Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Eating bugs bad for you? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eating bugs bad for you?  (Read 3863 times)
kidder
Terracotta Army

on: September 01, 2004, 10:07:04 AM

I don't watch this show normally, but I did catch an MTV spring break episode a year or so ago, where the contestants were drinking bile and eating intestines.  I also chanced upon an episode while channel surfing once, where a guy was trying to eat screaming cockroaches and cut his tongue on their hard shell when chewing it up.

So I heard about this stunt from the last fear factor, "The Grab and Grind."

Where one person lays under a tray of bugs, worms, roaches and other squirmy stuff with their mouth directly under a meat-grinder.  The other person picks up mouthfulls of the bugs and spits them into the grinder and then cranks the grinder.  The person underneath has to catch the ooze in their mouth.  I'm not sure how they win, but I don't think they actually were suppose to swallow it.

Here is the linky:
http://www.nbc.com/Fear_Factor/gross/424_grab_and_grind.shtml

Then I wonder if any strange new diseases will be born of these gross stunts.  Like: http://www.nap.org/pdf/origin.pdf

So I Google'd for an answer and found this:
http://www.komu.com/html/htmlPepper/HandoutMarch04Chastain.htm

Anyone have any theories?  Is the bug-eating for real on Fear Factor?  Or, does anyone even care?(quite likely)

Kidder
-I read forums.  Dur!
Pineapple
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 10:33:48 AM

From one of those links you provided:

"ERICA: Well, the first couple of pieces that came down were just kinda brushing off my cheek and I couldn't really catch it 'cause he didn't put a lot in there. After him taking three of 'em, uh, three big mouthfuls in there and grinding, that's when it started coming out and Joe was just like, "Keep it in your mouth! Keep it in your mouth! Keep it in your mouth! You know, fill it -- fill it up! Fill it up!". That's all I got to say. It's just disgusting for it to come down. Some of the pieces were really, uh, hard and they were hitting your face and in your mouth. Uh, ew, it was gross. It was gross. "

I really do not think TV could get any more stupid. Are we really this bored?
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 10:41:16 AM

QUIT WATCHING REALITY TV, and this inane bullshit will go the fuck away.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 10:44:37 AM

If Yakov Smirnoff were here, he'd say that in communist russia, television watches you.

thats' if he were here

unbannable
toma levine
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 10:47:02 AM

Next week they'll be going with the same bit, except they'll be grinding up puppies and kittens.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 10:57:20 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
If Yakov Smirnoff were here, he'd say that in communist russia, television watches you.

thats' if he were here

He's too busy in Branson.
kidder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 10:59:15 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
QUIT WATCHING REALITY TV, and this inane bullshit will go the fuck away.

I try.  It will not go away.  Reality TV is everywhere.  Someday it will get it's own channel like the "The Gameshow Channel", or "TV Land".

Quote from: toma levine
Next week they'll be going with the same bit, except they'll be grinding up puppies and kittens.

It is getting harder and harder to find something shocking.  Isn't it?

Kidder
-I read forums.  Dur!
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 11:05:51 AM

to answer your question and not rant and rave about stupid tv shows. All insects they have are farm raised and have never been exposed to the diseases you are thinking about so no they wouldnt be carriers of anything but yummy yummy protien and tasty goo.
We had to eat insects and whatnot in ranger survival training and even though they are teh gross they are surprisingly good for you.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 11:15:02 AM

Quote from: kidder
I try.  It will not go away.  Reality TV is everywhere.  Someday it will get it's own channel like the "The Gameshow Channel", or "TV Land".

The future is now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 11:21:22 AM

Quote from: Shockeye
Quote from: kidder

The future is now.

That doesn't look like 24 hour "Big Brother" or "American Idol." It looks more like 24 hour bullshit patriotic masturbatory documentaries about the firefighters at Ground Zero or troops we may have sent to Bratislava. Is that even a place? Either way, No.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 11:22:28 AM

Do Lesbian webcams count as reality TV? If so, I'd sign on for that idea next.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 11:31:18 AM

I know a few people who ate cicadas in various ways during our infestation of them early this summer.  Apparantly a lot of people did.  I passed.

As for eating ground up bugs on TV, well, that's one more wall between civilization and Japan that has been washed away.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 11:35:56 AM

I've seen Fear Factor and I have yet to see what the Fear is all about. Gag Reflex would be a better name for the show, and if you sold ad banners on the web site, your hits would be worth a fucking mint.

Imagine it, Gagreflex.com.

I will now go throw up lunch.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 12:05:43 PM

I'm hoping this will be on the next season of Fear Factor.

Here's an in-depth article courtesy of our friends at the BBC.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 12:08:51 PM

Quote from: Shockeye
I'm hoping this will be on the next season of Fear Factor.

Zee goggles, etc.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 12:10:12 PM

Agree, Fear Factor is mostly about doing gross stuff, with some physical prowess stunts in between, all while having the women show as much skin as possible.  

What kind of protective suit consists of heavy helmet, heavy buletproof vest, and exposed bikini bottoms, legs, and feet?  Also, they always sneak the odd underwater panty shot, or closeup boobies shot in there, and as far as I know they've never had an all-male team episode.

Plus, their male audience can have their thrills in relative privacy, since women will be grossed out of the room.

A winning formula, I would say.
kidder
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 01:26:45 PM

Edit: double post.

Kidder
-I read forums.  Dur!
kidder
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 01:28:01 PM

Quote from: DarkDryad
to answer your question and not rant and rave about stupid tv shows. All insects they have are farm raised and have never been exposed to the diseases you are thinking about so no they wouldnt be carriers of anything but yummy yummy protien and tasty goo.
We had to eat insects and whatnot in ranger survival training and even though they are teh gross they are surprisingly good for you.

Insect farms.  Is that regulated by the FDA?  Makes sense though.  Even if they get the contestants to sign release agreements.  If one of them contracted the next version of the Hanta virus, that release agreement wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on.  Farm raised creepy-crawlies would be the safest bet.

Kidder
-I read forums.  Dur!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 02:53:43 PM

For any of you with a fascination for this sort of thing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Eating bugs bad for you?  
Jump to: