Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME? _ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME? _  (Read 20365 times)
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

on: July 17, 2007, 10:15:32 PM

I have been thinking of ways to turn brainstorming into a sort of competition.  Something like a mix between the GDC game design challenge and a drinking game. This is what I came up with.

Essentially what the players will do is design a game.  The design process will be split up into five rounds, in each round each player designs a portion of the game.  Each round the ideas are voted on by everyone (not just the players) and the winner of each round determines what that aspect of the game will look like.  From then on the players must design for the game that's already taking shape.

This sounds a little confusing but it's really simple.  Let's say that in the first round you suggest a fighting game with cats, but another player who suggests a puzzle game based on traffic patterns wins the vote.  Then in the second round you have to make up the gameplay for a game based on traffic patterns, not your game.  So you describe a mechanic “where the purpose of the game is to create congestion by...” and your idea is selected as the winner of that round.  Then each round from then on all the players must work with your suggestion as the basis for that round's design.

1)  Round one consists of the general theme of the game.  In one paragraph or less describe the essence of the game.  This is the easiest round of play but it sets the tone for the rest of the game.  The submissions in this round can range from "an MMO based on William Shakespeare's line ‘all the world’s a stage’.  In the game players are rewarded points for their ability to role-play" to something as simple as, "a firefighting game."  Think of this is the front cover of the game’s box art, or how somebody might describe the game if they forgot the name.

2)  Round two describes the general gameplay.  In one page or less describe the major aspects of gameplay.  If it's a puzzle game how does the puzzle work?  If it's a fighting game is it a 2-D, or 3-D, bloody, or tame?  If it's an FPS what weapons are there?  Etc. This would also be a good time to differentiate your game from every other game in the genre.

3-5) Round three through five are voted on depending on the results of rounds one and two.  I have come up with a couple categories but others could be suggested.

A)  Multiplayer / MMO gameplay.
     This is F13 after all.
B)  Gameplay specifics.
     Getting down to brass tacks about how the game actually works
C)  Teh shiny.
     Describe the game's art style and how it adds to gameplay
D)  Make it for the wii.
     Include motion control in gameplay.
E)  With a twist.
     Add an unexpected twist to the gameplay.
F)  FIGHT!
     Combat systems.
G)  Story.
     Turn pong into a Shakespearean tragedy.
H)  World design.
     Describe the world and map all the levels that the gameplay travels through.

The rules are simple, you have to play every round, only one submission per round, and you have to abide by the results of earlier rounds.  If you're not going to be able to deal with your first idea not winning, don't play.  (For the drinking game rules it's quite simple everyone who doesn't win the round drinks)

The timeline I am thinking about is one week for each round, with one week for voting in between each round.  It's a bit of a slow place but we all have other things to do with our time so I think slow and steady makes more sense.  (The drinking game is much more fast-paced and should only last an hour or so)

So there it is.  Is there anyone interested in trying this game here?  I think the coolest outcome would be a pros versus joes mixed group; our friendly neighborhood devs versus the local F13 riffraff.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:11:37 AM by koboshi »

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:00 PM

Not sure I follow the whole idea yet, but I'm up for it I guess :)

Rumors of War
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:41:25 PM

I like games.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:16:18 AM

pros versus joes mixed group

Tough to achieve. Most devs, except for Zepp, tend not to come in here, or if they do, they don't say anything about it. If they were to steal an idea from the board, they'd be in massive, massive deep shit. I don't mean taking a "suggestion" from a thread in MMOG Discussion, but rather, a new idea completely developed in this forum. It's just not kosher. It's one of the reasons this forum is segregated like the politics board. To protect people. Which is to say, I don't want to see that situation happen.
koboshi
Contributor

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:37:41 AM

You have too high an opinion of us; no one is going to steal shit from us.  And I really don't see any pros divulging their companies’ new secret game designs to win a dry-drinking game on the internet.  But just to put your mind at ease how bout we say:

The game design that's developed, and all suggestions submitted but not included, are no one's property and no player(s) may lay claim to any profits from sale of the game except in cases where they have added to the design/production of the game outside these forums.

IE if someone makes the game using the ideas put forth, you're not going to get a dime unless you help program it or something. I mean shit, that goes for anything anyone posts on F13, the game dev forum or otherwise. In the end the point of this little game isn’t to create a real game, it’s just to exercise the brain a bit. So devs ask your lawyers if you can come out and play for a bit. If not, at least come around to vote.

So now that Schild has scared all the devs out of the room I’ll have to ask again (that is unless Schild wants to draw up a proper EULA for everyone on the forums to sign before we continue).  With what you now know, does anyone want to play?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:41:00 AM by koboshi »

-We must teach them Max!
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:47:12 AM

Lets design game where players have fun. Here, now I'm privy to profits from any fun games that developed after this date.

As to my entry - Game is about forum drama. Its a PvP title where you engage in asshatery and acting out your inner nerd rage fantasies. Players get to choose from many classes, such as Troll, Ranter, Lawyer or Red Name and engage in captivating group combat with exciting class-specific moves like 'rattle the ban stick', 'threaten lawsuit' or 'post a chart'.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:54:50 AM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:55:56 AM

I vote for forum drama game, too, and I'm waiting for round 2 cause I have a few ideas about the specifics of it. 

It involves starting out with a pre-determined list of one-liners which you must carefully apply as responses to various posts, and you get forum-xp for doing so.  And if your one-liner gets someone all pissed off and they reply to it, you gain a forum-level, allowing you to design your own 255-character-limit one-liner to add to your repertoire.  At forum-level 20 you also get colors, and at forum-level 40 you get font sizes.  At forum-level 60 you get to add 1 picture to your repertoire, and at forum-level 80 you get the ability to type in one rant per month.  And finally, at forum-level 100 you can post a front-page rant.

Costs per post are TBD at this point, although they'll probably be in tune with what other games of this type charge.

EDIT:  thinking of this, I'm getting more and more excited.  Let's implement this, I wanna grind the Politics forum.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:05:25 AM by ajax34i »
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:15:23 AM

I'd play. I think I have some great ideas that I'd like to flesh out and see what other people think about them. This might be the opportunity to get some feedback and constructive criticism on my ideas.

I don't remember how to code shit though, considering I've been out of OOP for eight years. *shrug*

If you don't get anyone else to play, I'd be happy to do it through PM :o

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:15:29 PM

I'd join.  It sounds like it could be fun to me, as long as we're not taking it too seriously.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:42:01 PM

LET'S PLAY GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:01:28 PM

You have too high an opinion of us; no one is going to steal shit from us.

You haven't heard my ideas yet.  I'll be keeping my awesomeness to myself for now.  Anyway, isn't this how Geist and Horizons were designed?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 03:01:15 PM

I think making it a week long per session is too slow. I think 1 day per 'round' would be a more realistic time gap. Posting in a round could be optional. Or something like first X posts in a round get put into a voting poll that way there would be no time limit.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 03:11:53 PM

Why don't we just start the game?

:-D

koboshi
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 10:13:47 PM

Alright the game will start on monday. I'll make a thread for everyone's submitions only.  If you want to color commentate we can do a seperate forum for that I just dont want chatter between submitions making it hard to sort out peoples submitions.  only one post per player, but ninja edits are acceptable till the deadline.  Krakrock is right a week is a little too long but shit, I got things to do with my life, so submitions will be taken through wednesday and we'll have the vote on thursday through friday. I'll declare the winner of that round saturday morning, then (since no one reads these damn forums on the weekend) subs will be accepted staring on monday again. If the game goes faster I'll try to keep up by bumping up the deadlines though.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:17:13 PM by koboshi »

-We must teach them Max!
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 10:31:57 PM

Does it --have-- to include motion control? Also, if it is for the Wii, it has to have no patches ever. Doesn't that constitute problems with the MMO variety?

koboshi
Contributor

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 10:49:47 PM

After the first two rounds there will be a vote for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds which will be chosen from that long list.  So each game will only have 3 of the options, say round 3 is option F, round 4 is E,  and round 5 is H. so in the case you pointed out if we vote for the "adapt for Wii" challenge for round 3 we might not have the MMOG challenge for rounds 4 or 5.  Having said all that your point is kind of moot since you could still make it for the Wii and have multiplayer even if it doesn’t have massive or even simple online connectivity.

-We must teach them Max!
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 05:15:37 AM

Interesting, it's just like an actual "design by committee", where instead of making a name for ourselves and getting promotions we largely don't deserve we get bragging rights.

I'll play, I think your original week timeline was better then a day because my job often calls for me to travel and I'm afriad there will be times where I won't be able to respond in a day.  Three days, as a compromise?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 08:57:00 AM

I think I might try this - it should be interesting.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 11:20:57 AM

What sort of time frame are we looking at?

"Me am play gods"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 08:30:18 PM

submitions will be taken through wednesday and we'll have the vote on thursday through friday. I'll declare the winner of that round saturday morning, then (since no one reads these damn forums on the weekend) subs will be accepted staring on monday again.

I suggest posting these deadlines in the threads for the rounds as well as here, since people aren't going to go picking through this thread to find them.

You should also link to this thread from the first post of each round's thread, and tell people to post questions here.

(Just helpful suggestions for reducing noise in the round threads.  I'll even be helpful and move posts that aren't submissions into this thread.)

(edit: fuck it, I'll be extra helpful and add the info myself.)

(edit: and clean up some of that atrocious spelling while I'm at it.   evil)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:42:27 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
koboshi
Contributor

Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 09:35:07 PM

Thanks sam.

-We must teach them Max!
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
koboshi
Contributor

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 08:18:25 AM

hey, what happened to sinij's sub?

-We must teach them Max!
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:57:16 AM

Wasn't me.   huh

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 09:40:26 AM

hey, what happened to sinij's sub?

Should I feel privileged to be be discriminated against?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 03:51:27 PM

I have thrown the gauntlet.  Rawr.

(Also, sinij, you should resubmit your idea if you can remember it.  I'm guessing that it got eaten by a forum glitch or something, since if a mod had deleted it he'd have spoken up by now.)

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 04:42:38 PM

I have decided to enter this contest of madmen and deviants.

Let the smack-talking begin.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 05:43:59 PM

I like how the two people who posted right after me sound like they're just ripping off parts of my submission.   Shaking fist  (Although I'm sure that wasn't the intent.)

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 07:45:38 PM

I like how the two people who posted right after me sound like they're just ripping off parts of my submission.   Shaking fist  (Although I'm sure that wasn't the intent.)

Fucking hell, I didn't read your concept, now I have to change mine.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 08:16:06 PM

I figured.  That makes it even funnier.   :-D

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 09:13:21 AM

I take offense to that.  I clearly stole mine from Chrono Cross.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 09:59:23 AM

Mine is the result of a bacon-jalepeno quesadilla. Where they forgot the jalepeno part. So it was really just bacon and flour.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 01:53:17 PM

I have decided to not change my idea for I am too lazy and like my game's title way too much.

Battle of the pussy games!

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 02:28:14 PM

Your appetite is your own worst enemy. Due to an enlarged gland in your body, you're so overly empathetic and sympathetic that whatever you had for dinner becomes your own worst nightmare. You relive that animals dying moments every night when you go to sleep and each night you try your best to keep that yourself/that animal from getting slaughtered for food. What's worse is you live on a planet with no fruits or vegetables and you shop at a supermarket where all food is raised on farms as opposed to being free-range. There is no cure for your disease.

Dude, your idea blows.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 03:52:30 PM

It would add fun game play aspect if you could get into nervous eating in order to try to calm your feel of guilt.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 03:57:21 PM

I can't wait to hear more about these meat-based adventures.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME? _  
Jump to: