Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:45:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: P versus P - Yay or nay? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: P versus P - Yay or nay?  (Read 9319 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: May 29, 2007, 09:18:45 AM

So, as we all know, PvP was tacked on. My question is this:

Has it gotten to the point where it is worth participating in yet? I know they have some sort of a token system where you can get rewards.

I have a little Ratonga Brigand on Vox that I did some Commandlands PvP on. I got killed by a Dwarf Cleric on a pony.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:12 AM

Why?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:47:05 AM

I got killed by a Dwarf Cleric on a pony.

Sorry, but the mental image this creates amuses the shit outta me.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:34 PM

I got killed by a Dwarf Cleric on a pony.

Sorry, but the mental image this creates amuses the shit outta me.

As well it should, as I thought it was hilarious, until I saw that I dropped like, a couple silver, then I was not so amused.

And the 'why' is that I am curious as to whether or not it's worth it to roll on a PvP server for a game that is clearly PvE slanted.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 02:29:51 PM

Well, I'm there but only because I refuse to play PVE only games.

It's still super unbalanced. I guess the thing to do these days is to lock your leveling experience and just rack up AA experience, so you can max your AA and just unleash the fucking fury on those who don't have maxed AA.

My new level 15 necromancer dies in about 4 seconds when attacked by these equal level twinked, max AA faggots.

You'd think that with the PVP server being the most populated one, they'd actually see how it plays. You'd be wrong.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 02:46:40 PM

Played it in beta and shortly after release (to level 30 or so).  It's terrible in so many ways that I can't begin to explain it.  Balance issues, evac abilities, gear inequities, bleh. 

PvP tacked on to anything is a terrible idea.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 08:56:02 AM

My shadowknight is rocking with AA (the newer tree). Adding lifetaps to my most used attacks, increasing the effectiveness of my lifetap/dmg shield...good stuff. Way more effective than without the AA.

One problem with AA is that it was added later...so my lvl 20 Paladin has maybe 15 AA and my lvl 30 Wizard has 2. Definitely rewards newer players, though by now I guess it's a moot point.
Well, I'm there but only because I refuse to play PVE only games.
Not sure why you're playing EQ2, then. Apparently tacking on a cheesy pvp option works. The server is loaded because there are only a couple, the pve population is strung out across the rest of the servers. If the situation were reversed, there'd be instances of every major zone on the pve servers and maybe a few dozen people per pvp server. It's odd you won't play PvE but will play EQ2 PvP, where PvP is a detriment to the game?

Seriously, why? There are games geared toward pvp, why waste time with one that's clearly not?
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:36:37 AM

One problem with AA is that it was added later...so my lvl 20 Paladin has maybe 15 AA and my lvl 30 Wizard has 2. Definitely rewards newer players, though by now I guess it's a moot point.

It's definately a ton easier, but at least they reset exploration events when they added the AA system to make up for it.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:32:13 PM

So I've been reading about the AA system, and my little Iksar Berserker just hit level 10.

I explored something, and then it went up a bit.

Is the easiest thing to do to lock XP and then just start running around the world naked and exploring? I don't quite know what I'm doing with that system yet.

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:42:33 PM

If your goal is to have as much AA as possible at low levels, then that plus questing is the way to do it.  Killing Nameds (first time) and looting certain treasure also works.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:05 AM

The reason I locked exp was to finish quests before they greyed out, partly due to AA points. I'm not rabid about AA, though, I don't do nekkid exploration runs or anything.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:17 AM

Remember, you can always find someone in the zone to mentor down to for a few seconds to do a quest turn in.  You get the AA value as if you were at the mentored-down level.  I've been able to find someone quickly everytime I've needed to do this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:46:52 PM

Talk? To people??

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 02:07:19 PM

Heh.  Yeah.

Hilariously enough, it usually never involves actually talking to anyone.  I just ask in /ooc, get a group invite, mentor down, turn in, disband, say thanks in /ooc.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 06:00:37 PM

You'd think that with the PVP server being the most populated one, they'd actually see how it plays. You'd be wrong.

PvP is the most populous server?  Pardon my ignorance; I did not see that coming.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 07:48:06 PM

PvP is the most populous server?  Pardon my ignorance; I did not see that coming.

Yeah - every night when I go to log on, only two servers are at high population - the Roleplaying server, and the PvP server. Everything else is at medium or low.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 07:40:28 AM

I dunno if it's just people checking out Neriak but population seems fine on the 'medium' load servers such as Oasis.  Lots of people of various levels running around, no shortage of chat going on and lots of people LFG.

On the AA front I've heard that the truly hard core will not only lock adventure exp but also repeatedly get themselves killed to prolong their stay at a certain level.

Frankly, I find it kind of absurd, the AA's aren't that important on PVE servers.  I mean, the point of them is to make your leveling MORE effective, right?  Sure, I see an argument for it on the PVP side but, PVP'ing in a tacked on system in a PVE game is also borderline absurd to begin with.  Much to my chagrin I spent 2+ years on Vallon Zek, I'm pretty sure I know what I am talking about on that point.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 09:30:24 AM

I played on Nafagen for about 3 months, at the begginning of PvP.  I am not hardcore PvP, so my interest was only of intrigue on how they were going to implement PvP... as I had been playing EQ2 already for quite sometime. 

Problems obviously arose from the beggining, but the PvP servers are essentially a different ruleset, and they can tweak PvP balance without affecting PvE - and they seem to be addressing the issues one by one.  Not perfect mind you, but I enjoyed my stay on Nafagen.

I hate blanket statements, "EQ2 was built for PvE, therefore PvP must suck" - I am not saying anyone is wrong - but please indicate what exact issue you see with the PvP system, just for my own interest sake.

Biggest Issues as I see it:

1) Overpowering of scouts - Scouts were essentially built for PvP.  Tracking, stealth, evac, and snares are superior skills to have on the server...especially tracking. There has been some cryptic info from Aeralik (PvP Dev) that this may be addressed.  Biggest problem as I saw it on the server.

2) Level-locking - No explanation needed.  Tough for newer peeps to join the servers when level-locked AA fools ganking your ass, with very little chance to compete.  Aeralik comment recently:

As part of the balancing adjustments for pvp in the next update, I am looking into some ways to hopefully curb some of the added strength level lockers gain.  More details will be provided on all of this once it goes to Test PvP but I just wanted to point out that I am working on a lot of your top complaints SMILEY;)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:54 AM

When I was in the beta testing for the new pvp server, I think 18 of the top 20 people in pvp were scouts.  Appears they still haven't addressed this issue. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 11:30:55 AM

Odd - most of the level locked gankers that have killed me have been Furies or Berzerkers.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 11:51:45 AM

Yup furies are actually pretty potent adversaries (as they are in PvE)....plus they have a root and snare.  Should be able to get away from a Zerker easy enough though....I think they may have a few stuns, but that must be it.  That was my problem using a defiler.  I could PvP well enough, and kick the shit out of most unsuspecting gankers, but if they ran, there was little I could do about it.  No snares, roots or stuns.  90% of the time I was fighting scouts so the routine went:

1) Stealthed scout finds me on track
2) Tries to gank me
3) Debuff, Ward and slowly overpower them
4) they run and stealth or evac
5) rinse, repeat
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 08:07:19 AM

Oy.

To remain competitive while leveling, really your only option is to lock Combat XP.

That way, your AAs scale well with your level.

At level 11, with 3 AAs, i have about 400 hp. I saw a level 14 level locked and twinked character with over 900 hp.

That is insane.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 03:30:55 AM

There's a PvP retune planned for the next update, according to what I've seen elsewhere.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 01:56:50 PM

There's a PvP retune planned for the next update, according to what I've seen elsewhere.

This is true - they're capping the amount of AAs you can spend at any given level (you can gain more, you just can't spend them).

It will be 1.5x your level (so if you're level 20, you can have up to 30 AAs).

Also, the Tier 1 DPS classes (Warlock, Wizard, Assassin, Swashie) are having their PvP DPS reduced a pretty decent amount, and all the others slightly.

Fights are ending in seconds, even at level 70, from what I hear.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: P versus P - Yay or nay?  
Jump to: