Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Stress Test if you are FilePlanet Subscriber 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Stress Test if you are FilePlanet Subscriber  (Read 32067 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: August 26, 2004, 07:42:29 PM

Just saw this link on the b.net forums, in a paid advertisement no less.

I almost got it just for seeing that, then recovered from my moment of weakness to realize there were no dates -- anywhere.

Anyone w/ a fileplanet subscription care to shed whatever light you can on the situation?

Edit: Because as I understand it, many people here would like to 'demo' it before paying money.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 08:03:27 PM

Quote from: MrHat
Just saw this link on the b.net forums, in a paid advertisement no less.

I almost got it just for seeing that, then recovered from my moment of weakness to realize there were no dates -- anywhere.

Anyone w/ a fileplanet subscription care to shed whatever light you can on the situation?

Edit: Because as I understand it, many people here would like to 'demo' it before paying money.

I'm confused. Are they trying to get people to PAY to get into a stress test? That's some kind of prime evil idea that only Cthulhu could come up with.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 08:09:07 PM

I have fileplanet but haven't received any info on this.  Maybe it's just for new subscribers.  Don't know, can't be arsed to care.

I've been in a 'mood', lately.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 08:15:19 PM

I have a fileplanet account since I have more cash than sense at times. (Hey it cost less than an hour's overtime and there was some download I wanted a few months back.)

Signing up it sent me a key and let me download the beta client, but said that neither would work until the 'stress test' was announced at sometime in the future.  On top of that it's only a one-week stress test.

So yeah, looks like it's just another of Fileplanet/IGN's 'subscribe to us and get into this anticipated beta, sometime' offers. If you don't have a FP sub already, it's not *like* "pay to join the stress test," that's exactly what it is.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 08:17:45 PM

Quote from: Merusk
I have a fileplanet account since I have more cash than sense at times. (Hey it cost less than an hour's overtime and there was some download I wanted a few months back.)

Signing up it sent me a key and let me download the beta client, but said that neither would work until the 'stress test' was announced at sometime in the future.  On top of that it's only a one-week stress test.

So yeah, looks like it's just another of Fileplanet/IGN's 'subscribe to us and get into this anticipated beta, sometime' offers. If you don't have a FP sub already, it's not *like* "pay to join the stress test," that's exactly what it is.

Good to know, thanks.  I wonder if that means that we were all right and this might get rushed out by X-Mas.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 08:32:13 PM

I'm beginning to think so.  When I asked The Magic 8-Ball it said a definate "YES".  The E-mail I got also said, "this exclusive beta will start soon." But that could just be part of the form letter.

Given that EQ2 has sworn up and down that they will release, and that we know SOE has learned that you can release buggy shit that's 1/2 complete and people will still subscribe/purchase it I fully expect them to meet that date.  

Someone's got to be at Bliz HQ ramming the notion that getting to market before EQ2 fixes whatever they fuck on release is a priority.  Particularly since they're starting to shuffle things from "We'll do that before we ship" to "It'd be nice to have" or "Well, sometime after live"

schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 08:36:18 PM

Quote from: Merusk
Given that EQ2 has sworn up and down that they will release, and that we know SOE has learned that you can release buggy shit that's 1/2 complete and people will still subscribe/purchase it I fully expect them to meet that date.  

Someone's got to be at Bliz HQ ramming the notion that getting to market before EQ2 fixes whatever they fuck on release is a priority.  Particularly since they're starting to shuffle things from "We'll do that before we ship" to "It'd be nice to have" or "Well, sometime after live"

Blizzard MUST release WoW before EQ2. Shortly after it would halve their numbers.

SOE does not have to release EQ before WoW. They will just leech from SWG and EQ2 by offering something special for people who play more than one of their MMOGs.

This is not a good situation for Blizzard.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 09:32:43 PM

That's pretty retarded that they kick you back out after seven days.  Regardless, Fileplanet is going to get my $5 to sign up because I'm a sucker like that.

-L

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 09:55:39 PM

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 10:27:52 PM

In order to evaluate World of Warcraft's account-creation process and server performance under heavy loads, Blizzard will be conducting a seven-day stress test beta in the days ahead. This test will require over 100,000 players to download the World of Warcraft stress test beta client, create an account, and log on to play when the test goes live!

To make the client available for download to such a large audience, we have partnered with FilePlanet, GameSpy's Web-based file-delivery service. Visit http://www.fileplanet.com to learn more about the World of Warcraft stress test beta and to sign up for a chance to participate in this special event.

This stress test is run on different servers than the ones you guys are playing on. Also you guys will be able to continue playing. Where the players from the stress test will be discontinued after the 7 day period. Hope that helps clear up some concerns.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 11:04:30 PM

Am I guaranteed a spot in the stress test by signing up here?
If you are a FilePlanet subscriber you are guaranteed a spot in the World of Warcraft stress test as long as you apply during the specified sign up period.

Can I sign up for the stress test if I am not a FilePlanet subscriber?
Yes, you can still sign up for the stress test. However, FilePlanet subscribers receive priority for stress test spots.

Why is this stress test only for North America?
Due to multiple time zone and language differences, we have decided to limit the stress test participants to the United States and Canada.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 02:05:23 AM

Size:2,260.5 MB

Jesus Christ, I have to delete stuff to make room.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 02:16:12 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
Size:2,260.5 MB

Jesus Christ, I have to delete stuff to make room.

The first time I had to do that, I told myself my next computer would have at least half a terabyte of space. I'm sitting here with 550gb and only 20gb free. Honestly, I have zero clue what is taking up all that space. I can account for maybe 75 gigs of it - 10 gigs being my iPod backup, 20 gigs being installed games, 10-15 gigs of uncompressed video some capstone projects, and probably 20-25 gigs of tv shows I can't buy on dvd yet (like Veritas: The Quest, Wonderfalls, The Dead Zone Season 3, Six Feet Under Season 3, and a bunch of Japanese/Korean comedies and shit). Seriously, the other 460 gigs or so is a fucking mystery to me. Every day I wonder what the hell is taking up all that space.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 02:25:30 AM

Quote from: schild
I'm sitting here with 550gb and only 20gb free. Honestly, I have zero clue what is taking up all that space.

It's Bruce's ego.

Seriously, could it be .rar files from the shows that you downloaded or did you download them unsplit with BT? If it's really that big a mystery to you, just open up your drives in Windows Explorer, right click each folder, and select "properties". That'll tell you how much is in each folder and will let you narrow down where you need to be looking.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 02:27:49 AM

Quote from: angry.bob
If it's really that big a mystery to you, just open up your drives in Windows Explorer, right click each folder, and select "properties". That'll tell you how much is in each folder and will let you narrow down where you need to be looking.

Oh I know. It's just a mystery because lately I've been too lazy to do that - I just did and yea, it's mostly archives. Despite buying nearly every other game on the market, I keep archives and shit around so that if I ever want to play something on a whim or copy it to my laptop (without having to carry cd's around) I can.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 03:24:32 AM

I said "fuck it" and ordered a new 200GB hard drive.  I currently only have a 32GB and an old IDE 3.5GB.

Bruce
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 06:54:31 AM

There are also a lot of freeware programs out there that will catalog a drive for you and give you all sorts of breakdowns by directory to help you find what is going on.  I forget the name of the one I used a few systems back when a ton of space went missing.  Way back then 20 gigs was a ton of space and it was apparently because Xnews somehow got it's storage turned back on.  20 gigs of freaking headers, ack.  Easy to kill at least.

Now I have only 80 gigs (up from 40 gigs on my old system).  About 30 gigs are misc comic series I have downloaded and not gotten around to looking at yet.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 07:56:21 AM

Well, I broke down and signed up for 3 months at $15.95.  Ultimately it was the rationalization that it's about the same for an hour of overtime that did it.

Wow, I'm actually downloading something off the internet at 3Mbps.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 09:15:11 AM

Sure, WTF, I'll sign up. But fuck Fileplanet and Gamespy in the ass for ever inflicting Gamespy Arcade on us. I'll be damned if I'm paying them a dime.

I'm sure that since it's only 7 days and is meant to be a "blow the server up" test, the first two days will be a lag-infested shitfest full of the worst dregs of the "entitlement" crowd of Internet shitmittens ever gathered together since the days of B.net.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 09:54:16 AM

I'll put $20.00 on a "OMG Bilzzard fix LAAAAG WTF" post within 2 hours of the start of the stress test.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 10:01:40 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
I'll put $20.00 on a "OMG Bilzzard fix LAAAAG WTF" post within 2 hours of the start of the stress test.

LOL, I'll see your 20 and raise you 5 for a post within the first 1/2 hour.

on the b.net forums correct?

Side Note: DL'ed the .zip and it was corrupt, god damn fileplanet, I remember why I use fileshack for the most part.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 10:15:08 AM

Quote from: schild
Seriously, the other 460 gigs or so is a fucking mystery to me. Every day I wonder what the hell is taking up all that space.

Do you have XP and that fucking awful system snapshot crap running?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 10:25:33 AM

Quote from: Righ
Do you have XP and that fucking awful system snapshot crap running?

Yes and no.
toma levine
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 27, 2004, 10:26:48 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic

People bitch about the lag in the beta already. I usually tell them to ask for a refund.
I think 2 hours is way too generous; 2 minutes and you're looking at closer to even odds.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 11:28:11 AM

Well, I broke down and signed up for 3 months at $15.95.  Ultimately it was the rationalization that it's about the same for an hour of overtime that did it.

Wow, I'm actually downloading something off the internet at 3Mbps.

Their service is actually pretty damn good. I've been a subscriber for over a year now. And the little perks, while they may not be worth 10 bucks a month, are nice to get now and then. I think watching non-subscribers bitch about it actually makes it worth the money. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 12:04:16 PM

Every time I read through the WoW beta forums it gives me a headache.  I can't believe (well, actually I can) that there are so many stupid people who got accepted into that beta.  There are people on the beta boards asking how and where to sign up for the stress test.  Ahhhhhhhhh!  Someone kick these people out and give a beta account to more deserving people!

-L

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #26 on: August 27, 2004, 02:52:30 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Sure, WTF, I'll sign up. But fuck Fileplanet and Gamespy in the ass for ever inflicting Gamespy Arcade on us. I'll be damned if I'm paying them a dime.

I'm sure that since it's only 7 days and is meant to be a "blow the server up" test, the first two days will be a lag-infested shitfest full of the worst dregs of the "entitlement" crowd of Internet shitmittens ever gathered together since the days of B.net.

If it's playable I'll wait a full review from you. I'm sick of having to defend the quality of a game to look just as another average fanboy.

Try the game concretely and then we can discuss.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 05:20:01 PM

Quote from: Some poster from Blue
The game is highly polished and has a nice story line depending on your race. But besides that it brings absolutely nothing new to the genre. I've been in beta for a few months now and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to log in for more then an hour at a time. It's just so much a steriotypical elves and trolls fantasy MMORPG. The combat is average (it's very DAoC-sh) in that you find you spend the majority of your time camping some field waiting for the exact same mobs to spawn you've been killing for the passed 2 hours while you try to collect 15 slightly rare bones for your chieften and what not.

If your seriously into fantasy MMOG's, it's nicely polished with a good bit of content and things to see and you may well enjoy it.

If your sick of sword & sorcery carbon coppy fantasy MMOG's.. you probably won't like it once the initial 'wow' phase is over (no pun intended).

A lot of beta-testers really like it. But a substantial ammount are unhappy with it because it simply doesn't try to brake the mold and really doesn't improve on it either. That and the 24 hour day really chaps me. I know it isn't really dark.. but it is STILL DARK. For me, who plays in the evening, it's almost always perpetually dark for me.

What happened to SWG?

As to this game being like CoH. I disagree. It's nothing like CoH. In CoH the combat is actually fun! In this game it's the same old click on these two buttons until the mobs are dead. If your a healer type feel lucky because you now have 3 buttons to click.

CoH is extremely good combat and little else. WoW is fairly good combat and some extra stuff thrown in like camping and farming. It has a lot of cool areas to explore but as far as XP gain goes.. it's almost entirely 'Go see so-so/Get quest from so-so/Go kill 30 of these in this little field/Come back for your nice new dagger of pwnage. Ok thats a little simplified lol. The game world is rather large. It's no where near SWG's size, but it's got a big landmass with a lot of different things to see. Like I said, fantasy MMOG lovers will probably love it. Those tired of carbon copy fantasy MMOG's probably won't.

I guess I'll pass. I was foolish enough to pre-order EQ2 before the PVP annoucement.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2004, 05:49:05 PM

Anyone download this and try installing it?

Everytime (3 tries) I download, I get some corrupt .zip
OtherSide

Email
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2004, 06:27:23 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
There are also a lot of freeware programs out there that will catalog a drive for you and give you all sorts of breakdowns by directory to help you find what is going on.

I use SequoiaView when I need to work out what to delete/move to optical media.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #30 on: August 27, 2004, 06:43:03 PM

It's not a corrupted file. You need simply a decent version of Winzip, or try directly the one built-in Windows.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: August 27, 2004, 06:44:50 PM

Anyone download this and try installing it?

Everytime (3 tries) I download, I get some corrupt .zip

I think it's you, I didn't have a problem. I used the "ironforge" download server. Maybe try it or a different one than you are?

- Shockeye:

Everyone I've talked to in the beta says it's good, just stay away from collections quests.  Sounds like maybe that poster is trying too hard to play the game like it WAS DAoC or EQ.

I heard similar complaints about how COH combat 'sucked' or was boring. Upon further investigation I found out the people complaining were saying it sucked becase they couldn't single pull, or that it was boring because they were able to. (Using taunt, teleport foe, etc.)   Too many people think a game must play a certain way because it's an MMO, instead of trying to find out how THAT game plays.

Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 28, 2004, 12:41:32 AM

Looks like they've got a download of the Tribes: Vengeance beta as well if you're a subscriber.

http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/tribesvengeance/

-L

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 28, 2004, 03:40:25 PM

They made the links to free a lot easier now.

They are waiting for 100,000 testers - its gonna be horrid.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #34 on: August 28, 2004, 03:54:00 PM

Quote from: FilePlanet
Your application to the World of Warcraft Stress Test Beta has been accepted.

These keys are on a first come first serve basis and the current pool of keys have run out. You have been put on a waiting list. We will have more keys available soon and you'll receive an email on how to claim your Stress Test Beta key when they're available.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Stress Test if you are FilePlanet Subscriber  
Jump to: