Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Dark Basic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Basic  (Read 2977 times)
Greenstick
Terracotta Army

on: June 05, 2007, 10:11:56 AM

Hey guys,
Does anyone have experience with the language Dark Basic? I ran across a book on it at a local book store recently and it piqued my curiosity. I've been an app programmer working in C sharp for a long time. I thought this might be a good "introductory" tool to let me play around with the basics of game coding. Any information would be appreciated.
lesion

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:46:10 AM

I used it extensively years and years ago, I would say it's perfect for playing around (keep in mind "BASIC")

we suggest giving the trial a go before buying anything http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

DarkEDIT is a less lolcaveman approach to the development tool

you can have simple things up in a page of code and, being as old as it is, there is probably a ton of documentation and examples on the site/forum

don't expect awesomeness!

steam|a grue \[T]/
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 11:59:22 AM

I've been an app programmer working in C sharp for a long time.

I feel old.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:32:43 PM

You'd probably be better off with Torque X since it uses C# as it's language.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:39:16 AM

You'd probably be better off with Torque X since it uses C# as it's language.

My job here is complete!

Seriously though--he's right. If you know C# already, look into Torque X--currently 2D (but that's the best place to start learning game dev), with 3D in development. Even though it's my company's product, I have no guilt in saying that it's an incredibly simple and clean, yet very powerful example of how game engines are structured.

The beta is free for 60 days (binary only, plus toolset, but you can write c# on top of the binary engine), and a source code version will be available for purchase at general release.

Rumors of War
Greenstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 01:15:06 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the information and I'll give it a try. I was actually hoping to stay closer to C # syntax.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Dark Basic  
Jump to: