Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Shaolin Soccer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shaolin Soccer  (Read 4895 times)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

on: August 26, 2004, 06:28:07 AM

Okay, I know this is a 2002 chineese (I think) movie, but it is making a very limited theatrical run in the states this year.  I just caught the tail end of the 1 theater in Orlando that was showing it (Altamonte 8 to any Orlando lurkers).

I have to say this was easily the funniest movie I have ever seen.  I think you have to go in expecting campy, but it is very well done camp.  The version I saw was the chineese spoken english subtitled version.  Very classic oriental style comedy that by itself would have made this a funny movie just with the spoken script, but the real killer is the nonstop effects.

Some are very subtle, it looks like there is no effect shot, but you know there has to be because what they just did is impossible.  Think well done wirework or those ratchet and clank commercials with the chicken gun or the magnetism gun.  Or the poweraide (I think) commercials where they have an athlete do something impossible in a real world setting.  Many of the effects have that feel to them.  Other effects are way over the top but they fit very well in this alternate shaolin universe.  One of the effects that was over the top for example is when one of the players kicks a ball and the camera zooms in on it as it starts picking up a heat glow and then get a comet like aura, and then bursts into flames that turn into a running tiger of fire.  It is an anime type concept, but very non-anime execution.

I am going to buy this thing immediately because my wife is out of town and I think the movie will be done playing here by the time she comes back early next week.  I kept wanting to get her to go before she left, but she was hesitant because the concept sounded so freaking campy.

This movie now has a spot among my ficticious top 5 movies of all time.  It is ficticious because if I ever tried to write out my top 5 movies I would explode.

Can't praise the movie enough.  Even if you don't find it funny, I think almost anyone would find at least some amount of enjoyment from the effects.

It was sad watching this movie.  I was the only one in the theater and I laughed so hard throughout it, but there was nobody else there enjoying it.  Such a pity.  That whole theater was like that.  I just recently discovered them.  They show the movies that nobody else shows.  The independent and the great foreign films.  But they are so ignored they have only 1 guy doing both concessions AND tickets for an 8 screen theater.  Just a sad reminder to me what a grip the mainstream has on our culture.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 06:53:37 AM

According to my netflix, this came out last Tuesday on DvD.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:59:35 AM

Yes movies pander to the lowest common denominator now and that leaves us in a cultural wasteland at times. I expect though that movies are well overdue for a renaissance that will come from people getting tired of the same old crap. At least I hope that's the case, I might be dreaming. As for my top 5 movies, I usually go with the ones I've watched the most or that will stop me from flipping everytime I see them on TV.

1) The Star Wars Trilogy
2) Indiana Jones
3) Caddyshack
4) Jaws
5) The Godfather

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 07:24:37 AM

Quote from: MrHat
According to my netflix, this came out last Tuesday on DvD.

I have seen august 24th as a street date for the region 1 DVD as well, but different sites list different dates.

Recently though seems to be the case.  I know others have had it floating around imported or downloaded for a few years now, but I never got around to seeing it.

So glad I did.  If you have netflix, put it on the list.  Well worth it, very amusing movie.  It manages to be pretty original even though they EXACTLY follow the standard plotline for the generic sports movie.  That actually seems to be part of the gag.  Original and fun even though it is 100% predictable.

One visionary and a team of losers (at first) come together and become a kickass team. Enter Team Evil (yes, that is their name).  The team that they first meet in the final (of course).  And they *shock* try to cripple the other team so they have to forfeit since neither team can score on the other.  They end up out of men and will have to forfeit... but SURPRISE!  The only other martial artist that is in the movie but not on the team shows up to save the day!!!!  Oh, and boy meets girl, boy gets wrapped up in fame an loses girl, boy gets girl again at the end.

The point I like is that you can and do know all of this going into the movie, but it does not affect the enjoyment one bit (at least for me).  Hell, it's a sports movie.  They all have the same plot, what matters is the action from A to B.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 07:26:46 AM

"or that will stop me from flipping everytime I see them on TV."

Does anyone else have the annoying habit of catching a movie on TV that they own on DVD but watching the TV version anyway? I seem to constantly do this with Breakfast Club and Shawshank Redemption. I own both of them on DVD but whenever I see them on TV I always stop to watch them even though they are censored versions...

I really piss myself off sometimes...
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 07:29:44 AM

If I own the DVD and see it on TV I will quick grab the DVD and stick it in.  There is some compulsion when seeing a good movie on TV that I MUST WATCH IT.  But I can make myself watch my DVD version instead.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 09:01:02 AM

The late night killers for me are Field of Dreams, The Devil's Advocate, Major League, and Braveheart. All of which TNT was running constantly during my last semester at college. I slept little.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 09:59:25 AM

Quote from: UD_Delt
"or that will stop me from flipping everytime I see them on TV."

Does anyone else have the annoying habit of catching a movie on TV that they own on DVD but watching the TV version anyway? I seem to constantly do this with Breakfast Club and Shawshank Redemption. I own both of them on DVD but whenever I see them on TV I always stop to watch them even though they are censored versions...

I really piss myself off sometimes...

Hah, ya, I get this feeling all the time.

I do the same thing on HBO, something will come on that I own on dvd, and it's 1/3 of the way in, and I sit and watch the rest of it.

Maybe it's because we're lazy and don't want to get up and put the dvd in?  This is why I feel that Video on Demand is going to be such a big hit.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 05:19:52 PM

Shaolin Soccer is definantly a must see, schild forced me to watch it a year and a half ago and it's definantly worth it.  From what I understand, they tried to bring it to america this summer, but they cut out a lot of stuff because they wanted ot market it as a children's (?) movie.  It's refreshing to actually see a movie with a somewhat original premise, and also having crazy chinese shenanigans doesn't hurt either.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 08:42:10 PM

I am not sure what all was taken out, but the version that hit the theater here was certainly still highly entertaining, even if it might have been missing some bits.  I wonder which version the one I am looking at buying is... probably the US one I saw since it is a region 1 dvd and all...

onsale for 13.99 USD at video universe
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6741660&style=movie&frm=frooglemovie
w00tang

Email
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 02:55:00 PM

I'm was in Orlando till a week ago and I have to say wtf are you doing even looking at the Altamonte 8?!?

Anyways I've seen the movie and it is crazy funny movie and the girl in it dirt uuuuugly! Sooo funny though.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 12:25:15 PM

Altamonte 8 was the only theater anywhere near orlando showing it.  No theaters even in Tampa had it that I could find.  That is why I saw it there.  They get several movies noone else gets.  They got bubba hotep for instance.  So that is why.  Simple as that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Shaolin Soccer  
Jump to: