Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:49:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: More potential "film of game" disasters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More potential "film of game" disasters  (Read 17900 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 04:18:02 AM

Terminator 3 was good ?  Was there a US only release version or something ??

undecided

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 08:46:56 AM

Terminator 3 was good ?  Was there a US only release version or something ??

undecided

While it was by no means high art, it was not nearly as bad as I expected and I came out of it entertained.

I think it really comes down to expectations, I went in with such low expectations that anything short of a Matrix sequel or Spaced Invaders would have entertained me. Hot-german-chick-in-leather terminator didn't hurt either.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 08:50:37 AM

T3 was utter shit splattered on the screen. Not even the truck chase scene could save it, mainly because that scene sucked.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 08:56:29 AM

T3 was bad.  Or at the very best, not good.  It was fine enough to watch as long as you don't expect anything at all from it, but because T2 was such an awesome movie, it's hard to do that.  IMO, it was a far worse letdown for the series than the Matrix sequals (which I liked somewhat) were for the original. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 09:04:43 AM

T3 was bad.  Or at the very best, not good.  It was fine enough to watch as long as you don't expect anything at all from it, but because T2 was such an awesome movie, it's hard to do that.  IMO, it was a far worse letdown for the series than the Matrix sequals (which I liked somewhat) were for the original. 

The thing about the Matrix sequels (at least the first one) was the fact that it was hyped as this amazing piece of sci-fi/action art. Even the usually non-action fan critics gave it decent reviews. I went into that movie with decently high expectations and walked out wanting to be reimbursed for my time wasted. I was snookered into expecting a good movie, and got the worst piece of trash I had ever paid to see. T3 was not hyped or given that good of reviews so I knew what to expect.

I kind of equate T3 to the second Highlander movie. You know the story has to be totally fucked with to make even a remotely plausible story line, and there is no possible way it can be nearly as good as the original, so you go in and say "let's see if we can even be entertained with it." I enjoyed both movies for what they were, but you can't tell me that the storyline changes in T3 were less plausible than the story of Highlander II.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 09:08:53 AM

T3's suck was not about plausibility, but stupidity. It was just a braindead movie.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 09:26:07 AM

What he said.

T1 deserves to be on the shelf with the other 'Quality High Camp'; next to Big Trouble in Little China, Buckaroo Banzai, Mad Max, et al. A fun, popcorny diversion that exemplifies the absurdities of the '80's. T2 was quality. T3 was fucking Batman and Robin, nipples included.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 10:51:42 AM

... or Spaced Invaders ...

I liked Spaced Invaders :(

Also, Daeven just called all of my most favorite movies absurd.  cry

edit: Now that I've thought about it, that's why I like those movies.  Exactly because they are absurd.  cheesy

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 12:31:49 PM

My question is what happened to Kristanna Loken? She have some bad plastic surgery?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 02:05:27 PM

My question is what happened to Kristanna Loken? She have some bad plastic surgery?

What happened to her as in where is she now?  or as in "dude she used to look like Farrah Fawcett now she looks like Latoya Jackson"?

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 02:29:22 PM

I think she has a rather "meh" program on SciFi called Painkiller Jane.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 02:29:44 PM

Meh doesn't begin to describe Painkiller Jane. How about - worst thing ever.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 02:30:27 PM

I haven't seen it, just the promo ads....which was enough.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 27, 2007, 03:17:49 AM

Kristanna Loken was Rayne in Bloodrayne.  Still not a good reason to watch it.

I'm not entirely sure how you can equate T3 with Highlander 2.  At least in T3 there was no "Hey, let's bring Sean Connery back from the dead!"  Or "Actually, Terminators are actually aliens from the planet Zeitgeist".  Or "Incidentally, I happen to be able to fly!" (from Highlander 2 'alternate', omgwtf? version).

T3 was shit but watchable.  The same can't be said for the Matrix sequels which were shit, boring, pretentious, shit and shit.  They were also shit.

Back on topic: 20th Century Fox, not content with running the X-Men franchise into the ground, have bought movie rights to The Sims.  Come back Uwe Boll, all is forgiven!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 05:05:48 AM

Oh man was T3 better than Highlander. And if it weren't for Highlander dorks being some of the most repulsive otaku/maniac types on the planet, I'd probably be one. ~~~~those fuckers send shivers down my spine.

-

The Sims will only be funny if it's done in the native dialect. On that note, The State beat Fox to the punch. And, damnit, I can't find that fucking video. It's the one where a mom, her kid and the mailman are all going "duh duh duh" at breakfast.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 08:13:00 AM

The Sims?  How can that possibly be turned into entertainment?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 27, 2007, 08:33:05 AM

I'm not entirely sure how you can equate T3 with Highlander 2.  At least in T3 there was no "Hey, let's bring Sean Connery back from the dead!"  Or "Actually, Terminators are actually aliens from the planet Zeitgeist".  Or "Incidentally, I happen to be able to fly!" (from Highlander 2 'alternate', omgwtf? version).

My point was that both movies took a story that had fully been tied up, and came up with a reason why there could be a continuation of a story missing an opening for a sequel.

August 29th 1997 was long past, thus Judgment Day came and went, thus why they had to come up with some story that was even remotely plausible. The could have gone off the deep end and done a Highlander 2 (which I was partially expecting) but they didn't. I think that is why I am not as critical of it as others are. The storyline was nearly as plausible as the whole "reverse engineering from a hand" thing that T2 had.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 09:41:13 AM

The Sims?  How can that possibly be turned into entertainment?

I've been wondering that about the game for years now.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 27, 2007, 11:49:09 AM

Rimshot

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 08:07:57 AM

I'm gonna trust Schild on this.  Cause his views on films are never whack.

There - added to my netflix que. I'll report back in a week or two.

Watched it this weekend. As someone who has never played the games, I was left at the last scene with a few questions.

*spoilers* maybe...
1. Ok - I'm guessing here, the three timelines/realities - There's reality which dad is in. There's the silent hill that is all ashy horrid and there's silent hill that is burning evilness. So - what's the trick for crossing from reality to ashy? And why did they not cross back? I took it that she was dead the whole time.

2. I'm no math major, but the kid looked about 10 at most. And the fire was 35 years ago, and how in the heck is she the burned girl's daughter and still 10? This doesn't make sense for the reality timeline AT ALL!

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 08:15:03 AM

They sort of deviated from the SH canon. There are reasons, based on the story and how it works, but unfortunately the movie changed a lot of it. The basic premise is this: Certain people (avoiding spoilers here) have the ability to create their own reality around them (Otherworld) and draw people into it. Otherworld is the rusty bloody OMFG MONSTERS place. At the 'edge', Where their reality and the "real" world meets and merges, that's the foggy half-there dilapidated world. They have some influence in this halfway place, but not like they do in the "Otherworld" of their own creation where their thought is actually manifest.

There isn't really a trick for crossing, you are pretty much at the whim of the creator. They do have to drag you into the halfway world before they can draw you into theirs, though. In the movie, they changed fog to ash which I thought was a nice touch and was different from the game.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:23:44 AM by bhodi »
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 08:35:39 AM

Silent Hill was fine.  It wasn't amazing, but fine.  Most of the dialogue wasn't bad, it was a visually impressive film, and the plot was decent enough to keep me engaged.  The only problem was the very last scene.

Terminator 3 sucked and if you can really say "it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be", I can't imagine why you'd set the bar for a movie that low and still see it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:49 AM

Terminator 3 sucked and if you can really say "it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be", I can't imagine why you'd set the bar for a movie that low and still see it.

Masochism?

And maybe you set the bar too high?

In my case it was merely a case of deciding I wanted to see the trainwreck unfold and judge for myself. Plus, I was bored and it was a cheap matinee.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 09:27:30 AM

I set the bar really low for it and wasn't going to bother seeing it.  A cousin of mine wanted to watch it, though, so we did.  It pretty much met my expectations.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 10:06:25 AM

I didn't mind T3, but maybe it's because I went into it with no expectations.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 29, 2007, 11:59:25 AM

So how was the kid 10? If the fire was 35 years ago?

The same way Forrest Gump lost the studio money?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 29, 2007, 12:23:23 PM

Time has little meaning in Silent Hill.  It put her out there when the time was right, it was able, she was angry enough, or whatever.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 03:03:12 PM

Time has little meaning in Silent Hill.  It put her out there when the time was right, it was able, she was angry enough, or whatever.

Or the film just made no real good goddamn sense, and sucked monkey nuts because of it.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 29, 2007, 04:43:01 PM

I just watched Bloodrayne, out of morbid curiosity.

I now have to check out all of Bolls movies.

I seldom laughed so hard about a movie this bad.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 29, 2007, 09:43:33 PM

Even I liked Silent Hill.  That says something.

Or the film just made no real good goddamn sense, and sucked monkey nuts because of it.
(Probably that I like Laurie Holden in a tight-fitting leather cop uniform, but something.)

I agree with both of you.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 30, 2007, 02:55:17 AM

More fucked up films!

I just noticed an article on AICN about the "film of the game" DOA:Dead or Alive.  It's being released in the US in a couple of weeks.

Surprised me because I noticed this on DVD in our local shop the other day.  Seems we got it here back in September.  What luck!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #66 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:11 AM

A friend linked me this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCN5TChO8s4

And just from that one scene, it is currently the movie I have laughed the most at for being so bad.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: May 30, 2007, 09:02:32 AM

The best of his movies is Alone in the Dark (well the first half). It's almost bearable. The second half turns into Scooby Doo moments surrounded by insanely stupid chunks of retard phlegm. House of the Dead is his best worst movie ever, though Bloodrayne certainly tried hard to top it.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #68 on: May 30, 2007, 03:57:17 PM

Whatever happened to Dungeon Siege anyway? He was making it, there was a trailer released that looked hysterically bad and then I never heard any more about it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 30, 2007, 04:07:04 PM

Whatever happened to Dungeon Siege anyway? He was making it, there was a trailer released that looked hysterically bad and then I never heard any more about it.
I think I saw it somewhere as planned for 2007, Rottentomatoes maybe ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: More potential "film of game" disasters  
Jump to: