Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 11:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Revisiting Oblivion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Revisiting Oblivion  (Read 2853 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: May 15, 2009, 12:12:48 PM

In my time with all of the Elder Scrolls games, I've always tended towards blowing the crap out of things with raw destruction magic.  Quick and easy to simply lightning bolt some sucker in the face from fifty feet away, after all.  I've also religiously min-maxed my way to the absolute optimum character of maxed stats and level, as the game tends to tempt the hell out of the munchkin in me through the way their leveling system works.

So I decided to make a character who could never get past level 1.  I set all of his primary skills to the various schools of magic, and then simply refrained from ever using magic.  I piled on heavy armor and a shield, whipped out a sword, and started hitting things with it.  The kicker is that it works out surprisingly well.  By being permanently level 1, the random loot engine is only dropping the lowest-level stuff, so my little guy is in relatively ghetto gear, but instead of finding soul-eating demons lurking in every cave, I'm being confronted by much more mortal opponents, so there's no real problem.  His combat skills are rising slowly but steadily, so he is growing more powerful over time, but not so much that he's simply blowing everything away with a glance.  All of the flaws of Bethesda's 'we level up the enemies with you' system are completely alleviated by...simply not ever leveling.  No mods required!

Another thing I've never done is make real use of Conjuration magic.  Why bother summoning some monster when I have my custom-built planet crusher spell?  So as a second new character, I built a weaselly little bastard who sneaks around, summons monsters to fight for him, then snipes people with arrows while they're busy fighting the summoned monster.  No armor, no melee skills, no destruction magic, the only direct offense he possesses is a bow.  This character I didn't rig to stay at level 1, but neither is he crafted for optimum leveling, so he should settle down around the teen levels rather than shooting straight to the thirties.  He's working out well too; opening with a sneak attack crit from an arrow to the face does a pretty satisfying chunk of damage.

I'm playing with my usual Elder Scrolls rules.  I'll steal valuables and useful things, but not knick-knacks.  I won't use any cheesy tricks for permanent invisibility, total damage resistance, or anything else that makes me essentially invincible.  Ditto for daedric game-breakers like the ultimate lockpick, and no exploiting game bugs.  Everything else is open season as my characters bravely burgle, rob, and murder their way to saving the world from evil.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07:24 PM

uh, there's, like, a thing called radicalthon up there...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:49:34 PM

Needs pictures.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:35 PM

I still want an Oblivion mod that lets me use Fallout 3 gear.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:12:08 PM

I still want an Oblivion mod that lets me use Fallout 3 gear.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I want an Oblivion Mod that makes Oblivion feel like less of a wasteland when compared to Fallout.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 02:20:43 PM

I want an Oblivion Mod that makes Oblivion feel like less of a wasteland when compared to Fallout.

I just want them to fix the engine with whatever they did to make peoples' faces not look like shit in Fallout.

But anyhow, this isn't Radicalthon-worthy content.  Any screenshots I took would just be 'Here's some guy in a cave.  I killed him.'  And huge, since I'm using a 1080p monitor for my computer.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:23:38 PM

FWIW I don't think it is possible to be 'content complete' with a level 1 character - most of the Daedra shrine quests have minimum levels - but it sounds like you've probably played it enough before to not care.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:53:30 PM

I have homebrew mods from Oblivion and Morrowind that almost completely scrap the retarded point allocation / multipliers system they use.  It's been a while since I played either, but I made a script that gives you one point in the associated stat per three skill levels, and one point in luck for every character level.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:07:18 PM

Oblivion is the one TES game that I pretty much choose not to go all over-powered-nuke-em-all-to-hell in. Something about Oblivion brings out the sneaky little weasel thief in me.  I love being able to snipe my enemies from 5 feet away doing 3x damage 'cause they have no idea I'm there. Of course it goes both ways. If something gets the jump on me, I'm pretty much toast, but that's alright as I'm able to keep reloading the save until I figure out how to jump them.

Hmmm...I am getting an urge to do an Arena Radicalthon now though....

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:53:16 PM

They brought on one of the guys who did the Thief games for Oblivion.  It shows.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:09:15 AM

I'm done.  It took me about 2 hours of playing this title to get bored.  I apologize to anyone that started playing this again because of me. 

Back to Championship manager and CoH. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:18 AM

Anyone know how to slow down the passage of time in the game?

Days seem to pass at a rate of one every hour or two. I feel the need to have days pass in near-real time.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 03:53:34 AM

Anyone know how to slow down the passage of time in the game?

Days seem to pass at a rate of one every hour or two. I feel the need to have days pass in near-real time.

You can use the CS to do this. Simply go to either settings, or global something. I can't remember. Anyways, somewhere in one of those should be "timescale." The value will be "30." This means time is 30 times faster. (2 secs = 1 min, etc...)

If you want 1 game hour to be one real life minute... set value to 60. Because then 1 second in real life is 60 seconds in game... To make one game hour be one half hour, set the timescale to 2. To make it uber realistic, make it 1.

Or, while in console type in (for 30 mins real = 1 hour game time)

set timescale to 2
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 08:31:46 AM

Fantastic, sir. Fantastic.

EDIT: Just found Delte's List of Immersion Mods. Like mana from heaven. One of the mods it plugs is a Timescale Ring.

Seriously, there's no excuse for needing to edit ini files to be able to take screenshots...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:47:42 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05:13 AM

Seriously, there's no excuse for needing to edit ini files to be able to take screenshots...

If you need anything simple done I know way more than is healthy about the CS.  I'd actually recommend you give it a shot, it's entertaining how utterly bad some of the scripting practices are.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Revisiting Oblivion  
Jump to: