Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Distractions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Distractions  (Read 316408 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: July 23, 2015, 12:54:28 AM

Yeah, sounds like you're about a day ahead of me.  Even at my stage, coal is a massive pain in the arse.

Tradeposts get plunked down every time I can spare stuff to do so.  The plusses it gives you to constructed stuff is always, always useful.

EDIT :  oooo, Geologists. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:22:57 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #596 on: July 23, 2015, 03:40:13 PM

First calciner coming online soon.  Yaaaaasssss.  Fuck you, zebras.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:07 PM

Mate, it's not a good rate.  .0025 or some shit.   why so serious?

Basically, don't piss off the zebras yet.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #598 on: July 23, 2015, 04:10:05 PM

Fast enough to produce enough titanium for the second calciner in about an hour.  I'll take it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #599 on: July 23, 2015, 09:46:27 PM

Interestingly enough, nothing bad happens when you massively overspend your Catpower (11 Mints running, -33/sec catpower), in fact you keep generating Furs and Ivory at full speed. Everything else shuts down when you over-spend the underlying resource, but not Mints.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:11 AM

My Fucking Save Won't Import.  Not a happy Scot.

Yeah, I noticed that about Mints, but I didn't want to actually do it because I like my hunters too much.

Edit :  leading spaces are apparently Bad.  So that's all sorted.  Quick question tho :  if Mints don't need Catpower, what's the fuckng point of linking them to catpower.  If they DO need catpower, why the fuck are you hiring hunters to power mints ?  Are they security guards ?  Arg.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:50:29 AM by Ironwood »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #601 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:52 AM

Interestingly enough, nothing bad happens when you massively overspend your Catpower (11 Mints running, -33/sec catpower), in fact you keep generating Furs and Ivory at full speed. Everything else shuts down when you over-spend the underlying resource, but not Mints.

I bet that's a bug.  Useful one, though.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Aaaand after running calciners overnight, titanium is no longer a gating resource for anything.  Time to get all those stupid titanium workshop upgrades that seemed ridiculously unattainable yesterday.  Looks like steel is now the main block on most things (the only scarce resource I can't automate yet)...

(edit) Okay, that bug cuts both ways.  Or something.  I spent my furs down to 0 and now they're not increasing despite having +0.75 production.  Derp.  I think the bug is just with the displayed production number, not the actual resource quantity.

(edit) YAAAAY GEOLOGISTS   Yahoo!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:21:55 PM by Samwise »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #602 on: July 24, 2015, 08:21:21 PM

Well, I finally got the positive side of my Coal production and decide to retrench all of the storage upgrades I had skipped while all of my Steel was getting sucked into my industrial base, it got a little insane:

Code:
catnip: 331.02K /878.25K (+642.11/sec)
wood: 319.33K /1.26M (+190.86/sec)
minerals: 95.07K /1.70M (+167.98/sec)
coal: 4278.77 /51.24K (+19.59/sec)
iron: 25.50K /265.16K (+34.15/sec)
titanium: 2981.13 /16.30K (+0.05/sec)
gold: 841.42 /12.11K (+0.82/sec)
oil: 22.72K /27.03K (+0.26/sec)

That's with my Mints turned on, so my gold production is a little depressed, but you get the idea.

--Dave

EDIT: Trading with the Zebras is still the best way to get Titanium, but with over 600 trade ships I get around 20 per trade, average (I tend to do the trades in blocks of 100). And Science (or more specifically, attention to use it every 10-15 minutes) becomes the chokepoint on Compendiums and Blueprints, I have over 6000 Manuscripts backlogged.

EDIT2: Looking at that bug a little closer, it appears that what is actually happening is that your Furs/Ivory production is not actually as high as displayed, but exactly what it would be if your Catpower earned was exactly equal to the drain of your active mints. So you still squeeze out a little extra furs/ivory, but not as much as it looks like.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:37:41 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: July 25, 2015, 03:22:50 PM

What's this Biochemistry about then ?  Is it not a complete thing or what ?  Because there's no fucking way I'm making 500 Cpmd for something without even a description..

Also, I saved up 5000 parchments for Festivals and, frankly, fuck that.  I ain't hosting one of them, waaaay too much of a waste of paper.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: July 25, 2015, 03:37:14 PM

What's this Biochemistry about then ?  Is it not a complete thing or what ?  Because there's no fucking way I'm making 500 Cpmd for something without even a description..

Also, I saved up 5000 parchments for Festivals and, frankly, fuck that.  I ain't hosting one of them, waaaay too much of a waste of paper.

http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/wiki/index.php?page=Technologies#Biochemistry

It is the gateway for converting Catnip into Oil, and will let you speed up Unicorn Pastures (which come into play very, *very*,very late in the game, after you've built the Black Pyramid and opened up trade relations with the Elder Gods).

--Dave

EDIT: Festivals: It's a year-long 30% boost to Happiness, which isn't bad, but not worth the jesusload of Parchment at this point. Maybe later, when Festival-boosted Mints can regenerate that much Fur in a year.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:39:59 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: July 25, 2015, 03:43:43 PM

Odd, it wasn't on the tech tree, so I assumed it was just bullshit.  It looks good, but it feels like I've got it early somehow.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: July 28, 2015, 05:20:49 AM

Motherfucker.  Thank God I send my exports to myself as something happened and it started from the start again. And, no, not a reset, just a complete start. 

What a cunt.  That's about 5 hours up in smoke.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: July 29, 2015, 08:17:48 PM

Well, I think I am about to stall out on the Kittens Game, I've started on Space exploration and oil is the cockblock, you can reduce Oil cost with Space Elevators, but you need unobtainium to build the elevators, which you can only get from Lunar Outposts, which cost 1.75 uranium/sec to run (so you run it for 15 minutes, then wait 4 hours for your Uranium stores to recover). To get enough uranium/second to run the Lunar Outpost non-stop, you need the Planet-Cracker...which costs 125K Oil, baseline. You need buttloads of Tankers to get anywhere near that, and they cost 1250 Alloy, which requires over 90K steel. That gets you 500 more Oil capacity, and I estimate that I will at *least* 50 of them to get anywhere close, along with all the Oil Wells I can stand to build (they also need unreasonable amounts of steel after 40 or so).

You can reset with Paragon points (used by Metaphysics for bonuses) and Faith generation rates, but I don't think they will take the edge off of the pain (and I might have to re-discover Metaphysics to use them, which means I have to get to Lunar Outpost again the hard way before I get my bonus).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:20 AM

I got kind of annoyed when I noticed that it penalises you for having the window minimised or otherwise not in focus, stuff moves about half speed. Then I read the wiki and discovered there's Iron Will mode, where you don't actually get any kittens and I just despaired at some of the people that must be playing this.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: July 30, 2015, 08:47:10 AM

Some?  swamp poop
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:55 AM

I'm still enjoying it. 

Currently being told that I have buildings that will use Uranium and I can trade for Uranium, but I can't actually make Uranium.  So it's back to stockpiling science.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: July 30, 2015, 09:51:39 AM

I got kind of annoyed when I noticed that it penalises you for having the window minimised or otherwise not in focus, stuff moves about half speed. Then I read the wiki and discovered there's Iron Will mode, where you don't actually get any kittens and I just despaired at some of the people that must be playing this.
There's an option (Use Web Worker) that will correct that, essentially it's not it penalizing you, it's the browser not giving cycles to pages in the background.

Ironwood: Trade for 25 Uranium, build an Accelerator. Don't build anything else with Uranium until you can grow your own, it's too much pain.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #612 on: July 30, 2015, 09:53:43 AM

There's an option (Use Web Worker) that will correct that, essentially it's not it penalizing you, it's the browser not giving cycles to pages in the background.

fakeedit: that.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:42 AM

Ironwood: Trade for 25 Uranium, build an Accelerator. Don't build anything else with Uranium until you can grow your own, it's too much pain.

--Dave

Yeah.  I don't have Accelerator yet.  So.  Back to stockpiling science.   why so serious?

What I DO have is 116 kittens.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #614 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:18 AM

I'm up to 103, and I have 3 farmers feeding the lot.  Multipliers are crazy.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:25 AM

156, bitches. Fear my cute furry horde.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: July 30, 2015, 10:54:45 AM

You'll probably need more if you lose your aqueducts.  Which, be warned, is a choice thing...

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:15 AM

You'll probably need more if you lose your aqueducts.  Which, be warned, is a choice thing...
Keep the Aqueducts, wait for the opportunity to trade the Pastures for Solar Farms. Hydro Dams take such shitloads of minerals, when I wound up switching them back, I more than replaced *all* of the catnip differential out of my minerals in inventory (that weren't enough to build a third Hydro), and built enough Solar Farms out of my titanium in inventory to more than make up the power grid.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: July 30, 2015, 11:00:46 AM

That's the situation I'm in.  Farms came first, so I'm using them instead.  When I upgraded Aqueducts, the drop was just too much.  I mean, who the fuck wants negative catnip at that stage in the game Huh

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:10 AM

I have not yet had a problem with energy, I always have more from my Magnetos and Reactors than I need, right now I could turn my Solar Farms back into Pastures and still have enough to spare for a Moon Base and a couple of Space Stations. And the Reactors/Magnetos give production bonuses, the Hydro doesn't.

--Dave

EDIT: I did for a brief period, when I was having trouble finding enough Blueprints for Magnetos, which is why I built the Solar Farms. But now I have 16 Magnetos, 18 Steamworks, 10 Reactors, and a dozen Satellites, on top of the 20 Solar Farms, with shit-tons of stuff drawing on it I still have 94 Wt to spare. The bonuses from the power-generating stuff are so useful, I build them for that way ahead of my power demand.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:53:13 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #620 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:17 PM

I'm glad I haven't looked up spoilers for this game; I just tabbed over to the Workshop, saw the CAD and SETI upgrades, and squee'd.  So exciting.  Luckily I saw CAD before I'd crafted all the blueprints for my next science upgrade.   awesome, for real  Trying to get robotics and whatever that gets me up and running before I leave my game running unattended over the weekend; based on the description I suspect it will greatly benefit my "AFK to victory" strategy.

(edit) Shit yes, that was exactly what I've been looking for.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:57:12 PM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: July 31, 2015, 03:17:56 PM

SETI removes the most annoying thing about the game ever.

I'm currently idling where Mahrin is.  It's a pain in the bum.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:31 PM

SETI removes the most annoying thing about the game ever.

I'm currently idling where Mahrin is.  It's a pain in the bum.
Basically, the only way through is to keep piling up Space Elevators until the Planet Cracker is within reach, I need one more. In the meantime everything ground-bound has caught up to the point where I literally cannot spend the Titanium and Blueprints on anything useful (I may already have gone too far with Steamworks).

However, I've also started killing Unicorns, so that's a plus.

--Dave

EDIT: Finally got the Planet-Cracker running, now it's just painfully slow to get more space infrastructure, rather than mind-numbingly repetitive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:52:00 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: August 01, 2015, 12:06:36 AM

Whut ?  I've been killing them for AGES.  What kept you ?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: August 01, 2015, 12:11:12 AM

Whut ?  I've been killing them for AGES.  What kept you ?

Not wanting to sidetrack resources into a path that doesn't help me advance in this instance of the game, figured there'd be plenty of time later, when I could more easily afford to build a lot of Ziggurats.  While I was stalled out watching my Uranium counter slowly tick, I built 25 of them and then started summoning the many-angled ones. They haven't shown up yet, but I'm getting Unicorn Rifts and Ivory Meteors so often I filtered them out.

Anyway, punched through that barrier, have two Planet Crackers and two Lunar Outposts running full time, now I'm out of Starcharts.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: August 01, 2015, 02:17:16 AM

I thought that all the other resources were annoying, but I'm finding Oil the worst right now because you have plenty of things making it, but storage for it is just WRONG.  Tankers really need to be changed to be a bit more accessible...

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:16 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: April 06, 2016, 05:03:20 AM

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #628 on: April 06, 2016, 05:18:34 AM

More fun but the jerky motion of the interface as your snake crawls gives me eyestrain.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: April 06, 2016, 05:51:07 AM

More fun but the jerky motion of the interface as your snake crawls gives me eyestrain.

They got some lag issues afaik.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Distractions  
Jump to: