Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: My first time in Unrest, CoV, OOB and Mistmoore Castle 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My first time in Unrest, CoV, OOB and Mistmoore Castle  (Read 5833 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: June 25, 2007, 07:37:33 AM

So the wife and kids are gone for a week. Guess what I did this weekend?

Crypt of Valdoon: single group instance in Loping Plains
Nothing particularly noteworthy, other than mobs that will pop out of the ground if you move recklessly. Dark and dreary look. Took less than an hour. 18 hour lockout.

Obelisk of Blight: single group instance in Lesser Faydark
Tougher than CoV with lots of mobs yellow to a 70. Mobs are densely packed, so cautious pulling needed. Plain vanilla layout and textures. About an hour, but we only cleared enough to pull the nameds. 18 hour lockout.

Mistmoore Castle: not an instance
Extremely difficult zone for a single group. We raided with 9 well-equipped 70s and wiped once. As tank, I died enough to  burn a repair kit. Magnificently true to the orginal in some ways, but bigger. Cloaked Damphyre is a 75^^^ invis mob. Mobs are densely packed and some encounters have 5 73^^s. Without mezz, we would have been obliterated many times. To get chests from the named, we had to break raid. Only single groups get chest drops from the non-raid mobs. Ventrilo/Teamspeak required.

Unrest: single group instance
Stunning. Amazing. It is a story zone. Anyone who played EQ1 will love it. No Hand, though.  huh  Festering Hag is a named in the torture area and she randomly teleports group members into the surrounding jail cells from which one needs a party member to escape and rejoin the fight. 18 hour lockout but the zone can be done in steps. Full lockout isn't triggered until late in the story. Garanel Rucksif is the boss mob again. No TTs or mushroom guys. The hidden pits and red pool are, though. Took more than 4 hours but I was getting the slow walkthrough. Usually about 3 hours but a group doesn't have to do it all at once.

I have never played WoW.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:33:14 AM

Unrest is very impressive, although it is a bit long for my tastes.  The heavy scripted encounters and problem-solving are a move to what I would like to see in future EQ2 dungeons.

Some of the cool things implemented in Unrest:

1) Battle with the goblin who randomly places bombs in peoples packs, people must check their packs while fighting them and destroy the bombs before they AoE everyone.

2) The cooking and piano events where one player in the group must finish the recipe/complete the song without being interrupted

3) The aformentioned festering hag, randomly teleporting people to jail cells

4) Fighting of dopplegangers (mobs who take on personas of one of the group members)

5) Scripting of the static and large skull as you near the boss

6) The mail recieved from the boss as you return home - very nice touch.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:41:15 AM

Sounds great.

My big update for the weekend was hitting 52 (thus completing my "highest mmo char ever" goal) and blowing the bank vault on a full suit of Cobalt.  I don't look like a noob anymore!

Also, joined Ritual of Reason, they seem pretty cool.  Going on mini-raid with 'em tomorrow.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:42:35 AM

That's the kind of cool shit I wish I could experience in EQ2. Fuckers.

My highest level evar was in WoW, my 58 hunter. 54 necro in EQ1. Nothing even close in anything since, 31 in CoH 34 in  NDA, 31 in EQ2.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:14:13 AM

That's the kind of cool shit I wish I could experience in EQ2. Fuckers.

My highest level evar was in WoW, my 58 hunter. 54 necro in EQ1. Nothing even close in anything since, 31 in CoH 34 in  NDA, 31 in EQ2.

Your close enough to try the revamped deathfist citadel.  I hear it is not too bad, but haven't actually been there since they have revamped it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:40:39 AM

In the last week I've done Ruins of Varsoom, Nektropos Castle and Deathfist Citadel.  Being in a guild as big as Fabled is good for competent pugs anyway, only one bad group member in any of my pugs with them so far.  Usually manage to get 1 or 2 mentored down 60-70 players to help out which aids a ton.  They don't want loot (usually) and know what the hell is going on.  I'd recommend Fabled for you Sky, they don't bother me when I want to solo, raiding is entirely optional and you get the benefits of a large lvl 60 guild.  When I applied all I did was open the Guild menu, hit the 'talk to the recruiter thing' and when he replied said, "I want to join." and he sent an invite.  No muss, no fuss, no weird application process.  Plus you get a window full of 'Gratz' when you level, which is nice (there is a guild wide message when someone levels).

Deathfist Citadel rocked, btw.  Very cool zone, took about 3 hours, lots of exp and lots of good loot.  A couple of fabled drops (I won a fabled bow and an earring).  We did wipe to Emperor Fyst enough times to break all my gear but as an assassin all I need is one weapon to do most of my damage, up until then we had been pretty much death free.  Nektropos Castle was very cool too, great story going on there with the sisters and their psychotic reanimationist father.  The Juggernaught rocked.  I need to do both again as I have open quests still on each of them.

At 31, Sky, you would want to do Ruins of Varsoom (In TS, there is always a pug for spamming for RoV) or Nektropos Castle (in Nektulous, again, lots of PUG spam).  RoV is not an instance until you get to the main boss (which is a fun fight btw), Nek Castle is an instance so you are guaranteed to get the whole story line when you go.  RoV and Nek Castle are both 30ish while DFC is 40ish.

I'm looking forward to doing Feerot and The Temple of Cazic Thule, I spent a LOT of time there camping rubicite back in the day and I want to check it out.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 10:53:19 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:45:16 AM

Hoping to play or mentor down as needed in Nek Castle, DFC or CT tonight, actually.  Haven't been to any of them.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:12:05 AM

I play Tyrisius on Oasis - if you ever need a 69 Mystic (well, 70 soon enough) just give me a /tell.  Mention f13 and I won't ignore you.

I just got back into EQ2 after an extended (and mistaken) VSOH run.  For the record, I quit EQ2 in protest after the tradeskill "overhaul."  Don't get me started, but to level up an armorsmith to 50 is no easy task - only to have all of that work erased in one patch.  Not even a reacharound.  (If you need a set of T5 or lower armor, I have no problem doing it at-cost.)

I also like the new zones, but, my god, Unrest kicked my ass.  I've never racked up so much xp debt in one night.  We had repair kits brought in at 2 a.m. because everyone was broken.  My healer-ego was tied up, beaten and murdered.  Our main healer went to bed and we were left with my two baby heals.  (A shaman who casts heal has failed his job, btw.)  I was zombified with exhaustion and the memories of ward agro and missed heals.  I passed out at six a.m. and haven't played my Mystic since. 

Now, that's the Everquest that I love and remember.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 12:50:48 PM

Yeah, see...you said pickup groups there.
I spent a LOT of time there camping rubicite back in the day
I had the first level 30 wizard on our server, and my normal group (we weren't a guild or anything, just friends from beta) was one of the two groups doing 'high level' content at the time. I remember a bit after release sitting in Unrest, just our two groups, for a couple weeks. They took one side, we took the other, great rivalry going, but friendly. We'd occasionally group with each other when we were low on people.

Then we hit Cazic and the game fell apart. Kill stealing and ninja looting ruined everything like crazy. Sold that wizard and didn't play for another year.

Thus the motivator I made a while back:

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 01:47:17 PM

Yeah, see...you said pickup groups there.

In guild or guild+friends pugs are a little different creature.  I see where your coming from but they really aren't the same bunny as standing at the door going, "Hey buddy, got some room?".  For one thing, there is a little more accountability for asshats/ninjas/incompetents.  Of course, you do have to deal with the occasional spat of guild drama.

Your call though, I like the EQ2 solo game just fine, there is lots to do and see.  Frankly, I got as much vendor fodder (adepts, tradeskill recipie books and tradeskill harvests) doing solo kills and quests in Zek as in all the Instance/dungeon stuff I did, more if I count rare harvests.  The EQ2 group instance stuff is pretty damned good though and it's a shame to miss out on it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 07:25:05 PM

Man, I forgot how TOTALLY Awesome waiting for a raid to start is.

Speaking of which, if any of you peep has a 50+, is going to be logging into Oasis in the next 10 minutes, and wants to hit up a small practice raid for shits and giggles, send Kelavere a tell.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: My first time in Unrest, CoV, OOB and Mistmoore Castle  
Jump to: