Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:03:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Portal Free until May 24th 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Portal Free until May 24th  (Read 4445 times)
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

on: May 13, 2010, 03:01:57 PM

To celebrate the arrival of the Mac port.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:09:02 PM

Mention of Portal 2 beta candidates or some such being picked from those playing during this period as well.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:44:33 PM

I'd never played Portal up until now. Only died once so far because I overstepped when walking backwards through a portal in test 8 (I think). Made it up to test 15 before calling it a night. I didn't think I was going to like it as I'm not usually one for puzzle type games but I do. One thing I wish it had was some sort of instant replay where you could see yourself doing all those crazy moves from a hovering camera. Frankly I dumb lucked my way through 14. I have no idea what I did but it worked.

Edit: Oh this game is evil. Just like Tetris, I'm finding myself lying in bed playing the game in my head, trying to figure out how to get through some of these puzzles. Pure digital crack.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:18:43 PM by raydeen »

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:55 AM

The game doesn't really begin until the last test chamber...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:20:20 PM

Shush, you'll ruin it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:48:02 PM

Heh heh heh. I've installed it on my Mac laptop and am replaying it (bought Torchlight for OS X too although I already own it on the PC). Fucking good game.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:40 AM

I tried Torchlight on my MacBook but so far, it's not working. Granted it's one of the '06 originals with the GMA 950 but their supposedly working on a fix. I keep hoping that work will trade me up to at least a newer MacBook with the Nvidia chip but so far no go. I'm not even going to try to attempt Portal on this thing.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 02:08:33 PM

I tried Torchlight on my MacBook but so far, it's not working. Granted it's one of the '06 originals with the GMA 950 but their supposedly working on a fix. I keep hoping that work will trade me up to at least a newer MacBook with the Nvidia chip but so far no go. I'm not even going to try to attempt Portal on this thing.

Both run great on my 27" iMac.

Portal seems interesting but I haven't enjoyed a FPS since Wolfenstein 3D. W-A-S-D what…?

After quitting a Torchlight session, though, my Steam application seems to get hung, but only after I Cmd-Tab out into another OS X application.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:36:58 PM

They need to stop putting god damn Mac re-releases in the New Arrivals section. That's some crap. At least stop when you're on a PC.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:43:06 PM

Portal seems interesting but I haven't enjoyed a FPS since Wolfenstein 3D. W-A-S-D what…?

Portal really isn't a shooter.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:44:39 PM

At least stop when you're on a PC.
A million times this. Hooooly fuck.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 11:53:46 PM

They need to stop putting god damn Mac re-releases in the New Arrivals section. That's some crap. At least stop when you're on a PC.
But you might have a Mac too! That's the whole point of Steamplay! awesome, for real
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 05:09:29 AM

Isn't there a tab for PC only (just like Mac only)?

Also, on a couple of instances already, for games tagged as Mac + Windows, I've downloaded the demo only to discover after download that it's not for my platform. That is, the demo. Not all, seems about 50-50 thus far.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 06:56:38 AM

I just tried yesterday to get the demo for Eschalon (ahem - bandwidth testing our new 10Mb connection, really...Steam has a nice graph and err...yeah), same thing. Even says it's an .app, but then won't launch. Dammit (my 1st gen intel mini won't run shit anyway).

I do like that they seem to have grandfathered in my older steam purchases, I have Portal and TL, but also the Civ 4 bundle. After the experience with the Eschalon demo, I'd want to be sure they actually run, though.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Portal Free until May 24th  
Jump to: