Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Another Emmert interview 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Emmert interview  (Read 3372 times)
Lanei
Terracotta Army

on: September 01, 2004, 12:51:56 PM

http://paragonradio.gameamp.com/news/viewNews/390.php

[Inhibitor] Well, as someone who got smeared by the Rikti about eight billion times at the end of beta, yeah, you kind of sneak up on us with these things. Lets go through and ... oh here’s one, let me ask this. Let me get this out of the way. Sev said hello, first of all, and then “Im wondering if you can give us any more clues as to what the non combat system is going to be.”

[Statesman] Well, the riddle that I’ve been telling for quite a while, in fact I spent all morning working on the design dock on this, is that if the heart of the hero is his powers, and the soul of the hero is his costume, then this system would certainly be his mind.

[Inhibitor] Oh great, now I won’t sleep tonight.

Gah.  Brain hurts.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 01:17:02 PM

[Statesman] Yeah, we are definitely going to be doing that, starting with expansion three. In fact, I was just writing up a bunch of stuff today on them, right before I talked to you. They are going to be ... we’re still toying around with the naming and terminology ... I have called them, in the past, prestige archetypes, or prestige origins, but I think but I think the best thing we’ve decided to call them are Epic archetypes. And the reason why is, not just because they open up at higher levels, but because they are related to the story of Paragon City. They are related to the mythology. It’s time that we started really exploring the universe that people are playing in. And hence, the word “epic,” who’s original meaning means story or tale, or saga.

Rewards for the true catasses. :)

[Inhibitor] Yeah, I know that’s a shock to you, but they do. How much did you guys rely on comics and on source material, not to copy the characters necessarily, but to make sure that some of the favorite powers and abilities were going to be included?

[Statesman] Well, that was the expressed goal when I created the archetype system, was to capture the essence of comic book characters across a wide variety of mediums. I guess I should say super heroes really. Whether it be novels or comic books or movies, things which, or television shows, what were the powers and abilities that people could recognize and readily grasp hold of, so that when they got into our game everybody would have a certain set of expectations of what should be in a super hero game, and we really wanted to focus on those. And we’re going to be adding to those power sets, as I said before, there were some ones that were missing that are pretty important. Sonic powers, shield, bow, quarterstaff, they are some of the things we need to add in there.

Quarterstaff..... yummy! That's what I wanted my martial artist to be all along.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 01:35:36 PM

OOO I hadn't seen mention of quarter staff  powers before. That would be an awsome scrapper set I would love to give one of those a whirl.

kaid
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 05:12:38 PM

I just want a new sword. Sticks are OK, but I REALLY want some choices of swords.

And axes. Battleaxe is one of the hand's down stupidest looking things in the game. I might even play my own fire/axe tank if she had something that looked like a real battleaxe, not something from the Wizard of Id.

Might...might not either, if we don't start seeing villains worthy of being tanked.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Another Emmert interview  
Jump to: