be an ass. You don't need to fight for spots or to fill indispensable roles in a party. The game simply doesn't need you to be a problem for someone else. You play in awe, along with everyone else.

The way you play this game is completely different from any other mmorpg to date. It still based on the same ideas as always but you finish to live in here as an "experience", not as a treadmill to reach a point. It is a lot more near to a single player rpg with a multiplayer addition than a mmorpg.

Players around you just add to your enjoyment, making the game more alive and friendly.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 01, 2004, 09:36:12 AM

There are tons and tons of different things to wear, and many slots. All these things have a personalized texture.

Welcome to the primary reason early AO lagged like hell when you were in a populated area. That there is going to suck when the flood gates open, even if it looks cool now.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Endgame Quote  
Jump to: