Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gaming Tattoos 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaming Tattoos  (Read 170100 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 30, 2007, 11:18:11 PM

Inspired by a thread at NeoGAF where there are too many god awful tattoos to even talk about it.

I wanna get 1. Or 5.

No clue where. No clue what. Inspire me.

I'm leaning towards one of the DDS tattoos on one of my shoulders. Or small, on the inside of my wrist. Really though, I plan to lose weight and I don't want a tattoo where any of that could happen, so shoulders might be out for now. I'm not opposed to pussy places for tattoos like ankles and shit.

Discuss! Fight!
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:26:34 PM

I have a friend that has the best gaming tatoo. His whole hand, from the wrist to the shoulder + the shoulder blade and a bigger part of his breast (??) is covered in art from American McGee's Alice. Words don't do it Justice, I'll try and find a picture of it.

edit: http://community.livejournal.com/gamingtattoos/3176.html - there it is. I exaggerated a bit, but seeing it live is fucking impressive :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:30:33 PM by Wolf »

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:42:39 PM

I sorta have to get a tattoo from a game that was fun to play though. One day, when I hit my desired weight, I will get my full back with the starting screen from Metroid.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:26:22 AM

I'd advise against getting anything too complex if you're going to be dropping/adding pounds. 

Quite honestly, some of the best game junk to get permanently etched into your skin would be 8 bit sprites.  Not a whole starting screen (which would take a while, be  hecka expensive and take multiple sittings), but maybe something like just Samus or just Link or a Koopa or whatever.  The 8-bit stuff should be easy for any artist to pull off without taking liberties, and should ideally survive any bodily expansion/reduction without too much distortion.  Also, it's easy to get touched up when the colors start to fade.

I also advise against stuff like the inside of the wrist if you ever endeavor to have a job where that may be an issue. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:29:18 AM

So "L I N K" on the knuckles might not be the best idea?
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:30 AM

I'm leaning towards one of the DDS tattoos on one of my shoulders. Or small, on the inside of my wrist. Really though, I plan to lose weight and I don't want a tattoo where any of that could happen, so shoulders might be out for now. I'm not opposed to pussy places for tattoos like ankles and shit.

Discuss! Fight!

Get your ass to Michigan and I'll hook you up.

ETA: Shoulders should be fine, regardless of weight gain/loss.  Unless you're the dude on Jerry Springer whose mom hoses him down like Shamu this shouldn't even be a concern for you.  The chest would also be fine, and so would back pieces.  For men our only real concern in that area is around the stomach.  Everything else is fairly safe except for the grossly obese.

I have tattooed fat people, and the worst thing about it is getting the skin tight.  Putting an arm band on a fat guy is a painful procedure for 'em because the only way I know how to really get that skin tight is to grab the inside of the arm and pull on it like you're lifting up a puppy by the scruff of the neck; the two finger spread method isn't exactly optimal for that kind of work.  On the other hand, it does take your mind off of the tattoo.   evil
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:42:19 AM by Big Gulp »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 06:46:38 AM

I would go for something that while video game related would still look good even if you didn't know what it was (or for when you're 45 and have gone off games entirely).  Something either mean or abstract.  They can't tattoo white can they?  If they can maybe the Okami Wolf?  The Deus Ex logo is also abstract enough and would look good even if you had no idea as to its origins, but again it has some white in it.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 06:53:56 AM

They can't tattoo white can they?

Nope, do it all the time, especially for highlights.  White is tricky, though, because it's easily contaminated by other colors, so you can't just rinse your tube and needle when switching between colors like you can most of the time.  You have to use a new needle and tube (not a big deal, disposable tubes are like $1 each) to keep that white white.  For black people you usually have to have them come back a month later to redo the white, because after the first application it'll only be creamy (like a white person's skin tone).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:33 AM

I think you should get a fingerstache.  It ALWAYS makes me giggle! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 07:20:08 AM

^^^ Hehehehehheheehe. No.

Deus Ex logo really should've been a no-brainer.

Gulp, the idea of going to Michigan is scary. Not because I'd be flying out for a tattoo, but because of the possibility of running into Axel Foley.

This is going to be like a 6 month decision also. Ookii wants to get a tattoo as well. Not to mention one of my other friends. So. Yea.

It's hard to live in AZ without tattoos. Everyone fucking has them.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 07:28:22 AM

I just got my first tattoo. Painful as a mother fucker, but that's because I'm skinny as a rail. I make thin girls feel fat. Now I want another and thought about a game one on the inside of my wrist. I blame Gulp for all of this...

Gulp: Had I know you were just in Michigan I probably could've convinced my girlfriend to go on a road trip down there with me. God damnit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:44:47 PM by NiX »
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 08:08:34 AM

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 08:12:14 AM

I just got my first tattoo about 3 months ago too, on the inside of my forearm. No pain whatsoever. It felt like I was just scratching a bad sunburn.

I need to get it fixed up a bit, the guy doing it warned me that my skin was different then most he tattoos. Some parts he'd just have to do one line to get the nice black color, then on the same letter, he'd have to go over a line 4 or 5 times to get the same depth of black. The last couple of letters closer to the crook of my elbow need to be fixed as they have some spots where the ink didn't really take that well and it looks a bit faded.

My wife is very worried that now that I have one, I'll want more (which I do)

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 08:16:24 AM

Put it on your penis and make it:  Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

(hehe.  Look how long I made your penis.  And it's like a double joke. HA!)

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 08:53:38 AM

Signe beat me.

Saw a guy once with the TriForce on the back of his hand, but it was black.

Maybe you can get a Judgement Ring on your back.  Or around each nipple.

I am not going to get any tattoos because that would keep me from retiring to Orlando and getting a job at Walt Disney World.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 09:09:34 AM

I never got a tattoo because when everyone has tattoos, not having a tat is rebellious. ;)

Almost got the Notre Dame fighting Irish on my shoulder, though. Got kicked out of the parlor on the sunset strip for being too inebriated, though.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 09:12:46 AM

Do NOT get an ankle tat. Ankle tats are for dumn sluts. The bicep should be okay, because you're not likely to drop too much girth from that area if you incorporate a wee bit of strength training into your weight-loss plan (which you should!).

I really am wafflilng about getting this as a tattoo, but prolly never will:

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 09:18:59 AM

I never got a tattoo because when everyone has tattoos, not having a tat is rebellious. ;)

Almost got the Notre Dame fighting Irish on my shoulder, though. Got kicked out of the parlor on the sunset strip for being too inebriated, though.

^^This post. It's hard to read without cringing.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 09:36:46 AM

You should get a tattoo of a butt, with a tattoo of a butt on it, on your butt.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:15 AM

Brilliant.  I Heart butts!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 09:54:09 AM

Hey, you just described why I stopped wearing my earring.

I've also considered shaving the VanDyke for the same reason, but I look about 10 years younger without it.  I'm not quite to the age that's a good thing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 10:06:16 AM

20 years from now, there is going to be a whole generation of people really regretting those tatoos that seemed so trendy at the time...
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 10:12:45 AM

20 years from now, there is going to be a whole generation of people really regretting those tatoos that seemed so trendy at the time...

I think part of why tattoos are so popular now is that you can actually effectively get them removed without a huge burn scar. People subconciously use that as an argument towards why getting one will not have consequence later in life.

I have nothing against tattoos, I have thought about getting one for years. But the kind of crap that some people get just to "look cool" these days really is annoying. (this is not aimed at anyone here btw...just a general societal commentary)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21:05 AM

Do NOT get an ankle tat. Ankle tats are for dumn sluts.

shocked Lilly called my sister a slut!!!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 10:23:06 AM

Clearly, you have seen many episodes of Beavis and Butthead.

In all honesty, though, I'm with Miasma on this one. Don't go for something completely overt, like a giant 'GTA 4 LIFE DAWG' on the back, with a picture of CJ diving through a window with two uzis. Okay, wait, that's a pretty awesome tattoo.

No, but like, a subtle reference, where if you were a gamer, you'd get it.

I already have the twin crescents of the A Perfect Circle logo between my shoulder blades. I've been toying with the idea of getting the Bloodlust logo right underneath it:

Oh, wait, wrong picture.

I drew a stylized version of that on paper, and it's attached to my monitor here at work. I think that the little logo (minus the cliche blood dripping from it) would be pretty bitchin'.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 10:25:01 AM

Mine too!

Of course, she is probably right in that observation.

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 10:26:00 AM

I could never get a band logo as a tattoo. The moment they start getting shitty, I'd have to change it to wino forever.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:02 AM

Eh, even the logo is cool.

Unless every single band member gets arrested for child molestation, and a band of cultists starts using the logo, I don't see myself changing it.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 11:23:33 AM

I think you need a hello kitty tramp stamp.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 12:43:25 PM

I think it depends on the motivation.  I've had my tribal armband (it's a series of waves with Orcas jumping) for almost 20 years and I don't regret it at all.  It signifies an important moment in my life.  Everytime I look at it, I remember the time, the pain, and the experience and always have good memories. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zedword
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 12:46:52 PM

Brilliant.  I Heart butts!

And I can not lie.
You other gamers can't deny.
And when a girl walks by with an itty bitty waist and a rounded polygon in my face i get sprung

--Zedword, deep in his jeans
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 12:50:43 PM

I just got my first tattoo about 3 months ago too, on the inside of my forearm. No pain whatsoever. It felt like I was just scratching a bad sunburn.

Mine hurt cause it was on my back. There's a reason why they say skinny people have "chicken wings" when they push their arms back. My tattoo was done on some areas that have 0 fat and it felt like someone was chiseling my bone away. Other places felt like light scratching. All depends on where. You should get one on your ribs next, tough guy ;P
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08:52 PM

You should get one on your ribs next, tough guy ;P

No way, that would HURT.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 02:23:20 PM

Could be worse.  You could go off about 'tramp stamps' and your opinion of them (while using the term) in front of your sister-in-law and her parents, only to find she'd gotten one since the last time you'd seen her.

I had a laugh. They weren't amused.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:34 PM

Not for me at least, and my learning method was pig's feet--->my own legs--->buddies of mine.  Do my legs have some of my beginner "not so stellar" work on 'em?  Oh yes, indeedy.  Personally, I just don't care.  I can point exactly to where I learned how to really blend colors, where I finally got the confidence to work with the needles out, etc.  That's worth more to me than pristine legs.

My biggest problem right now is coming up with a consistent theme for my sleeves, because my arms are still pretty damned bare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Gaming Tattoos  
Jump to: