Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1370628 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2695 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:51 PM

Jesus, they need to change the name. I suggest Fantastical Land of Digital Assrapery.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2696 on: April 03, 2015, 06:49:59 PM

Just to give people some lulz for the weekend, the MMO Greed Monger (whoever thought of that name should be kicked in the balls so hard that they come out the top of their head), that got $100k on Kick Starter, had its one and only dev quit today amid much drama and the game is essentially DOA.  Not that it was ever going to see the light of day anyway since it reeked of a KS scam since day one.  I'm not going to go into this too deeply since no one would have given a shit about GM had it released anyway, but sufficed to say the man behind the whole thing, Jason Appleton, is one of the biggest douche bags I've ever seen involved in gaming.  He's threatened to sue pretty much anyone and everyone over the past few years when he's been called on his bullshit and comes across as an internet tough guy because he's involved in MMA and looks like a fairly large man.  If you feel like doing a really lame Easter egg hunt, check out the links scattered in thread posted below.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:51:53 PM by Ginaz »
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #2697 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:26 PM

Threats and intimidation hide weakness. A secure person has no use of the tool.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2698 on: April 07, 2015, 02:22:39 PM

Tools are tools.  Hammer for nails, etc.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2699 on: April 07, 2015, 02:31:40 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2700 on: April 08, 2015, 03:45:07 AM

The rest of Q2's releases:

4/15

Mortal Kombat X - PS4, XB1, PC     Loved the last one. This one looks great as well.

GTA V - PC     Beat this game a year and a half ago, but hey at least now it's prettier.

4/21

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China - PS4, XB1, PC     When a yearly franchise just isn't enough, churn out cheap downloadable games also.

Dungeons 2 - PC     Spent two minutes looking this up. Don't care.

4/28

State of Decay- Year-One Survival Edition - XB1, PC      Enhanced version of the game I guess.   

Omega Quintet - PS4     Looks like some Sailor Moon shit.

The Golf Club: Collector's Edition - PlayStation 4 - PS4     It's Golf.

Tropico 5 - PS4     If you want to pay $60 for a console version of Tropico....

Broken Age - PC     The game is complete a mere 3 years and 2 months after being funded.

Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown - PC     Speaking of Kickstarter, this is the game formerly known as Shadowrun Online. I like Shadowrun. This might be ok.

5/5

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker - 3DS    Someone into SMT games can comment on this.

5/8

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush - Wii U     I like that every Nintendo game description now has to tell me what Amiibos I can use with it.

5/12

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition - PS4      In case you felt the PS3 and Vita didn't have the power to do these mediocre FF games justice.

Trainz: A New Era     There's enough of an audience for these games that someone makes a $200 train controller

5/19

The Witcher: Wild Hunt - PS4, XB1, PC    Has looked ok in previews but I didn't like the first two games, and the delays haven't been encouraging.

Farming Simulator 15 - PS4, PS3, XB1, 360      "Manage your farm with new vehicles from brands like New Holland, Case IH, Lamborghini, Ponsse, Horsch, Kuhn and more"

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed - Vita

Arcania - The Complete Tale - PS4    I'm sure after four years and a port to current gen consoles people will be dying to get their hands on these games that nobody gave much of a shit about before.

5/22

Puzzle and Dragons Dual Pack - 3DS

5/25

Splatoon - Wii U     Good things were said about it when it was initially revealed but haven't heard much since.

Project Cars - PS4, XB1     Delayed multiple times. Creative director's statement that: "Project CARS innovates in so many ways; such as its free-from career mode, removal of ‘grinding’ cash or XP systems, dynamic time of day and weather, support for 12K resolution and virtual reality devices like Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus, and performance at 1080p, 60fps – not to mention its multi-platform approach." doesn't do much to convince me that it was time well spent.

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven - 3DS    Too generic to even comment.

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - 3DS     By all means, explain to me why it's perfectly ok for adults to buy this game.

Legend of Kay Anniversary - Wii U, PS4, PC     Another current gen port of a game people didn't care much about the first time around. This time it's a 10 year old PS2 game.

Crookz: The Big Heist - PC     Kalypso likes publishing games.

Velocity 2X - PC      Port of the fairly well regarded PS4 game

6/2

Apparently nothing.

6/9

Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - PS4, XB1, PC     Hey, it's that MMO I'm not playing.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - Vita

6/16

Payday 2 Crimewave - PS4, XB1     Probably likely that anyone here interested in the Payday games is already playing them on the PC.

6/23

Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4, XB1, PC     Another Batman game.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward - PS4, PS3, PC     Eh, maybe.

Ride - PS4, XB1     Recently delayed in the U.S., but apparently currently available in the U.K. and receiving somewhat poor reviews.

6/30

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos - 'Banana Split' Edition - PS4     I don't know much about this game or series. The wikipedia page baffled me, and the See Also section at the bottom suggested I follow a link to "Big Tits Zombie" which it says is similarly themed.

EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR - PS4, XB1     The end of the Tiger Woods era.

LEGO Jurassic World - Everything but the PC     Rapidly approaching the 20th Lego: Insert movie name here.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Generation - Vita     You may notice at this point that I refuse to comment on Vita exclusive games.

F1 2015 - PS4, XB1     Annual Codemasters F1 game

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - PS4, PS3, XB1, Vita     Never played any of these.

Mortal Kombat X - PS3, 360
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2701 on: April 08, 2015, 08:17:31 AM

Not having a 3DS, so having to skip on the new Shin Megami Tensei game, I can candidly say I have zero interest in every single game listed there. Sad times.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2702 on: April 08, 2015, 09:06:06 AM

It's not actually a new one; it's a remake of Devil Survivor 2 which was an original DS game. I'll elaborate on the JRPGs Velorath skipped when I get home.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2703 on: April 08, 2015, 10:54:44 AM

AFAIK Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy is a remake of the first two games in the Generation XTH trilogy for the PC (2008-2010ish). I played the first game of the series, and found it to be a really good dungeon crawler (I definitely liked it better than its contemporaries Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey and Elminage Gothic, anyway). My only beef is that it's Yet Another Wizardry 1-3 Clone on a basic gameplay level.

Seriously considering getting a Vita just for that game and Demon Gaze (same dev)... we'll see.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:57:00 AM by Zetor »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2704 on: April 08, 2015, 10:59:51 AM

It's the same dev but I don't think it's a remake. I've played Demon Gaze but wouldn't rate it better than the EO series; are the Generatiom XTH games that good?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2705 on: April 08, 2015, 11:13:25 AM

It's definitely a remake of XTH... same characters, same plot, same maps, etc (from what little I've seen in the trailers and that brief Twitch stream they did, anyway). There are some new additions like a FOE system and bounties, there's a proper intro dungeon and one of the main bosses is a bit uh... more palatable, but other than that it seems to be faithful to the original. I did a LP here if you're curious.

I mainly liked it for a few reasons:
- the map design is really good. The critical path dungeon maps aren't too complex, but their layout makes sense and stuff. The optional dungeon maps (Babel) can be pretty fucking evil at times.
- the setting (cyberpunk > fantasy) and a relative lack of ridiculous fan-service (there's a lot of "oh, Japan" in the main plot, but I think that's expected).
- with all the pacing issues, I still liked its balance between combat and noncombat sections (counterpoint: Demon Gaze, where it's pretty much alternating between "clear dungeon" and "endure 15-20min cutscene").
- zero grinding... I've completed the entire game and most of the postgame without grinding at any point. There's SOME grinding for a particular postgame mission, but I just didn't bother finishing that one. Choosing the right tactics for a particular boss fight matters a lot more than itemlevels.
- no ridiculous stat inflation that lots of dungeon crawlers are prone to (Elminage is probably the bestworst example here)
- completely subjective opinion: mapping isn't limited by consumables (screw you, Elminage), nor do you have to draw your own map (screw you, EO).

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2706 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:27 AM

Ahh, mostly personal preference then. I like fantasy more than cyberpunk, and I love me some fanservice. Doing my own mapping in EO is cool too; brings back that old school feel of pnp mapping.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2707 on: April 08, 2015, 02:51:36 PM

I can candidly say I have zero interest in every single game listed there. Sad times.

I'd agree with you except Mortal Kombat X is probably my most anticipated game for the rest of the year aside from unknown stuff like No Man's Sky which could turn out amazing or really shitty or not even end up coming out this year.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2708 on: April 08, 2015, 03:16:33 PM

Coming Soon: Weeaboo Edition

Omega Quintet - PS4 - 4/28 A Compa/IF JRPG (so schild will surely hate it) that's also part idol sim (think Love Live or any of the Miku games). It's going to be fanservice-tastic but probably nothing special in terms of gameplay.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker - 3DS - 5/5 A port of SMT:DS2 that features a new post-game chapter, more voice acting, and a bunch of other random stuff. It's a grid-based SMT SRPG.

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed - Vita - 5/19 A Nep Nep game made by Tamsoft (see Onechanbara, below) so it will be full of action and fanservice instead of the standard turn based Nep Nep gameplay.

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven - 3DS - 5/25 An SRPG who's combat is similar to Valkyria Chronicles. It's also got romance options, so you can have waifus. Graphics are standard 3d-3DS game crap, so I might pass. Y U NO USE SPRITES NEMORE!?

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - 3DS - 5/25 A rhythm game with chibi 3d graphics; also features touch screen controls for the first time.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - Vita - 6/9 A Wizardry clone that's apparently a port of an older one that never made it stateside.

Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos - 'Banana Split' Edition - PS4 - 6/30 Fanservice and zombie killing, what's not to love?

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Generation - Vita - 6/30 The third installment in the main series of Nep Nep games, with it's more traditional RPG combat. The Vita ports of these have been much better than the PS3 originals, and the story is always hilarious and full of anime/game references.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2709 on: April 08, 2015, 03:45:51 PM

Which ones have the most fan service? this guy looks legit
schild
Administrator

Reply #2710 on: April 08, 2015, 03:52:44 PM

Every single one of those titles is top to bottom fan service. Including Devil Survivor.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2711 on: April 09, 2015, 07:11:54 AM

Which ones have the most fan service? this guy looks legit

Oneechanbara, easily.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #2712 on: April 10, 2015, 05:27:55 PM

Darkside Games unable to deliver Phantom Dust multiplayer game for 5 million. MS cuts ties.
http://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142

schild
Administrator

Reply #2713 on: April 10, 2015, 05:39:45 PM

Calling it Babel and only dumping $2M into it doesn't jive with me.

I like codenames that fit the product.

"Discarded Child" would've worked well here.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2714 on: April 10, 2015, 05:48:56 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2715 on: April 11, 2015, 08:04:04 AM

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:07:22 AM by Falconeer »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2716 on: April 11, 2015, 10:52:19 AM

God that looks fun. I don't think they've announced for the west yet though. I really hope it's good.

I started a third playthrough of DD this week and I realized it's probably my favorite game in the past five, maybe ten years.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2717 on: April 13, 2015, 05:41:30 PM

FUUUUUCCKKKIIIINNNNGGGG  AAAAMMMIIIIBBBBOOOOOOSSS

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2718 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:25 PM

EA is closing four of its online games, not that anyone really cares.   Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Play4Free, Need for Speed World and FIFA World.  Apart from Battlefield Heroes (briefly), I haven't played them so I can't comment on their quality.  Also mentioned in the link below is that SWTOR is doing really well and they plan on adding more story driven game updates.  Probably going to put everyone who wasn't fired from those four other games to work on SWTOR.

http://www.mmobomb.com/news/ea-announces-closure-4-games-praising-swtor/

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2719 on: April 15, 2015, 11:46:00 PM

I've played all 4 of those F2P games and unless you can't afford their for pay counterparts, they were nothing to write home about. Everything they did for free was done better in the paid versions.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2720 on: April 17, 2015, 05:56:09 AM

Wasn't Battlefield Heroes the one where the devs did that big presentation basically saying P2W was the best way to go and okay because free players felt "Accomplishment" from killing people with P2W items?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2721 on: April 17, 2015, 07:58:15 AM

The only accomplishment I've ever felt from a video game was turning it off to accomplish something. Games are for not accomplishing.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2722 on: April 17, 2015, 01:10:43 PM

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2723 on: April 17, 2015, 01:29:52 PM

Game engine footage my arse.

Will still buy.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2724 on: April 17, 2015, 02:02:31 PM

Game engine != game play. Even EQ1 was way nicer in beta than after 'optimizations'.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2725 on: April 17, 2015, 05:01:03 PM

Game engine footage my arse.

Will still buy.

Exactly.  In engine footage is not the same as in game.  But, yeah, day 1 purchase for me.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2726 on: April 17, 2015, 10:58:16 PM

Yeah, there is no way that what they are claiming as in-game footage will be obtainable outside of that .001% that have the very best GPUs and CPUs.  Which of course means that I now have to figure out how to be in that .001% because that looks goddamn flabbergastingly amazing.  Honestly, if it even looks sorta close to that, then just take my money right now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2727 on: April 18, 2015, 12:09:48 AM

"In-engine" is meaningless these days.

Many engines have built-in support for cutscene editing, including the use of better models, more elaborate lighting, etc. It's also possible to do tricks like capture the footage at 10FPS with a slowed-down internal clock then speed it back up to make it appear 30 or 60.

"In-engine" really just means "on a computer."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2728 on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:01 PM

It's a DICE game right? Wait until 6-7 months after release and see if it's still kicking. If it is, buy it on the cheap. If not, move on with your life. Gives them time to fix all of the stuff that will be utterly broken and unfun, and go on sale a few times.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2729 on: April 20, 2015, 05:47:31 AM

It could be a Serek Dmart game and yet based on the IP, the time period in said IP, and that trailer, I'd still buy it on day 1. I wanted to pilot an AT-AT since 1980. I just can't wait one single day more than the release date. Hell, I might consider preordering.

And yes, that's clearly NOT in-game footage but I don't care.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: