Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:48:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Doub^H^H^H^H What the XP should be weekend 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doub^H^H^H^H What the XP should be weekend  (Read 21742 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 08:25:08 PM

Thanks for that Signe - I always wondered what the numbers were for red / yellow / green status in CoH/V.

nosfentor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 11:39:44 AM

CoH always struck me as the ultimate in Alt/Twink games. So many class variations, but levelling is such a chore. I'd maintain a monthly account if they'd move to a more WoW-like level gain speed.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 11:56:13 AM

How long does it take to go level 30->31 or 40-41 in WoW?

Because even in the really awkward bits of CoH it's only an evening or two with a pick up group? Is WoW that much faster?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 01:03:56 PM

Yes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 01:04:55 PM

I think WoW just seems faster because you aren't running into the same 4 instance types. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 01:28:40 PM

WoW also has rest exp and no exp debt for dying. On the other hand CoH mission dynamics allows for some really fast PLing with the right group setup (a la late levels Fire/Kin + 7 padders).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 01:36:07 PM

Oddly enough, I'm not interested in power leveling if I want to play a game.  And I'm happiest with small groups most of the time.

Neither of which preference is conducive to quick leveling.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 01:56:52 PM

Yes.

Well, I was actually looking for more of a number. Because people keep saying CoH should move through levels quicker, I'm interested in how fast would be ok.

And it's something you can compare with other games because whether it is one level in WoW, EQ, DAoC, CoH, or whatever, they all add about the same amount of character advancement.

Quote from: Nebu
I think WoW just seems faster because you aren't running into the same 4 instance types.
Quote from: Lantyssa
Oddly enough, I'm not interested in power leveling if I want to play a game.  And I'm happiest with small groups most of the time.

Neither of which preference is conducive to quick leveling.

Now don't get me wrong - I agree with you guys.

I've been shouted down any number of times for saying that if you don't like the grind in CoH its because you've run out of interest in CoH gameplay, speeding it up won't help.

So I'm looking for numbers, how fast would make the CoH grind no longer a grind? How fast is ok in general for a dikumud where a 'level' means about the same as it does in WoW/CoH/EQ/etc.

How fast do you level in WoW? Because while I got bored of WoW by level 10 (I'm not trying to denigrate WoW, it just didn't grab me), it didn't seem to be running any faster than CoH, or EQ2, or any other recent dikumud - once into the main game they all seem to give you one level every evening or so of xp-driven but not powerlevel play.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:58:39 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 02:18:00 PM

I only played WoW for a couple of months and I remember it moving at light speed compared to CoX, which I still play.  I really think CoX moves too slow.  I can't seem to get a character past level 35 and I have quite a fewl at that level. I don't know if double is too much or not.  Maybe in the beginning when it's very easy to level, but not in the later game?   I'm not usually very motivated by just leveling but post-35 does get to me.  I've suggested before and I really do think that having rested xp might help a lot for us very casual CoX players.  I'd probably even play a bit more if they did something like that. 

Yeah... and gimme some more tile sets, please.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 03:02:50 PM

So I'm looking for numbers, how fast would make the CoH grind no longer a grind? How fast is ok in general for a dikumud where a 'level' means about the same as it does in WoW/CoH/EQ/etc.

It doesn't need to be faster.  It needs to be more varied and more incentives need to be added for me to continue past level 36.  Give me more mission choices, more power sets, and more fun loot options.  Then the "grind" would no longer exist.  It seems like a grind in CoH/CoV because each level after 35 gives you less and less to look forward to.  If your fun comes from more than just getting to 50, you're out of luck.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 09:25:27 PM

I"m not going to get into the WoW vs. CoH thing. Too much depends on class and who you play with.

However, it IS possible to level pretty quickly in CoH with the right group. Sure, post-40 can drag like anything, but I10 might do something about that.

This last weekend was alt-weekend for me. Hero-side no less. My sonic/energy blaster went from 8 to 12 in two hours. Fantastic pick up team running (gasp) invincible missions. I'm still a little surprised this worked as well as it did with the melange of classes we had coming and going, but there it is. When I figured that my blaster had had enough, I logged my dark/electric defender in and went from 12 to 16 in about 3 more hours. Not bad. If I'd had more energy for another few hours, I would have stuck around and see if they'd made to to 19 and log my ice/SS tank in for a quick boost to 22 or so.

It was just a lucky day on team finding, but, damn, I had fun.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 01:38:53 PM

However, it IS possible to level pretty quickly in CoH with the right group. Sure, post-40 can drag like anything, but I10 might do something about that.
And there is my problem.  I'm not interested in finding the "right" group, I want to duo with my roommate.

I'm fine until the early to mid-thirties.  We actually spent from 17 to 32 in perma-debt so we had time to do all the missions.  After 40 though, it felt like we were slogging through it.  Over the  course of two or three free return weekends we went from 43.5 to 44.  When playing for a single weekend only moved us marginally towards the next level we just couldn't get into it.

And so I'm clear, we aren't interested in leveling for the sake of leveling and we'd rather not play than power level.  It's just the same villain groups on the same maps, over and over again.  Even we need a little ding, or something, so it doesn't get stale.  For that kind of play style, the game does become a grind.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 05:28:27 AM

I'm not usually very motivated by just leveling but post-35 does get to me.
Oddly enough, the new I10 content starts at 35, on both sides. Is it going to be enough? I don't know.

--GF
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #48 on: July 19, 2007, 02:02:11 PM

Since launch of CoH I have played on and off, hero is 26, villain is 31. Played WoW for a couple months, hunter is 58. WoW is way faster and more interesting, though I like CoH's gameplay far more.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #49 on: July 19, 2007, 02:59:05 PM

Since launch of CoH I have played on and off, hero is 26, villain is 31. Played WoW for a couple months, hunter is 58. WoW is way faster and more interesting, though I like CoH's gameplay far more.

Wow as more... 'fiddly bits' than CoH.  Or at least, CoH front-loads them, and your character becomes less-variable as time goes by.  Whereas with WoW your character gets more fiddly as time goes by... more talent points, more equipment variation, etc.

I think part of the 'wow is faster' is the more significant quest-related exp rewards.  In CoH, the exp reward for a mission is mostly the exp you got for killing defeating stuff.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #50 on: July 19, 2007, 07:39:20 PM

I think part of the 'wow is faster' is the more significant quest-related exp rewards.  In CoH, the exp reward for a mission is mostly the exp you got for killing defeating arresting stuff.
FIFY

I'm 32, and the XP is reallllly starting to get slow. Mostly because the higher level types (arachnos, council) seem to take more damage and have stronger abilities, making the time to kill much less. I'm starting to get burned out at the game, again. Fuck, this god damned game has so much potential, but I groan internally at the idea of creating another character and having to level him to where he gets his nice abilities.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:40:52 PM by bhodi »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 22, 2007, 07:08:19 AM

Here is the 'grind' in CoH in a nutshell.  When leveling my blaster, which was at launch so it may have gotten better, I tracked how many even con 'minion equivalents' it took to go form lvl 26 to 27 and then lvl 27 to 28 (I'm a nerd, sue me).  The number was how many even con minions I would need to kill to get the next level, I forget what the numbers were exactly but it was a clear linear progression between minion level and exp and also between minion to lt to boss.  Which meant that a boss mob was, I think, equivalent to 8 minions.

Lvl 26 to 27 was around 500 minion equivalents, when killing boss mobs that were +1 and +2 levels that wasn't too much of a grind because you only needed a 50 or so orange/red boss & lt groups.  Lvl 27 to 28 was something like 800 minion equivalents.  Combine that curve with the fact that by 28 you have almost all your final abilities so you aren't going to get vastly more efficient at mob slaying and you can see there is a problem developing.

EQ2, in comparison, at lvl 50 required about has much effort to go to 51 as it did to go from 10 - 11.  One yellow con (+2 or 3) solo mob is around 1% of exp.  If you do 10 quests then you can probably get through a level killing somewhat less than 50 mobs.  Total.  AND as my character progresses toward end-game raid gear and abilities the game is experiencing a 'wimping' effect where the power of my toon is progressing more rapidly than the power of the average mobs and so I am becoming more efficient rather than less.  I won't get into the issues with 'raid gaming' we all know what that is like but at least the progression of the character 'feels' quick and that helps to make it at least seem like you are accomplishing something every time you log in.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Doub^H^H^H^H What the XP should be weekend  
Jump to: