Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Trials? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trials?  (Read 23734 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 01:59:53 PM

I've enjoyed playing my brigand.  To get the most out of the class you need to move around a lot while chaining stuns and positionals.  Unfortunately, it's not terribly solo friendly unless you are willing to do many missions when they green out.  Numbers are the greatest enemy.

Just curious, what level is your brigand at?  The brigand I started was very effective as a soloer for a while and then dropped ridiculously around 20ish.  The same was true for the assassin - the 20's were very painful.  Late 30's though the assassin picked up big time and is now a very competent soloer, I was killing yellow ^'s bull crocs in Oasis of Mar with pretty much no downtime which meant I was soloing yellow con quests.

Brigand AA's seem tailor made for a strong soloer, I would think.  The sword and board line gets big defense and damage buffs (wis?) and the int line with it's 1 min 100% feign death seem pretty ideal.

I've ditched the brigand for the moment but I would go back if he was going to be a noticeably better soloer than the assassin with a little work.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 02:08:59 PM

I think I made it to the upper 40's on my brigand.  I had to farm gear and money with other toons to equip it and was eventually able to kill blue ^^^ solo.  Funny thing is that a group of 6 evens would wipe me.  Perhaps it was more a playstyle problem on my end than the class itself.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 02:44:32 PM

You know I'd really love to, as a nostalgic EQ player, explore the new environments based on the pre-existing EQ1 locales but not really have to actually fight any of the mobs or deal with all the crap that comes with modern diku exploration.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 06:23:46 AM

Just curious, what level is your brigand at?  The brigand I started was very effective as a soloer for a while and then dropped ridiculously around 20ish.  The same was true for the assassin - the 20's were very painful.  Late 30's though the assassin picked up big time and is now a very competent soloer, I was killing yellow ^'s bull crocs in Oasis of Mar with pretty much no downtime which meant I was soloing yellow con quests.

Brigand AA's seem tailor made for a strong soloer, I would think.  The sword and board line gets big defense and damage buffs (wis?) and the int line with it's 1 min 100% feign death seem pretty ideal.

I've ditched the brigand for the moment but I would go back if he was going to be a noticeably better soloer than the assassin with a little work.

I've got an 18 Brigand and also a 70 Swash. Both play very similar but the Swash has one major advantage. The ambush attack from stealth for the Swash has a 3 second stun attached. That means when you can open from stealth you can stun lock a mob for the full 6-8 seconds you need to kill most solo mobs. The Brigand had the cheap shot stun and I think one other but you still ended up taking a shot or two.

Still a bit early to compare though.

One thing to keep an eye out for though is level appropriate mastercrafted poisons. I think I was able to find the level 10 mastercrafted poisons on the broker for around 10s each. Those would one-shot most mobs pre level 15 when it triggered. At level 18 they still take a good 50-60% of a mobs life when they trigger.

Both of those classes are also VERY heavily dependant on combat art upgrades. If you can take all your damage arts to at least App 4 and one or two of them to adept 3 you will have a much easier go of things. If you leave them at App 1 you are going to struggle a LOT come level 20-25.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 02:51:04 PM

Recently bought EQII.  My main is an 8 necro but I heard an SK is good for farming instances.  Any suggestions about this two classes would be appreciated.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 04:00:29 AM

Recently bought EQII.  My main is an 8 necro but I heard an SK is good for farming instances.  Any suggestions about this two classes would be appreciated.

Haven't played much with the necro but took a Conjuror up to level 70 at one point. Pet classes are always good and can usually take on lower level heroics.

My SK is currently at level 31. You should be able to do lower level heroics but I've been 2-boxing with an inquisitor lately. The SK + Inq combo is fairly awesome. No problem with even level heroics other than a few named mobs.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 07:11:24 AM

My SK is also level 31, and I get pretty trashed by some of the heroics. I was stalled out of doing Harclaves because of the heroics near the end. I got most of them but then a group of yellow ^^^ heroics jumped me. That sucked. But my wizard wouldn't even have made it that far.

I don't do dual boxing. That's broken game design imo.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 08:05:23 AM

Some heroics are tougher than others.  and also what is a simple fight for one class is nigh impossible for another.  Tried to solo the Sludge Creeper (lvl 39^^^) in Enchanted Lands with my 48 assassin and though I was ahead of it most of the fight I just couldn't get my stun to land long enough to get off a big attack and so at the end it got in a couple hits in a row and I was toast.  I watched a lower level Necro pretty much handle that same mob without hardly thinking about it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 09:31:45 AM

For soloing, you really need to be set up pretty good to be effective. Thus my eventual, long-evolving plan to level up a couple guys with the intention of twinking out a necro that will be the character I actually play through most of the content with. So...that should happen by about 2016.

I made him an adept-level pet. Fire bat is so cool compared to the normal bat...but it's still the shitty, ineffective low-level pet :P
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 10:28:03 AM

I don't do dual boxing. That's broken game design imo.

I just started trying it. Been playing EQ2 since release but have only been 2-boxing for about a month. Since, my work laptop is capable of running the game, the new job has no restrictions on laptop usage, and I have access to my dad's account that he barely uses I figured I'd give it a try.

I've only done a little bit of the heroic content so far but you can blow through the solo content about twice as fast. The only bad part is that vitality just seems to bleed off way too fast when boxing.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 11:27:02 AM

For soloing, you really need to be set up pretty good to be effective. Thus my eventual, long-evolving plan to level up a couple guys with the intention of twinking out a necro that will be the character I actually play through most of the content with. So...that should happen by about 2016.

I made him an adept-level pet. Fire bat is so cool compared to the normal bat...but it's still the shitty, ineffective low-level pet :P

My assassin is pretty well set up, mastercrafted ebon or better for armor and weapons though I am a little lagging on upgrading to adeptIII's and masters as 1.5pp+ ea is a bit much for the wallet to support atm (prices jumped a LOT mid 40's, 3+ pp in spells every level isn't happening).  But yeah, masters on the CA's would have made the difference in that fight

As far as twinking goes I've had a lot of success selling harvesting rares and feyiron/carbonite clusters from the 20's and 30's on the vendors.  It takes very little time to harvest full stacks of feyiron or carbonite and they go for 15-25s ea so they add up pretty quick.  10gp for a stack of carbonite and 10 minutes worth of work is nothing to sneer at especially with the chance at a rare steel, feysteel or loam too.  Quests in Sinking Sands are delivering 5-10gp a pop now (one on the carpet quest gave up 25gp!) so that's probably a more efficient use of my time than harvesting in Zek/EL or TS/Nek anymore.  Harvesting in SS is riskier and less likely to pop a rare but probably equivalently more useful when it does too.

If you can get up to the mid 40's, Sky, you definitely owe it to yourself to do the Desert of Flames thing, lots of good solo quests there and it's all very well done.  In fact, if you have DoF I would recommend going to Maj'Dul early (late 30's or early 40's) and just wandering around for the easy exploration AA (and the collection quests!).  There are a few aggro lvl 45 street thieves and such though so it's not entirely a walk in the park but still it's easy enough.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 11:51:00 AM

I've had DoF for a long time :) KoS, too. I've just never accessed them because my two characters are 31 and 30. I'll probably continue to focus on the Shadowknight when I return this fall. Might even return earlier this year, after I finish up Gothic 3.

His bottleneck, iirc, is crafting up armor. His armor is getting pretty shabby and when we last saw him he was in the enchanted lands harvesting like mad. I was getting shafted on metal spawns, it kinda sucked. Usually I'll throw on the ipod and spend a couple nights (which is to say a couple hours at best) harvesting up everything under the sun (because all my alts are crafters, too), but that was getting ridiculous.

I'd probably be higher level if I hadn't had combat experience turned off for a month or so. I've already outlevelled most of my armor (mostly 20 class armor quest, except the chest I couldn't solo at 31) and I'm way past outlevelling all my CAs, so I need to craft up my tradesperson for that, too. I made some decent dough right near the end of my last playtime, might have a couple dozen plats now.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 11:53:57 AM

Sky,

Unless you REALLY enjoy the crafting game, I'd suggest you just buy what you need.  I leveled an armor crafter up and found that unless I was making armor for a guild, it was actually cheaper to just buy the armor I needed.  Of course, the freedom to make what you want when you want is still priceless. 

I'm thinking about playing again.  I've got a Brigand, Inquisitor, Warden, and a few others in the 30-50 range.  I'm debating starting from scratch just to try a new class.  Any suggestions?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 01:39:42 PM

MOST crafting isn't bad. Armorcrafting is a hot stick in the drawers. A swift stitch in the bush. It sucks because you get maybe two or three non-rare recipes per level, so you have to grind it out. Most other crafts have a bunch of stuff you can get first-craft experience from (mostly spells/CAs) or are grindy but useful (provisioner). Armor I was cranking out shitty piece after piece to sell back to the vendor for dirt.

I don't mind crafting too much, as I said I usually throw on the ipod and do some critical listening, zoning out on the game. But armorcrafting...weaponcrafting was getting pretty bad, too, but I think I'm still early 20s in weapons, whereas I'm early 30s in armor.

You might want to hold off starting from scratch until Kunark launches, eh? I'll probably roll /another/ alt at that point.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 08:42:01 PM

I'm thinking about playing again.  I've got a Brigand, Inquisitor, Warden, and a few others in the 30-50 range.  I'm debating starting from scratch just to try a new class.  Any suggestions?

Troubador or Dirge, the bards are defintely worth a try.  I tried a troub just for kicks and levelled to 70 pretty quickly.  Super-efficient soloer on blue con mobs, always brought lots to a group (whether the group knew it or not), and always a required class when raiding. A troub can solo most named green heoric content using patience and a mez.  So whatever your play style needs are, the bards are pretty flexible.  The run speed buff makes a huge difference throughout the game.

Illusionist is another solid class to try. The combat is a bit more strategic and interesting.  Solid DPS and one of the best solo classes in the game.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 04:09:10 AM

I don't mind crafting too much, as I said I usually throw on the ipod and do some critical listening, zoning out on the game. But armorcrafting...weaponcrafting was getting pretty bad, too, but I think I'm still early 20s in weapons, whereas I'm early 30s in armor.

You hit on the two absolute worst crafting professions as your two choices (discounting transmuting and tinkering that is). Armorer and weaponcrafter are far and away the two most painful. Tailoring and woodworking are up there as well but at least tailoring has more recipes and woodworking has ammo and totems. Carpenter can be bad at times as well but they are at least the best writ runner so you can grind writs for money and exp.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:00:04 AM by UD_Delt »
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 06:10:54 AM

I have a 70 weaponsmith, and boy was it a painful process.  I didn't sell a frickin thing, just weaponsmithed to gind writs.  Alchemist or Jeweller are the way to go for sure.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:03:59 AM by Bandit »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 07:39:21 AM

Troubador or Dirge, the bards are defintely worth a try.  I tried a troub just for kicks and levelled to 70 pretty quickly.  Super-efficient soloer on blue con mobs, always brought lots to a group (whether the group knew it or not), and always a required class when raiding. A troub can solo most named green heoric content using patience and a mez.  So whatever your play style needs are, the bards are pretty flexible.  The run speed buff makes a huge difference throughout the game.

Illusionist is another solid class to try. The combat is a bit more strategic and interesting.  Solid DPS and one of the best solo classes in the game.

I've grouped with a few bards now, good class to have around.  Buffs, solid dps, down time mitigation and some crowd control.  Very solid class, very rare too.  Illusionists are also pretty rare and competent ones are even harder to find.  Most of the ones I've grouped with you don't even know they are there because they skip doing any CC and just focus on DPS so unless you check you think they are a wizzy.  The couple of good Illusionists/Coercers I've seen around usually also have to spend a lot of time teaching the group how to deal with CC because it is so rare in EQ2.

Warlocks are amazing in a group, the AoE's make most multi-mob fights feel too easy in fact.  Of course, Warlocks also tend to need a lot of mid-battle rezzes but I think that might be mostly due to player incompetence.  Necros, as in EQ1 are jack of all trades and master of DPS.  Heal a little, CC in a pinch, DPS, pet tank and etc.  They only thing they are lacking is travel enhancing utility.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 09:26:12 AM

My illusionist rocks, I need to get back to him at some point, too. I've never played one before, but I've played with enough in EQ to know the importance of learning to utilize the mez lines to the hilt. Sometimes I'd just lock down some mobs for fun to practice. The pet is a bit tougher (iirc, it's been a while) to control than the my necro pet in EQ was. Still, a really solid class.
You hit on the two absolute worst crafting professions as you're two choices.
I have every crafting profession covered :) My provisioner is in his 30s, the rest are in the 20s (except the armorcrafter, as I said).
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 18, 2007, 12:35:20 PM

You might want to hold off starting from scratch until Kunark launches, eh? I'll probably roll /another/ alt at that point.

Shoot me a PM when you do (server too!).  I find that leveling is more bearable if you actually know someone that is going through the same thing... again. 

-  Mark Twain
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 18, 2007, 12:50:04 PM

I am also down with starting a new character once Kunark launches as well.  Count me in.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #56 on: July 20, 2007, 08:35:11 AM

I had an illusionist early on, (before the class 1-20 revamp thing).  They were great for grouping, but a PITA to solo...  what changed?  I never recall being anything like 'solid DPS'.  I thought they played a lot like an EQ1 enchanter.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 20, 2007, 08:56:20 AM

Illusionists have been revamped quite a bit.  I am not sure what "early on" was for you.  Did the illusionist have  a pet when you played?  That alone increased solo-ability of the class exponentially.  The pet combined with mezzes and stuns makes soloing green and blue heroic content quite easy - with solid strategy and patience.  The additions of AA's has also pumped up the DPS to acceptable levels.  We are not talking to tier Scout or Mage DPS, but enough to make soloing effective.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 20, 2007, 11:13:07 AM

Illusionists have been revamped quite a bit.  I am not sure what "early on" was for you.  Did the illusionist have  a pet when you played?  That alone increased solo-ability of the class exponentially.  The pet combined with mezzes and stuns makes soloing green and blue heroic content quite easy - with solid strategy and patience.  The additions of AA's has also pumped up the DPS to acceptable levels.  We are not talking to tier Scout or Mage DPS, but enough to make soloing effective.

Hrm.  I don't remember a pet.  Mostly, everyone loved the power regen and power-drain powers I had, as an enemy without power was much much less annoying, and waiting on power sucked.  CC was good too.  Outside of groups, I remember doing some root-rotting and stun-nuking type things, but that it was always rather scary.  I played a warlock, too, and he could just destroy stuff.  Those guys peaked out about 25, though... I had an SK get to the low 30's, but wasn't overly impressed with him at the time.

'early on' for me was from release to about 1 year.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 20, 2007, 12:07:01 PM

Well, yes a pet has been added and DPS has been buffed for illusionists.  However, power drain has been pretty much completely nerfed, especially on heroics. Niot really a viable tactic anymore.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 23, 2007, 08:17:24 AM

Well, yes a pet has been added and DPS has been buffed for illusionists.  However, power drain has been pretty much completely nerfed, especially on heroics. Niot really a viable tactic anymore.

Heh.  Power Drain was almost broken anyhow.  (As in, OMG that's powerful.) Drain all the power out of a boss, he stops the killer special moves, and becomes just a hard-hitting rat with more HP and a different model.  My regular group loved me, but it was still tough to get pickups, because people didn't realize what an illusionist could do... Most people were expecting EQ-Enchanter style stuff, and Illusionist mez just wasn't that effective.

I keep being tempted to restart EQ2 or CoH, since I'm between MMOs ATM, aside from NDA .  I have a scrapper who's 46 or so, I'm tempted to try to get him to 50 just so I can unlock the other character types (the transforming lobster/squid aliens).  The new I9/I10 patch stuff looks neat.  On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good improvements to EQ2 since I played, it might be neat to give it another go.

--
Alkiera

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 26, 2007, 09:31:22 PM

The patch server seems to have multiple personality disorder...  It varies from file to file, how fast it will pull down data.  I wish fewer files were on the 'slow' server... this download has been running for about 24 hours now, with a brief break of a couple hours this afternoon.  It claims it has 4.5 hours yet to go.

It's nuts that on top of having a short trial period (7 days?  come on.), you end up spending a non-trivial portion of it just watching the download progress.

--
Alkiera

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 27, 2007, 06:10:17 AM

Can't say I can sympathize with you. Never had a problem with any SOE update, even patching EQ2 from the beginning - and I believe that was 6 hours in total.  I might resub sometime soon to EQ2, so I will see if that has changed.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 27, 2007, 11:09:45 AM

It's nuts that on top of having a short trial period (7 days?  come on.), you end up spending a non-trivial portion of it just watching the download progress.

"If you would like to continue playing any characters you may have made"

But I didn't get to make any characters! I patched and then had to do something else for a while. I guess I could make another Station account, but my will is sapping away as I write this post. You really don't want me to play your game, do you, SOE?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 27, 2007, 11:22:34 AM

Hadn't seen that problem when I did the play the fae trial before this latest stint.  I don't recall the entire download taking any unreasonable or unexpected amount of time.

Did you check to see if they had a topic on this issue at the official boards?

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 03:20:05 AM

Well, "for a while" meant "one or two weeks", so I was kinda expecting it.

Why they couldn't make it 7 days and 14 hours played trial, I don't know. Must be some old-school thinking still going on at the EQ2 team.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 03:55:08 AM

Yeah, what I didn't like about Play the Fae is that I had to create a new Station account for it. Initially it told me "your trial has expired" because my Station account had played the old Trial of the Isle demo. That seems kind of careless on SOE's part, given they want to show people who didn't like it before that they might like it now (not that I like it at all).
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: July 28, 2007, 04:04:03 AM

Yeah, what I didn't like about Play the Fae is that I had to create a new Station account for it. Initially it told me "your trial has expired" because my Station account had played the old Trial of the Isle demo. That seems kind of careless on SOE's part, given they want to show people who didn't like it before that they might like it now (not that I like it at all).

I'm gonna point that out to SOE. It's an interesting complaint as the game has changed so completely.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 28, 2007, 10:45:06 PM

The patch server seems to have multiple personality disorder...  It varies from file to file, how fast it will pull down data.  I wish fewer files were on the 'slow' server... this download has been running for about 24 hours now, with a brief break of a couple hours this afternoon.  It claims it has 4.5 hours yet to go.

--
Alkiera

I had the same issue when i downloaded the client to my laptop. After 2 days I gave up and took it to work where we have a 1gb t1 line. It went much faster there.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 30, 2007, 02:55:50 PM

The weirdest thing was that it varied from file to file... size didn't matter, it's like the patch server connections were round-robin, and I'd occasionally randomly pull the stupidly slow box for one file.  Then it'd be very fast for a few, and then slow again.  It was nuts.

I haven't checked the forums.  I did log in an play an illusionist to 10.  That was pretty fun.  I'll prolly log in again tonight, if I can, and see if I can access global channels in other games.  (like in EQ, you can chat cross-server by joining bristlebane.channelname when you're on Firiona Vie...  I'd heard it worked across games, too.)

--
Alkiera

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Trials?  
Jump to: