Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: They are coming... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: They are coming...  (Read 42341 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: July 24, 2007, 06:53:27 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:54:52 AM

Wake me up when they get here.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:00:59 AM

Wake me up when they get here.

Heh, not even sure what it is, but thats an official SOE/Planetside video. We should all know after the fanfare.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:08:33 AM

That's officially a stupid movie to release.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:46:57 AM

What? no guesses as to what it is?

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 11:24:58 AM

It's an attempt at guerrilla marketing a la "Pattern Recognition". It doesn't matter what it's about, since it's already been demonstrated to work (made it here didn't it?).

Rumors of War
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:30:46 AM

It's an attempt at guerrilla marketing a la "Pattern Recognition". It doesn't matter what it's about, since it's already been demonstrated to work (made it here didn't it?).

heh.

From what we were told (and yeah i'm a guerrilla) the video is part of a real.. International marketing campaign..as in, through "real" channels, not just the web.

As to what it is that the video is hinting at... is the question, and it does ave the PS community guessing.

Aslo, there is more (Videos) coming , at least, thats what they say...

EDIT: the thing they keep pushing is "They", and the last symbol in the vid has people speculating...4th empire..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:43:01 AM by Mrbloodworth »

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 01:00:00 PM

Didn't some alien race create all the technology being used?

If there was another Planetside Expansion, with new features, I'd pretty much resub and run with it.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 01:04:40 PM

Didn't some alien race create all the technology being used?

If there was another Planetside Expansion, with new features, I'd pretty much resub and run with it.

Yes. The Vanu.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:32:37 PM

Shit.  This almost makes me want to resub.  Here's the catch though ... if they are going to introduce a 4th empire for people to select, I might as well wait until it's available and start playing from BR1 then.  But aren't they already having a problem with enough people on all three empires to make a good battleground across the world?

I may very well resub again until I get so pissed I quit.  But that's how fond I am of the game and its potential.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 01:37:15 PM

Shit.  This almost makes me want to resub.  Here's the catch though ... if they are going to introduce a 4th empire for people to select, I might as well wait until it's available and start playing from BR1 then.  But aren't they already having a problem with enough people on all three empires to make a good battleground across the world?

I may very well resub again until I get so pissed I quit.  But that's how fond I am of the game and its potential.

Currently, we do not know what that video means, there are many guess but no answers, until after the fanfare. But if you take a look, i posted a link to free 30 day trial keys in this forum.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:41:39 PM

Well whatever it is it better be worth it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 06:46:55 AM

More caves?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:11:16 PM

It doesn't make any sense in the context of what Planetside has been, but my money is on NPC enemies of some type.

I have never played WoW.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:09:14 PM

Or... They will combine the original 3 empires into one... and make it a 2 sided fight.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:27 AM

Or... Add the alien Vanu as PVE opponents to fuck up the whole applecart.

The original game plan for PS was to have PVE elements that could hamper or help smart commanders in base caps. Imagine stampeding a herd of wild animals through your enemy's armor columns.

Anyway, I'll take any of the three possibilities. A fourth, playable empire, a combining of human forces to fight the aliens (though, honestly, this is my least favorite of the three) or PVE content. (Which, of course will piss some people off to no end... a bonus reason for me to dig it.)

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 10:53:56 AM

If they add a fourth faction, the game's fucked.  Everyone's gonna run over to join the new guys with the new stuff, the original three are going to have completely insufficient numbers to fight against the fourth, and the fourth is going to just roll over everything through sheer zerg weight.  If they made the new guys some alien invaders and combined the three originals to fight them, well, even then the new guys would probably outnumber the originals, but it wouldn't be by nearly as much.

If they add a fourth faction, they'd better be giving triple XP for killing them to provide some kind of incentive for people to play the older factions, or they'll have simply destroyed the game.  (Alternately, make it so the Fodderside people can't join the fourth group, forcing the froobs to fill out the ranks of the original factions while the paying players get the shiny newness.)

If they fuck up everything and make it into a two-sided humans vs. aliens thing, there's no telling what the result will be.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 11:23:19 AM

Maybe that fourth faction will require a player to have reached BR25.  *shrugs*

I'd like to see something NEW, you can't have an active PvP game like this without new / revamped content, but there's already too few players that adding more areas to fight in would suck.

Unless they completely wiped the battlefield as it is and redid all the maps.  That'd be a nice change of pace.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 11:27:53 AM

I don't think its a 4th empire, for one, that logo looks like the old PS one. Also it would require more empire spefic equipment, and honestly, the sumtotial of all of PS equipment really does run the gambit, not sure what would be left.

Now, they are reactivating the reserves (Fodders), and one theory is, this 4th empire is for them, and they can advance as much as they want, but the empire only uses common pool items.

However, i do not think this is the case eather.

Nope, i am quite sure "They" is the phantasm, the galaxy gunship, and the reserves.

PS: They are talking about new maps, however seems the OG devloper screwed the game when he left, taking the maptools with them, leaving the current ones, uneditable.

The original development did allot of things wrong (In regards to MMO VS non-mmo), hence why it has always been slow to update, it was basicly created as you would a single/non-mmo game. No future thinking architecture. They didn't even have a scripting layer until recently (Its what powers the events).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:31:32 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 11:51:24 AM

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the bastards.

Here they come....here they come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqilfBesIR8
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 07:50:01 PM

I've done some running around after signing back on with the free month key, and unless 'they' is a big bag of awesome, I really don't see the changes so far as being enough to save the game.  The new engineering deployables are okay, but don't actually alter the game dynamic at all.  Replacing the Sunderer with a better-armed version is wise, but every time I've seen one it was targeted by everyone and destroyed in short order.  Galaxy drops are still almost non-existent.  And unfortunately the core problem with Galaxies and Sunderers has nothing to do with the vehicles, it's the fact that getting ten people to board one is nigh impossible.  If only the zerg would climb into the damn things, they'd be grand, but the zerg prefers to simply infinitely respawn at the closest AMS and run on foot to die and spawn again.

Sadly, the biggest flaw in Planetside is the playerbase.  The game can't force them to act together, so they don't.  And Planetside without teamwork is primarily a waste of time.  I was in a base last night, courtyard held by the NC, a few tanks and bombers could've cleaned them right off.  No tanks or bombers came, lost the base.  All we needed were ten guys to recall out, hop into Reavers, fly back, and blow the crap out of the courtyard campers, a little tiny smidgen of teamwork that never happened and could've spelled an easy victory.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 09:52:36 AM

The foot zerg is a huge problem though.  Practically everyone is specced to take down armor as an infantry and will do so with surprising effectiveness.  TR and VS can take down armor fast with just a couple people equipped with their Anti-Vehicular items.   One heat-seeks, the other fires a mostly straight line that is pretty darn good.  I know 3 VS could take down a BFR with Lancers extremely quick from very long range.  NC might have a tougher run of it, but I'm actually not fond of taking out vehicles when they are trashed so fast.  You can kill maybe 1 or 2 infantry in a heated battle before you have to pull back or your tank is toast.

But I do feel like bombing some bitches now.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:04:06 AM by Lorekeep »

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 09:53:29 AM

Too late in the day to be making mistakes like hitting Quote instead of Modify.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:04:35 AM by Lorekeep »

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 09:55:23 AM

As a lib pilot I can attest that they are under-utilized, but that is largely because no one wants to tail gun them and without a tail gun, the lib is quite vulnerable to enemy aircraft. A good lib pilot can beat a bad Mosquito pilot one on one though.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 10:46:35 AM

As a lib pilot I can attest that they are under-utilized, but that is largely because no one wants to tail gun them and without a tail gun, the lib is quite vulnerable to enemy aircraft. A good lib pilot can beat a bad Mosquito pilot one on one though.

Yeah, but like Kitsune said, Teamwork would solve this issue, a few mosquitoes, and wasps guarding you would be helll.

However, outfits makes all the difference, while the "zerg" may not be organized, outfits tend to be, so a good outfit and some VOIP really change the game experience.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 11:41:35 AM

Same "fix" as needed for Battlefield or any other online shooter with teamplay options. People r broken. People with teamspeak, less broken.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 12:10:08 PM

Same "fix" as needed for Battlefield or any other online shooter with teamplay options. People r broken. People with teamspeak, less broken.

I don't know, when i play BF, or CS or Quake, teamwork seems to not be a requirement (Due to game mechanics)... Unlike planetside where its the key to success (Due to game mechanics). Guess i am trying to say, its the mentality from those game, where teamworks means really nothing, that has come over to PS that is a Team based, combined arms game. Conversely, its choking the gameplay. Alot of it stems from "Session based" ideal being added to planetside, such as K/D bar.

But i digress..

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 01:22:22 PM

Have you played Battlefield with a clan and voice comms? There is no substitute, and if someone was dumb enough to try to zerg a coordinated team, the results are as bad or worse than in PS.

-2pts for lumping Quake in there, champ.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 01:34:49 PM

LF Good Outfit on Vanu Markov.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 01:37:15 PM

Have you played Battlefield with a clan and voice comms? There is no substitute, and if someone was dumb enough to try to zerg a coordinated team, the results are as bad or worse than in PS.

-2pts for lumping Quake in there, champ.

Nope, i play on a Lan however... But i'm talking about the average player of those games... All i see are large groups of people,.."Zerging" around with no coronation, etc.. I still see way more teamwork ETC in PS then i ever have in those games.

It all about head shots, and kills... no one cares about the objectives, because they reset. Whats it matter? I am sure it vary's from server to server... but all i ever see is lots of abusive chat, jumping, heats shots, and lots of people running around doing there own thing.

I listed quake as an example of no teamwork required. (not including variations), its just a frag fest, like the rest.

They are great games, and i like to play them, i just think the mentality is somewhat different, and some of it has seeped into PS over the years (Players and Dev changes), watering it down, and causing what someone wrote above.

And note, my response to him/her was the same as yours, find an outfit, use VOIP, the game changes dramatically, and you'll know when you run up agents a organized outfit.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 02:00:21 PM

The only difference is that PS has the clan servers and pub servers all playing simultaneously on one big server.

Quake is so not like all the rest I'm not even sure you know what you're talking about :)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 02:07:07 PM

When I played PS it was all about zerging for maximum EP. Hell the commanders on my side got pissed at you if you tried to blow up generators.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 02:21:12 PM

When I played PS it was all about zerging for maximum EP. Hell the commanders on my side got pissed at you if you tried to blow up generators.

All depends on who you play/group/squad/outfit with.

That (the don't blow the gen thinking) is a symptom of the lower populations, and more focus on kills and BEP. Dropping a gen will kill a fight, wasn't really an issue when there were ALOT more people on the servers (as in, its heyday).

Still a valid tactic in my book, as i don't play to pad my kill counts, its all about the encounters, large scale, and crazy crap that happens for me.

But yes, the Session based mentality, coupled with added emphasis on kills, ETC by the player base (and reinforced by DEV changes) is something i have never enjoyed...and always fought when changes came around. You used to get allot more for base caps, and next to nill for individual kills.

However, with the cert trees being expanded, i am hoping that there will be a return to the more team oriented game play, and specialization, we once enjoyed.

Quake is so not like all the rest I'm not even sure you know what you're talking about :)

It is in regard to what i was talking about.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:24:37 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 02:28:19 PM

... agents a organized outfit.
[quick derail]
Where are you from ?

(I ask out of linguistic interest, not to mock you)
[/quick derail]

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

... agents a organized outfit.
[quick derail]
Where are you from ?

(I ask out of linguistic interest, not to mock you)
[/quick derail]

Southern USA, and no, i have never had a brain for spelling.. i do rely on spell checker, but sometimes words are spelled correctly, but not the right words. That, and i have partial dyslexia (This would be why i edit allot). I am an artiest by trade.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: They are coming...  
Jump to: