Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Looking for Planetside Experts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for Planetside Experts  (Read 30262 times)
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

on: June 09, 2007, 07:06:09 AM

Looking for Planetside Experts

I havent posted a whole big post about the game Im the lead designer of because not trying to hype at this point.
Short game description:
  • Post-apoc and Cybperpunk
  • MMO, FPS, RPG, RTS (Think Savage and Shadowbane
  • Computer hacking, drug creation, moddable vehicles and weapons
  • too much other stuff to list atm

Anyway Im looking for 1 possibly 2 people who not only know the game in and out, but also have some ideas for improvement. We arent just going to copy PS, since we already have our own ideas, but there'y always room for perspective from veterans.

If you're interested you can message me here or email me at anorris1@knology.net

Thanks

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 07:07:10 AM

Be more like Planetside than Neocron. Thanks.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:22:13 AM

Oh dont worry about that part. We have our internal dev forums set to change "Neocron" to "NeoCrap".

Played it. Hated it.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 07:59:00 AM

Curious as to why you only want the input of 1 or 2 other people?

But just to start....client-side hit detection = UNACCEPTABLE.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 08:12:46 AM

Well I wasnt meaning for the help to come from posts...I meant to bring them on the team. That requires a bit of effort (setting up forum accounts, signing NDAs etc). Plus it lets me make sure that the people are invested in the success they're contributing to.

Sure a thread about "How to Fix Planetside" would be great, but I was looking for something more managable and focused.  wink
Strazos

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:52:51 AM

As for vets here....off the top of my head, I'd put Zepp, Surlyboi, and Jimbo up first. Lanyssa too (I think that's the right chick from around here).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:02:17 PM

Hell, it doesnt even have to be vets...just someone who knows the game well and has some interesting fixes for whatever problems are perceived to exist.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 02:59:44 PM

Well I'm game for discussions, but I'm in the middle of 4 more nights.  I don't write or talk to well during that period, but message me and I'll help on some ideas/thoughts/whatever you want.  I'm more into the vehicles and how to use them, planetside is insanely fun on that point if you're in a colum that is working.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 11:32:39 PM

If you're a developer, shouldn't you have a big red name and what company you work for? :)

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 12:51:58 AM

If you're a developer, shouldn't you have a big red name and what company you work for? :)

Heh. He slipped by me. Still have no clue who he is though.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:00 AM

As for vets here....off the top of my head, I'd put Zepp, Surlyboi, and Jimbo up first. Lanyssa too (I think that's the right chick from around here).
Nah, I didn't play long enough.  I would still be considered a newbie.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 09:43:58 PM

Skill and Knowledge >>>> Time

Fear the Backstab!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 11:09:59 PM

Heh. He slipped by me. Still have no clue who he is though.

Peh, your google-fu is weak, old man.  Alfred Norris, www.conflictomega.com.  However, the feasibility of a project under a lead developer who seems incapable of waxing poetic about the project feels questionable to me.  The game projects that seem to succeed most often often seem to correlate with the projects who are run by guys who can go on for hours about some minor feature and seem genuinely excited about it.  Will Wright, for example, usually spoke at greater length about Sim City than 'you build a city and stuff' with every opportunity made available to him.

This kinda screams 'garage project' and 'never see the light of day' to me.  I wouldn't go so far as to say the d-word, but it seems to lack the fire that it takes to get a project of that scope finished.  Hopefully I'll be proven wrong; the world needs more good indy games.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 08:15:19 PM

Wow. Thanks for the "friendly" welcome.

I could very well "wax poetic"...hell the project is my favorite subject....but I'd get accused of overhyping. So Im damned if I do, damned if I dont. In fact, that's exactly what happened over at the NMA boards. I can talk for 2 hours a piece about each page in the huge-ass design doc. Pick a subject. Any subject.

Right now we do scream "garage project" - absolutely. But after meeting the guys at Wahoo Games at the Austin GDC and getting along so well with them (they believe in the project immensely enough to help us get funding) things are moving to the VC and Angel stages.

Im really not trying to pick a fight here, but your assessment of our project isnt really grounded in much knowledge or even educated questions. It's just conjecture.

The design is top knotch, but I always feel that I can make it better. Gamers always want to be listened to, but the moment someone asks for help or input you make condescending jabs.

The invite is still out there...anyone interested in giving some info would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:17:42 PM by DarkSign »
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 08:26:20 PM

Wow. Thanks for the "friendly" welcome.

I could very well "wax poetic"...hell the project is my favorite subject....but I'd get accused of overhyping. So Im damned if I do, damned if I dont. In fact, that's exactly what happened over at the NMA boards. I can talk for 2 hours a piece about each page in the huge-ass design doc. Pick a subject. Any subject.

Right now we do scream "garage project" - absolutely. But after meeting the guys at Wahoo Games at the Austin GDC and getting along so well with them (they believe in the project immensely enough to help us get funding) things are moving to the VC and Angel stages.

Im really not trying to pick a fight here, but your assessment of our project isnt really grounded in much knowledge or even educated questions. It's just conjecture.

The design is top knotch, but I always feel that I can make it better. Gamers always want to be listened to, but the moment someone asks for help or input you make condescending jabs.

The invite is still out there...anyone interested in giving some info would be appreciated.

Don't take it personally--F13 is guaranteed to look at anyone saying "we're making a game like XXX only better, want to help?" in an extremely jaded and aggressive manner--they were actually pretty easy on you here :) It's just part of the f13 "charm".

It's also one of the reasons I stayed around so long myself--because that's exactly how I came into the community 2-ish years ago, and got slammed by some, and had discussions about ideas with others ;)

Rumors of War
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 04:37:18 AM

But that's the thing...I was only asking for info on a certain game. I never said the munchkinism "I want to make XXX game, but better."

Our game has lots of stylistic influences: Shadowbane, Fallout, DeusEx, Savage, EQ1, ...etc the list goes on.

I suppose this wasnt as bad as the reception at NMA (espec since it was only one deluded individual), but Im proud of our project and will defend it from mischaracterizations.

Thanks for clearing things up though :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:54:33 AM

your assessment of our project isnt really grounded in much knowledge or even educated questions. It's just conjecture.
Hi, welcome to f13.

If you take the time to read some of this board, you'd know who the PS experts are and be able to pm them directly.

Do you have jetpacks?
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:27 PM

your assessment of our project isnt really grounded in much knowledge or even educated questions. It's just conjecture.
Hi, welcome to f13.

If you take the time to read some of this board, you'd know who the PS experts are and be able to pm them directly.

Do you have jetpacks?

See--Sky was being nice to you. He forgot the "Welcome to f13, you pussy" part.

Rumors of War
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 07:57:03 PM

Im not worried. The Codex and NMA are much worse than f13. In all my reading here I havent seen one tubgirl, goatse or lemonparty disguised as a tinyurl yet  evil
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 05:31:31 AM

That's because the admins actively delete the posts and ban the folks who pull that shit.  We've had it in the past and now we don't.  Amazing what Stalinizing the idiots can do.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos

Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 03:34:32 PM

Also, half the people here probably read from work. Having all that NSFW nonsense would kill the daily readership.

Fear the Backstab!
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 11:35:51 PM

That's because the admins actively delete the posts and ban the folks who pull that shit.  We've had it in the past and now we don't.  Amazing what Stalinizing the idiots can do.

One man's idiot is another man's...well lovable idiot. You run your forums differently which is fine of course. Just sayin his "blast" on me wasnt that bad. But I appreciated the peacemaking.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 07:18:20 AM

See? You ignore valid questions, anyway.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 04:13:18 AM

You're referring to the jetpack question?

No. There are no jetpacks.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 07:11:01 AM

I played PS for about a year heavily and lead 80 man armor/air/infantry raids on continents. If you want some info, feel free to contact me via my AIM on the left.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 05:02:18 AM

Thanks. Will do!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 06:58:15 AM

[...]I came into the community 2-ish years ago[...]

2 years already?!  Jesus.  You were more open then, starry eyed.  I thought it was refreshing.  Of course they slammed you good.  We can't have nice folks.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 07:04:26 AM

Hey, Signe's nice!

Until she eats your brain with her slavering undead maw.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 08:25:28 AM

[...]I came into the community 2-ish years ago[...]

2 years already?!  Jesus.  You were more open then, starry eyed.  I thought it was refreshing.  Of course they slammed you good.  We can't have nice folks.

Heh...yah, blew me away when I thought about it myself.

And yes, unfortunately, the "do unto others before they do unto you" rule tends to apply, although I like to think I've kept it in moderation ;)

And actually to be honest, my initial discussions were treated pretty well--it's just that damned Politics forum that always gets me blasted, so I stay away from it unless I need a giggle, then I tend to post...

Rumors of War
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 08:51:43 AM

Heh, not a lot of tolerance for variation of viewpoint in politics.  Which is fine, who really comes to a gaming site to talk politics?
Strazos

Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 08:18:03 PM

Depends on who you're talking to.

Fear the Backstab!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 06:30:43 AM

Heh, not a lot of tolerance for variation of viewpoint in politics.  Which is fine, who really comes to a gaming site to talk politics?

There's plenty of that. IF of course, you can produce a valid argument and not the standard, retread (retard) talking points that get trotted out daily by one side or another.

And I like talking politics everywhere except at the missus' parents' house.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Looking for Planetside Experts  
Jump to: