Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: A Short Analysis: Phantasy Star Universe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Short Analysis: Phantasy Star Universe  (Read 69344 times)
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 07:52:48 PM

Was back in the NES days though so the games were a little bit more simple. Even if I'm probably not an old schooler compared to a lot of the people here, I kind of feel sorry for people who missed out on the sort of games that were played back then, a lot of which we probably never will see the likes of again.

There are actually a number of free NES emulators out there.  I spent a bit of time at one point going through all the NES games I had missed out on as a child (I didn't get a Nintendo until about seven years after everyone else, and didn't ever get that many games for it) and was sad to discover that most of them are in fact complete crap.  The only one that really holds up IMO is SMB3.

Yea, a lot of them only holds up due to nostalgia. However, they were crafted in a way that simply doesn't come by nowdays, and they were very enjoyable back then. I agree with SMB3, it's simply amazing.

How about: Metroid, Original Legend of Zelda, NES Open (By far the -most- fun golf game I've ever played -- Wii Sports Golf is loosely based on the same idea), Final Fantasy, Castlevania?

I thought all of these games were good, and I still play them from time to time.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 12:37:22 AM

I thought Metroid, Zelda, and Castlevania were ugly and repetitive.  I can imagine myself enjoying them when I was much younger and had lots of time on my hands, though, since Goonies falls in that same camp and I played a good bit of that when I was a kid.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 08:40:55 AM

Super Metroid, on the other hand, is still good in the same way that the post-SotN Castlevanias are good.  I might say, from the NES, that Blaster Master is still good but that is probably some serious nostalgia.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cymdai
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 08:20:05 PM

I'd have to say that I can agree.

PSU got so repetitive so quickly. I wrote a review for it the month after it had been released. By that time, playing semi-casually, I had hit the level cap, maxed out my crafting creature, and capped out 2 of the 3 job levels as well.

I'm sure it's better by now, but between the DBZ jokes every 5 seconds, being spammed profusely might I add, and the lack of content... it was one of the weakest MMO's I've ever played.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 10:42:40 PM

Yes, Necropost and all that.

Yeg, your son is overdue for a new game review.
You have a few days off over Easter? Get to it!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 11:42:42 AM

I'm surrounded by newbs! When I was in grade 10 my Dad bought us a Pong machine as the big family Christmas present that year. :)

If it's the one with both paddle knobs on a single console, I had it too.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 11:26:09 PM

He's just wrapped up in Mario stuff.  Mario Galaxy, Mario Golf, Luigi's Mansion.  Of those, he can actually play Mario Golf, but he's incredibly shitty.  He likes Luigi's Mansion except that it's somewhat scary.  He doesn't understand why Mario Galaxy gets so hard on the later levels and I end up playing old levels a lot.  We did the one last night where you are inside the fire planet and he mostly wanted me to lure the urchin things into the fire to comically burn to cinders.

I played Metroid Prime 3 for him but he didn't say anything funny.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 06:38:39 AM

Mario Kart for the Wii is coming next month.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 09:53:25 AM

Ssshhh!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:34 AM

This is a bit of a followup. I might write a full article but for the booze.

What my boy has found fascinating since the last exchange is basically Na-Na Ball, Mario Kart and Lego Star Wars.

The interesting and unexplained bit is his fascination wit h Lego Star Wars. I can only summarize that LSW is a GOOD GAME, partly from the gameplay but mostly from the visuals. It's pretty fucking cute.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: A Short Analysis: Phantasy Star Universe  
Jump to: