Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 12:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mongol 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mongol  (Read 2755 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

on: December 30, 2009, 08:05:48 AM

Pretty well done life of Khan that came out a couple of years ago. Asano Tadanabou (was in Ichi and the blind samurai remake.. and umm a shitload of other things) plays the title part well... the narrative is a little hard to follow at times, but it's a superbly shot flick. If you like a lot of nature photography, this is a good pick.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:41 AM

Pretty well done life of Khan that came out a couple of years ago. Asano Tadanabou (was in Ichi and the blind samurai remake.. and umm a shitload of other things) plays the title part well... the narrative is a little hard to follow at times, but it's a superbly shot flick. If you like a lot of nature photography, this is a good pick.

Great Blu-Ray film too.  Best Buy generally sells this for like 15 bucks.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:20:00 PM

Great movie but historically inaccurate.  It prompted me to buy this book, which is awesome :

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:55:55 PM

It's actually pronounced Chingis.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:00:19 PM

I dunno, I thought Wayne's performance was solid.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:57:16 PM

I dunno, I thought Wayne's performance was solid.

Wayne? For a second I was confusing Bill and Ted with Wayne's world.. and umm... nevermind.

Who is Wayne?

[edit] On another note, the guy who played Temujin's rival Jamukha.. the blood brother and other powerful Mongol.. was good. But that was the big inaccurate part. He wasn't let free. The one thing that sticks in my mind about the Khan's history is the execution of that dude. He was put on his knees, with a stick tied on his shoulders... then bent backwards. Fuck me!!! I can never get that shit out of my head. Worst death ever.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:01:09 PM by stray »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:00:22 PM

John Wayne played Genghis Khan in some old movie and it was silly as fuck.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:49:27 PM

Was this the one where they turned Khan's early life into a goddamn sweeping epic romance novel? Yeah, it was pretty, but the romance angle really diminished it for me.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:28:25 PM

That's because he was a romantic. The guy sure loved his women. He makes Wilt Chamberlain look like a choir boy.

Seriously though, he actually did go to war to reclaim his wife. There's a line in the movie though where his friend tells him not to ever confess that he went to war over a woman. It's unheard of, and really... still unheard of. But considering that was the 1200's, and the guy still did that, it might be safe to say he was a romantic. The hoaky part of the story might be the most accurate.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:06:45 PM by stray »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:26:12 PM

There's a line in the movie though where his friend tells him not to ever confess that he went to war over a woman. It's unheard of, and really... still unheard of. But considering that was the 1200's, and the guy still did that, it might be safe to say he was a romantic. The hoaky part of the story might be the most accurate.
The Trojans would like a word with you  awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 05:43:09 PM

Yeah "unheard of" is not the first thing that leapt to mind.

The Conqueror is the John Wayne movie in question. You can easily find other equally ridiculous pictures of him in the role elsewhere on the net. Probably the most notorious 'yellowface' role out there.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:51:39 PM

Doh. I really didn't mean "unheard of" in some definite way. Just trying to illustrate how crazy it is.

The funny thing is though, Haemish names himself after a Braveheart character, which is itself full of romantic shit.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? edit: I think?!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:57:14 PM by stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:37:43 PM

You are correct. Braveheart is an unabashedly bad in historical terms, almost proud of its clueless inaccuracy. The character Haemish is still fucking awesome, the battle scenes are cool (even though they are horribly inaccurate) and despite its pretentiousness, its melodrama and historical inaccuracy, it's still a movie that inspires me. I wanted Mongol to do that, but the romance angle wasn't what I expected and wasn't all that interesting to me. The movie didn't suck - it's still gorgeous to watch, great battle scenes, etc. But the interpersonal stuff is slow and not all that interesting to me.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 02:55:44 AM

I agree for the most part :)

Actually, I have that expectation about most movies like this.. "I hope this is as good as Braveheart". They never are.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mongol  
Jump to: