Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Online only set: Masters Edition 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Online only set: Masters Edition  (Read 6265 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: July 20, 2007, 10:18:21 PM

Planned for an on-sale date of September 10th, 2007, Masters Edition is a 195 card, Magic Online only set of some of the greatest cards from Magic's past. All cards in the set have appeared in pre-MirageMagic sets and will appear with their original artwork and old-style frames.

Offered as a booster-only product, Masters Edition will be on sale for a limited time and then removed from our product offering. At least one month of notice with announcements here on the website and in forums will precede removing Masters Edition from the Magic Online store. Leagues, Premier Events and draft queues will begin offering Masters Edition product in events when release events begin on September 14th.

There will be a special Masters Edition-related Oracle update shortly before the product goes on sale.

Booster packs will be sold for $3.99 each and available in the Magic Online store starting September 10th.

Check www.magicthegathering.com for card previews starting Monday, July 23rd.

Masters Edition cards will be legal in the Classic format and any format that uses Classic to define card legality.

Breakdowns for rarities include 60/60/60 C/U/R, and the 15 basic lands from Alpha/Beta, with standard 15 card boosters. Collation will be 1(basic land) 10c 3u 1r per pack, similar to Tenth Edition collation.

Premium cards will be inserted at roughly the same rate as they are in Tenth Edition as well, at a 1:56 ratio.

This is an online only non-redeemable product.

Source:  http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/magiconline/article072007a

Should be interesting.  Will be nice to have the older cards to play around with.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:12:26 AM

*Gouge.*

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:33:25 PM

First official spoiler for Masters Edition was today.  Force of Will.

Will be interesting to see if they stay up with this level of power.  The general consensus is Wizards is trying to push out the necessary and powerful cards to make it possible to play Legacy online.  Especially since Legacy has been added to some of the Pro events.

I just want to be able to play a casual game with the Swamp-Dark Ritual-Hypnotic Specter turn one.

Edit:

Juzam Djinn is Tueday's card.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:02:15 PM by Johny Cee »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:58:37 AM

I just want to be able to play a casual game with the Swamp-Dark Ritual-Hypnotic Specter turn one.
My black weenie deck at home is filled with that. Spectors, Dark Rituals, Royal Assasins, Will o' the Wisps, Mindstab Thrulls, Hymn to Torach and about four variants on the Black Knight.

God I love that deck.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:13:09 PM

Masters is live.

Draft and League events start on Friday.  I'll probably draft a couple of 8 mans,  and maybe a League, just for kicks. 

I don't particularly see this format as being conducive to interesting Limited events.

On Monday, September 10 at 9:00 am PDT, Masters Edition goes on sale in the Magic Online store.

NOTE: Masters Edition becomes legal in ALL Classic-based Constructed formats the day it goes on sale (September 10). The Classic-based formats are Classic, Tribal Wars (Classic), Classic with Vanguard, Prismatic, Singleton, and Freeform.

Masters Edition Release events begin Friday, September 14 and will have 4 components:

Release Leagues
Premier Event Flights (2x and 4x Prizes)
Draft Queues
Release Championships (2x and 4x)

Masters Edition Release Leagues
SIGNUP: September 14, 9:00am – September 20, 9:00pm (the final 1 week, 2x league will start no later than 9:00pm on August 20). Release Leagues will have a maximum of 256 players each and will auto-spawn (as soon as a league reaches 256 players, another will begin registration).

LEAGUE DURATION: 1 week

PRODUCT: 3 Masters Edition and 2 10th Edition Booster Packs. (Note: Only Masters Edition leagues will start for the duration of the Masters Edition Release Events.)

ADMISSION: 2 Tix, Product

PRIZE SUPPORT: 2x prizes

All who participate in a Masters Edition Release League will get the Dakkon Blackblade avatar. Records of 5-0 will receive an alternate art Premium Promo Card.

Avatars and Promo Cards will be distributed Approx. 3 weeks after the last league concludes

NOTE: The regularly schedule downtime will still take place on Wednesday, September 19 at 8:00 am PST. Plan your league games accordingly as no compensation will be issued if you lose a game due to the servers going down for maintenance.

Masters Edition Draft Queues
QUEUES BEGIN: Friday, September 14, 5:00 pm.

FORMATS: Booster Draft

PRODUCT: 3 Masters Edition Boosters or 1 Masters Edition Booster and 2 10th Edition Boosters(Note: Only Master Edition and Time Spiral Blockdrafts will run for the duration of the Masters Edition Release Events)

ADMISSION: 2 Tix, Product

PRIZE SUPPORT: 4-3-2-2 and 8-4

NOTE: The regularly schedule downtime will still take place on Wednesday, September 19 at 8:00 am PST. Queues will be down during the downtime.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:30:26 AM

Played a league - as expected, this sucks balls.

Good idea for developing the classic format I guess. But the shortage of creatures and wildly varying power level of MED cards didn't make limited much fun.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 09:09:44 PM

Played a league - as expected, this sucks balls.

Good idea for developing the classic format I guess. But the shortage of creatures and wildly varying power level of MED cards didn't make limited much fun.

Strangely enough,  it's more interesting than Kami or Mirrodin leagues were.  Went 3-2 in one league,  in another.  Much of my goodwill might be due to pulling a Nev Disk, Armageddon, Pithing Needle, painland,  and multiple Poxes though.

Arty hate needs to be maindecked in this format.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Online only set: Masters Edition  
Jump to: