Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Zombie Master~! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zombie Master~!  (Read 6325 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: May 20, 2007, 02:37:39 AM

Following on from other zombie-game-related news, steam just had a link to this, which looks kinda interesting.

http://www.zombiemaster.org/

Anyone tried it? Worth the download?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:10:06 AM

Goddammit, now I gotta buy HL2.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 05:57:10 AM

You don't have HL2 ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 06:07:10 AM

Actually, HL2 is currently discounted via Steam as well.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 11:19:56 AM

First of all, the description sounds awesome.

Second, play HL2 and Ep. 1.  My review doesn't seem to have survived the F13 server move, but I still have it on my rig.  Don't make me whip it out.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 12:59:42 PM

Just got done playing it for a few hours....it's neat, but definitely unfinished. Lots of potential.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Etro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:44:17 PM

Does the zombie master get an advantage of time to put zombies and stuff down on the map before the game begins or is it go right from the start for both teams?
Strazos

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 11:21:46 PM

I got to be a ZM only once...it seems both sides start at the same time.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:32 PM

Am i right in assuming that it plays (or tries to play) like Dungeon Keeper?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 06:25:05 AM

Just had a play with it. The Zombie Master part plays pretty roughly, but has potential, but the "survivor" was pretty fun. I did get sick of that warehouse after a few rounds though.

If you have HL2, it's worth a small (52mb) doanload to check out. It's not something to play yet, but it could become.

Strazos

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:40:38 PM

It's fun as a ZM to spawn shit in the path of fleeing survivors.

I still have not gotten the hang of truly controlling my minions. I mostly just spawn them close to people and hope the AI gets the point.

Fear the Backstab!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 06:37:51 PM

I played it all day today. SUpar fun, everyone should play. A few notable problems:

1) A bug with weapons and ammo. Sometimes, for some reason you can just not get ammo. Several times today I had 2 or more empty guns and ran over all sorts of ammo to no effect. I expect that'll get fixed fairly soon.

2) Some of the guns really need to be more powerful. I can understand the pistol sucking, but taking 3 headshots point-blank with a shirtgun to kill a zombie is too much. Forget about the Banshees or the giant whatever they were thingies. The hunting rifle is great, but good luck getting it.

3) If you don't move and act as a team, or have a single barricade destroying nub you all die. Also, make sure someone good stays in the spawn. Nothing sucks more than finding the last part only to come back and find your spawn is full of banshees.

4) Turning on the generator is fun. As is making giant barricades at the spawn entrances. Not a problem, just saying...

5)Needs another map.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Strazos

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 07:17:43 PM

Also, they need to do something with the ZM start point....half the time I end up seeing nothing, and move about desperately until I can see something, which generally takes at least a minute...that's a lot of time wasted that I should have been setting up zombies at item points or chokepoints.

Also, the movement controls as ZM need some work. Outdoors is ok, but if you need to click shit indoors, good luck.

What would be really sweet would be to make our own F13 server. Just the voice logs might make it worthwhile.

Fear the Backstab!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 08:03:40 PM

Natural Selection with NPC zombies?  HELLS YES BITCH.  I will be trying this out.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Strazos

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:49:47 PM

Good lucking getting randomly selected as the ZM. Seriously, you Might get the role once an hour.

Fear the Backstab!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:22 PM

I rate this one a meh.  I seem to spend most of my time bunny-hopping around trying to dodge zombie monkeys as they teleport around me.  It feels really spastic compared to something like Zombie Panic or Natural Selection, which are the two other mods I was hoping it would emulate.  Oh well.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 01:47:42 AM

Tell me more about this Zombie Panic...

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 10:29:48 AM

Zombie Panic

Team deathmatch with two teams: survivors and zombies.  The round starts with one zombie and everyone else as a survivor.  Every time a survivor dies, he respawns on the zombie side.  Zombies respawn as zombies, but they have a finite number of respawns allowed.  Round ends when one side or the other is annihilated.

Zombies have no ranged attacks and are slower than the survivors, so to win they generally have to either overwhelm the survivors with numbers (e.g. all gang up on one survivor and hope one of them can reach him before he shoots them all) or surprise them (e.g. hide in a dark corner that's on the way to an ammo supply and jump out going "rawr brains").  It's actually very much like the first few minutes of a Natural Selection round, where all the aliens have to be clever and stealthy to get within biting distance of a marine.

I think the idea behind Zombie Master was to shift the game away from having a small number of relatively powerful, smart, bunny-hopping zombies, and more towards a large shambling horde.  Which sounds awesome in theory.  The problem is that in the process they seem to have lost the elements of strategy and stealth that made Zombie Panic fun.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 11:33:23 AM

Any other worthwhile HL2 mods?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Zombie Master~!  
Jump to: